open/close all folders
Wolves and Cheza
Voiced by: Mamoru Miyano (JP), Johnny Yong Bosch (EN)
An Arctic Wolf who is dedicated solely to finding the Lunar Flower and opening the way to Paradise. Kiba primarily acts on his instincts, which sometimes lead him to behave rashly, and the others to call him idealistic. Full of wolf pride, Kiba initially expresses disgust at wolves who use human disguises, but eventually realizes that it is necessary to survive.
- All Up to You
- The Chosen One: He's the chosen one who is destined to find and open Paradise.
- Declaration of Protection: To Cheza.
- Despair Event Horizon: Having his lover Cheza die in his arms made him lose all hope of paradise. Not only that, he is also assumed to be the last living thing in the world before he dies alone.
- Doomed Moral Victor: At the end, Darcia dies and Kiba manages to open paradise. However, he has lost everyone he cared about and he dies before he can enter paradise.
- The Dulcinea Effect: Before she even has a single line, Kiba vows to protect Cheza and bring her with them. This is justified, because wolves and the Flower Maiden has an instinctual connection anyway.
- Dying Alone: Not only does he die after losing all his companions and having Cheza die in his arms, it's implied that he's the last living thing in the entire world before he falls through the ice and drowns. You can't get much more alone than that.
- Good Is Not Nice: He's hot-tempered and extremely volatile.
- The Hero
- The Hero Dies: In the series finale, he dies as paradise begins to be created from Cheza's seeds.
- Honor Before Reason
- Icy Blue Eyes: In contrast to the other wolves' human forms with Eyes of Gold, Kiba's human form has piercing light-blue eyes.
- Interspecies Romance: With Cheza, and briefly with Mew the caracal.
- The Power of Friendship: Darcia at one point claims that the other wolves were never needed to create paradise. Kiba disagrees.
- Messianic Archetype: He is the main wolf needed to open paradise, but the others are not useless.
- Non-Standard Character Design: The other wolves' human illusion's hair and eye colors match their fur and eye color as wolves. He has brown hair and blue eyes in his human illusion, but is a white furred and yellow eyed wolf.
- Proud Warrior Race Guy
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin: He's really pale-skinned (aided by his Icy Blue Eyes) and his hair looks black depending on the lighting.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The Red to Tsume & Darcia's Blue.
- Sole Survivor: Kiba becomes the sole surviving wolf (and living thing on Earth in general) in the series finale.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: With Cheza.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: He shows himself as aloof and distant, always keeping his cool. Yet he has a notable soft spot for those close to him, especially Cheza.
- Tragic Hero: He only wanted to find paradise so he and the other wolves could live in a better place. At the end, Kiba finds paradise, but he loses all his friends and dies alone before he can enter paradise.
- Wild Hair
Voiced by: Kenta Miyake (JP), Crispin Freeman (EN)
A Grey Wolf with a large X shaped scar across his chest, not counting many others. Rough and self-reliant, Tsume is a strong fighter who keeps his true feelings to himself. He joins the others after his human gang in Freeze City betrays him. He does not initially believe in Paradise, but eventually starts to believe in their goal.
- Big Brother Instinct: Though not brothers, Tsume develops a close bond and protectiveness over Toboe.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Lady Jaguara's wolf hunting troops attacked his pack, killing most of his family and friends. As Tsume attempted to flee from the battle, he was cast out by his pack and the alpha male attacked him, leaving him with his X-shaped scar, branding him as a coward.
- Dirty Coward: His back story has him being one of these, with him running away leaving his friends to die. He's a unusual example in that he's portrayed as ultimately a good person, having grown out of his cowardice by the time the show starts.
- Every Scar Has a Story: His scar is pivotal to his Back Story.
- The Exile: His old pack rejected him because he betrayed his friends.
- Give My Regards in the Next World: Says this to Kiba right before dying from his wounds.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Toboe, oh so much.
- Mercy Kill: He kills Hige after he's badly wounded by Darcia in the finale and asks Tsume to end him.
- Mr. Fanservice: Owns a very devoted female fandom.
- Mystical White Hair: His human form has white hair.
