A Work In Progress timeline for SNK's Samurai Shodown series, set in the Edo Period of Japan. Any help is welcome.
According to Samurai Shodown V
's official timeline
and future additions after this timeline, this is the canonical set of the games:
- 1786 (January through late summer) Samurai Shodown V
- 1787 Samurai Shodown (2019)
- 1788 (early spring through early summer) Samurai Shodown
- 1788 (summer through early autumn) Samurai Shodown III
- 1788 (autumn through early winter) Samurai Shodown IV
- 1789 (spring through summer) Samurai Shodown II
- 1789 (autumn) through 1790 (summer) Samurai Shodown 64
- 1790 (late autumn through winter) Samurai Shodown 64: Warriors Rage
- 1791 Samurai Shodown: Edge of Destiny
- 1811 Samurai Shodown: Warriors Rage
- 2016 - The King of Fighters XIVnote
- Samurai Shodown V Special - An update of V with various changes, between them the replacement of Sankuro, Yumeji and Poppy for Amakusa, Zankuro and Mizuki.
- Samurai Shodown VI - Stated as a Dream Match Game than a canon one, occurs in a parallel world where all characters are alive, as well alternate versions of them coexist in the same universe.
- Samurai Shodown RPG - Sets during the events of II, but with different versions of the same events as well new characters added.
- Nakoruru: Ano Hito kara no Okurimono (Nakoruru ADV outside Japan) - Set between the 2 first games. Although it works as a backstory for Nakoruru and her relative characters (Rimururu and Rera), it is unclear how much of this story is canon.
- Neo Geo Pocket games - Both games served as ports for existing games (Samurai Shodown! for IV and Samurai Shodown! 2 for 64-2.)
- Mobile games (i-note, Android, iPhone, etc.), Pachinko games and in general all other Spin-Off titles.
- All cameo appearances of Samurai Shodown characters in other SNK (and other companies) Crisis Crossover games, especially The King of Fighters series excepting XIV, which Nakoruru's appearance is canon.
To be added...