Arranged in semi-quasi-sorta-alphabetical and chronological order.
open/close all folders
SF-A2 mikinoteThe eighth Japanese Vocaloid and the firstnote Vocaloid released by AH-Software (along with the first in their "Vocal Artist" series), Miki was also the first Vocaloid to have a demo CD included with her release (which made many fans think her announcement might be a Troll). She is voiced by Furukawa Miki of Supercar.Fanon sometimes portrays her as rather alien, both in personality and in species since her android markings are very distinctive in contrast to those of the Ridiculously Human Robots seen in the others.
- Action Girl: At least according to Lience and the appropriately titled Keep Yourself Alive and in this new piece Infinity Labyrinth made by Kurozumi-P.
- Ahoge: And a HUGE one. It's shape has influenced some portrayals, see below.
- Animal Motifs: Her illustrator has her hoodie pulled up with bear-like ears and a puffball tail here. She's also been depicted with sheep thanks to that same hoodie and ear muffs which you can also see here and here.
- Artificial Human/Cyborg: According to the information that came from the 2012 redesign, miki was designed to look like she was made out of a inorganic material and was conceptualised as an android. She is covered in muscles made of various materials such as carbon nanotubes, but were made loose to give a mild deformed look about them.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: A popular fan depiction, goes with Obfuscating Stupidity below, though this interpretation is more honest if she has an... Er... Uneducated demeanor.
- Expressive Hair: Fans have speculated that her ahoge changes according to her mood, making her default 'question-mark' mood curiosity. Whether this means she also counts as The Ditz is debatable.
- Fingerless Gloves: In her unofficial 2012 Concept Art.
- Human Alien: Fans also have speculated that she may be some kind of alien, due to her doll joints, unusual name, and the stars on her outfit.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: A lot of fans take her sometimes portrayal of innocence/curiosity as a rouse to hide pure awesome.
- Plucky Girl: According to some.
- Rapunzel Hair
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Inverted, since most of the songs she sings/appears in are cheerful and upbeat.
- Ridiculously Human Robots: Downplayed - she has robotic joints.
- Surprisingly Good English: Like younever expected.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Cherries.
- Tsundere: Some fans are beginning to see her as this, lately, and appears to be more of a Type B complete with a song. note .
- Vague Age: Her body is designed to look like that of a child, but also give her the overall look of approx 14 years old. Having an immature-looking body allowed more easily for her to be passed off as Younger than She Looks, similar to how Miku and Rin could do the same since they lacked mature looking bodies. See also Artificial Human above.
- Zettai Ryouiki: In the PV Liar and in her unofficial redesign by Yusuke Kozaki◊.
Kaai YukiYuki is notable for being the first "child voice" (she's an elementary student) Vocaloid released. She is distributed by AH-Software and is the ninth (or tenth) Japanese Vocaloid.Fanon portrays her as either an innocent and naïve child, or... quite adventurous and bold.
- Age Inappropriate Art: In this cover of Magnet by her and Kiyoteru. Try not to get freaked out by the look on Yuki's face.
- Cheerful Child: In Fanon.
- Creepy Child: She sure has a lot of horror songs...
- Girlish Pigtails
- Little Miss Badass: In MUTEKI SHOUJO:99.
- Surprisingly Good English: In Calalini and Castle on a Cloud.
- Token Mini-Moe
- Trademark Favorite Food: Apples. In fact her description says she is "as tall as 10 big apples" and "as heavy as 86 apples".
Hiyama KiyoteruReleased by AH-Software (but not as a part of the "Vocal Artist" series) and the ninth (or tenth) Japanese Vocaloid, Kiyoteru is explicitly stated to be a math teacher.On weekends, he's the vocalist of a rock band named Ice Mountain with the stage name "Ice Mountain Teru".Fanon portrays him as a strict, Straight Man teacher... Although he might have hidden depths...Thanks to an official artbook released by AH Software (details in the Ice Mountain link), he has more official canon info than the other vocaloids.
- Asexuality: Never had a relationship with a girl, according to the artbook.
- Cool Teacher
- Friend to All Children: Again according to the artbook. Likely the main reason he's a school teacher.
- The Glasses Come Off: At first, fans speculate that while Kiyoteru is more mild-mannered and professional, he does have a bit of a wild side when he takes off his glasses... And then the official Ice Mountain booklet describes him as such, confirming the speculation. However, he can't keep them off for too long as it would result in eyestrain.
- Face of the Band: Of his Five-Man Band Ice Mountain.
- The Hero: Hiyama Kiyoteru himself.
- The Lancer: Akito Hiyama - Guitar; Kiyoteru's childhood friend.
- The Big Guy: Tohma Azuchi - Bass; the Delinquent of the band, tends to get into troubles.
- The Smart Guy: Haruto Amane - Keyboard; said to be innately genius.
- The Chick: Natsuki Hokaze - Drums; was once mistaken as a girl, now trying to grow up his manliness.
- Hot Teacher: Damn, Teru-sensei... you're looking good here◊.
- Memento MacGuffin: His glasses - a gift from his foster father.
- Parental Abandonment: He was raised by a foster father.
- Perpetual Poverty: He donates a large chunk of his income to church, thus he's usually broke.
- Squee: At least that's what some fangirls go...
- Stoic Spectacles
- Sweet Tooth: Some fanon suggests chocolate as his Trademark Favorite Food.
- Trademark Favorite Food:
- Chocolate, as suggested by a portion of the fandom.
- Iced coffee, which is a subject of contest between a large portion of the fandom; it's pitted against the black folder in his official art.
Nekomura IrohaReleased by AH-Software (not in the Vocal Artist series) and the fourteenth Japanese one, she was created in conjunction with Sanrio for their Together with Hello Kitty! video game project. Thus, she was an established character before the Vocaloidification (her character was created by illustrator okama for the video game project.Okama defines her as a "kittyler", or Hello Kitty fangirl. Thus, the fandom follows up on this.
- Animal Motifs: Cats.
- Arm Cannon: Her Dynamic-Phonon Busters, gigantic speakers that attach to her arms. Only spewing sounds, but cannons nonetheless.
- Fangirl: Of Hello Kitty.
- Meaningful Name: "Iroha" is the Japanese equivalent of "ABC" and "Nekomura" means "cat village".
- Ridiculously Human Robots: Downplayed - She has speakers for her hands. Although they may just be gloves, as other official Hello Kitty artwork shows her with normal hands. Fans also tend to portray her this way.
- Short Hair with Tail
- Due to her deep voice, she is often portrayed as this.
