It's time for the second TV Tropes Halloween Avatar Contest, theme: cute monsters! Details and voting here.
I'm a 29-year-old male, born and grown and still living in Jamaica, in the West Indies. I frequented the TV Tropes website for several months upon first learning about it, but only joined up as a user on October 18, 2010.
I currently work as a freelance reporter at the Western Bureau of a popular newspaper in my home parish of St. James.
I like reading, watching anime and some movies, going to church, talking on the phone with friends, eating, and sleeping.
I've contributed much to the Useful Notes: Jamaica
page, though I didn't originally create the page myself.
A recent Crowning Moment of Heartwarming
caused by Justice Reaper
: a certain Troper
finding a page on Fred The Red Rubber Ball
after a long absence.
open/close all folders
My Top 10 Favorite Tropes (in order of favor)
The 10 Tropes I Hate the Most (no specific order)
Tropes created by me
Pages created by me
Tropes that apply DIRECTLY to me
- Angst? What Angst?
- Annoying Younger Sibling: Most especially during my university days, to the point of being a major Jerk Ass at times. I got some Character Development. (However, my brother still tends to see me as this.)
- The Atoner: Ever since I made a Heroic Vow to behave more like a Christian.
- Bad Ass: Whenever I play any Street Fighter or Guilty Gear games in competition with my brother or old friends from college.
- Berserk Button: Well, I have quite a few.
- Do not, do not, DO NOT use the Bible in an attempt to make or support claims that are clearly not based on Scripture, especially when I've read the Bible enough times to know that said claims are not Biblical. And if I don't know for sure, I will research it, and if it doesn't add up...watch out.
- And if you show yourself to be willfully ignorant and unwilling to research a topic thoroughly for yourself instead of sticking to your own (WRONG) view, there is a good chance I will get unpleasant. More so if this is after I've shown you why you're wrong.
- The All Girls Want Bad Boys trope being played straight also serves as this for me, due to it having played a major role in screwing with my high school social life.
- Do not lie to me or call me a liar.
- January 10, 2011, I discovered a new Berserk Button: parents who abuse their children in any way. I discovered it after reading the latest commentary on the Hayate the Combat Butler manga series, which I'm currently reading online. I expressed the power of that particular button on that series' Headscratchers page.
- February 18, 2011: radio commercials with stilted or poorly-read scripting will result in the offending radio risking being smashed. Hasn't happened yet, but it may only be a matter of time.
- April 20, 2011: The Butt Monkey, Dude, Where's My Respect? and The Woobie tropes being constantly used as a Running Gag without any sympathy for the affected characters, whether in real life or fiction. GIVE THEM A BREAK, DAMMIT!!!
- Do not criticize how I do my job, more so if you yourself have had no experience in that field yourself. Please do not do it. My father and I almost came to blows over it one night very recently.
- Beware the Nice Ones
- Beware the Quiet Ones
- Big Eater: I've tried to tone it down in recent years, though, due to weight issues.
- Black and White Morality: Right is right, wrong is wrong.
- Break the Cutie: My parents' messy divorce did this to me. Time heals most wounds, though. Most wounds.
- Brutal Honesty
- Celibate Hero: Trying to be, but admittedly it isn't easy.
- Character Development: Still in progress.
- Chekhov's Gun: On several occasions, with many of them involving pens.
- Christianity is Catholic: Averted; I'm a Seventh-day Adventist.
- Coming of Age Story: The story of my life.
- Covert Pervert: Eventually became The Atoner and took a Heroic Vow in order to subvert this.
- Crazy-Prepared: Trying to be this. You never can tell what might happen, after all.
- Crowning Moment Of Awesome: Achieved one when I was in Grade 11, back in 2001. I got the highest score in English Language in all of Jamaica, beating out four other students for the top position.
- My father got one by beating colon cancer a few years ago.
- Just recently I was reflecting on a video-game-related CMOA that I pulled when I was at university. It happened while I was playing Jojos Bizarre Adventure and fighting Dio on Story Mode. I unlocked the stage secret "I stopped time" by using Jotaro's freeze-time special move and defeating Dio with three normal attacks, while still having a sliver of life left for myself.
- Dangerously Genre Savvy: Becoming this over time. Hey, as a reporter and a Christian watching current-day events and matching them up to Bible prophecy, one has to be.
