George Miller AO (born 3 March 1945) is an Australian filmmaker and former medical doctor, best known for creating the Mad Max series. Not to be confused with a certain other Aussie named George Miller.
Films with pages on the wiki:
- Mad Max series (writer/producer/director)
- The Witches of Eastwick
- Lorenzo's Oil
- Babe series (writer/producer, adapted from a children's book)
- Babe (co-writer)
- Babe: Pig in the City (also director)
- Happy Feet series (writer/producer/director)
- Twilight Zone: The Movie (director of the "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet" segment)
Tropes Associated With George Miller's Work
- Black-and-Gray Morality: Seems to be the case for his Mad Max films.
- Decoy Protagonist: Most if not all of his films center on a protagonist who is more of the observer where as the movie is more about the world and the characters the protagonist comes across.
- Scenery Porn: All his films have very luscious and creative art direction but Mad Max: Fury Road is a stand out.
- Show, Don't Tell: Highly committed to this trope. His films, particulary The Road Warrior and Fury Road, have many long stretches where there is no spoken dialogue, and just let the audience soak in the situation and world through the visuals.
- Sliding Scale of Idealism vs. Cynicism:
- The Mad Max films could be seen as more on the cynical end, but surprisingly Mad Max: Fury Road is actually more on the idealistic end of the scale by the end.
- While much darker, scarier, and more cynical than its predecessor, Babe: Pig in the City still has a fair amount of optimism.
- Happy Feet and Happy Feet Two are very idealistic.
- What Could Have Been: Had it not been for mainly the 2007-2008 Writer's Guild Strike and to a lesser extent, some other extenuating circumstances note , he would've directed the cinematic debut of Justice League of America. The planned film, Justice League: Mortal, would've been vastly different from Justice League, featuring a line-up closer to the original comic book lineup (Cyborg would've been absent, instead having founding members Green Lanternnote and Martian Manhunter in his place), and would've used Talia Al Ghul and Maxwell Lord as the main villains.
- World Building: A specialty of his, the worlds he creates are almost as much characters as the actual characters themselves. He often tries to do this with as little dialogue about the world as possible.