- Pet the Dog: Towards Gehl (the red headed kid in episode one, whom Tsume failed to save) serves as one, dispute Tsume's refusal of his friendship.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Blue to Kiba's Red.
- Rugged Scar: His distinctive chest scar. It turns out he did not get it through badassery as you would expect. He got it while being punished for leaving his friends to die.
- Scars Are Forever: He has two, the scar on his chest and the mental scar he received while receiving the physical one. The reason he has the physical one is because he left his friends to die and it was his punishment before his exile, the mental scars he has is that he doesn't want to get close to others in fear of another situation coming up where he will betray and lose them again.
- Sour Outside, Sad Inside: His Jerkass behavior is a defense mechanism for himself to protect himself from getting close to others because he doesn't want to get close to others in fear of betraying and losing them again.
- Sour Supporter
- Stripperific: Rare Male Example. His outfit consists of a shredded vest, and skin tight low rise leather pants.
- Tall, Dark and Snarky
- Warrior Poet
- White Hair, Black Heart
- X Marks the Hero: Has X shaped scar across his chest.
Voiced by: Akio Suyama (JP), Joshua Seth (EN)
A Mexican Wolf with a carefree attitude, who seems quite comfortable living in human society. After meeting Kiba, he goes along with the idea of searching for Paradise without much argument.
- Battle Couple: With Blue.
- Beta Couple: With Blue.
- Big Eater
- Chivalrous Pervert
- Collared by Fashion: He wears a leather collar around his neck that has a metal plate inscribed with the number 23. It's actually a tag/transmitter that causes him to be under constant surveillance. It also appears to be the tag that controlled him, since he was plagued with constant migraines in Jaguara's city just before it was shot off by a soldier.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Manchurian Agent: Before Hige met Kiba, he was brainwashed into being Jaguara's lapdog by hunting and leading troops to other wolves. The collar around his neck attracts Lady Jaguara's soldiers, leading him to put the group in danger.
- Plucky Comic Relief
- The Smart Guy
- The Stoner
- Together in Death: With Blue.
Voiced by: Hiroki Shimowada (JP), Mona Marshall (EN)
A Red Wolf who was raised by an old woman. He is considered the pup or the runt by the others.
- Adorably Precocious Child
- All-Loving Hero: He's about the closest thing a predatory animal can get to a Friend to All Living Things, and, as a clincher, he's willing to protect and die for the guy who's actively trying to exterminate wolves!
- Badass Adorable
- Badass and Child Duo: With Tsume. He might not be under ten years old, but he's a kid nonetheless.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Push him too far and he's capable of biting out your eyes.
- Break the Cutie: He's been through a lot. Since the death of his caretaker, he has developed into a braver, more independent character, but there seemed to be no letting go of the natural innocence that came with his youth.
- Catchphrase: "I was just getting ready!"
- The Cutie: His naivete and childish determination is absolutely endearing.
- Determinator: During the walrus battle, not only does Toboe Go for the Eye and actually hurt the beast, but despite all the walrus' thrashing, despite the walrus diving into the freezing water and smashing through giant ice floes to try to dislodge him, Toboe does not let go until the walrus dies.
- Died in Your Arms Tonight: Of sorts, Quent comforts the dying Toboe by petting him, he continues to do this even after Toboe dies and Quent dies with his arm around Toboe's body.
- The Heart
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Tsume, oh so much.
- Hero-Worshipper: Toboe really looks up to Tsume.
- Innocent Prodigy
- Kill the Cutie: He's innocent, kind and childish and he gets killed trying to protect a man who was trying to kill him.
- Morality Pet: To Tsume.
- Nice Guy
- Red-Headed Hero
- Senseless Sacrifice: In the finale, he unsuccessfully attempts to protect Quent from Darcia and both he and Quent are mortally wounded.
- Tagalong Kid
- Together in Death: With Quent.
- Took a Level in Badass: During the walrus fight scene.
- Too Good for This Sinful Earth: Probably the sweetest boy in the series. He dies trying to protect Quent, the wolf hunter.
- Tragic Keepsake: He still wears the bracelets the old woman who raised him gave him.
