Just For Fun: Fred The Red Rubber Ball
Fred, the Red Rubber Ball, is a red rubber ball. And he's sentient. And he's cute. Fred started out as a cute li'l ball of cotton, but following a major transformation he became the rubber ball he is today. Since that time, he's gotten into all kinds of weird adventures in all kinds of weird places, meeting unlikely people and having to put up with the machinations of his likewise-cute Evil Counterpart, Dave, all while being a good role model for his adopted son, a baby bowling ball named Maxie. When not out having adventures, Fred lounges around with an Eldritch Abomination named Bob, a superhero named Justice Man, a sentient knight chess-piece named Chess, a sentient cellular phone named Mike, a toy car named Speed, and a toy truck named Mack. note
Tropes Fred has encountered and embodies:
- Actually a Doombot: One of these tried to kidnap Fred to use him For Science!. It wound up exploding in a shower of sparks.note
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: Maxie once grew big enough to overshadow a city, but not realizing anything was wrong with that, he went exploring. Oddly, nothing was damaged during his exploring...except for a few politicians' offices. He was eventually shrunk back down to normal by Fred using the famous shrinking-ray machine.
- Children Are Innocent: Maxie.
- Cloning Blues: Mr. Sinister stole some of Fred's DNA to sell to Dave in exchange for some rare treasures.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Fred has a few shades of this. On one occasion, he sat on top of a banana sundae, pretending to be a cherry, because he thought he'd look cuter that way.
- Deadpan Snarker: Justice Man.
Isabel: There's nothing quite like a chemical reaction that won't do what it's supposed to... my unknown chemical refused to react with anything. Blargh.noteJustice Man: Did you try drinking it?
- Dope Slap: Fred will do this to someone who's being an imbecile by bonking them on the head.
- Eldritch Abomination: Bob is a huge black mass of...something from outer space. Fortunately, he's friendly.
- Evil Counterpart: Dave is a cute li'l blue rubber ball. Who will not hesitate to use you in Mad Scientist experiments or cut you up For the Evulz.
- Executive Meddling: Some evil executives once conspired to force Fred to take on a face and a voice. Fred's loyal fan-base resisted very strongly.
- The Faceless: Fred has no facial features. Same goes for Dave and Maxie, as well as Mack and Speed, being a li'l toy car and a li'l toy truck respectively.
- Feel No Pain: Fred doesn't feel any discomfort from being knocked about or stretched, due to being rubber and therefore not having any nerve endings to speak of. He does, however, get affected by cold, as he learned when he once traveled to Russia.
- Happily Adopted: Maxie, a blue baby bowling ball who's constantly in diapers, was found in a basket when Fred was bouncing along one day. He's accepted Fred as his daddy even after finding his birth parents.
- Literal-Minded: Maxie once sat in ashes during Ash Wednesday, wondering what ashes have to do with Wednesdays. He consulted Fred and Bob...and they decided to have an ash-ball fight (like a snowball fight, except with ash instead of snow).
- Living Shadow: The Tax-Man, an enemy who wields a massive tax-stamp.
- Mind Screw: A lot of the stuff that happens in Fred's world, whether or not he actually is involved directly. One immediate example coming to mind would be Souther showing up out of nowhere in a chef's hat and apron, just because a certain someonenote did a typing error and said "Souther-fried chicken" instead of "Southern-fried chicken."
- Mundane Fantastic: A lot of stuff that we would take extremely seriously, Fred will look at and wonder what the fuss is all about, such as when he's prodded by Mr. Sinister to discover what makes him tick and how a rubber ball can have sentience.
- Omniscient Council of Vagueness: One of these convened to seek out a way to destroy Fred and prevent him from opposing its plans for world domination. The members consisted of Millions Knives, Mr. Sinister, Vandal Savage, Donquixote Doflamingo, and Vilgax.
- Papa Wolf: Fred is this for Maxie. To illustrate: Maxie once rode a topiary-shaped horse cut out of a big hedge, but one of Justice Man's enemies chopped the horse to pieces for spite, causing Maxie to fall. Maxie, being a bowling ball and therefore durable, wasn't physically hurt, but he was quite upset about not being able to ride his horsie anymore. Fred's response? He chased after said enemy with a heavily-armed army helicopter.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: Fred, of course. Maxie, even more so (c'mon, a baby bowling ball wearing a diaper? What isn't cute?)
- Rubber Man: Fred is a rubber ball. Duh. Dave, too.
- Show Within a Show: Fred likes to watch The Usopp And Sanji Show, a comedy show where the titular characters get up to all kinds of wacky hijinks.
- Silent Snarker: Fred gets this way, being The Voiceless.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Fred likes ice cream. Despite, y'know, not having an obvious mouth to eat it with.
- Unusually Uninteresting Sight: Apparently, in Fred's worldnote nobody thinks very much of a red rubber ball bouncing about all by itself. Or a bowling ball wearing a diaper and moving of its own power. Or a space-born Eldritch Abomination lurking around. Et cetera.
- The Voiceless: Fred is incapable of speech, being a rubber ball, and communicates through bouncing or writing down things. Everybody somehow understands what he's communicating to them all the same. Dave and Maxie are likewise voiceless.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: Being made of rubber, Fred can transform into anything he likes. He once turned into a golf club to knock away the above-mentioned meddling executives. He was also capable of this when he was a ball of cotton, transforming into a giant fist to knock out a threatening Eldritch Abomination.