Pepsiman was the Japanese mascot for Pepsi in the mid-to-late 90s. In his commercials, he would run up to people who need a refreshing beverage and give them cans of Pepsi, often suffering Amusing Injuries along the way.
He received a video game adaptation in 1999.
The ads contains examples of the following tropes:
- Amusing Injuries: At the end of each commercial, Pepsiman would receive one of these, which was also applied to the Pepsi can at the end. For example, in one commercial, he hits his head on a window, with the Pepsi can having a dent in the top. One action figure bizarrely titled "The Fuct of Pepsiman" actually came with a crutch.
- The Blank: Pepsiman has no eyes, no nose, and a mouth only when he gives people Pepsi.
- Butt-Monkey: Given his aforementioned Amusing Injuries, Pepsiman is one.
- Distaff Counterpart: There was a Pepsiwoman to advertise Pepsi Twist, a lemon-flavored Pepsi. Other than having a feminine body, Pepsiwoman also wore a lemon-shaped ski mask.
- Food-Based Superpowers: Pepsiman's modus operandi is to race up to thirsty or upset people, thrust out his open palm, and suddenly everyone has a Pepsi in hand. It's not clear (or terribly important) how Pepsiman produces free soda for random people, but it might be best not to think about that too deeply.
- Guest Fighter: He appeared in the Japanese version of Fighting Vipers for Sega Saturn.
- Heart Is an Awesome Power: Pepsiman's only power (other than maybe super speed) is the ability to give people Pepsi. But he makes it as awesome as possible!
- Hollywood Mirage: One commercial featured a Mexican man crawling through the desert. When Pepsiman approached him, it turned out to be a cactus.
- Long Song, Short Scene: Most commercials were only a few seconds long, but his Leitmotif was four minutes long.
- Mundane Made Awesome: Giving people a refreshing beverage has never been so badass.
- Product as Superhero: Pepsiman is a superhero whose superpower is giving people Pepsi.
- The Speechless: Pepsiman never speaks.
- Title Scream: His theme song is punctuated by screams of PEPSIMAAAAAN!