I'm a 28-year-old male, born and grown and still living in Jamaica, in the West Indies. I frequented the TV Tropes website for several months upon first learning about it, but only joined up as a user on October 18, 2010.
I currently work as a freelance reporter at the Western Bureau of a popular newspaper in my home parish of St. James.
I like reading, watching anime and some movies, going to church, talking on the phone with friends, eating, and sleeping.
I've contributed much to the Useful Notes: Jamaica
page, though I didn't originally create the page myself.
A recent Crowning Moment of Heartwarming
caused by Justice Reaper
: a certain Troper
finding a page on Fred The Red Rubber Ball
after a long absence.
open/close all folders
My Top 10 Favorite Tropes (in order of favor)
The 10 Tropes I Hate the Most (no specific order)
Tropes created by me
Pages created by me
Tropes that apply DIRECTLY to me
- Angst? What Angst?
- Annoying Younger Sibling: Most especially during my university days, to the point of being a major Jerk Ass at times. I got some Character Development. (However, my brother still tends to see me as this.)
- The Atoner: Ever since I made a Heroic Vow to behave more like a Christian.
- Bad Ass: Whenever I play any Street Fighter or Guilty Gear games in competition with my brother or old friends from college.
- Berserk Button: Well, I have quite a few.
- Do not, do not, DO NOT use the Bible in an attempt to make or support claims that are clearly not based on Scripture, especially when I've read the Bible enough times to know that said claims are not Biblical. And if I don't know for sure, I will research it, and if it doesn't add up...watch out.
- And if you show yourself to be willfully ignorant and unwilling to research a topic thoroughly for yourself instead of sticking to your own (WRONG) view, there is a good chance I will get unpleasant. More so if this is after I've shown you why you're wrong.
- The All Girls Want Bad Boys trope being played straight also serves as this for me, due to it having played a major role in screwing with my high school social life.
- Do not lie to me or call me a liar.
- January 10, 2011, I discovered a new Berserk Button: parents who abuse their children in any way. I discovered it after reading the latest commentary on the Hayate the Combat Butler manga series, which I'm currently reading online. I expressed the power of that particular button on that series' Headscratchers page.
- February 18, 2011: radio commercials with stilted or poorly-read scripting will result in the offending radio risking being smashed. Hasn't happened yet, but it may only be a matter of time.
- April 20, 2011: The Butt Monkey, Dude, Where's My Respect? and The Woobie tropes being constantly used as a Running Gag without any sympathy for the affected characters, whether in real life or fiction. GIVE THEM A BREAK, DAMMIT!!!
- Beware the Nice Ones
- Beware the Quiet Ones
- Big Eater: I've tried to tone it down in recent years, though, due to weight issues.
- Black and White Morality: Right is right, wrong is wrong.
- Break the Cutie: My parents' messy divorce did this to me. Time heals most wounds, though. Most wounds.
- Brutal Honesty
- Celibate Hero: Trying to be, but admittedly it isn't easy.
- Character Development: Still in progress.
- Chekhov's Gun: On several occasions, with many of them involving pens.
- Christianity is Catholic: Averted; I'm a Seventh-day Adventist.
- Coming of Age Story: The story of my life.
- Covert Pervert: Eventually became The Atoner and took a Heroic Vow in order to subvert this.
- Crazy-Prepared: Trying to be this. You never can tell what might happen, after all.
- Crowning Moment of Awesome: Achieved one when I was in Grade 11, back in 2001. I got the highest score in English Language in all of Jamaica, beating out four other students for the top position.
- My father got one by beating colon cancer a few years ago.
- Just recently I was reflecting on a video-game-related CMOA that I pulled when I was at university. It happened while I was playing Jojos Bizarre Adventure and fighting Dio on Story Mode. I unlocked the stage secret "I stopped time" by using Jotaro's freeze-time special move and defeating Dio with three normal attacks, while still having a sliver of life left for myself.
- Dangerously Genre Savvy: Becoming this over time. Hey, as a reporter *, one has to be.
- Deadpan Snarker: Sometimes. Paraphrasing a recent example which took place on May 30, 2011:
Co-worker: (talking about child-bearing) The mother says, "Oh, look at this bundle of joy!"
Me: "...who'll be a source of heartache for the next 18 years."
Office supervisor: Don't you see Whitney's dead?
Me: It was a delayed reaction.
- Despair Event Horizon: Following my parents' very messy split.
- Desperately Looking for a Purpose in Life: During my Faith Heel Turn.
- The Determinator
- Did Not Get the Girl: A lot of times...then subverted with my (now ex) girlfriend, who I met through my mother.
- Ditzy Genius: My brother has had this opinion of me.
Brother: You are the stupidest smart person I know.
- Driven to Suicide: Considered this for a time. I got over it.
- My dad had a moment of this too, during his illness. He got better.
- Dogged Nice Guy
- Dude, Where's My Respect?
- The Dutiful Son: But evidently with that man, No Good Deed Goes Unpunished. Also, see the two tropes immediately above this one.
- Faith Heel Turn: Following my parents' break-up, I was VERY angry with God and dropped out of church, doing my own thing during my university days. I eventually pulled a Heel Faith Turn and am currently trying to keep it that way.
- The Fettered
- Foot Focus: Yes, I love good-looking female feet.
- Freak Out: Immediately before my Faith Heel Turn.
