Zedd (born Anton Igorevich Zaslavski, Антон Игоревич Заславский on September 2, 1989) is an Electronic Music producer and DJ. Initially a classically trained pianist, he became interested in electronic music as a teenager after hearing the Cross album by Justice. He got his start in the electronic scene when he won two different Beatport remix contests; his first original release, "The Anthem", broke into the Beatport Electro house Top 20. His remix of Skrillex's "Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites" broke into the Beatport Electro House Top Ten charts, coming to rest at number 2. His career has included not only his own original material, but several remixes, collaborations, and producing music for other artists including Lady Gaga, Skrillex, Justin Bieber, and more. His music is primarily Electro House with touches of Dubstep.
- The Anthem (Remixes EP) (2011)
- Autonomy EP (2011)
- Shave It The Aftershave (2011)
- Stars Come Out (Remixes EP) (2012)
- Spectrum EP (2012)
- Clarity (2012)
- Clarity (Remixes EP) (2013)
- True Colors (2015)
Tropes applying to Zedd's work:
- Audience Participation Song: During live shows (as of January 2016), this includes but is not limited to: "Done With Love", "Beautiful Now", "Clarity", "Rude (Zedd Remix)", "Stay The Night", "Find You", "Spectrum", and "I Want You To Know".
- Child Prodigy: He has been playing piano since the age of nine.
- Fading into the Next Song: On "Clarity", Hourglass flawlessly transitions into Shave It Up.
- True Colors takes the cake on this trope. Done With Love goes straight into the album title track very easily, Papercut fades into Bumble Bee with no trouble at all, and Daisy and Illusion are practically two sides to one long track.
- Genre Roulette: For the most part, he produces Electro House with touches of dubstep, but has incorporated classical music, pop and progressive house into his music. This is especially noticeable in his second studio album True Colors.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners:
- We can assume Zedd is this with deadmau5.
- He also has a similar relationship with Skrillex and Dillon Francis.
- I Can't Believe It's Not Heroin!: "Clarity" is a song about a couple whose love ends in tragedy, right? However, one theory about the song, based on clues from the lyrics and music video, suggests it's actually about dealing with addiction to crystal methamphetamine.
- Rock Me, Amadeus!: Did a remix of "In the Hall of the Mountain King" called Dovregubben.
- Sampling: The lyrics "Bumble Bee" are taken from Roger Troutman's song "Break Through", with help from Canadian funk duo Chromeo's talkbox vocals.
- Self-Backing Vocalist: Played with. While Zedd never sings the lead vocals of a song himself, he does provide backing vocals for the singer who is.
- Title Track: "Clarity".