The Orphanage was a visual effects company established in 1999 by former Industrial Light & Magic employees Stu Maschwitz, Jonathan Rothbart and Scott Stewart. The firm is best known for their work on many commercials. Including an award-winning campaign around the weapons from Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal, commercials for Disneyland featuring the cast of Toy Story, and a Live-Action Yu-Gi-Oh! commercial. They're also known for creating the HUD screens in Iron Man.
The company shut down, without notice in 2009. While there's no real explination as to why. Rumors claim it was due to the 2008 recession.
Aside from the above, The Orphanage has also worked on:
- 50 First Dates
- The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl
- Æon Flux (Film)
- Anger Management
- Blade Runner (2007 Final Cut)
- Death Proof
- The Host (2006)
- In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale
- Jackass: The Movie
- Jeepers Creepers 2
- The Last Mimzy
- Mission to Mars
- Night at the Museum
- Red Cliff
- Sin City
- Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
- The Spirit
- Superman Returns
- Vanilla Sky
- You Don't Mess with the Zohan
A more complete list can be seen on IMDb.
Tropes The Orphanage presents:
- Live-Action Adaptation: As mentioned above.
- Name's the Same: The company is not to be confused with, nor did they work on, the film.
- Too Good for This Sinful Earth
- What Could Have Been: There was an animation studio; it was attached to make a sequel to The Dark Crystal with Genndy Tartakovsky directing.