Bernadette Peters (born February 28, 1948) is an American actress, singer, and children's book author. Over the course of a career that has spanned five decades, she has starred in musical theater, films and television, as well as performing in solo concerts and recordings. She is one of the most critically acclaimed Broadway performers, having received nominations for seven Tony Awards, winning two (plus an honorary award), and nine Drama Desk Awards, winning three. Four of the Broadway cast albums on which she has starred have won Grammy Awards.
Regarded by many as the foremost interpreter of the works of Stephen Sondheim, Peters is particularly noted for her roles on the Broadway stage, including in the musicals Mack And Mabel, Sunday in the Park with George, Song And Dance, Into the Woods, Annie Get Your Gun, The Goodbye Girl, Gypsy, and Hello, Dolly!.
- The Witch in Into the Woods.
- Vilma Kaplan, the Ms. Fanservice Hello, Nurse! in Silent Movie
- Marie in The Jerk
- The eponymous character, as well as another Princess named Debbie, in Faerie Tale Theatre's Sleeping Beauty.
- Sophie in Anastasia.
- The Wicked Stepmother in the Cinderella (1997)
- Circe in a TV adaptation of The Odyssey.
- Rita in Animaniacs.
- Lily St. Regis in Annie.
- Gloria Windsor in Mozart in the Jungle
Tropes that apply to Bernadette Peters include:
- Beauty Inversion: As the Witch in Into the Woods.
- Buxom Is Better: Her full breast size is 36C, all natural, and proud of it.
- Fiery Redhead
- Large Ham: At her hammiest as the aforementioned witch.
- Ms. Fanservice: She has a habit of wearing outfits that emphasize her large bust.
- Older Than They Look: It has become a bit of a joke on Broadway that she doesn't age. You'd never guess that she was 50 in this video.
- Special Guest: In The Muppet Show, The Carol Burnett Show, and Saturday Night Live, among others.