- Freudian Excuse: My parents lived in quiet, simmering-under-the-surface hostility toward each other. Then Mom abandoned us; Dad has turned to alcohol and gambling, is a financial abuser and has serious anger issues; my brother is an Aloof Big Brother; and I've been made into The Dutiful Son.
- A Friend in Need
- Gentleman and a Scholar
- Graceful Loser: Used to subvert this, but currently playing it straight.
- Heel Faith Turn: See Faith Heel Turn.
- Heroes Love Dogs: Both played straight and subverted—I see dogs as useful in terms of providing companionship and security, but will not hesitate to put my foot to a dog's rear if said dog tries to bite or jump on me.
- Heroic BSOD: Accompanying the aforementioned Freak Out.
- Heroic Vow: To abstain from porn permanently, abstain from sex until marriage, and go back to church and practice true Christian principles in my life.
- Holier Than Thou: Doing my best to avert this, as I know I'm no better than anybody else just because I'm a Christian. However, my father (among others) has accused me of being this simply because I'm trying to live the best I know how according to The Bible.
- Hypocrite: Before and during my Faith Heel Turn. Following my Heel Faith Turn, I've been working to subvert and eventually avert this. It's still a work in progress.
- I Just Want to Be Special: Used to play it straight, but nowadays it's subverted.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: During the early years of high school. Subverted by the time I got to university.
- Ineffectual Loner
- Iron Woobie: As of recent times.
- Jade-Colored Glasses
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: Both my brother and I qualify. I presently own a cat adopted from my brother, named Obi. As in, short for Obi-Wan.
- Knight in Sour Armor
- Loser Guy: Yeah...I often thought so of myself.
- Lovable Nerd
- Love Hurts: I've experienced this and risen above it.
- A Man Is Not a Virgin: I was brought up in a Christian home, so I expected to avert this trope. I ended up playing it straight at age 16 and during the next few years...but see The Atoner and Heel Faith Turn.
- May-December Romance: A mild case with me and one of my ex-girlfriends—I was 26, she was 18. It was a factor in our breaking up.
- Meaningful Name: My real first name, Christopher, means "Christ-bearer." I'm trying to live up to it now.
- Mismatched Eyes: Both eyes are brown, but one is a slightly lighter shade than the other. It's not readily apparent unless you're actually looking for it.
- Morality Pet: I try to remember that I'm a role model for the children at church. "Would I want them to take part in this activity? Would I want them to know that I'm doing this? If the answer is no, then why am I doing it in the first place?" As well, my most recent ex-girlfriend served as this for me when we were a couple.
- Mr. Exposition: I tend to get flak from others for this.
- Mr. Imagination
- My Greatest Failure: I still feel a little sore about being unable to save my parents' marriage.
- Nice Guys Finish Last: I certainly believed this during high school. Nowadays I'm trying hard not to accept this as true.
- Non-Action Guy: Usually.
- Not a Morning Person: Subverted or played straight, depending on the day or occasion.
- Not Good with People: Played straight during high school.
- Neutral Good
- OOC Is Serious Business: Refusing lunch at church two weeks in a row, when said food refusals aren't part of a scheduled church fast? That would be because I'm going through something of a Heroic BSOD. A while back, however, the church sisters who usually offer me lunch would not put up with it, and dished out a plate for me anyway.
- Perpetual Frowner: Smiling doesn't come naturally for me. Don't force me to put on one. You will not like my response.
- Principles Zealot
- Properly Paranoid
- The Quiet One
- The Resenter: Towards my brother, especially during university, though this has lessened with time. Nowadays, I have had some...ill feelings toward my father for his hypocrisy in denying me my right to live my life independent of his way of doing things despite his claims that he wants me to become independent.
- Romantic Runner Up: A number of times.
- Scars Are Forever: I have some small scars on my hand from a cat-scratch.
- Screw the Rules, I'm Doing What's Right: I once said basically this to my bosses, regarding a directive that would require me to compromise my religious beliefs.
- Secret Keeper: I know how to keep a confidence.
- Sliding Scale of Idealism Versus Cynicism: I'm somewhere in the middle, though leaning more toward idealism.
- Stepford Smiler: I have to maintain an appearance of tranquility in the face of all the craziness that happens around me. Unfortunately, on more than one occasion that facade has cracked.
- Team Chef: During the latter half of my time at university, I was the one who did most of the cooking for myself and my group of housemates.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Ackee and saltfish, Jamaica's national dish, accompanied by boiled bananas, fried breadfruit slices, fried dumplings, Irish potatoes, and slices of pear (avocado).
- I also like corned beef with rice, fried dumplings, or fried or roasted breadfruit.
- And chicken (baked, fried or stewed) with rice and peas.
- And on the fast food side, cheeseburgers with fries, chicken and cheese pizzas, and fried chicken.
- I enjoy lemonade and fruit punch too. Regarding the latter drink, I have recently discovered a weakness for blended fruit punch.
- As of late I'm slowly easing into a vegetarian lifestyle, and as such I like to eat tofu and gluten (both soy products). I'm also thinking of giving up dairy products altogether in conjunction with this.
- Tranquil Fury: I exhibit this in place of an explosive temper, for which I was known back in high school.
- Unlucky Everydude
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With my brother.
- Who's Laughing Now?: Subverted, despite my atrocious high school experiences.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: I'm deathly scared of rats. No matter what their size, shape or color.
Tropes that apply INDIRECTLY to me