- Some producers are able to subvert this stereotype either by raising her voice (with good tuning) like in Banton Summer Sky, or by making her sing opera like this amazing rendition of Ave Maria (potentially giving the classic style Vocaloids like Prima and Miriam a run for their money).
- Vocal Dissonance: Hotly contested, as some believe it doesn't fit her design while others believe it's just tomboyish.
Yuzuki YukariAH Software's first Vocaloid 3, Yukari was made in a collaboration with multiple Vocaloid song producers. Released on December 22nd, she has a smooth sounding deep voice. She was also the first vocaloid to be released with the Voiceroid software, where users could have her speak normally.Her gray bracelet, located on her right, arm says, "She unites you all with her voice." Seen here ◊She is voiced by Chihiro Ishiguro.
- Alliterative Name
- Animal-Eared Headband: More like Animal-eared Hoodie, but it's still there.
- Animal Motifs: Rabbits. Her hood has bunny ears on it. Plus, the "zuki" in her name means moon.
- Chainsaw Good: Goodbye Chainsaw. Title says it all. That, and the consistent amount◊ of fanart◊ circling◊ around helps. Never before have purple bunnies looked so badass.
- Curtains Match the Window
- Hair Decorations
- Purple Eyes
- Tomboyish Sidetails
- You Gotta Have Purple Hair
- Zettai Ryouiki
Tohoku ZunkoAH Software's upcoming female Vocaloid. She was originally created as a mascot of a relief campaign in the Tōhoku region following an earthquake and tsunami that devastated the region on March 11, 2011, later released as a Voiceroid. After enough donations were received, AH Software gave the go signal to turn her into a fully fledged Vocaloid.She is voiced by Satomi Satō, known for voicing Ritsu Tainaka from K-On!
YAMAHA (Bplats Inc..)
VY1Codenamed "Mizki" (as a reference to hanamizuki, a type of flower), VY1's announcement and demo files were made in the most mysterious way possible. Eventually it was revealed that it was developed by bplats and was eventually distributed by Yamaha themselves as the twelfth Japanese Vocaloid.Unlike the other Vocaloids, VY1 has no gender or personality, as it is intended to be used as a serious musical product. It is however described as "feminine".Despite being The Faceless, VY1 still crops up in Fanon. Interpretations vary wildly, but the majority are some variation on a teenage girl in a floral kimono. The winning design for the 2011 VocaFes contest follows that.
- Detached Sleeves: In her winning design above.
- The Faceless
- Flower Motifs: All over the box. It's also where the code-name Mizki comes from (the flower hanamizuki).
- Iconic Item: The paper fan and/or the hair clip on its boxart.
- Multicolored Hair: In her design above, she haspink and turqoise hair.
- Rapunzel Hair: Again, in her winning design.
- The Tease: In Nante Midara na Shiikensaa da.
- Updated Re-release: VY1V3.
VY2Like VY1, it was developed by bplats and was eventually distributed by Yamaha. It is the 16th Japanese Vocaloid. It is also given a codename of "Yuma."Also like VY1, VY2 has no gender or personality, as it is intended to be used as a serious musical product. It is however described as "masculine".Despite being The Faceless, VY2 also crops up in Fanon. Interpretations vary wildly, but the majority are of a young man in traditional Japanese attire, usually as a warrior of any kind. Although, the winning design for VY2 in 2011 VocaFes contest◊ strives far away from said description.
- Cool Sword: The wakizashi on its boxart.
- The Faceless
- Katanas Are Just Better: A wakizashi, technically. Some people in fandom even extend further into the joke and say that it is a katana, or even Gakupo's katana, making both duet in a few songs.
- Nice Hat: In his winning design above.
- Ridiculously Human Robots: Downplayed — As seen in this concept art◊, he looks more like a cyborg.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Yuma/Yuuma.
- The Stoic: In Fanon.
- Updated Re-release: VY2V3, but unlike VY1V3, he gets an additional "falscetto" voicebank to expand his singing range.
MewA Vocaloid made by Yamaha, she is so far one of the 2 starter vocals offered for the Vocaloid 3 software, other than VY1 above. Her voice provider is Miu Sakamoto. The cat depicted in her artwork is based off of Miu's own cat, Sabami.Her full design is here◊; the design is made by a Japanese artist "Otaniryuji".
- Aloof Darkhaired Girl: The "aloof" part is more of a Fanon portrayal, though.
- Animal Motifs: Cat, or felines in general. Her shoe even has a bell collar on it.
- Cool Shades
- Nonstandard Character Design: She's drawn in a more realistic style than the previous Japanese Vocaloids.
- Pretty in Mink: Not only a scarf that suspiciously made from a feline, she also wears a leopard-patterned skirt.
- Punny Name: "Mew" has the same pronunciation as "Miu".
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin
- Tattooed Crook
- Woman in Black
Zola ProjectA trio of males, Yuu, Kyo and Wil were made for the 10th Anniversary of Vocaloid. Their voices were made to blend well together, and provide vocals for all kinds of situations, be it as a group, solo, duet or even back-up. Their art was done by Yoshitako Amano of Final Fantasy fame. Several impressive and realistic sounding demos have been release so far, such as this and this.
- Ambiguously Brown: Wil, considering his skin tone is darker than the extremely pale Yuu and Kyo in official artwork. As a bonus, his voice actor, Maui, is Filipino.
- '80s Hair
- Nonstandard Character Design: It's what's to expect from the guy who did art for Final Fantasy.
Anon & Kanon
anon & kanon◊ were released by Bplats in March 2014. The two girls are sisters, Anon being the younger of the two, in high school, and can cover a variety of songs. They are the first Vocaloids to be confirmed as twins, but the second to be confirmed as siblings. Their voice providers have yet to be released.
- Boyish Short Hair: Anon has short hair, contrasting with her sister's Rapunzel Hair.
- Color Contrast: The classic black/white version; Anon wears a white outfit, Kanon wears a black outfit.
- Coordinated Clothes
- Detached Sleeves: Both of their outfits have these.
- Fingerless Gloves: Both siblings wear them.
- Foolish Sibling, Responsible Sibling: Anon is the "foolish," Kanon is the "responsible."
- Hair Decorations: Both girls have headbands that match their outfit color.
- Idiot Hair: Both girls have a very small ahoge.
- Multicolored Hair: Kanon's hair is a light orange, and is a light purple near the ends.
- Nice Shoes: Both girls have a pair of shoes with a CD player looking thing on them.
