The Guardians is a sixteen book series written by Victor Milan (under the pen name Richard Austin) set After the End of a devastating nuclear war in the USA in the 1980s. Four elite soldiers, one from each branch of the US military were selected to be "The Guardians", an elite Special Forces team answerable only to the President. After the war, they were charged with getting the President to safety then starting the rebuilding the country by seeking out the elements of the top secret "Blueprint for Renewal" plan.
The Guardians are:
- William McKay - US Marine and Special Forces leader of The Guardians. The Big Guy and The Hero - enjoys kicking ass and taking names and the company of the ladies. Said to look a lot like Jim McMahon though not quite as pretty. Big enough to pack an M60 full dress machine gun as a personal weapon.
- Casey Wilson - Ace Pilot from the US Air Force and Friendly Sniper. The most laid back and loose of The Guardians.
- Sam Sloan - US Navy Commander and survivor of an Exocet missile attack on his ship. A Southern Gentleman, nevertheless is still capable of beating a man to death with his bare hands.
- Tom Rogers - The Stoic and The Medic of The Guardians and US Army Special Forces veteran. Quiet and unassuming he neverless is one of the few people even McKay would be loath to take on.
This work provides examples of:
- Shoot Out the Lock: Defied. When asked by a teenager if he was going to shoot out the lock on a locked door, William replies that it's a "great way to collect a bullet in the nuts, kid, and probably wouldn't open the door." He then proceeds to use a crowbar instead.
- Truce Zone: The "Rubble Mart" - the centre of trade in a ruined city where rival gang members who'd normally cheerfully kill each other tolerate each other's presence. The last time trouble broke out, the mart was shut down until the perpetrator's bodies were delivered to it. Even After the End, trade is an absolute necessity for survival.