The roles reversed: the hero plays the villain, while the villain plays the hero. What makes one the other, and how easily can fate be manipulated to serve ones own ends? Originally written for NaNoWriMo 2012 and was continued and finished as the author's 2013 and 2014 projects; started before Golden was released.
You can read it here.
Wanted it to be a Game provides examples of:
- Adaptational Heroism: Due to the role-reversal, Adachi's characterization in this fic is this. He begins as misanthropic and self-centered as he was in the game, then eventually upgrades to The Anti-Nihilist.
- Adaptational Villainy: The protagonist, named Seito Souzen in this fic, is this as he takes Adachi's canon role. And Kou is Seito's accomplice.
- Adults Are Useless: Played straight at first with Adachi being dragged along by Saki to save the kidnapping victims, but subverted later after he gets Character Development and Sayako and Dojima get Persona.
- Alternate Universe: explicitly stated. Izanami tells Adachi in no few words that there are dozens of timelines repeating the Inaba scenario and the one where the fic events take place is the only one where Adachi did the Right Thing.
- Ascended Extra:
- Sayoko, in the original game, is the Devil Arcana social link. Here, she's part of the investigation team and gains a persona of her own. Saki, who was formerly a victim, also survived and becomes a part of the investigation team.
- Due to Death by Adaptation, several of the social links in the original game are changed to connect with Adachi. Such as Namatame becoming one of Adachi's social links.
- Byronic Hero: While Adachi fills the role of protagonist in this story, it doesn't change his propensity for narcissism, nor his misanthropic view of the world. He gets more optimistic and less misanthropic after Character Development, but it never goes totally away.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Seito is still hung up over the death of his twin sister when he was a child, and it's implied that it is one if not the main cause of dissatisfaction with the world. When he discovers that the ghost of his sister visited Adachi and became his Death social link, he doesn't take it well
- Death by Adaptation: Yosuke and Chie both die early and are Seito's victims. Naoki, Ai, Eri, and Shu, who were part of the game's original social links, also die as victims.
- For Want of a Nail: According to Izanami, the nail here is Adachi not having killed Saki.
- Police are Useless: Adachi often thinks this about his coworkers, with the exception of Dojima, of course.
- Also pointed out by multiple others, as with the exception of Adachi, no one else in the police department can properly investigate the murders happening.
- Rag Tag Bunch Of Misfits: Adachi's investigation team, consisting of himself the Butt-Monkey new detective, a Junes employee, an inn heiress, a bitty private detective, a bruiser, a retired idol, a bear, and a nurse.
- Reassigned to Antarctica: how Adachi ended in Inaba in this fic's backstory. He aciddentally killed a perp whose girlfriend has political influences, and the girl complained about Adachi's Trigger Happy tendencies. Because the guy really was guilty of the crime, the Police couldn't fire Adachi because he tecnically did the right thing, but because they were pressured into "taking action" they just drastically cut down his salary and transferred him to the most rural town they had under their jurisdiction.
- Small Town Boredom: Both Adachi and Seito make this comment in the beginning, with Adachi continuing to do so for a while afterward.
- Spared By Adaptation: Saki survives and went on to be an Ascended Extra.
- Trigger Happy: Adachi likes to use his gun a bit too much, and a some point he claims that it was the reason he joined the police force in first place. He is hung up on how he cannot use it as much as he would like because he is too broke to buy his own ammo and cannot use the one he gets assigned after being reprimanded by "wasting" it.
- Villainous Breakdown: Izanami has one when she realizes that Adachi of all people is about to defeat her.