Voiced by: Arisa Ogasawara (JP), Sherry Lynn (EN)
The Flower Maiden. Cheza is an Artificial Human created via alchemy from a Lunar Flower. The wolves need Cheza to find and open the gateway to Paradise. Originally asleep and under study in a lab in Freeze City, Cheza is eventually able to join the wolves, whom she loves, and travels with them.
- Alien Blood: Her blood is green and poisonous when ingested.
- Apocalypse Maiden
- Artificial Human: She was created via alchemy from a lunar flower.
- Blind Seer: The fact that she's blind isn't obvious, since her abilities pretty much make up for it.
- Chained by Fashion: Has golden manacles and a neck chain from her time in the scientist's People Jar. Subverted in that they're so not chain-like that they look like a matching necklace and bracelets.
- The Chick
- Cleavage Window
- Declaration of Protection: To the wolves.
- Died in Your Arms Tonight: In Kiba's.
- Exotic Eye Designs: She has dark red scleras, red irises and no pupils. Then again she is a genetically engineered flower-human hybrid and blind. Her eyes may indeed have been literally designed to look cool rather than function properly.
- Fairy Tale Motifs: One of Cheza's outfits is a red riding hood.
- Friend to All Living Things: She adores wolves and they adore her.
- Healing Hands
- Interspecies Romance: With Kiba.
- "It" Is Dehumanizing: A variant. She refers to herself as an "it", due to being an Artificial Human (Or, more commonly in the English version, as "This One"). Everyone else uses female pronouns for her.
- I Will Wait for You: Before she dies, she tells Kiba she will be waiting for him in the next world.
- MacGuffin Super Person: She's an Artificial Human created from a lunar flower. The main characters need her to find and open paradise while the Big Bad needs her Healing Hands to revive his lover.
- Marked Change
- Mystical Waif: She's a mystical flower with the form of a young girl and the key to opening paradise. Of course, the Big Bad needs her for his own purposes and the main characters constantly protect her so she can take them to paradise.
- No Body Left Behind: Cheza doesn't just die - she disintegrates into flower seeds.
- No Social Skills: She has grown up in a laboratory, spending most of her time semi-comatose in a glass vessel. As a result, she has little to no knowledge of the real world, less of how to interact with other people.
- Oracular Urchin
- People Jars: Cheza was in a jar being studied by Cher Degre before she got busted out by Darcia. In this case, she's not being imprisoned — just studied and kept alive. The second time she gets put in a jar, it follows the trope much more closely because 1) she's been forcibly taken, 2) her most zealous bodyguard Kiba has also been locked in a nearby jar and is having his blood drained out, and 3) Jaguara and her guests are drinking WOLF BLOOD in front of her, which may or may not be Kiba's.
- Plant Person: While she looks like a human girl, she's still technically a flower. She can communicate with plants and becomes weak when deprived of water and sunlight. At the gates of Paradise, she "blooms" into an elongated, tree-like form before dissolving into thousands of spherical seeds which begin sprouting more lunar flowers.
- Really 700 Years Old: She's at least 200 years old, but looks about 16 or so.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Inverted.
- Rei Ayanami Expy: An Artificial Human with short pink hair, pale skin and red eyes. She's weak-bodied, a Mystical Waif and is usually very calm and demure, although she does perk up quite a bit in the presence of wolves. Her outfit even resembles Rei's plugsuit.
- Rose-Haired Sweetie: The sweet, low-key romantic subtype. For bonus points, the guy who created her has blue hair.
- The Scream: Upon seeing or just sensing spilled wolf's blood nearby, she gives an unnervingly loud and high-pitched scream.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: With Kiba.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: She's obviously a very sweet girl, but she's also quite monotone and calm most of the time.
- Third-Person Person: Sort of, she only refers to herself as "this one".
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: The Girly Girl to Blue's Tomboy.
- Too Good for This Sinful Earth: She's a sweet girl who cares a lot about the wolves. Unfortunately, she dies from her wounds in the finale, to Kiba's sorrow.
- Woman in White
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Her hair is pink.
