Characters / Wolf Guy - Wolfen Crest
The main character and one of the last remaining werewolves, Inugami has drifted through life on tides of misfortune, carrying a disdain for humanity and an uncanny ability to avoid death. He strikes up a bond with his new homeroom teacher, the kind and beautiful Ms. Aoshika, despite himself and what he's gone through. So, Inugami goes through the story facing characters that seem to lose themselves by his sheer presence, and trying to make sure that his bad luck doesn't rub off on on Ms. Aoshika.
Tropes that apply to Inugami:
- Animal Motifs: Wolves. Yes, even when he's not on all fours.
- Back from the Dead: While all his family and friends think Inugami died after killing Haguro, in truth he was taken to a lab, Phoenix Organ seems to have kidnapped to perform experiments.
- Celibate Hero: Inugami, much to Ryuuko's dismay. Though he could simply not be interested in any girl his age.
- Determinator: So Aoshika's been kidnapped, brutally gang raped, it's the day of the new moon and Akira is as weak as human now. Plus, he got stabbed by Ryuuko and the wound is likely fatal. What to do? How about: run miles to find the warehouse Dou is keeping Aoshika trapped in, leap an eleven foot tall fence in a single bound, kill two Dobermans with his bare hands, completely wipe out a group of guards despite being fired at by a gatling gun that fires 2000-4000 rounds per minute, survive explosions from anti-tank mines, and sneak into the compound to reunite with Ms. Aoshika? The guy goes above and beyond to save his lady.
- Good Is Not Nice: He'll assist you and be your hero when you need it. But don't expect him to go all: "I helped you, my dear friend"
- Fantastic Racism: Doesn't think too highly of humans. Later he realizes that this mindset makes him Not So Different.
- Fight Magnet: His scent makes him a macho alpha male by default, this of course, attracts delinquents and bad guys.
- The Gadfly: Oh yes, the guy loves being a dick for laughs.
- Generation Xerox: His mother, Lois, was a werewolf student that also fell in love with her human teacher, Tetsuya. Inugami was born from this union.
- Half-Human Hybrids: His mom was a werewolf, but his dad was a human.
- The Hero Dies: Inugami dies after doing the impossible to kill Haguro, Aoshika mourns in despair, and his aunt keeps her company while she gets to know more about his life but true to some cases of this trope, it didn't stick, as soon as Aoshika knew all about Inugami's past and found a new resolve to recover, Inugami is seen at a lab, being healed and being a subject of research.
- Hot for Teacher: The only (living) person he shows affection to is Aoshika-sensei. Guess what happens soon...
- Ineffectual Loner: He is also Alone in a Crowd and really just wants to be accepted, but doesn't know how to handle all the calamity that befalls all those around him.
- Jerk With A Heartof Gold: he appears as a dick at the beginning, but he's actually a nice guy at heart.
- Lady and Knight: The (very furry, bitter and hurting) White Knight (sorta) to Aoshika's Bright Lady.
- Last of His Kind: Subverted. He thinks he is, but it's revealed that Akira Jin is also a werewolf.
- Locked into Strangeness: by pulling Heroic Second Wind one after another, Inugami's hair turned white, his werewolf form also became white, it simbolizes that he was taking energy from his own life to protect Aoshika and defeat Haguro.
- Meaningful Name: Inugami means God of Dogs.
- Mr. Fanservice: He gets his shirtless scenes.
- Noble Wolf: He even says so regarding to Haguro and his gang.
Inugami:" Those punks are nothing more than stray dogs, WOLVES ARE MUCH MUCH NOBLER!"
- Wild Child: Inugami was found with wolves in Alaska after his parents died.
- Wild Hair: He looks like Guts but with longer hair.
A troubled middle school teacher, who is saved by Inugami from a gang of thugs. She's somewhat nosey, more interested in proving herself right that Akira Inugami is a werewolf and less in that she's dealing with a werewolf
, but is otherwise genuinely worried for her student's mental wellbeing. Concern turns into more complicated things, especially when their student-teacher relationship warps and she falls within range of Inugami's magnetism for mayhem.
