Podcast / The YoGPoD
The official podcast of the Yogscast
, hosted by Lewis Brindley
and Simon Lane
. Featured on iTunes
it consists of episodes of Lewis and Simon talking about no specific topic, so unsurprisingly has the same general rambling chatter as their gaming content.
This podcast contains examples of:
- Bland-Name Product: Crunchy Fried Wings, with its mascot, the General, in YoGPoD 37.
- Brick Joke
- A letter from "Nick Fuckface": Lewis refuses to read it at first, letting Simon do it in a following episode. It turned out to include the immortal line: "I am Dave ! Yognaut and I have the balls."
- In one episode, Warwick Davis goes down the drain in Simon's sink. In the next YoGPoD, one of the dividers is "Hello, I'm Warwick Davis and I'm in a sewer."
- The crusty old molester from the first Dungeons & Dragons special makes a hilarious comeback in the second campaign:
Does Madewyn recognize the old man
Oh, god. Simon:
- Creepy Child: Lewis' impression of one of these during the second Halloween YoGPoD gave Simon "the opposite of an erection".
- Darker and Edgier: The Halloween podcasts tend to be more scary than normal.
- Department of Redundancy Department: Episode 40 is titled "Christmas Special Fun Packed 2011 Special".
- Also, there's this segment in episode 22:
That was Mulchie! With "YoG and PoD", a cover of the Katy Perry song, "Hot and Cold", especially and exclusively for the YoGPoD! If any of our other listeners out there would like to cover a popular song, especially for the YoGPoD, adding their own special lyrics about the special YoGPoD special, special special!
Special! Then please, send your MP3
's to firstname.lastname@example.org. Lewis:
Thank you. Yes... Simon:
Special! I don't know what happened there, I just went a little bit mad. Lewis:
Spazzed out. Yeah, you did. Simon:
- In this last instance, the word special and any variations of it were mentioned ten times.
- Interestingly enough, both cases of this trope involve the word special.
- Everyone Calls Him "Barkeep": In the first episode of the Dungeons & Dragons YoGPoD, Lewis refers to a man in an inn as 'barkeep', to which the man replies that he isn't a barkeep, he's an innkeeper. He then reveals that his name is Jeremy Innkeeper.
- Felony Misdemeanor: During Episode 42, Simon becomes enraged when Sips only knows Richard Attenborough as "the guy from Jurassic Park who looks like Colonel Sanders."
- Gag Penis: In the first Dungeons & Dragons playthrough, Dylan has a noticeable bulge in his pocket.
- If It's You, It's Okay: Despite being a heterosexual, the innkeeper in the Dungeons & Dragons playthrough can't help but look longingly at Dylan.
- Lighter and Softer: The third Halloween podcast had one scary story, but the rest were just ridiculous... and a large portion of it focused on Lewis having his wisdom teeth removed, which was more painful-sounding than scary.
- Mermaid Problem: Discussed in YoGPoD 21. According to Simon, Mermaids do have vaginas, but scaly ones.
- Nerdgasm: Simon has one over The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim in YoGPoD 36.
- No, You Hang Up First: In YoGPoD 2, Simon does this to himself while hanging up a phone call.
- Ooh, Me Accent's Slipping: Lewis' voice for Fulgrim the ex-pirate half-orc in the Dungeons & Dragons podcasts.
Mulchie: Can I walk away from the man with the strange Irish-Scottish-Welsh accent, please?
- Or Are You Just Happy to See Me?: Lewis assumes that Simon's Dungeons & Dragons character's bulge is from him storing his lute.
Do you have a lute in your pocket or are you happy to see me?
- Scandalgate: The second YoGPoD, Sipsgate, in which Lewis randomly calls his internet friend Sips (who said to never, ever call him in real life except in emergencies related to their website, which at that time he was keeping up) three times for no reason other than entertainment. Luckily, the potential scandal and defriending is averted, and Sips is cool with it... as long as they don't call him again.
- Sips later gets revenge for Sipsgate, by repeatedly interrupting the 2011 Christmas livestreams to ask about his mic volume.
- Serial Escalation: The absolutely ridiculous lengths that Simon supposedly went to to protect his jam from Brian Blessed.
- Serious Business: Simon protecting his jam.
- Shout-Out: In YoGPoD 36, Simon mentioned that it would take a parsec to find his lost jam, especially if he used the Kessel Run.
- A Storm Is Coming: The metaphorical version of this is mocked in their YoGPoD interview with Hodor's actor, Kristian Naire: 
- Strongly Worded Letter: Lewis recounts that his father is so un-tech savvy that he sends these to then-prime minister Gordon Brown.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Brian Blessed has jam sandwiches.
- Your Mom: In YoGPoD 17, Simon makes a World of Warcraft-themed one of these, realises that the mechanic was revamped, and makes another one related to World of Warcraft.