- Rapunzel Hair: Kanon's hair goes down to her waist, contrasting with her sister's Boyish Short Hair.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Anon is the Red Oni, described as 'airheaded' and 'scatter brained.' Kanon is the Blue Oni, described as 'a focused and level headed girl.'
- Theme Twin Naming: The "non" at the end of their names.
- Thigh-High Boots: Kanon wears these.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Their designs give off this vibe, with Anon being the tomboy, and Kanon being the Girly Girl.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Both of the girls like bread.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Anon is type A, Kanon is type C.
flower is a Vocaloid created by YAMAHA. She is a Kuudere. She was released for digital download on May 9th. Her full product name is V-flower.
- But Not Too White: Averted, as she has very pale skin.
- Costume Porn: We dare you to describe her outfit to someone.
- Elegant Gothic Lolita: Seems to be her outfit of choice.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: She has a see-through Detached Sleeve on one arm. On the other, it looks like a bandage.
- Dark Is Not Evil: A minor example. She wears a lot of black, but she is a Kuudere.
- Improbable Hairstyle: Her hair is hard to describe. Think Girlish Pigtails, except coming out of the same hairband on the top of the head, crossed with Spiky Hair, and you have a basic picture.
- Kuudere: Her official personality, although they do not specify what type.
- She's Got Legs
- Skunk Stripe: Her hair is mostly white, with one chunk dyed black.
- Thigh-High Boots
- Vocal Dissonance: She has a very girly look about her, but her voice has been described as 'androgynous,' being on a more boyish side.
- Woman in Black
- Zettai Ryouiki: Type A.
Crypton Future Media
MeikoMeiko is the first Japanese Vocaloid to be created, and was released for the original Vocaloid engine. She was released by Crypton Future Media and voiced by Haigou Meiko. She was re-released on Vocaloid 3 engine on February 4th, 2014, which includes an English voicebank and several "append" variants (like Power and Whisper). A 14-day trial edition of her V3 Power voicebank is already available for download for those who want to try her out.Fanon often portrays her as enjoying sake and frequently getting drunk. Many songs show she likes beating up on Kaito, however these tropes have been subverted many times in some Tear Jerker love songs.
- Ax-Crazy: In Alice Human Sacrifice
- Bare Your Midriff
- Bilingual Bonus: Meiko V3 has an English voice bank.
- Black Knight: In fantasy/medieval styled songs. Usually a heroic one, though.
- Blood Knight: In Alice Human Sacrifice.
- Extreme Omnivore: Evil Food Eater Conchita
- Hard-Drinking Party Girl: In Fanon.
- He W Ho Fights Monsters: A "she" example, seen in the "Daughter of Vengeance" video.
- Idiot Hair: Her Project Diva models have this.
- I'm a Humanitarian: In a good number of the Nightmare Fuel videos.
- Jiggle Physics: In Project Diva F.
- The Lad-ette: In fanon.
- Lady of War: In action oriented songs.
- Masculine Girl to Kaito's Feminine Boy, in fanon.
- Ms. Fanservice
- Magic Skirt: Her MMD models do this.
- Mama Bear / My Beloved Smother: Her Team Mom status, when coupled with her violent nature in Fanon, causes her to be portrayed as one or the other in songs or fanfics.
- Master Swordsman: Portrayed in a few videos.
- Not Evil, Just Misunderstood: In "The Music Wizard of Oz", she plays the Wicked Witch of the West and steals the Music Wizard's magic emerald guitar, but doesn't do so out of malicious intent; she does so because she's lonely and hopes that by singing she'll find a friend. Dorothy (Miku), the Scarecrow (Kaito), the Tin Girl (Luka) and the Vegetarian Lions (Rin and Len) convince her to return the guitar so that the Wizard will grant her wish for friends. It's also implied that her song was in mourning for her sister.
- Only One Name: Although she has a fanmade last name, Sakine, which is officially used for her teenaged form.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Reversed, with the fact that while her character has no official personality, but she has her fair share of Nightmare Fuel videos. The ones that don't usually have a sort of muted red/brown for her eyes.
- Pay Evil unto Evil: In Daughter of Vengeance, she leads the rebellion against Rin, who she plans to execute, but upon discovering that Len has pulled a Twin Switch with Rin, she kills him anyway, because he's the only person she (Rin) loves and Meiko wants to make her suffer like she suffered.
- She's Got Legs: Her V3 official artwork◊ emphasizes this.
- Stripperific: Her outfit, to a certain degree.
- Team Mom: In Fanon, when she's not busy being the resident Hard-Drinking Party Girl and beating up on Kaito.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Sake.
- Tsundere: In Fanon.
- Updated Re-release: Meiko V3 was released on February 4, 2014, which added additional voice banks as well as an English one.
KaitoThe second Japanese Vocaloid, also released for the initial engine. He is distributed by Crypton Future Media and voiced by Fuuga Naoto.Kaito is depicted in Fanon as a silly, happy-go-lucky kind of guy who enjoys eating ice cream; he is constantly attacked by Meiko, the first female Japanese Vocaloid. Like much Vocaloid fanon, in some areas of the fandom these ideas have gone out of fashion.
- Adorkable: Commonly portrayed in fanon as a lovable dorky goofball.
- Badass Longcoat: Along with his Scarf of Asskicking, in vids where he is badass.
- Bare Your Midriff: His default MMD model does this. Most fanmade models have him wear a shirt under his coat to cover it up.
- Big Brother Instinct
- Big Eater: He is portrayed as more obsessed with his Trademark Favorite Food than the other Vocaloids. He also has many songs dedicated to it.
- Bilingual Bonus: His V3 release adds an English voicebank.
- Bishōnen: Portrayed as such in a good ratio of his videos (most notable example might be his best known video Cantarella) despite being both the The Ditz and Butt Monkey (see below) of the group.
- Butt Monkey: There's even a pool on Danbooru called "Beating Kaito Shitless".
- Chick Magnet: In Prince of Blue.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: In "Story About A Poor Rabbit".
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: There is a whole nicovideo tag called "Kaito no Honki" (Kaito's seriousness). It contains awesome. Loads and loads of awesome.
- The Ditz: Many fan vids portray him as an adorable little fool.
- The Pollyanna: As a result, when things get sour, he tries to keep a happy face as long as possible.
- Does Not Like Tomatoes: Based on this song.
- Female Gaze: Project Diva reveals that he has some pretty nice abs.
- Forgot I Could Fly: His parody on Rin's Daughter of Evil, Lord of Darkness, ends with 'ah, he forgot he can transform to mist'.
