Just For Fun: The Usopp And Sanji Show
The Usopp and Sanji Show is a comedy television series that is a Show Within a Show in the adventures of Fred The Red Rubber Ball. The show is a long-running series which showcases the antics of comedy screwballs Usopp and Sanji and their equally-wacky rotating cast of characters. The general premise of the show: Usopp comes up with a Zany Scheme; Sanji tries in vain to talk him out of it; Usopp goes through with it anyway, dragging along an unwilling Sanji; and Hilarity Ensues. Of course, there are also a few stand-alone sketches within the show, such as Zoro being a deliberate walking Anachronism Stew or Doflamingo Tempting Fate one too many times. The show is currently in its seventh season, and in Fred's universe proper, the li'l rubber ball and his pals never miss a single episode. note
Stuff that happens in The Usopp and Sanji Show:
- Accidental Kiss: One sketch puts Boa Hancock into a series of events that cause her to somehow trip and fall into other people at inappropriate times, resulting in this every time. Not that anyone's complaining...
- Anachronism Stew: Every sketch where Zoro is the focus character in a historical setting results in him being this. Making the voyage to the then-unknown West Indies in 1492? Zoro uses a cell-phone to call ahead to San Salvador. Chronicling the wars of feudal Japan? Zoro posts about every major related event on Twitter. The inaugural showcasing of Henry Ford's Model T? Zoro replaces the car with a BMW X6.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: In one sketch, Eustass Kidd conspires to aggravate Trafalgar Law by puncturing his car tires, spreading malicious rumors about him, suffocating his pet hamster, and making ugly faces at him. Turns out for naught, however, as Law was looking for an excuse to change the tires anyway, the rumors have netted him a bad-boy status that has all the girls swooning, he didn't like the hamster anyway, and he's managed to upload Kidd's ugly expressions onto Facebook.
- Berserk Button:
- Do not eat Mihawk's croissants without his express permission. In one episode, when Luffy makes the mistake of eating one without asking, Mihawk's response is to take a baking pan and beat Luffy unconscious with it. Later in the same episode, Doflamingo boldly eats a few more croissants...and Mihawk sics Doflamingo's mother on him.
- Buggy's as sensitive about his big red nose as ever, although this show actually gives him a decent reason for it: when he was a child, he got stung on the nose by a hornet, the nose swelled uncontrollably, and then it got stuck looking that way.
- Big Ball of Violence: Every time Luffy and Blackbeard fight.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Happens often. Even the usually-serious characters, like Mihawk and Dragon, get in on it from time to time.
Dragon: We had a fourth wall?
- Butt Monkey: Sanji constantly suffers humiliation from any of Usopp's schemes. Also, any time Doflamingo declares that today's going to be a fine day, expect something horrible to happen to him. In the latter case, by the beginning of the show's fourth season, everyone's become so Genre Savvy about this that, the moment Doflamingo makes any such declaration within earshot, everybody puts on helmets and ballistic vests.
- Cat Fight: One sketch has Usopp setting up a mud-wrestling ring specifically tailored for this kind of fighting...only Luffy and Blackbeard find it and decide to fight in it to settle their ongoing rivalry. Usopp and Sanji are not amused.
- Class Trip: One episode revolves around Usopp and Sanji being in high school and having to go on one of these. The duo conspires to get away from the rest of the student group on the morning of departure, and end up taking a road trip to Impel Down. And then it turns out that was the class trip's destination anyway.
- Comical Angry Face: Everybody gets affected by this. Yes, EVERYBODY.
Usopp: Even Mihawk?Sanji: Especially Mihawk.
- Cool Car: Zoro drives a neon-green Lamborghini, much to Sanji's jealousy. Unfortunately for Zoro, a common Running Gag is for Buggy to steal the car and go on joy-rides with it.
- Covert Pervert: In one sketch, Sanji goes to great lengths to spy on two women who he's convinced are in a very loving relationship. Turns out they're sisters and they get him arrested for criminal trespassing.
- Deal with the Devil: In one sketch, Luffy makes a deal with Chopper to exchange his soul for a burger—only Luffy declares that Chopper can't claim it if he doesn't eat the very last bite of the burger. Later that night, though, Luffy sleep-walks to the fridge... note
Luffy: Awww...forbidden burger... (eats it)Chopper: (suddenly appears) Hi, Luffy! Were you just eating something?Luffy: OH CRAP!!!
- The Dreaded: Doflamingo's mother. Just the mere mention that she's coming to visit is enough to make everybody in the cast piss their pants.
Shanks: Bye, guys. (flees)
- Even Bad Men Love Their Mamas: Doflamingo is not a nice guy. Doesn't mean he won't bend over backwards to please his mother (if only because not doing so results in her conking him with a rolling pin).
- Get Rich Quick Scheme: Usopp regularly comes up with a number of these.
- Hot Reporter: Boa Hancock becomes one of these on occasion, as does Nami.
- Noodle Incident: Mihawk would much rather forget the time buying a burrito led to him and Shanks being put on the national terrorist watch-list. There was also that one dare Sanji put Usopp through that resulted in the latter's crippling fear of waterfalls...
- Oh, Crap: Any sketch that features Doflamingo's mother elicits this reaction from the rest of the cast.
- Only Sane Man: Sanji sees himself as this, among the whole cast. Yes, even Mihawk and Dragon.
- Our Vampires Are Different: In any sketch where vampires are involved, they don't need a Vampire Invitation to come busting into your room. Robin finds this out the hard way in one particular sketch where Nami, having been turned by Hogback, stalks into Robin's room with no problem.
- Running Gag: Every episode, at least one sketch has Usopp coming up with a crazy scheme and Sanji being dragged into it (whether he wants to be involved or not).
- Serial Killer: In one sketch, the entire cast is stalked by one of these, with Chopper as the first victim and Robin becoming the Final Girl. Chopper himself is the killer, having faked his own death to throw off suspicion.
- Sitcom Archnemesis: Anytime Luffy and Blackbeard see each other, they're going to fight. No exceptions.
- Tampering with Food and Drink: One episode has Usopp slip a laxative into Sanji's wine-glass as revenge for Sanji kicking him in the head over yet another stupid plan. Unfortunately for Usopp, Sanji expected that method of revenge and force-feeds him the wine instead.
- Voluntary Shapeshifter: One episode has Usopp and Sanji confront Bartholomew Kuma...only for Kuma to reveal he can actually transform into a bear. Usopp promptly bolts, leaving poor Sanji behind to get mauled.
Sanji: Oh, look, he became a teddy bear! Cute, huh, Usopp? ...uh...Usopp?(turns to see Usopp is already several miles down the road)Sanji: ...nuts.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Usopp is deathly afraid of waterfalls, after a Noodle Incident that involved a dare from Sanji.
- Worthy Opponent: One sketch has Brook challenge Mihawk to a sword-fight. Considering that this is Mihawk we're talking about, Brook goes down relatively quickly, but Mihawk acknowledges that, despite lacking physical strength, Brook had speed and experience on his side. It helps that Brook actually managed to nick Mihawk's beard.