- Deadpan Snarker: Sometimes. Paraphrasing a recent example which took place on May 30, 2011:
Co-worker: (talking about child-bearing) The mother says, "Oh, look at this bundle of joy!"
Me: "...who'll be a source of heartache for the next 18 years."
Office supervisor: Don't you see Whitney's dead?
Me: It was a delayed reaction.
- Despair Event Horizon: Following my parents' very messy split.
- Desperately Looking for a Purpose in Life: During my Faith Heel Turn.
- The Determinator
- Did Not Get the Girl: A lot of times...then subverted with my last two ex-girlfriends, the first of whom I met through my mother.
- Ditzy Genius: My brother has had this opinion of me.
Brother: You are the stupidest smart person I know.
- Driven to Suicide: Considered this for a time. I got over it.
- My dad had a moment of this too, during his illness. He got better.
- Dogged Nice Guy
- Dude, Where's My Respect?
- The Dutiful Son: But evidently with that man, No Good Deed Goes Unpunished. Also, see the two tropes immediately above this one.
- Faith Heel Turn: Following my parents' break-up, I was VERY angry with God and dropped out of church, doing my own thing during my university days. I eventually pulled a Heel-Faith Turn and am currently trying to keep it that way.
- The Fettered
- Foot Focus: Yes, I love good-looking female feet.
- Freak Out: Immediately before my Faith Heel Turn.
- Freudian Excuse: My parents lived in quiet, simmering-under-the-surface hostility toward each other. Then Mom abandoned us; Dad has turned to alcohol and gambling, is a financial abuser and has serious anger issues; my brother is an Aloof Big Brother; and I've been made into The Dutiful Son.
- A Friend in Need
- Gentleman and a Scholar
- Graceful Loser: Used to avert this, but currently playing it straight.
- Heel-Faith Turn: See Faith Heel Turn.
- Heroes Love Dogs: Both played straight and subverted—I see dogs as useful in terms of providing companionship and security, but will not hesitate to put my foot to a dog's rear if said dog tries to bite or jump on me.
- Heroic BSOD: Accompanying the aforementioned Freak Out.
- Heroic Vow: To abstain from porn permanently, abstain from sex until marriage, and go back to church and practice true Christian principles in my life.
- Holier Than Thou: Doing my best to avert this, as I know I'm no better than anybody else just because I'm a Christian. However, my father (among others) has accused me of being this simply because I'm trying to live the best I know how according to The Bible.
- Hypocrite: Before and during my Faith Heel Turn. Following my Heel-Faith Turn, I've been working to subvert and eventually avert this. It's still a work in progress.
- I Just Want to Be Special: Used to play it straight, but nowadays it's subverted.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: During the early years of high school. Subverted by the time I got to university.
- Ineffectual Loner
- Iron Woobie: As of recent times.
- Jade-Colored Glasses
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: Both my brother and I qualify. I once owned a cat adopted from my brother, named Obi. As in, short for Obi-Wan. And now I currently have two kittens that I can't wait to have grow up and be useful in hunting pests.
- Knight in Sour Armor
- Loser Guy: Yeah...I often thought so of myself.
- Lovable Nerd: My girlfriend, KC, thinks so, at least.
- Love Hurts: I've experienced this and risen above it.
- A Man Is Not a Virgin: I was brought up in a Christian home, so I expected to avert this trope. I ended up playing it straight at age 16 and during the next few years...but see The Atoner and Heel-Faith Turn.
- May-December Romance: A mild case with me and one of my ex-girlfriends—I was 26, she was 18. It was a factor in our breaking up.
- Meaningful Name: My real first name, Christopher, means "Christ-bearer." I'm trying to live up to it now.
- Mismatched Eyes: Both eyes are brown, but one is a slightly lighter shade than the other. It's not readily apparent unless you're actually looking for it.
- Morality Pet: I try to remember that I'm a role model for the children at church. "Would I want them to take part in this activity? Would I want them to know that I'm doing this? If the answer is no, then why am I doing it in the first place?" As well, my last ex-girlfriend served as this for me when we were a couple, and my now-girlfriend KC is this for me in spades.
- Mr. Exposition: I tend to get flak from others for this.