- Feminine Boy to Meiko's Masculine Girl, in fanon.
- I'm a Humanitarian: (Along with Meiko) in some of the Nightmare Fuel videos, most notably "Dark Woods Circus".
- The Klutz: He trips in both Project Mirai intros.
- Kung-Fu Wizard: Appears to be this in Synchronicity.
- Lyrical Dissonance: "Shineba Iinoni" / "I wish they'd just die"
- Man Child / One of the Kids: Often depicted as an excitable, affectionate, and sensitive goofball who changes song lyrics to express his love of ice cream. He is also often portrayed as being one of the most clingy and needy of his 'Master' (when he's not portrayed as outright Yandere for them), and is usually shown to get along well with the younger Vocaloids.
- Manly Tears: In Double Rainbow
- Morality Pet: When not being beaten senseless by her, he is sometimes depicted as this for Meiko.
- Mr. Fanservice: He's often shirtless.
- Naked People Are Funny: He often appears naked with his scarf acting as a censor (or sometimes not) in videos/fanart/MMD, for no real reason other than humor.
- Noodle People: The style of his V1 box art. Averted in his V3 box art which has more realistic proportions.
- Only One Name: Although he's given the fan-made last name, Shion.
- Open Mouth, Insert Foot: Often the reason behind him getting abused by other (mostly female)vocaloids. One extremely funny example is present in Miku's this video.
- Scarf of Asskicking: In the vids he's allowed to look like a badass.
- He does not have the scarf in the vid where he is most badass, though.
- Stepford Smiler / Yandere: A popular Alternative Character Interpretation to complement his usual characterization as a ditzy Pollyanna. His version of Uninstall gets altered lyrics and a small PV.
- Also here in Koi-Uta.
- Surprisingly Good English: His new English voicebank has received some good review. This is just one of many examples of it put to good use.
- Team Dad: In Fanon, if only by seniority.
- Too Kinky to Torture: In this parody of Rin Kagamine's "Meltdown". Sometimes portrayed as his reasoning for putting up with Meiko's treatment of him in fanon.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Ice cream.
- Undying Loyalty: Frequently portrayed as being the Vocaloids most loyal to his 'Master', sometimes to disturbing levels.
- Updated Re-release: Kaito V3, but also has new voicebanks, including an English one.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: In the rare occasions that he's featured with Leon, the two have this dynamic going on.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Exactly What It Says on the Tin.
Hatsune MikuThe second note Vocaloid for the Vocaloid2 engine, though the first from Japan, and Japan's third in total. She is voiced by Saki Fujita. Miku was the one who attracted popularity for the Vocaloid engine through some of her Memetic Mutation videos; before then, Vocaloid was nothing more than an obscure music virtual instrument. She is the first in Crypton's Character Vocal series, and thus has a code-name of CV01.A separate release by Crypton, "Miku Append", features six new voice banks recorded by Fujita Saki, "soft," "solid," "dark," "light," "sweet," and "vivid," designed to capture different moods. The original Miku is required to be installed in order to install the Append. Also, an English bank, which began development way back in 2011, was released (at least in downloadable format) on August 31, 2013 (which coincidentally is her birthday), including an Apple Macintosh version, a first for Vocaloid.In Fanon she is portrayed as a kindly, cheerful girl, although occasionally a bit odd. Due to the amount of songs and fanwork she possesses, the Fanon has been subverted as much as it has been Played Straight. She has a bright, generally-used-for-high-pitch voice, which also has a very large song demographic.
- A-Cup Angst: Most notably in one PV of "World is Mine" where she slaps her love interest with a leek for commenting on her breasts.
- Anti-Gravity Clothing: Her square ribbons are stated to hold her hair in place without physically touching it.
- Alternate Character Reading: The name "Miku" is a pun based on the fact that the kanji can also be read as mirai, or "future."
- Artificial Human: In Test Tube Princess.
- Bare Your Midriff: Her new official "American" design.
- Berserk Button: Do not touch Miku's panties. It never ends well.
- Same applies to her leek.
- According to Toyota, messing with her face will earn her wrath.
- Sukone Tei, if stealing "Declare War On All Vocaloid" from Tei means anything.
- Badass: There are two videos that fit the description of showing her awesomeness... among other things.
- Bilingual Bonus: Her English voicebank, though only played straight with her V3 bundled package available since September 26, 2013 (the English voicebank which came out earlier can be purchased separately like Megpoid English).
- Brainwashed and Crazy: In Synchronicity. Len frees her of the mask that made her like this in the second song of the three-part series.
- Also this way in Festival of Asylum.
- Breakout Character: And how!
- Character Celebrity Endorsement: She starred in a series of Toyota Corolla commercials (for the USA), as a result of Toyota being the main sponsor of her live concert at Anime Expo 2011 in Los Angeles.
- Character Number: 39 (mi-ku). Her concert is 39's Giving Day (March 9), and her Facebook page needed 39,390 likes for her to get an English bank.
- Entertainingly, '3-9' can also be read as 'san-kyu', or 'thank you'.
- Cloudcuckoolander: For example...
- Detached Sleeves
- Determinator: In the 3D PV of Hello, Planet, she doesn't let little things like her arm falling off from journeying across the devastated post-apocalyptic world to find her master.
- Does Not Like Shoes: Her Append appearance, as well as the Append outfits of several other Vocaloids, has her barefoot.
- The Dragon: Both literally and in terms of the trope, but trapped in human form, in Synchronicity.
- Expressive Hair: In some fanart, at least.
- Girlish Pigtails: All the way to the ground!
- Greater Need Than Mine: In 1/6, in which she gives up her aspirations of going up into space to help her depressed boyfriend. Subverted due to the fact that her dream is still possible, she'll just have to wait longer for it, but it's a kind gesture nonetheless.Miku: The sun gives its lightTo let the moon glowCan you let me help you like them?
- Hotter and Sexier: Her Append boxart has been accused of being oversexualized.
- Jack-of-All-Trades: As of her Append upgrade; her six extra voicebanks theoretically should give her the proper tonal qualities to produce most kinds of music now. Append was created in response to user complaints that Miku's voice was too cute and cheery for some of the songs people wanted to make with her.
- Leotard of Power: Her Append design is made of this. Would've been taken more literally if she had a Power voicebank.
- Mascot: Crypton uses her a lot to promote themselves.
- Meaningful Name: 'Hatsune' means 'first sound'; Miku was the first Japanese Vocaloid2 character to be produced.