Tropes that apply to Aoshika:
- Beauty Equals Goodness: The most beautiful person in the manga and one of the few with a fully-functional moral compass.
- Break the Cutie: A kind-hearted Hot Teacher in a Crapsack World? It'd be more surprising if it did not happen.
- Broken Bird: Seems to have rape in her Back Story. She gets even more broken later on, specially when Hagurou decides to use her as bait for Inugami... as well as having her gangraped. Repeatedly.
- Christmas Cake: Although she was married once, but got divorced recently. She lampshades it in her drunken rambles before she meets Inugami.
- Ephebophile: She ends up in love with Inugami who's not older than fifteen.
- Gag Boobs: Ms. Aoshika's so well-endowed it's almost silly.
- Fan Disservice: Seeing her in her lacy undies should be a reason to squee. Not when she's chained to a wall, and about to be brutally gangraped by Haguro and his goons.
- Happily Failed Suicide: As if being gangraped, drugged and recorded throughout the second half of the manga wasn't enough to push her over the edge, her before her much-needed rescue, Aoshika tries to jump off the hospital's terrace when she hears about Inugami being dead; she is stopped by a wolf who resembled Inugami, and she realizes that he could be alive somewhere and that she has to live in his place and honor; in truth the wolf was Jin, Aoshika discovers this by herself and talks to Jin in Alaska about it, thanks to this she now can recognize each wolf individually and finds a new respect for them, that's where she decides to live in Alaska.
- Hot Teacher: One of the most beautiful women in the whole series, if not the prettiest.
- Lady and Knight: The (very beautiful but also very broken) Bright Lady to Inugami's White Knight.
- Morality Chain: For Inugami. Once Haguro finds out...
- Ms. Fanservice: We do see her taking showers a lot.
- Plucky Girl: After her rescue, and despite all of the horrific things that she has been through, Aoshika picks herself up and presses on.
- So Beautiful, It's a Curse: She believes that her body is the cause of all the bad things that happened to her.
- Throw the Dog a Bone: Aoshika finally seems to experience a true recovery this time, after getting to know about Inugami's past, she decides to live in Alaska, at a preservation site, where Inugami was raised by wolves. The wolves accept her presence and starts to know them better, her body is looking healthy and she is smiling again, also she seems to know wolves so much now that when Inugami woke up at the Phoenix Organ lab, Aoshika immediately noticed something.
- Yank the Dog's Chain: Great, Aoshika is saved, but at the moment Inugami is taken for dead; which made Aoshika sink deeper than when she was getting gang raped, she is not eating anything at the hospital, she can't take Inugami off her mind, and now her body shows signs of malnutrition.
- Younger Than They Look: With everything that happened to her between her kidnapping and rescue, the poor woman has visibly aged quite a bit by the end of the series.
The scariest ninth grader you'll ever meet. Son of a Yakuza
, who develops a... fixation
on Inugami sparked by their being near total opposites. Where Inugami is a deliberately passive physical monster that gains a Morality Pet
, Haguro is a destructive human being that abuses those closest to him. As the story progresses, this contrast becomes more stark and he grows the more monstrous of the two. Which is his whole intention: to be a true monster. A werewolf around just means he'll have to kick it up a notch. Or twelve.
- Animal Motifs: A hawk. Special mention goes to his eyes, which are black where they should be white.
- Attention Whore: His motives are best summed up as "How the hell can I get that werewolf to look my way?!" And he persists in this behavior even when his resources would be better spent doing anything else.
- Devil in Plain Sight: Subverted. Black sclera'd eyes, monstrous strength, emotionless carnage, but ultimately human and vulnerable as such.
- Dissonant Serenity: Until Inugami breaks his mind.
- The Dreaded: Students have a massive Oh Crap! moment when they hear he is coming back to school.
- Evil Cannot Comprehend Good: Subverted in one case. Haguro quickly figures out Inugami has at least one altruistic bone in his body and goes after Aoshika. Played straight in that he wants to be Inugami's Worthy Opponent but doesn't understand what would make Inugami think such a thing about someone.
- Expy: Looks a bit like a younger and more emotionless version of Yujiro Hanma.
