open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Johnathan "Johnny" Joestar, one of the eponymous characters of Jojos Bizarre Adventure.
- In Marvel Comics:
- Johnny Domino, popular saxophonist.
- From The DCU, we have:
- Johnny Thunder, member of the Justice Society of America.
- Johnny Peril, adventurer-for-hire.
- Johnny Double, deliberately anachronistic P.I. who peppers his speech with beatnik and hipster slang.
- Johnny Sorrow, a villain who acts as The Dragon to an Eldritch Abomination known as the King of Tears, and who himself can turn intangible and literally frighten people to death if he removes his mask (used to cover a hideously scarred face).
- Johnny Quick, a name shared by two different characters—an evil speedster who's a member of the Crime Syndicate (being Flash's Evil Counterpart), and a heroic speedster who's a member of The Flash's supporting cast.
- Johnny the Homicidal Maniac is a case of Obviously Evil and Names to Run Away from Really Fast.
- Johnny English, bumbling secret agent (excusable, as his movie is an Affectionate Parody of the spy movie genre, plus he's played by Rowan Atkinson of Mr. Bean fame).
- The title character of the movie Johnny Tsunami is a surfer and Badass Grandpa (variation in that he's not the protagonist of the film's main story, his grandson is, who is also Johnny, who uses their surname, Kapahala).
- The titular protagonist of the 1954 movie Johnny Guitar is a reformed gunslinger. His real name, Johnny Logan, is just as impressive.
- Johnny Dangerously, a former gangster.
- Johnny Five, the name adopted by NOVA robotics creation SAINT #5 after his escape.
- Johnny Appleseed, a Disney animated film based on the life of John "Johnny Appleseed" Chapman, who is famous for the legend that depicts him planting apple trees everywhere he goes.
- Johnny Utah, an FBI agent and the main character in Point Break (1991).
- Johnny Baca from Con Air is a fairly pedestrian name, but his nickname, "Johnny 23" is a villainous example, it being the number of known rapes he's been convicted for.
- The Roberto Begnini film Johnny Stecchino. The eponymous character is a mafia boss. Or, well, his Doppelgänger.
- Johnny Cool, a 1963 crime film. Not to mention the title song performed by Sammy Davis, Jr..
- In The Facts in the Case of Mister Hollow, the eponymous Johnny Hollow is the mysterious benefactor of an unseen Occult Detective, who has provided said detective with a Spooky Photograph that may confirm the sinister activities of a Mystery Cult.
- The eponymous character of the film Johnny Handsome (although, before the facially deformed John Sedley receives extensive reconstructive surgery that makes him look like a young Mickey Rourke, it's a mocking Ironic Nickname).
- "Gentleman" Johnnie Marcone from The Dresden Files is a crime boss who endeavors to keep bloodshed to a minimum in his operations, hence his nickname. Mind you, it isn't his real name...
Live Action TV
- Radio rock DJ "Doctor" Johnny Fever from WKRP in Cincinnati (real name Johnny Caravella, and played by Howard Hesseman).
- Jonny Fairplay from Survivor.
- Johnny Bravo (no, not THAT one), the character Greg was going to play on a The Brady Bunch episode. He thought an agent was offering him a singing gig, but found that they altered his voice a lot and only wanted him because he fit the costume.
- Chuck Berry's "Johnny B. Goode".
- Black Sabbath has "Johnny Blade."
- Johnny Rotten never would have gotten so far if he'd stuck with "Lydon."
- Enter Shikari have a song called "Jonny Sniper" about an Earth-saving hero.
- The Brian Setzer Orchestra's "(The Legend of) Johnny Kool".
- Johnny Cash, the Man in Black.
- There was also a singer named Johnny Paycheck.
- Neil Young has an epic song-tale about "Johnny Magic" who invents an Earth-saving electric car.
- Jonny D'Ville of The Mechanisms
- '60s R&B singer Johnny Thunder (who may or may not have inspired The Kinks' song of that name).
- Johnny Thunders, of the New York Dolls.
- Red Hot Chili Peppers' "Johnny Kick a Hole In The Sky". Though in the lyrics, the exact phrase doesn't occur (the name and badass action are said separatedly).
- Marc Mero wrestled in WCW as Johnny B. Badd.
- Before he became John Morrison, John Hennigan's WWE name was "Johnny Nitro." He also had a series of minor appearances as "Johnny Blaze" and "Johnny Spade" before settling on "Nitro".
- John Laurinaitis, the former Executive Vice President of Talent Relations of WWE and Interim General Manager of Monday Night Raw, formerly wrestled under the name "Johnny Ace". Because "Laurinaitis" is difficult to pronounce, smarks still often refer to him by his ring name.
- Johnny Grunge of The Public Enemy.
- Johnny Dollar, the eponymous insurance investigator from the 1950s radio series Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar.
- While not a character, exactly, "Johnny Lightning" is a brand of die-cast collectible cars similar to Hot Wheels.
- Johnny Thunder, the lead character of LEGO Adventurers.
- Johnny Cage, box-office superstar and martial artist (it's only his stage name, however; his real name is John Carlton).
- Johnny Napalm is a character in the Guitar Hero games.
- The Saints Row series has Johnny Gat, convicted of over 300 counts of first degree murder. No, not 250, there is no statute of limitations on first degree murder.
- Johnny from Guilty Gear, the male leader of the otherwise female Jellyfish Pirates, who wears all black with sunglasses, practices iaijutsu, and is likely named after Johnny Cash.
- Johnny Dash, the Badass Adorable Kid Hero of Monster Bash.
- From Bioshock 2, Subject Delta's "real" name was Johnny Topside before his transformation. Given the setting, it was probably the coolest name imaginable.
- Johnny Style, the sunglasses-wearing rabbit pirate from Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure who always seems to beat Zack to wherever he's searching for treasure.
- Johnny Bravo, macho man with Cool Shades (but a subversion in that the man himself is something of a buffoon).
- Teen Titans villain Johnny Rancid, a villainous wielder of a flying motorcycle.
- Jonny Quest, teen adventurer.
- Johnny Test, who gets into all sorts of wild hijinks with his sisters' science inventions.
- Danny Phantom villain Johnny 13 has control of a Living Shadow which causes bad luck toward anything it passes through (as a nod to the superstition of the number 13 being unlucky). He's also a Badass Biker whose motorcycle can race up walls and fly.
- Old west outlaw Johnny Ringo, self-termed "King of the Cowboys" and a player in the OK Corral story (on the Clanton side).
- In The '50s, movie star Lana Turner dated a gangster named John "Johnny Stomp" Stompanato. (That is, until Turner's daughter killed him.) He showed up in L.A. Confidential, too.
- "Gentleman" Johnny Burgoyne.
- Writer and musician Johnny Strike.
- Not a person, but Johnny Rockets, the name of an American diner, counts.
- Texas A&M Quarterback and Heisman winner Johnny Manziel. Generally referred to as Johnny Football.
- Johnny Reb, the archetypal Confederate soldier in The American Civil War.
- Johnny Yong Bosch