Nicknames can say something about a guy. A deformity, a mask, or the looks of a person can give him a Name-Face Name. A Name-Face Name is when a character's nickname comes from a characteristic of his face. Often leads to Only Known by Their Nickname. Compare Captain Colorbeard.
Examples:Anime and Manga
- The names of at least four of the mecha in Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann are derived from their faces:
- "Lagann" - Enveloping Face
- "Gunmen" - Huge Face
- "Mugann" - Faceless
- "Lazengann" - Spiral Face
- Noface from Spirited Away.
- Batman's foes include the Ventriloquist's puppet Scarface, Two-Face, Clayface and the less popular Baby-Face and False Face.
- Goldface from Green Lantern.
- Arseface from Preacher.
- FuckFace from Fury MAX by Garth Ennis, writer of the aforementioned Preacher.
Colonel Gagarin: A sad story, General. A gentle giant for most of his youth—then an unfortunate incident while shark-fishing—and now... Well. Still a giant, at any rate.
- Ghostface from Scream.
- Leatherface from The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
- The eponymous Scarface.
- Babyface from The Hills Run Red.
- Metal Beak from Guardians of Ga'Hoole. (Incidentally, he was *not* the same character as the Metal Beak of the movie. Nyra never was called Metal Beak in the books, only Kludd was.)
- 2Face from Remnants.
- An episode of Saved by the Bell had a kid called Craterface for having acne all over his face.
- Openface from The Adventures of Pete & Pete.
- Pizza Face from the "Earboy" sketches on All That.
- On Person of Interest, Elias's right hand Anthony Marconi is nicknamed (and credited as) Scarface.
- Dick Tracy: Pruneface, Littleface and Flyface.
- Metal Face (called "Black Face" in Japan) from Xenoblade; so named because Mechon don't usually have faces. Other "Face" Mechon show up throughout the game as well.
- The titular Braceface.
- Captain Huggyface from WordGirl.
- What's-her-face from Teen Girl Squad.
- Scar from The Lion King, and his heir, Kovu, in the sequel. (Kovu is Swahili for scar.)
- Steelbeak on Darkwing Duck
- Baby-Face Nelson.
- Al 'Scarface' Capone.
- Pizza-face is a common insult for people that have acne all over their face.
- The Yu-Gi-Oh! Card Game has Necroface, a giant tentacled zombie baby head, and Birdface, a bird-man.