- Mr. Imagination
- My Greatest Failure: I still feel a little sore about being unable to save my parents' marriage.
- Nice Guys Finish Last: I certainly believed this during high school. Nowadays I'm trying hard not to accept this as true.
- Non-Action Guy: Usually.
- Not a Morning Person: Averted or played straight, depending on the day or occasion.
- Not Good with People: Played straight during high school.
- Neutral Good
- OOC Is Serious Business: Refusing lunch at church two weeks in a row, when said food refusals aren't part of a scheduled church fast? That would be because I'm going through something of a Heroic BSOD. A while back, however, the church sisters who usually offer me lunch would not put up with it, and dished out a plate for me anyway.
- Perpetual Frowner: Smiling doesn't come naturally for me. Don't force me to put on one. You will not like my response.
- Principles Zealot
- Properly Paranoid
- The Quiet One
- The Resenter: Towards my brother, especially during university, though this has lessened with time. Nowadays, I have had some...ill feelings toward my father for his hypocrisy in denying me my right to live my life independent of his way of doing things despite his claims that he wants me to become independent, as well as how he insults and manipulates me and then expects me to be there for him when his health goes on the low end.
- Romantic Runner-Up: A number of times. But considering KC, being second isn't such a bad thing after all.
- Scars Are Forever: I have some small scars on my hand from a cat-scratch.
- Screw the Rules, I'm Doing What's Right: I once said basically this to my bosses, regarding a directive that would require me to compromise my religious beliefs.
- Secret Keeper: I know how to keep a confidence.
- Sliding Scale of Idealism Versus Cynicism: I'm somewhere in the middle, though leaning more toward idealism.
- Stepford Smiler: I have to maintain an appearance of tranquility in the face of all the craziness that happens around me. Unfortunately, on more than one occasion that facade has cracked.
- Team Chef: During the latter half of my time at university, I was the one who did most of the cooking for myself and my group of housemates.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Ackee and saltfish, Jamaica's national dish, accompanied by boiled bananas, fried breadfruit slices, fried dumplings, Irish potatoes, and slices of pear (avocado).
- I also like corned beef with rice, fried dumplings, or fried or roasted breadfruit.
- And chicken (baked, fried or stewed) with rice and peas.
- And on the fast food side, cheeseburgers with fries, chicken and cheese pizzas, and fried chicken.
- I enjoy lemonade and fruit punch too. Regarding the latter drink, I have recently discovered a weakness for blended fruit punch.
- As of late I'm slowly easing into a vegetarian lifestyle, and as such I like to eat tofu and gluten (both soy products). I'm also thinking of giving up dairy products altogether in conjunction with this.
- Tranquil Fury: I usually exhibit this in place of an explosive temper, for which I was known back in high school.
- Unlucky Everydude
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With my brother.
- Who's Laughing Now?: Subverted, despite my atrocious high school experiences.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: I'm deathly scared of rats. No matter what their size, shape or color.
Tropes that apply INDIRECTLY to me
- The Ace: My older brother. A whiz with computers, well known by just about everyone in our circle of friends and the wider community, a video-gaming genius...
- Amicably Divorced: Averted by my parents.
- All Guys Want Cheerleaders: During high school, I had a major crush on a number of sexy and popular girls...and ended up looking like a fool in front of them, and being snubbed by the first one, in fact.
- Aloof Big Brother: My brother.
- Arbitrary Skepticism: So, Dad doesn't believe in the veracity and enduring relevance of the Bible. Yet he believes in the existence of aliens. And he reads the Bible sometimes too. What.
- Bad Boss: I've had two.
- Bad Dreams: I have a couple of these from time to time, with some bordering on Nightmare Fuel or being Foreshadowing.
- The Bible: I try to read it at least every day. I consider it not just a good book, but the genuine Word of God.
- Big Screwed-Up Family: On my father's side of the family, without a doubt. Just recently my cousin's wife/baby-mother called the police on him for reportedly threatening to shoot her, my other cousin (both of them from the same aunt and uncle) had a major Freak Out following her mother's death from cancer, my unmarried aunt is a Jerk Ass bordering on Evil Matriarch, my uncle (husband of the aunt who died) belongs to a questionable society, my step-grandfather is domineered over by the aforementioned Jerk Ass aunt, and my father (the Straight Man in all of this) is himself a Jerk Ass and a drinker despite having had colon cancer.
