Ghost in the Shell is a Cyberpunk and/or Post-Cyberpunk franchise about a cyborg woman in an elite Japanese police force. While each part shares the same characters, settings, and themes, the plot and continuity varies between the different adaptations.
Works in the Ghost in the Shell franchise:
- Ghost in the Shell: The original manga by Shirow Masamune. Had two sequels, Ghost in the Shell 1.5: Human Error Processor and Ghost in the Shell 2: Man-Machine Interface.
- Ghost In The Shell Global Neural Network: A manga collaboration between Shirow Masamune and writers Max Gladstone, Alex de Campi, David López, Giannis Milonogiannis, Genevieve Valentine, Brent Schoonover, Brenden Fletcher and LRNZ.
- Ghost in the Shell: The 1995 anime film adaption, directed by Mamoru Oshii. Had a sequel, Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence.
- Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: The 2002 anime TV series adaptation. Followed up by the second season, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: 2nd Gig.
- Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - Solid State Society, an OVA continuation which takes place two years after the events of 2nd Gig.
- Ghost In The Shell SAC 2045: The 2020 revival.
- Ghost In The Shell Stand Alone Complex The Lost Memory
- Ghost In The Shell Stand Alone Complex Revenge Of The Cold Memory
- Ghost In The Shell Stand Alone Complex White Maze
- Ghost In The Shell Stand Alone Complex PS 2
- Ghost In The Shell Stand Alone Complex PSP
- Ghost in the Shell: First Assault Online: A Free To Play Online multiplayer First-Person Shooter for PC based on Stand Alone Complex. Launched December 2015, shut down December 2017.
- Ghost in the Shell: Arise: 2013 OVA series.
- Alternative Architecture: 10-episode Spring 2015 Anime series that consists of the four original Arise OVAs divided up into 2 episodes each, with the final two episodes being a new story arc called Pyrophoric Cult.
- Ghost in the Shell: The New Movie: A movie taking place after Arise / Alternative Architecture and finishes up the Arise continuity. It also celebrated the 25-year anniversary of the franchise (the original manga was serialized in Japan from 1989-1990).
- The Ghost In The Shell Five New Short Stories: A short story compilation to give the franchise an Adaptation Expansion, written by Tow Ubukata alongside Kafka Asagiri, Gakuto Mikumo, Yoshinobu Akita and Toh EnJoe, released in 2017 by Kondansha in Japanese and by Vertical for the English-language markets.
- Ghost in the Shell: An American Live-Action Adaptation released in March 2017.
This is a disambiguation page. If you found your way here from a wick, or are pointing here, please redirect the wick from that page to the appropriate page. Unless, of course, you are referring to the Ghost in the Shell franchise in general.
If you are looking for a trope about people living inside your head, it's here.