Recap: The Simpsons S 10 E 13 Homer To The Max
When a dashing lancer named Homer Simpson becomes a Bumbling Sidekick on a new cop show, Homer petitions the court to have his name legally changed and takes advantage of the good life that comes with having a new name — until he gets roped into an environmental protest.
- Awesome McCoolname: Homer has his name changed to "Max Power" because it was the only he spelled correctly. His other options were "Hercules Rockefeller", "Rembrandt Q. Einstein", and "Handsome B. Wonderful".
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: In-Universe: In All in the Family 1999 after Archie Bunker proclaims his love for the Token Minorities around him, he mutters to himself, "I wish I'd saved my money from the first show."
- Department of Redundancy Department: Police Cops
- Early Installment Weirdness: In-universe: Police Cop Homer Simpson starting as a competent cop and being later changed into a Bumbling Sidekick.
- Executive Meddling: Discussed:Lisa: Producers fiddle with shows all the time. They change characters, drop others, and push some into the background.
(Mr. Largo and the Capital City Goofball walk by in the background outside the house as she says this.)
- Juggling Loaded Guns: Chief Wiggum scratches himself with his gun... right after calling Homer "that stupid cop from TV".
- Line-of-Sight Name: Homer got the name "Max Power" off a hair dryer.
- Named Like My Name: Trope Namer.
- Non-Idle Rich: The Police Cops version of Homer Simpson before being turned into a Bumbling Sidekick.
- Noodle Incident: Marge mentions an unspecified time when a man named Anthony Michael Hall (who may or may not have been the former teen actor from the Brat Pack movies of the 1980s and a brief, yet notable stint as a Saturday Night Live cast membernote ) dug up the Simpsons' backyard.
- The Other Darrin: In-Universe: Played for Laughs — During the joke about how networks love animation because they don't pay the actors squat, Ned Flanders comes in and adds, "Plus, they can replace the voices and no one can tell the diddly-ifference." For the sake of that joke, Karl Wiedergott (a featured voice actor who joined the show during its tenth season) voiced Ned Flanders (who is regularly voiced by Harry Shearer).
- Shout-Out: Homer's "Max Power" song is sung to the tune of the title theme of Goldfinger.
- Show Within a Show: Police Cops and the other mid-season shows, like The Laughter Family, Admiral Baby, and America's Funniest Tornados.
- Take That and Biting-the-Hand Humor: Homer's line about networks loving animated shows because they don't have to pay the actors' anything (and a newly-voiced Ned Flanders adding that networks can also change the characters' voice actors and no one can tell the difference). At the time of the episode's premiere, The Simpsons voice actors were in a pay dispute and were threatened with being replaced by soundalikes if they didn't agree to FOX's offer.
- Too Dumb to Live and Hypocritical Humor: Chief Wiggum pointed a gun at himself while insulting Homer's competence.
- What Could Have Been: In-universe: Police Cops wasn't originally supposed to be a series. It was supposed to be a comedy about a psychologist on-board the R.M.S. Titanic starring Annie Potts and Jeremy Piven, but was scrapped because the idea scared the hell out of them, so they came up with a cop drama. Also, Police Cops was supposed to be called Badge Patrol, but they didn't like the title.
- Who's on First?:Trent Steele: You like Thai?Homer/Max: Thai good, you like shirt?