- Blind Date: Met one of my ex-girlfriends on one of these.
- Broken Pedestal: Both of my parents.
- Bullying a Dragon: My father has tried to do this with me verbally and psychologically, as recently as last night (July 22, 2012). This is the same man who is a cancer survivor, who recently got his legs and back injured when a car hit him and he had to use a cane while he recovered; by contrast, I'm physically stronger than him and, if I were not adhering to the commandment to honor father and mother, I'd have flattened him a long time ago.
- Calling the Old Man Out: I've had to do this with both parents. It succeeded somewhat with Mom. With Dad...not so much, since he evidently suffers a chronic case of Aesop Amnesia.
- Canine Companion: My father, my late aunt, and my grandparents have had these. We used to have a dog named Bowser. Presently, we have three grown dogs and five (six?) puppies.
- Cool Big Sis: One of my church sisters, a longtime family friend, used to serve as this for me. I'm something of a Cool Big Bro to some of the other little kids there, as well.
- Crowning Moment of Heartwarming: I had a moment with one of my exes when we were together—she and I had a slight tiff, and I went to bed. Moments later she showed up at my bedroom door, whispered "I'm sorry" and fell into my arms.
- Achieved with my last girlfriend, after assuring her I accepted her, warts and all.
- Achieved with KC, after we accepted each other, warts and all.
- Mommy Had A Good Reason For Abandoning You: So she claims, but anyone who knows her and knows the full story of what happened knows better.
- Dead Sparks: My parents, before their divorce. Of course, being a child at the time, I didn't notice.
- Dysfunctional Family: My own family counts, as has been outlined elsewhere on this page.
- Everybody Hates Mathematics: Oh, I know I do. In fact, it was among my worst subjects in high school.
- Everything's Better With Motorcycles: For a while, I believed so.
- Evil Matriarch: One of my paternal aunts seems to be shaping up to be this.
- Feuding Families: My mother vs. my father's sisters. Even before the divorce.
- Financial Abuse: Being perpetrated by my father, in the form of not caring about how I'm going to manage my taxes yet borrowing money from my monthly paycheck to finance business ventures that don't show any returns. (Maybe that's why the very thought of Hayate's parents acts as a Berserk Button for me.) That is going to change, consequences be damned.
- Forbidden Fruit: For me, it's sex and porn. Especially more so because I'm The Atoner. (For the record, I do not subscribe to the currently-toted idea that sex was the original Forbidden Fruit.)
- Forgiveness: I'm learning to practice this, as part of my ongoing Character Development. Considering my father, though, it's a hard lesson to swallow and apply.
- Forgotten Childhood Friend: KC was this for me, as I had never even interacted with her during our primary-school years together, but back then she had a crush on me from afar.
- God Is Good: I believe this.
- Growing Up Sucks
- Hopeless With Tech: While I may not know how to fix a computer, I at least know how to use one. My father? Nope. And it gets utterly frustrating trying to explain simple things as right-clicking or opening browser window tabs. Lampshaded this morning (July 19, 2013):
Dad: I'm a fool with computers.
Me: Lots of people are fools with computers. You're frustrating!
- I Can't Believe a Guy Like You Would Notice Me: My most recent love interest, KC, intimated that she'd had a crush on me back when we were in primary school, but at the time she hadn't thought a person like me would ever notice someone like her. Fast-forward 20 years later...
- I Know Kung-Fu: Made this claim during high school to intimidate bullies. They didn't fall for it.
- Insult Backfire: Once tried to flip off a bully in high school—except I used the ring finger instead of the middle finger proper. Cue jeering from schoolmates.
- It Runs in the Family: Impatience, self-centered-ness, and obsession over money (apparently) on my father's side of the family. Appreciation of family, on my mother's side.
- Also on my dad's side, there's the issue of cancer...probably, because one of my aunts died from cancer and my father is a cancer survivor, but cancer is not what claimed my grandmother (it was old age coupled with health issues related to a bypass surgery). ...boy, all sorts of crap comes from my dad's side of the tree.
- Jerk Ass: A common trait among the male members of my immediate family, with my father being the worst offender.
