William Henry "Hank" Green II (born May 5, 1980), better known as just Hank Green, is an American entrepreneur, musician, and internet vlogger; best known as one half of the VlogBrothers (along with his brother John).
Hank is one of the most active and prolific leaders of a new generation of web entrepreneurs and personalities. He's the co-founder and CEO of VidCon, the world's first and only convention dedicated to internet videos. He along with John are the organizers of the event. He is also the inventor of 2D glasses; publisher of Ecogeek.org, an environmental technology blog; developer of Subbable, a crowdfunding service similar to, and recently absorbed by, Patreon; Vice President of the Foundation to Decrease World Suck, and the co-founder of DFTBA Records.
In 2018, he released his debut novel, An Absolutely Remarkable Thing. This was followed by a sequel in 2020, titled A Beautifully Foolish Endeavour.
- So Jokes (2008)
- I'm So Bad at This: Live! (2009)
- This Machine Pwns n00bs (2009)
- Ellen Hardcastle (2011)
- Incongruent (2014)
- Hankgames, Games With Hank
- Edutainment Shows
- Pemberley Digital Vlog Series Setting Updates
- TitansGrave: The Ashes of Valkana
This musician/internet vlogger and his works provide examples of:
- Anti-Love Song: Hank sings "Florida" like a regular ballad love song, but it's actually about how much Florida sucks.
- Artifact Title: The Hankgames channel is a channel now hosting John Plays FIFA. He now plays games in a new channel Games With Hank.
- Disproportionate Retribution: In "I'm Gonna Kill You", he threatens violent murder on various people who piss him off by doing things such as holding up the express lane at the supermarket, having a loud party late at night while he's trying to sleep, or buying a huge SUV.
- Insult Backfire: Both John and Hank have mentioned in several videos the stupidity of negative comments that accuse them of being nerds/geeks (they take it as a compliment) or "gay" (this is not an insult anyway).
- Measuring the Marigolds: Both of his Youtube science shows avert this, with SciShow focusing on science news and ideas he finds cool, while Crash Course Biology, Ecology, and Chemistry, and Psychology taking a more targeted approach at various scientific disciplines. Part of what makes it work is Green's obvious enthusiasm.
- Motor Mouth: In lots of his videos where it is surprising if the closed captioning was able to accurately follow what he was saying.
- Officially Shortened Title: "The Anglerfish Song"/"A Song About an Anglerfish" is officially titled "The Anglerfish Song Regarding the Human Mentality in Respect to How to Interpret Perpetually Felt Emotions While Educating You on the Subject of Anglerfish."Hank: That is Nerdfighteria, man. And with all respect to refugeejohn, I think we'll probably all just call it "The Anglerfish Song," but that will be its full title. Congratulations, refugeejohn!
- Poke the Poodle: In "Positive Prank Calls"Hi, this is Hank Green of the Vlogbrothers, and I just wanted to let you know that global poverty rates have dropped 30% since 1990, and they're on track to drop another 10% before 2015. She was talking and I just hung up on her. Ha! Ha, pranked!
- Shout-Out: Lots and lots. To authors, poets, musicians, and scientists living and dead, to movies and books, to other video bloggers. For just a couple examples, see Hank's guitar, which is painted with the words, "this machine pwns n00bs", also the name of an album.
- Stalker with a Crush: While Hank's Helen Hunt song is supposed to be funny and non-serious, when the real Helen Hunt heard it, she thought took out a restraining order against him. A restraining order covered in flowers and smiley faces.◊ (The restraining order is fake though, just so you know.)
- Stop Motion: Hank had fun with this in Denver Airport, through doing very basic stop motion animation with himself as the moving object. Somehow, nobody seemed to notice him lying on the chairs in various abnormal positions. He then set the animation to some music.
- Stupid Statement Dance Mix: Hank put one together called "Willy's Song;" it was an amalgamation of all the bizarre sounds Nerdfighters had made in an attempt to get Willy to do his Quizzical Tilt again.
- Tuckerization: Ellen Hardcastle was a fan who entered a contest in which the winner's name will be the name of the new album.
- Unusual Euphemism: Hank made 'Warner Chilcot' a curse word after the company of that name raised the price of his medication by 1200%.
- Viewers Are Geniuses: Nerd Jokes. You have to be pretty familiar with scientific theories, literature, computer science, comics, psychology, anime, sci fi and fantasy, politics, math and physics, and/or famous historical scientists and scholars to get the jokes at all.