Voiced by: Mayumi Asano (JP), Jessica Straus (EN)
A blue wolf-dog. At first, Blue travels along with her master Quent Yaiden, hunting wolves. But Blue finds out that she is actually half-wolf, and unwilling to hunt her own kind, Blue leaves Quent to join the wolves.
- Action Girl
- Battle Couple: With Hige.
- Beta Couple: With Hige.
- Boyish Short Hair
- Heel–Face Turn
- Hunter Of Her Own Kind
- Mixed Ancestry: A wolf-dog.
- Morality Pet: Literally, to Quent.
- Sixth Ranger
- Together in Death: With Hige.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: The Tomboy to Cheza's Girly Girl.
- Woman in Black
- You Killed My Father: Darcia killed her master Quent towards the end of the series.
- Zettai Ryouiki
Voiced by: Kaho Kouda (JP), Kari Wahlgren (EN)
A scientist involved in studying Cheza.
- Amicably Divorced: At the very least she and her ex-husband Hubb seemed to be professional with each other after the divorce.
- Badass Labcoat
- Beauty Is Never Tarnished: After all the stuff she goes through, the worst that happens to her appearance is her hair gets ruffled.
- Died in Your Arms Tonight: She dies in Hubb's arms.
- Dropped a Bridge on Her: She dies when the cliff she is on breaks off and she falls to her death.
- Hot Scientist
- Married to the Job: She and Hubb got divorced after her work with Cheza became more important to her than their marriage.
- Meganekko: Though her glasses get lost relatively quickly.
- Motherly Scientist: She is fascinated by Cheza and desires to understand her and her purpose. When Cheza escapes, she tries to follow her. Later she learns about the wolves and helps them escape, at the cost of her own life.
- Unkempt Beauty
Voiced by: Mitsuru Miyamoto (JP), Robert Buchholz (EN)
A police detective and ex-husband of Cher Degré.
- Agent Scully
- Amicably Divorced: With Cher.
- Badass Longcoat
- Badass Normal
- Death by Falling Over: He dies when he loses his grip climbing up a cliff.
- Dogged Nice Guy: To his ex-wife Cher. He is still very much in love with her and seeks to protect her, often half-jokingly asking if they still have a chance together.
- Odd Couple: Becomes one when traveling with Quent. They banter about relationships, alcohol, and time spent on the police force.
- Nice Hat: Until he lost his fedora anyways.
- One Last Smoke: He is seen inhaling a cigar in his final moments.
- Plot Allergy: He seems to be allergic to every animal he encounters.
- Smoking Is Cool
Voiced by: Unshou Ishizuka (JP), Tom Wyner (EN)
A wolf hunter. He lives a life on the go with only his dog, Blue, to keep him company and aid him in his pursuit of wolves to kill.
- The Alcoholic: He's usually seen drinking, and seems to have developed a Delirium Tremor from it. In combat the liquor can sometimes make him see through the Wolves' disguises but it also makes his shot hard to line up.
- Badass Grandpa
- Badass Longcoat
- Dark and Troubled Past
- Drowning My Sorrows
- Fantastic Racism: His character arc revolves around his hated of wolves. He eventually overcomes this after finding out his beloved "dog" is part wolf. When another wolf dies to save him, it puts the final nail in the coffin of his racism.
- Freudian Excuse: The destruction of his village and the killing of his wife and son Russe by what he thought was a pack of wolves led to his deep and abiding hatred for wolves.
- Go Out with a Smile: He dies smiling, finally letting go of his hatred for wolves.
- Grumpy Old Man
- He Who Fights Monsters
- Inspector Javert
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He's brutish, ornery, and usually grumpy, but he does care about Blue, his family, and strikes up an Odd Friendship with Hubb.
- Knight Templar
- Nice Hat
- Redemption Equals Death
- The Resenter: He really hates wolves.
- Revolvers Are Just Better: His Weapon of Choice is a lever-action revolver rifle.
- Sawed-Off Shotgun
- Together in Death: With Toboe.
Voiced by: Kan Tokumaru (JP), Bob Papenbrook (EN)
The leader of the recapture party who is in charge of getting Cheza back to the lab.