- Jerk Jock: I put up with a LOT of these in high school.
- Know-Nothing Know-It-All: My father tends to be this. A lot.
- Meddling Parents: My father is The Agent, and inverts the role of The Banker and The Bodyguard. My mother plays the role of The Banker straight, and during my earlier years she may have had traces of The Black Hawk's traits.
- Missing Mom: She's not dead, though. Just married now to the same guy who caused her marriage to be destroyed and who was the cause of her hiring a moving company to send a truck on a rainy night to move out everything from the house that could be moved while my dad was out of town, leaving me and my brother behind in the process.
- Mixed Marriage: My mother is a Christian, but my father is largely non-religious. Considering how well that union went, I'm determined to avert this trope for when I get married.
- Nakama: Had some during high school and university days. I still have them.
- Never Live It Down: There are some moments in my high school years that I would rather forget ever happened, thank you very much.
- Over-Enthusiastic Parents: My father is constantly encouraging me to "go out more," "be more outgoing," and tells me how he feels I should do my job.
- Overprotective Dad: My father.
- Overshadowed by Awesome: I've always felt so regarding my older brother.
- Parental Abandonment: By my mother, physically. By my father, morally.
- Parental Betrayal: For a long while, I considered my mother's abandonment of her family in order to be with another man as a major Moral Event Horizon. Though I've managed to forgive her recently and don't blame her as much anymore.
- Parental Substitute: I consider one of the elders at my church as a second father.
- Rage Against the Heavens
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: KC has said that what attracted her to me, when we got back in touch and started talking, was my desire to grow closer to God. Incidentally, I myself was the gender-flipped version of this trope prior to getting back in contact with her.
- Supreme Chef: Both of my parents are this, and I've acquired tutelage directly from my father.
- Taking the Kids: Simultaneously and cruelly played straight and subverted. My mother did leave while Dad was absent, but she didn't consider her kids' feelings about the matter.
- Toxic Friend Influence: Suffered from this in high school, in that I relied on my so-called "friends" to help me become pop culture-savvy, but at the same time they treated me like the group's Butt Monkey.
- "Well Done, Son" Guy: My father has been this regarding my current job.
Dad: I don't see you making it as a reporter.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Had to do this to my brother on August 2, 2011, when he requested our family's land title to borrow money on it. His borrowing of the money would impact heavily on me and my efforts to save cash for myself, and considering he's never contributed to the house budget on the home front...coupled with the fact that he moved into a house he and his wife inherited and were renovating (a project both Dad and Mom did not entirely approve of)...when he spoke of it to us via phone last night, I had to chew him a new one.
- Updated November 7, 2011: One of my longtime friends from university days called me out last week for my Jerk Ass behavior toward my brother during those years, prompting me to try and mend fences.
- December 19, 2011: This past Sabbath, a church sister who acts like a real sister to me (not the same as the Cool Big Sis above) harshly criticized me for not asserting myself more strongly or often, especially in regards to my dutiful attitude toward my father even when said obedience might clash with my religious convictions.
- August 31, 2012: My last ex-girlfriend's words to me after I mentioned that some persons have said I don't deal very well with stress (for context, on that particular day I'd gotten aggravated about my father's Jerk Ass tendencies and was complaining bitterly about it - not the first time - and my girlfriend was getting tired of it):
Whoever said that to you was right! You're not open-minded, you don't allow for nothing outside of what's planned, you're stubborn and a bit conceited! You fuss, whine, complain, are arrogant, and you swear! Write this on paper and keep it ever before you and gird it about your neck: "Be not hasty in thy spirit to be angry: for anger resteth in the bosom of fools" (Ecclesiastes 7:9)!
KC: You have held on to so much of the hurt of your parents and it is making you become insensitive and bitter. I get it, he is annoying, purposeful, manipulative and all that, but I think you need to change your mindset, don't let your circumstances change you. For your sake, mine and our relationship, start doing something about it. Honestly, I love you, but I don't want to be in a relationship where my husband is not very forgiving, is insensitive and easily ticked off. You may think and say you won't display that behavior towards me, but you have gotten so used to it, you won't even notice that you are doing it.
- Worthy Opponent: I see my brother as this where video games are concerned.