- Multicolored Hair: Her English voicebank design sports varying shades of neon colors on her hair, from dark green to lime, and even purple.
- Our Dragons Are Different: She's actually a dragon trapped in human form and forced to ensure that no-one interferes with the process of offering girls to die to appease the other and even stronger dragon in Synchronicity.
- Panty Shot: Fandom universally has given her striped green panties.
- Plucky Girl: In Fanon.
- Psycho Lesbian: In Escape The Princess, to Gumi.
- Rapunzel Hair: It goes all the way down to her ankles for crying out loud!
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: towards Tei in the first song Tei made
- Sleepyhead / Lazy Bum: In a good number of her more humorous songs she talks about how she can't stay awake or complains about working (Triple Baka, Take It Easy and World is Mine come to mind).
- She also sings Sloth's song in Mothy's Seven Deadly Sins series.
- Smark: BE MIKU got her labeled as one.
- Spoiled Sweet: A common portrayal in fanon.
- Spotlight-Stealing Squad: She's one of the most popular out of all the Vocaloids, to the point that some people don't realize other Vocaloids exist.
- Many of the others have similar levels of popularity...within the fandom. Non-fans usually only know about Miku. Crypton's mascotization of Miku doesn't help; they have, for example, 40 different collectible Vocaloid phone charms, 29 of which are Mikus. Vocaloid concerts also tend to be about 3/4ths Miku and 1/4th everyone else.
- Stripperific: Her recent "Racing Queen" design by Goodsmile Racing for the Sepang GT race in Malaysia as reported here.
- The Cameo: Miku (singing World is Mine) appears in The iDOLM@STER 2 for the PS3 as a priced DLC opponent for the game's Festival stages. Furthermore, she has an alternate download pack which gives her the Miku Append outfit and an alternate song (Melt).
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Usually portrayed as the Girly Girl to Rin's tomboy.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Negi/Leek. It came from her cover of the Ievan Polka, in which she discredited the Leekspin meme from Orihime and made it her own. Along with the leeks she also has a fondness for bacon wrapped hotdogs. according to the Toyota ads.
- Updated Re-release: Miku Append, where she received an update that consisted of six new voicebanks: Soft, Sweet, Dark, Vivid, Solid, and Light. All of which reflect her moods and gives her more vocal range.
- Her V3 Japanese voicebanks, which are all updates of her original V2 voicebanks, available since September 26, 2013.
- With Friends Like These...: Several others aren't always too fond of Hatsune's status. This doesn't stop them from singing with her.
- World's Most Beautiful Woman: Often depicted as such. Deconstructed in "Alice of Human Sacrifice", where her beauty leads to her becoming an incredibly vain queen and fearing what would happen if she grows old. The song never gives specifics as to what happens to her next, but most PVs and fan interpretations have this phobia leading to her going completely insane.
- Tsundere: During "World of Mine" where she is a type A; bitchy and lovesick at the same time but mellowing to the later at the end of the song.
- Yandere: Most notably in the song ACUTE, but if she's in a scenario where she loves KAITO and she gets rejected in favor of someone else, there will be pain.
- You Gotta Have Turquoise Hair: However, it may alternate between different shades of green and blue.
- Zettai Ryouiki: wearing Thigh-High Boots. Rank A; can qualify for Rank S (with Tsundere added) depending on depictions.
Kagamine Rin / Kagamine LenFormally distributed as a package together (officially they are Kagamine Rin/Len), Rin and Len make up the second Japanese Vocaloid to be released for the Vocaloid2 engine and the fourth overall. They are distributed by Crypton Future Media and voiced by Asami Shimoda. They are the second in the Character Vocal series and are thus codenamed CV02.They later received an "ACT2" update voice package with an entirely new set of voices, although whether they're better are up to you. At the time, installing ACT2 required the original Rin/Len installation, but now only the ACT2 is currently being sold and the original is unavailable. In the same vein as Miku, they received an Append—Power, Warm, and Sweet for Rin; Power, Cold, and Serious for Len.In Fanon, Rin used to be portrayed as a somewhat cruel Genki Girl and Len as an Adorably Precocious Child.Debating on whether they are mirror images or twins will cause Internet Backdraft, as Crypton once described them as opposite sides of a mirror ("kagami" meaning "mirror"), but later changed it back to twins. Eventually they just took back both definitions and left it hanging to anyone's interpretation.
- Adorably Precocious Child: Len, Len, Len. General fanon consensus is that he tries to act mature for his age, yet fails miserably.
- Adorkable: Either one of them (and sometimes both of them), depending on the song. For example, Len is this in Kokoro and Rin is this in Suki Daisuki. General fanon consensus is that Len is usually this trope, though.
- Ax-Crazy: Rin in Karakuri Burst."Kowashite! Kowashite!" (Destroy! Destroy!)
- Badass Princess: Rin in Nemesis of the Ruined Kingdom.
- Big Brother Instinct/Declaration of Protection: While Rin is usually depicted as the older of the two, Len is usually portrayed as being very protective of her (Servant of Evil and Kaito ga Uninstall for example). This is usually what leads to his death.
- Bishounen: Whenever Len's drawn to look older than a young teenager, he's this.
- Brother-Sister Team: In some songs, such as Trick and Treat and Desert Bluebird.
- Butt Monkey: Often Len, but not nearly on the same par as Kaito.
- Chick Magnet: Fanon has Len having a habit of triggering Cuteness Proximity in female Vocaloids. Heck, in one Project Diva video, a Rokurokubi falls in love with him instantly!
- Chronically Killed Actor: Both Len and Rin.
- Creepy Twins: "Trick and Treat".
- Damsel in Distress: Rin becomes one in Synchronicity, which takes place in a world where girls are selected at a young age to appease a dragon by singing and dancing for it nonstop until they die of exhaustion and starvation. Naturally, Len and several of the other Vocaloids take it upon themselves to rescue her.
- Damsel out of Distress: Again, Rin in Synchronicity. By the finale, she and Len work together to take down the dragon, and while both of their life-forces are being drained because of it, they still manage to kill the dragon (and Rin even does most of the work!).
- Deadpan Snarker: Len is often portrayed as this in fanon.
- Detached Sleeves
- Evil Versus Evil: In "Karakuri Burst". With Rin as an Axe Crazy assassin and Len as a corrupt, Nazi-like soldier, it's kind of hard to tell who we're supposed to root for.
- Foil: Fanon often depicts them as foils for each other. The most common ways include:
Rin: A song of hope and light for tomorrowLen: A song of despair and shadow to bury the past.
