Edward James Olmos (born Edward Olmos; February 24, 1947) is an American actor and director. Instantly recognizable for his iconic roles, craggy features and authoritative, gravelly voice, Olmos first came to prominence as the mysterious Detective Gaff in the sci-fi classic Blade Runner. Since then he's repeatedly garnered critical acclaim as both an actor and director, and is perhaps most memorable for his roles in Miami Vice, Stand and Deliver, Selena and Battlestar Galactica (2003). In 1988 he was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Actor in a Leading Role for Stand and Deliver, in which he played Jaime Escalante, the original Stern Teacher combo. You know all those movies about an inner city school gaining an unusual but inspirational teacher? Yeah, Olmos pretty much originated the role.
Aside from his media career, Olmos is a passionate social activist, political protestor and pioneer for more diversified roles and images of Hispanics in the U.S. media. During the 1992 Rodney King Riots in Los Angeles, Olmos helped to clean up and rebuild communities. He's also the co-founder of the Los Angeles Latino International Film Festival and the Latino Book & Festivals, in addition to being the founder of Latino Public Broadcasting. He also makes frequent appearances at juvenile halls and detention centers to speak to at-risk teenagers. He has also been an international ambassador for UNICEF.
Basically, Olmos is a seriously cool guy. So say we all.
- 1981 Wolfen as Eddie Holt
- 1982 Blade Runner as Gaff
- 2017 Blade Runner 2049
- 1988 Stand and Deliver as Jaime Escalante
- 1992 American Me as Montoya Santana
- 1997 Selena as Abraham Quintanilla, Jr.
- 1997 Twelve Angry Men as Juror #11
- 2000 The Road to El Dorado as Chief Tannabok
- 2011 The Green Hornet as Michael Axford
- 2017 Coco as Chicharrón
- 2018 The Predator
- 19841990 Miami Vice as Lt. Martin Castillo
- 2003-2009 Battlestar Galactica (2003) as William Adama
- 2011 Dexter as Professor James Gellar
- 2015 Agents Of Shield as Robert Gonzales
- What Could Have Been: He got offered the part of Capt. Jean-Luc Picard on Star Trek: The Next Generation. He would eventually play another starship captain.