Jesse L. Martin (born Jesse Lamont Watkins; January 18, 1969) is an American actor and singer. He is best known for originating the role of Tom Collins on Broadway in the musical RENT and his television roles as NYPD Detective Ed Green on Law & Order and Detective Joe West on The Flash (2014).
He appeared in:
- The Prince And The Pauper
- Timon of Athens
- Arabian Nights
- New York Undercover
- RENT (both the inaugural play and the 2005 film adaptation)
- Ally McBeal
- The X-Files
- Law & Order
- The Three Penny Opera
- A Christmas Carol
- A Muppet's Christmas: Letters to Santa
- The Philanthropist
- The Merchant of Venice
- The Winter's Tale
- Romeo and Juliet
- The Flash (2014)
- Badass Baritone: He is known for his distinctively low voice.
- Big Applesauce: His works are usually set on New York. He himself was born (and resides) there.
- Gentle Giant: His nicer characters are this by default thanks to him being 6'3.
- Shakespearean Actors: He is a classically trained actor and has appeared on a number of Shakespearean plays.
- Sharp-Dressed Man: His characters tend to be slickly dressed. Doubles as Badass in a Nice Suit in the cases of Ed Green and Joe West.
- Star-Making Role: He is one of the inaugural cast of the wildly acclaimed Broadway show, RENT. As a screen actor, Det. Ed Green in Law & Order.
- Tall, Dark, and Snarky: His more cynical roles tend to be Deadpan Snarkers.
- Typecasting: Showrunners just love casting him as a cop.