- Agent Scully: He maintains that there are no such thing as wolves in contrast to Cher and even his own soldiers. He finally does believe in episode 21 after they save him.
- Badass Longcoat
- Badass Mustache
- Dragon Ascendant: After Orkham's passing, he becomes the commander of all the remaining troops.
- Dragon-in-Chief: He's the one who leads Orkham's soldiers against the wolves, while Orkham's back in his castle.
- Dropped a Bridge on Him: He leads his troops off to fight Jaguara's soldiers and is never seen again. Later on a few are drinking in a bar and remark to Quent that they mopped up the last of the resistance, implying that he was killed, but we never find out considering the ending it's likely he was killed one way or another.
- Everyone Calls Him "Barkeep": He's only called The Commander or Retrieval Squad Commander.
- A Father to His Men
- Jack Bauer Interrogation Technique: Quent looks pretty beaten up after he's interrogated.
- Mauve Shirt: He appears the most out of all the soldiers and one off characters, he even made it onto the image on the main page.
- Men of Sherwood: His soldiers while out numbered and out gunned make a pretty successful stand against Jaguara's army, blowing up airships and routing their soldiers from an occupied City.
- Mook Lieutenant: He commands Lord Orkham's troops and, as befitting the trope, has a uniform that distinguishes himself from the others.
- Noble Top Enforcer: Especially when compared to Jaguara's soldiers. The Commander is rough, but willing to fight for his home. When the wolves save him he gladly points out Jaguara's keep, and has no real grudge against them.
- The Remnant: He ends up leading the last groups of organized resistance against Lady Jaguara.
- Reverse Arm-Fold: On occasion.
- Rousing Speech: When asked why he's still fighting in-spite of Orkham's death he gives one that puts the vigor back into his soldiers."We're going to Freeze City... This may prove to be the one battle that determines our fate as men. That's why I'll fight, not for the glory of the nobles, but for the honor of protecting our very existence. We'll stand together and we'll fight to save what is ours!"
Voiced by: Atsuko Tanaka (JP), Mary Elizabeth McGlynn (EN)
The leader of the mysterious Black City and part of one of the three feuding Noble Families.
- Aristocrats Are Evil
- Breast Plate
- Cain and Abel: She's Harmona's twin sister and the one who kills her out of jealousy.
- Dark Action Girl
- Disc One Final Boss
- Evil Twin: Literally.
- If I Can't Have You: She stabs Darcia with a poisoned dagger when he refuses her.
- It's All About Me
- Love Makes You Evil: She stated that everything she has done was for Darcia so they could be in Paradise together, although he loved her sister.
- Magic Knight: Competent with both sword and magic.
- Murder the Hypotenuse: She killed her twin sister Harmona, Darcia's lover who had essentially been on life support for years, in order to get her out of the picture.
- Rapunzel Hair
- Really 700 Years Old: Over two hundred, at least.
- Unwitting Instigator of Doom: After killing her sister out of jealously. It ultimately led to her death, including the entire main cast, and the Big Bad.
- Sorcerous Overlord
- Vain Sorceress
- Yandere: She killed her twin sister to have Darcia to herself and when he refuses her, Jaguara stabs Darcia with a poisoned dagger.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: She has green hair
Voiced by: Takaya Kuroda (JP), Steve Blum (EN)
The third generation of the Darcia family of Nobles. He seeks to use Cheza to somehow revive his lover Harmona.
- Anti-Villain: Type II
- Aristocrats Are Evil
- Ax-Crazy: In the OVA.
- Badass Longcoat
- Big Bad
- Despair Event Horizon: When Jaguara has Harmona killed.
- Determinator: Even when poisoned, he still nearly succeeds in ending the world.
- Duality Motif: He has one blue eye and one golden wolf's eye, to show that he's found a way to turn himself into a wolf so that he can enter the Paradise forbidden to humans. Fortunately his plan is thwarted by Kiba and Cheza, but his evil wolf eye lives on...
- Empowered Badass Normal: Darcia was already dangerous as a sword wielding normal human, then he became a wolf...
- Evil Counterpart: To Kiba in the OVA.