- Foolish Sibling, Responsible Sibling: Rin is the foolish sibling and Len is the responsible sibling.
- Masculine Girl, Feminine Boy: Rin is often depicted as tough, scrappy and rambunctious with Len being calmer, more polite and wiser.
- Brains and Brawn: Len's usually the brains and Rin's usually the brawn.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: Songs usually describe Rin as outgoing, Tsundere, selfish, stubborn and/or plucky; Len is usually portrayed as intelligent, sensitive, cute, and/or serious. Their Appends stretched this further. They have a juxtaposed duet in Paradise of Light and Shadow, the second part of Synchronicity which accentuates this dynamic. Len sings of how Rin was taken away from him and how she suffers alone because of their cruel world, while Rin herself sings of a world where everyone can smile and protecting it.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Rin is usually Red and Len is usually Blue.
- Genki Girl: Fanon interpretation of Rin.
- Girly Run: Len in this PV of Alice in Musicland.
- God Save Us from the Queen!: Rin in Story of Evil. She also plays a much sillier example in Death Should Not Have Taken Thee.
- Greek Chorus: In "Witch Hunt", they appear as two commoners, providing exposition.
- Hair Decorations: Rin's ribbon.
- Heel Realization: Rin's character in "Story of Evil", after Len's character sacrifices himself for her. Len has one of these in "Spice!", when he is in the middle of pretty much trying to rape Rin.
- Heroic RROD: Part of the main conflict of Synchronicity. Len has to find Rin before she succumbs to this.
- Half-Identical Twins/Opposite-Sex Clone: Depending on what side of the twins vs. mirror images debate you're on. note
- Iconic Item: Aside from oranges and bananas, the roda rora (Roadroller) is also synonymous with the Kagamine twins.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Len, usually in regards to Rin and/or Miku.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: A common interpretation of Rin. The best example of this would probably be "Okay, Green is the Enemy", where Rin gets jealous of Miku after she catches Kaito's attention, and asks Neru for advice on what to do about it. Neru suggests that they leave nasty comments on her videos and make her life miserable, but Rin turns the idea down because while she's jealous of Miku, she still admires her and doesn't want to do anything that would hurt her feelings.
- Len at the end of "Spice!".
- Kid-anova Len in "Spice!"...but according to many FanVids, his true love is the equally manipulative Rin.
- Kiddie Kid: Rin is often portrayed with a childish personality, in contrast to Len's maturity.
- Knight Templar Big Brother: Len is often depicted as this in darker songs. He takes on a more heroic variant in Synchronicity.
- Left-Handed Mirror: In fanon, they are generally portrayed as opposites in personality while being nearly identical in appearance.
- Little Miss Badass: Many consider Rin to be the toughest of the Vocaloids.
- Magical Girl: Subverted, with Len as a Magical Kitty. I'm serious.
- Meaningful Name: 'Kagamine' means 'mirror sound', to emphasize their mirror-image nature.
- Momma's Boy: When Meiko is depicted as the Team Mom, Len is almost always being smothered by her, sometimes in more ways than one.
- Morality Pet: Len is very often this to Rin when she's at her absolute worst. His role in "Story of Evil" is a noteworthy example.
- Mr. Fanservice: Len is usually the go-to Vocaloid for male fanservice.
- Only Sane Man: Len. C'mon, he's surrounded by not so smart Miku, Gumi and Kaito, Tsundere Rin, Meiko, and Luka, and naked-happy Gakupo (and Kaito).
- Unless he's portrayed as a shota. Then the Only Sane Man is usually Luka.
- Order Versus Chaos: In "Karakuri Burst", wherein Rin is Chaos and Len is Order. Interestingly, it's also a case of Evil Versus Evil.
- Pink Means Feminine: Rin wears a pink dress and a white hat with a pink ribbon in the PVs of Prisoner and Paper Plane.
- She also has a pink bow in one PV Suki Daisuki.
- Playing Against Type:
- Len gets unusually sexual in "SPICE!". "Mase Lenka" takes his sexuality Up to Eleven.
- Don't forget Messiah of Desire, though he has only one target (Luka) he's unexpectedly aggressive.
- I think one can safely add Gigantic O.T.N. and maybe Plus Boy/Purasu Danshi to this. Basically O.T.N. is short for "Ochin" which is japanese for.... I guess you get the gist.
- Plucky Girl: Rin in Fanon.
- Pretty Fly for a White Guy: Len is depicted this way in quite a few videos.
- Tender Tears: To say Len looks adorable when he cries is an understatement.
- Sailor Fuku: Rin, however, gets shorts, while Len gets the male version with the tie.
- Sarashi: They provide the page image, each modeling her/his own gender's variation.
- Screw Yourself / Twincest: It's not entirely unusual to romantically pair the two of them up with each other. Many songs indeed played this up.
- Separated at Birth: Played for Drama in many of their songs.
- In Synchronicity, they're both this but linked psychically, this being the reason for Len's determination to save her from the dragon that so many girls before her had died for.
- Servile Snarker: Len (the soldier) is this to Rin (the king) in Death Should Not Have Taken Thee!.
- She's Got Legs: Rin's shorts are minuscule. Some fan artists elongate her shorts for dignity, as a result.
- Stalker with a Crush: Len in Like, Dislike.
- Also Rin, in "A Loving Robot."
- Stupid Sexy Flanders: Len, especially in Project Diva 2.
- Sweet Polly Oliver: The video for "Skeleton Life" has Rin pulling one of these.
- They Killed Lenny: Len tends to die at the end of the songs he's in.
- Rin also tends to die a lot - to a higher degree than Len, actually - but many people don't realize that.
- Tomboy: Rin in fanon.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Oranges (Rin) and bananas (Len).
- Trickster Archetype: Rin is very often portrayed as such in fanworks and songs.
- And when Len gets in on it they become Trickster Twins.
- Tsundere: Rin in Fanon, but Len can be if paired with Kaito or Gakupo.
- or Len with Miku for that matter.
- Theme Twin Naming: Their names (R and L) are plays on 'right' and 'left' respectively.
- The Ojou: Rin in the Story of Evil series.
- Tiny Tyrannical Girl: Rin often gets this treatment in fanon.
- Token Mini-Moe: Both of them among the Cryptonloids, but Len especially.
- Updated Re-release: The Kagamine Rin/Len Append. In the future a V3 release is confirmed.
