William Raymond Stacy Burr (May 21, 1917 September 12, 1993) was a Canadian-American actor, primarily known for his title roles in the television dramas Perry Mason and Ironside. On film, his role in the Alfred Hitchcock thriller Rear Window (1954) is regarded as his best-known film role; although he is also remembered for his role in Godzilla: King of the Monsters! (1956), the Americanized version of the first Godzilla film, Godzilla (1954).
Films with pages on TV Tropes:
- Love Happy (1949)
- M (1951 remake of the 1931 film)
- A Place in the Sun (1951)
- The Blue Gardenia (1953)
- Rear Window (1954)
- Godzilla: King of the Monsters! (1956, Americanized version of Godzilla (1954))
- Godzilla 1985 (1985, Americanized version of The Return of Godzilla)
- The Return (1980)
- Airplane II: The Sequel (1982)
- Delirious (1991)
TV series with pages on TV Tropes:
Tropes associated with Raymond Burr:
- Character Outlives Actor: After Burr's death in 1993, four more Perry Mason TV movies were produced. The character was still alive in said movies, but was out-of-town in all them, with his role being filled by two Suspiciously Similar Substitutes played by Paul Sorvino, and Hal Holbrook respectively.
- Fake American: He was Canadian, so most of his roles apply to this.
- Romance on the Set: Burr met Robert Benevides, on the set of Perry Mason in 1960. Benevides became a production consultant on many of Burr's later productions. They remained domestic partners until Burr's death in 1993.
- Tall, Dark, and Handsome: He was quite ruggedly attractive, had dark hair, and was Six foot tall.
- What Could Have Been: For Perry Mason, Burr auditioned for the role of Hamilton Burger. The producers were impressed by his performance, that they had him screen test for the title role.