- Gonk: Haguro looks damn near demonic.
Haguro's very beautiful, but also extremely messed-up girlfriend. Her interests include destruction, sadism, brutality, and having sex with the man that can deliver the most of all three, so long as it's not in her direction.
- Ax-Crazy: Whatever your definiton of "crazy bitch", she's proabably not far off. If she is, you're trying too hard.
- Broken Bird: See what repeated rapes from her dad and a pimp and living in a Crapsack World can do to a teenage girl: leave her broken and insane.
- Closer to Earth: She's slightly less crazy than Haguro, if only because she realizes the limits of her own flesh.
- Death by Sex: Save for Haguro, the men who sleep with her are all dead. Including her rapist dad and the pimp. After Haguro's death, Ryuuko goes into a kill frenzy, she stabs to death two men who were having her "services".
- Eye Scream: Haguro punches her in the eye at one point.
- Fan Disservice: She's very attractive and knows it, but she's so deranged that no amounts of nudity from her can count as sexy...
- Fan Nickname: Miss Fan Disservice.
- Fille Fatale: The creepiest version ever possible.
- The Friend Nobody Likes: Seems to have no genuine friends or admirers whatsoever throughout the entire story.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Later chapters seem to imply she's envious of Aoshika for being the one Inugami loves.
- In Love with Your Carnage: She likes her men hot, sexy, and badass.
- My Girl Is a Slut: Not that Dou had any actual feelings for Ryuuko, but he didn't seem to have a problem with her seducing other men and actually encouraged her to seduce Inugami.
- Nightmare Fetishist: Ryuuko is a disturbingly literal example.
- Too Spicy for Yog Sothoth: Possibly. Inugami getting back up from what should have been a fatal stab wound causes her to flee in terror after giving him the address of where Haguro is keeping Aoshika.
- Uncanny Valley Girl: Has this as part of her character. Only her boyfriend is scarier. By Magnitudes.
- Villainous Breakdown: Post Haguro's death, Ryuuko just lost her mind, wandering on the streets and selling her body in utter disbelief now that she lost Haguro and couldn't get Inugami.
A member of Haguro's gang and one of it's more sane members. Things don't end well for him.
- Badass Normal: A skilled and dedicated boxer, but not in the same league with Haguro.
- Bare-Fisted Monk: Which is why Inugami refuses to fight him. It would cheapen Chiba's skills.
- Came Back Wrong: Inugami gives him some of his blood, which turns him into an ogre.
- Can't Catch Up: He knows he'll never surpass or even become an equal to Haguro or Inugami which bothers him deeply. At least until Inugami gives him some of his blood.
- Hard Work Hardly Works: This is the only thing (besides Haguro obviously) that kept him and Inugami from being friends: the fact that Chiba could train forever and never be as strong as Inugami and Haguro.
- Homoerotic Subtext: Haguro thinks he has this with Inugami, so he beats him half to death and rapes him.
A mysterious reporter who knows quite a lot about Inugami. Is also a werewolf
, no reader was surprised.
- Chronic Hero Syndrome: Jin explains to Aoshika that werewolves can sense a human's sadness or call of help, while no other human can; and in some cases the good ones feel obligated to help the human, or at least try to ease their pain a bit. That's what Jin does for Aoshika, helping Inugami to rescue her and later pretending to be Inugami in wolf form to give Aoshika the hope that he might still be alive.
- Enemy Mine: With Inugami, as he has joined the guy's quest to rescue Aoshika.
One of Inugami's classmates, vice-president of the student council.
The Kuroda Brothers
Two of Haguro's gangs less sane members.
- Beta Baddie: Both have a huge inferiority complex because of a medical condition that kept their genitalia from developing properly.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: They care about each other. When one of them is told that the other has died because of Inugami (A lie. Haguro was the one who killed the twin.), the surviving twin only hesitates to claim vengeance because he lacks resources. The moment he has some, he tries to destroy Inugami and the school.
- Fingore: Don't disobey Haguro, just don't.
- Knife Nut: They have a thing for cutting up people's faces and genitalia.
- More Dakka: When the surviving Kuroda goes on a rampage.