Kelela Mizanekristos (born June 3, 1983) is an Ethiopian-American singer and songwriter, known for her blend of classic R&B vocals and writing with futuristic, cutting-edge electronic production.
After working with several producers in the underground club scene, she released her debut mixtape Cut 4 Me to wide acclaim. In 2015, she signed to Warp Records and released her debut EP Hallucinogen. Two years after that, after having collaborated with people like Gorillaz, Danny Brown, Solange and more, she finally released her much-anticipated debut album Take Me Apart, one of the most critically acclaimed albums of the year 2017.
- Cut 4 Me (Mixtape) (2013)
- Hallucinogen (EP) (2015)
- Take Me Apart (Album) (2017)
Provides examples of the following tropes:
- Bilingual Bonus: Her logo, which is the Amharic word for "Kelela", that also means "protection" in the language.
- Deranged Animation: The video for "Frontline", which takes a Sims-like aestethic to tell a surreal tale about a break-up.
- Dream Team: She's collaborated with people like Danny Brown, Solange, Gorillaz, Arca and many others.
- Lyrical Dissonance: Usually found in her music, like for example on "Enough", an upbeat albeit experimental track that's about the decay of a relationship.
- Neoclassical Punk Zydeco Rockabilly: Her music is R&B without a doubt, but heavily influenced by club music of all kinds. On her debut album, Take Me Apart, she takes influences from art pop, ambient and even orchestral music.
- Surreal Music Video: The ones for "A Message" and "Blue Light".
- Textless Album Cover: Hallucinogen