- Villain Protagonist: They tend to be this in the darker songs. Usually, it's Rin (Evil series, Fear Garden and Thirteen Year Old Killer) but Len has played this role in The Riddle Solver Who Couldn't Solve Riddles, Spice! and Psychotic Love Song and both of them have played this in Trick and Treat.
- Len could be argued as an Anti Villain Protagonist in the Story of Evil, too. Though motivated by sisterly love, he is still The Dragon to the Royal Brat Rin and participated in a lot of unsavory acts at her command (including killing his adoptive father). Of course, his sacrifice tends to overshadow that.
- What Have I Done: Rin in Message of Regret.
- Who Wears Short Shorts?: Rin wears short shorts!
- And apparently so does Len in Project Diva 2.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: Len has done so on a couple of occasions (sometimes against his will). And he looked quite good doing it.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Rin in Karakuri Burst.
- Len's "Punk" costume in Project Diva 2.
Megurine LukaLuka is the sixth Japanese Vocaloid and released by Crypton Future Media. Notable in that 1) she's actually given a Canon personality as "cool, somewhat mysterious", 2) she has both a Japanese and heavily accented English voicebank and 3) her given "age", 20, is significantly older than that of Miku's (16) and Rin/Len's (14). She is voiced by Asakawa Yuu.As the third in Crypton's "Character Vocal" series, she is codenamed CV03.Fanon portrays her just as her official profile says — as The Stoic, although Not So Stoic tends to creep in.
- Bare Your Midriff
- Big Bad: Plays the villainous role in the "Synchronicity" series, although it's later implied that the REAL villain is the dragon.
- Bilingual Bonus: Luka is the first Vocaloid to support phonemes for more than one language (Japanese and English). As of her V 4 X update, she has two English voicebanks- Straight and Soft.
- Cool Big Sis: Some interpretations feature her as this.
- Detached Sleeve: On her right arm.
- Determinator: In Double Lariat.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: It depends on who's drawing her, but a lot of the time she only has one forearm sleeve.
- She is depicted this way in the Vocaloid game, Project DIVA, along with in Hatsune Mix, the manga drawn by Luka's designer, KEI.
- According to KEI, she was specifically drawn asymmetrical to reflect the fact she is bilingual.
- Jiggle Physics: In her cover of Levan Polkanote .
- Meaningful Name: 'Megurine' means 'revolving sound', referencing her bilingual capabilities.
- Ms. Fanservice
- Only Sane Man: Again, just a common interpretation to Meiko's drunken Hard-Drinking Party Girl, Kaito's ditzy Pollyanna, Miku's Cloudcuckoolander, etc. it seems she's the most calm-headed of them.
- Rapunzel Hair
- Reality Warper: In this PV of Alice in Musicland, wherein she's shown to teleport, turn invisible and even replace Miku's reflection in the water with her own. Justified partly because she's playing the Cheshire Cat and partly because it's All Just a Dream. Or is it?
- Smug Snake: In the "Synchronicity" trilogy. Just look at her face!◊
- Surprisingly Good English: Much More often than you'd think.
- Team Mom: When Meiko isn't playing this role, it's usually Luka.
- The Stoic: Most of the time as her official profile states.
- Not So Stoic: In certain situations.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Tuna.
- Tsundere: Extreme A-type in "Go Google It". Hell, the song's even nicknamed "Gugudere"!
- Updated Re-release: Recieved not a Vocaloid3 update, unlike Kaito, Meiko, and Miku, but a Vocaloid4 update titled "Megurine Luka V 4 X". This update is notable in that it contains the brand-new EVEC system developed by Crypton to provide greater expression for their Vocaloids, as well as two different English vocals- Straight and Soft.
- Villain with Good Publicity: In "The Tailor of Enbizaka" and the "Synchronicity" series. For bonus points on the latter, she turns everyone against the heroes, boosting her publicity even further.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: According to the handy manual, her character in the "Synchronicity" trilogy wants the human sacrifices to continue because she knows the dragon will go on a murderous rampage if they don't. Not the best plan, but she had the kingdom's best interests at heart.
- Whip It Good: One of her character items is a whip.
- Yandere: Just as common as the Tsundere interpretation, almost on par with how often Miku plays the role. Most notable are The Tailor Shop On Enbizaka and RIP=RELEASE.
- Love Disease. (Warning: The image is Nightmare Fuel for some).
- Victoria's Secret Compartment: Hides a fork in her bra in the PV for "Go Google It" — which she uses to stab Gakupo in the hand.
- Zettai Ryouiki: A sort of variation—her stockings do go past her skirt, but you can see it anyway because there is a slit in it.
Internet Co. Ltd.
Kamui Gakupo/GackpoidnoteThe fifth Japanese Vocaloid and the first to be distributed by Internet Co., Ltd. rather than Crypton. His outfit is based on that of a samurai. He was designed by Kentaro Miura (the creator of Berserk) and is voiced by Gackt. Yes, that Gackt.Fanon has often portrayed him as somewhat goofy.
- Ahoge: a fairly noticeable one (look at the picture). Which fits the fanon goofy/airhead personality very well.
- Author Avatar: A variation; Gakupo is said to be "an extension of Gackt's persona".
- Blade Below the Shoulder: In the Synchronicity series, before Miku destroys it.
- The Casanova / Casanova Wannabe: Tends to be one or the other in fanon.
- Dogged Nice Guy: In "Go Google It".
- Everything's Better with Eggplants: See Trademark Favorite Food.
- Everything's Better with Samurai
- Face Death with Dignity: His cover of "Disappearance of Hatsune Miku" seems to invoke this trope, as it's set to a slower, more calm tune (though still somewhat melancholy). Perhaps it's a samurai thing.
- Handsome Lech: Often portrated in fanart as a stalker to the other Vocaloids.
- Harem Seeker: in Madness of Duke Venomania
- Katanas Are Just Better: According to the official profile, this katana actually serves some musical function.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy
- Mr. Fanservice: He's based off of Gackt, OF COURSE he's Mr. Fanservice.
- Serious Business: In Dancing Samurai, he believes that anyone who doesn't know how to dance should just die. Ouch.
- Surprisingly Good English:
- Most of ROY-P's songs featuring Gakupo has him speaking Engrish (mostly for the choruses) at worst , but then you have "Pain of the Sins" a full-fledged, honest-to-God English song made using his Japanese voicebank.
- Although his English Voicebank is not yet out, it's not uncommon for Vocaloid users to make Gakupo sing in English. Take a look at these.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Eggplant.
