In 2014, she released her first commercial mixtape, Cloud 19. The mixtape was listed as one of the Complex's "50 Best Albums of 2014." In 2015, Kehlani released her second commercial mixtape, You Should Be Here. The mixtape debuted at number 5 on the national R&B/Hip-Hop chart, preceded from her sold-out North American promotional tour. In 2016, she was nominated for the Grammy Award for Best Urban Contemporary Album for You Should Be Here. Kehlani released her first major-label debut album, SweetSexySavage on January 27, 2017.
In 2019, she released her third mixtape While We Wait, to both critical acclaim and commercial success.
- Cloud 19 (2014)
- You Should Be Here (2015)
- While We Wait (2019)
- SweetSexySavage (2017)
- It Was Good Until It Wasn't (May 8, 2020)
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Her song Gangsta has her singing about wanting a gangsta as a boyfriend.
- But Not Too Black: In an interview with Billboard magazine, she has described her ethnicity as a mix of "Black/White/Mexican and Filipino"
- Heritage Disconnect: In a Billboard interview, Kehlani reveals the origins of her name Kehlani are Hawaiian despite not herself being of Hawaiian descent at all. It's because of this a lot of Hawaiian fans who encountered her got mad at her.
- Ms. Fanservice: Her "Distraction" video and duet with Hayley Kiyoko.
- Nightmare Fuel: As beautiful as the cover photo for her album "It Was Good Until It Wasn't", the back-drop photo of what's behind Kehlani that makes it unsettling. Some fans have even mistaken the collapsing building for 9/11 though Kehlani was quick to point out that it wasn't 9/11 happening behind her, just a random collapsing building.
- Retroactive Recognition: In 2011, Kehlani auditioned for the sixth season of America's Got Talent with the group Pop Lyfe, and eventually finished in fourth place.
- Slap-Slap-Kiss: "F&MU"details a fight between dysfunctional lovers being resolved in the bedroom.