- There are some horrible deaths in the first two installments; when a fierce slash as the final hit of the last round may cut the opponent in half or convert him/her in a fountain of blood. And behind the winner making his/her pose, the corpse of the loser is leaving the stage in a coffin.
- Samurai Shodown V Special's Overkills/Zetsumei Ougis. Some of the most brutal ones are as follows:
- Rasetsumaru: Rips the opponent's heart out with his bare hands, then crushes it before their very eyes and begins drinking the flowing blood as they collapse.
- Kusaregedo: Drags his opponent off-screen and then eats them alive while you hear screaming. Then he comes back onto the screen and vomits up their skull. If his opponent was Mina, he spits out her bra and panties instead after devouring her.
- Enja: Grabs the opponent in a stranglehold and engulfs himself and the opponent in a pillar of flames, incinerating them alive while a silhouette of his full demon form can be seen.
- Jubei: Splits his opponent vertically and horizontally.
- Suija: Throws the opponent onto the ground, then manipulates the water within their body in order to telekinetically lift them above his head. Then you see him close his hand into a fist, and hear the opponent's death scream in addition to a Sickening "Crunch!". He then leans back, and the opponent's blood begins to rain down upon him as he basks in ecstasy.
- Hanzo: Breaks the foe's arms, then their legs, then leaps into the air (shattering their ribcage as they ascend) and piledrives them headfirst into the ground so hard that their skull cracks, killing them due to fractured pieces of bone impaling their brain.
- Kyoshiro: Slashes the opponent as Kuroko the judge watches, then summons a flame which blows off the opponent's head and right arm.
- Basara: Drags the opponent into a bottomless pit, where we hear the victim's screams as Basara viciously mutilates them until only their disembodied head remains, which is tossed out of the portal as it closes.
- Yunfei: Tears out his opponent's soul, then cuts it in half, killing them.
- Zankuro: Braces himself with by planting himself firmly on the ground, charges up energy as if he were performing his super, but instead creates a full-screen Sword Beam that completely obliterates the opponent clean into ashes, leaving only their feet.
- The character's reactions are Nightmare Fuel, too (and sometimes, a Tear Jerker).
- Shizumaru, a demon-possessed boy who fights with a Parasol of Pain, only wanted to knock out a foe but the demon inside him splits the foe in two instead, reducing the poor boy to tears and apologies).
- Mina, the archer girl, throws down her bow and arrows in horror and turns away after obliterating her opponent with explosives.
- Nakoruru, the cute girl with the hawk pet and the female protagonist, hesitates for several seconds before realizing she has no choice but to finish the opponent.
- Rimururu, Nakoruru's younger sister, freezes her foes, then crushes them with a icy hammer. That foe should have shattered to a million pieces, but Rimururu simply smiles at the screen, unaware of what she's just done.
- Some of the Seppukus are bad as well. Kyoshiro is eaten by his own frog; Basara slashes his own throat, rather graphically; Rimururu freezes herself alive; Enja rots into bones...
- The old SNK site had an entry on how to make a Gandara, the mid-boss of Samurai Shodown 64. It gives a new meaning to Powered by a Forsaken Child.
- Kusaregedo is terrifying in concept alone. In life he was forced to succumb to cannibalism in order to survive the Great Tenmei Famine, but as punishment he returned from the dead as a gaki, or "hungry ghost", cursed with an insatiable desire to eat everyone and everything in sight, but he especially craves children. In his ending, he devours his own daughter. His main weapon is the bone of his right arm; it's not clear if he merely summoned it out of his arm or if he ate his own arm and gnawed the bone sharp, but given his victory pose where he starts eating himself, the latter is more likely. The developers said themselves they wanted to make a character uglier than both Earthquake and Gen-An. They succeeded.
- One of the victory poses of Basara is with Kagaribi's ghost appearing in his arms, but then the ghost converts into bones and dust in front of him, and then Basara screams in pain for the loss unaware that her death was caused by Basara himself.
- Decapitations in Samurai Shodown Sen are of particular note, as the victims' headless bodies will spasm and convulse in death while lying on the ground.
- The fact that children are engaging in death matches in itself can be very nightmare-inducing. Nakoruru was only 15 when she first debuted, and Suzu, a protagonist of Samurai Showdown Sen, is 14-years-old. These same children within the series are subject to the same horrifying fatalities and brutal death listed above.
- In 5 Special, defeating Nakoruru or Rimururu with certain Fatalities will result in a special KO cry from both of them: a bloodcurdling, agonized scream.
- Death animations return in the 2019 game, and they are particularly unnerving to watch in the new 3D engine. Characters will either spray blood all over the winner as they crumple to the ground, or will be sliced in half horizontally. In both cases, they eerily fade away into nothingness. There's also the new version of the Issen, which is presented in a Single-Stroke Battle style camera shot, and killing the opponent with it results in them slumping over in pain and dying in a pool of their own blood.
- Shizuka Gozen is a possessed spirit who is fought in a very surreal dimension that looks like you're fighting inside of a tapestry. Architecture seemingly manifests from out of nowhere, and the scenery, although beautiful, is very unnatural, looking very clearly drawn in watercolor. It gets even worse in Round 2, where things suddenly turn much darker and more chaotic. Shizuka herself, when she loses the mask, is shown with black eyes and yellow pupils and as she taps on her drum you can see her skin become transparent, revealing her skeleton.
Nightmare Fuel / Samurai Shodown