- Evil Laugh: Paired up with a Slasher Smile.
- Evil Sounds Deep: Courtesy of his voice actors.
- Eyepatch of Power: Subverted, as it hides an golden wolf's eye.
- Feels No Pain: He mentions Jaguara's poison has deadened him to pain.
- Freak Out: Goes through one in episode 12.
- Hero Killer: Not at first, but his appearances in the final episodes and OVA's are marked with Character Death.
- Implacable Man
- The Juggernaut: The destruction of his Fortress, being impaled by a poinsoned sword, being shot at point blank and being viciously mauled the protagonists. None of this killed him. Only when he tried to enter in Paraside that he meet his death.
- Jumping Off the Slippery Slope: After his lover's death, he becomes extremally mentally unstable and, by the end of the series, he doesn't give a damn to anything other than himself.
- Love Makes You Crazy / Love Makes You Evil: Everything he had done throughout the series was for the woman he loves. When she's murdered by her sister, he completely loses it and turns evil and crazy.
- Nietzsche Wannabe
- Nightmare Face
- Not Quite Dead: He didn't die when his castle was blown up.
- Not So Stoic: He's very quiet and cold at first, but as the series goes on, it's apparent that not all is well upstairs.
- One-Winged Angel: By the end of the series, Darcia turns himself into a large, demonic wolf.
- Put Them All Out of My Misery
- Really 700 Years Old
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The Blue to Kiba's Red.
- Slasher Smile: He does this in the OVA's finale.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: With Harmona.
- Tragic Villain
- The Unfettered
- Villainous Breakdown: When he crosses the Despair Event Horizon and gets progressively worse throughout the series.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: He was willing to destroy the new world and everyone in his way because he lost Hamona.
- Yandere: He donates everything he has in the series towards his singleminded devotion to his true love, Harmona. When Harmona dies, Darcia goes insane with grief and not only tries to kill off the entire main cast of characters, but also ensure that the next world has no chance of being perpetuated as well.
Voiced by: Maaya Sakamoto (JP), Peggy O'Neal (EN)
Darcia's love, who has been stricken with "Paradise sickness", in which her soul is "taken by Paradise", causing her to fall into a coma.
- Devoted to You: Even in her catatonic state, Darcia deeply loves her and has devoted many years of his life to find a cure for her.
- Flower in Her Hair
- Godiva Hair
- Ill Girl: Darcia's whole motive was to find Cheza and have her heal Hamona. She dies before Darcia and Cheza return, though.
- Living Emotional Crutch: To Darcia, while she was still alive.
- The Lost Lenore: To Darcia.
- Morality Chain: As long as she was there to love him, Darcia was happy and had no nefarious motivations.
- Nude Nature Dance: Played with. Her dancing in the nude had no hippie undertones but was rather there to emphasize her purity and beauty.
- Posthumous Character: In a sense. The only time we ever have a chance to see her out of her coma is in flashbacks, and is introduced to us in her catatonic state.
- Purple Eyes
- Rapunzel Hair
- Really 700 Years Old
- Star-Crossed Lovers: With Darcia.
- Too Good for This Sinful Earth: She was the only good noble in the series and she dies at the hands of her jealous sister.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Has green hair.
Voiced by: Ritsuo Sawa (JP), Mike Reynolds (EN)
The leader of Freeze City, and of one of the three Leading Noble families of the House of Lords. He stole Cheza from the Darcia Family in order to perform experiments and awaken her so she could lead the way to Paradise.
- Aristocrats Are Evil: Like all nobles.
- Big Bad Wannabe: He's taken Cheza at the start of the series, but his forces and ambitions have nothing on Darcia and Jaguara and the latter quickly has him killed.
- The Caligula: He demonstrates his lifestyle and riches while the people in Freeze city live in slums.
- Dropped a Bridge on Him: Jaguara sends some troops and they easily kill him.
- The Faceless: He never takes off his mask.
- High Collar of Doom: Check the picture.
- Malevolent Masked Men: And he never takes it off.
- Red and Black and Evil All Over
- Wicked Cultured: From what little we see of him, his home is decked out with finery.