- Updated Re-release: His Vocaloid 3 version, which updated his original voice as Native and gave him extra Power and Whisper voicebanks.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: Literally in "Near Future City". He's hooked up to one of the machines that apparently contributed to instigating the apocalypse.
- You Gotta Have Purple Hair
Gumi/MegpoidnoteThe seventh Japanese Vocaloid and released by Internet Co., Ltd., Gumi had a design heavily based off Ranka Lee due to the fact that her voicer, Megumi Nakajima, was Ranka's voice actress.Notably, she is sometimes given a Fanon personality more grounded in normality – a Plucky Girl, consequently not quite reaching into Genki Girl.In the vein of Crypton Vocaloids' Appends, she also gets a voicebank update to be released in Vocaloid3 engine, which was named "Megpoid Extend", but is now officially "Vocaloid3 Megpoid" a notable acknowledge to her product name.A new English voicebank was developed with several demos shown, and was eventually released on February 28, 2013, available at the English Vocaloid Store
- Annoying Younger Sibling: Fanon portrayal; to Gakupo, whom she considers her "older brother".
- Bare Your Midriff: A variation in her standard costume, her shirt is very transparent for her navel to be visible. Played straight in her Vocaloid3 costumes. Subverted in her latest design following the release of her new English voicebank.
- Be Yourself: The Aesop she learns in Ten Faced.
- Bilingual Bonus: Her English Voicebank, though subverted in a way as it is sold separately from her other (Japanese) voicebanks.
- Bokukko: Just like the above Luka.
- Cloudcuckoolander: In Fanon.
- Composite Character: In "Music Wizard of Oz", she plays the titular wizard, who comes off as a cross between the Wizard of Oz and Glinda the Good Witch.
- Did Not Get the Guy: An alarming number of her most popular songs have her romantic relationships just not working out. They usually end in a bittersweet way at best or tragically at worst.
- Goggles Do Nothing: Well...unless they're like Gakupo's katana.
- Guest Fighter: As part of her 5th anniversary celebration, she is part of a major BEMANI crossover event, and is an opponent character in Popn Music, although she is not playable.
- Hotter and Sexier: See Underboobs below. And especially her whisper◊,adult◊, and english◊ versions.
- Jack-of-All-Trades: Her various new Vocaloid 3 voicebanks, which can be purchased as a bundle (except her "Native" voicebank, see below), give her quite a bit of versatility.
- Louis Cypher: In mothy's works, her largest role is as The Master of the Hellish Yard.
- Love Hurts: A constant victim of this in her songs as of late.
- Meganekko: sometimes in Fanon portrayal, it's more likely a representation of her goggles.
- Nonstandard Character Design: Just as Gakupo's design was done by a famous mangaka, GUMI got this treatment as well — hers was done by Masami Yuuki, the creator of Birdy the Mighty.
- Opera Gloves: On her English voicebank design.
- Split Personality: because Love Hurts and makes you crazy in the song "Ten Faced"..
- Also in "A Fake, Fake, Psychotropic"
- Surprisingly Good English: Her English voicebank can produce this when it's put to good use. The earliest example of this is her second English Voicebank Demo, cover of Cindy Lauper's Time After Time.
- Also made obvious in the original Engish song ECHO, which is understandable even without subtitles.
- Tomboyish Sidetails
- Took a Level in Badass: Our 16bit Warz
- Also, "Mozaik Role".
- Heck, her cameo in Judgement of Corruption tops all of these; She's pretty much SATAN!
- Also, "Mozaik Role".
- Trademark Favorite Food: Carrots. Surely there's an Aesop hidden this fact somewhere... This is because she wears orange clothes and has green hair... Right?
- Updated Re-release: Her Vocaloid 3 "Native" voicebank, which is basically a Vocaloid 3 version of her original Vocaloid 2 voicebank (which is now out of print).
- Underboobs: What her Vocaloid3 attires are most notable of. No, really.
- Yandere: "Sweet Shackles". It's like Gumi is channeling Yuno Gasai.
- Zettai Ryouiki: In her Vocaloid3 attires, with Thigh-High Boots. Grade B.
- Her new design for her English voicebank has her in stockings. Grade A.
LilyLily is the eleventh Japanese Vocaloid and is distributed by Internet Co., Ltd. (Note that she was not actually done by Internet; she was made by Avex Co.) Lily's design was actually utilized pre-Vocaloidification as an anime image for Masuda Yuri, vocalist of band m.o.v.e., who provided her voice bank. Coincidentally, said design happened to be by KEI, designer of the Crypton Character Vocal Series Vocaloids.Fanon has often portrayed her as a punk girl with an "outgoing" personality.She was advertised with an animated movie, "Schwarzgazer", depicting her and her companion "Mosh" as secretly fighting a mysterious dark "virus" force that they must combat with their music. Failure to produce music results in weakness, which almost deletes Lily and Mosh before a nearby music producer, Yakuto, saves them by supplying them with music. So does that make Lily a sort of undercover superhero?
- Animal Motif: Bees.
- Bare Your Midriff
- Biker Babe: In "Schwarzgazer". Notable because she's the one who ride the bike, not her overly-muscular, broad-shouldered partner Mosh.
- Impossibly Cool Clothes
- Meaningful Name: Lily is the English translation of "Yuri".
- Rapunzel Hair
- Tattooed Crook: To emphasis her 'punk girl' imagery, she has some on her left wrist and her lower back that extends to both side of her waist. Fan artists tend to miss this one feature of hers because her clothes (if you can call those clothes) are often cover them.
- Tsundere / Jerk with a Heart of Gold: General consensus is that Lily is a kind of person who can be cold and openly bad-mouthing someone's attributes but also compassionate and sensitive of other's plight, especially if it's involving the Internet Co.'s Vocaloids.
- Updated Re-release: V3 out already.
- Yandere: One of her first major hits, "Chloe", is a yandere song. Here comes yet another one, folks.
Based off the Japanese franchise character Gachapin, Gachapoid is distributed by Internet Co. Ltd. as the thirteenth Japanese Vocaloid. He is designed to appeal to young producers.
- Curtains Match the Window
- Moe Anthropomorphism: He gets his own "human version".
- Ridiculously Cute Critter
- Token Mini-Moe: Among the Internet Co's published Vocaloids.
CULAnother Vocaloid using the Vocaloid 3 engine, she was an avatar of VY1 (see its section above). As the Mascot of VOCALO Revolution, she was designed to help promote the growing Vocaloid culture, aiming to raise awareness and the acceptance of this culture. That's before Internet Co. Ltd, on June 8, 2011, adopted her design to become a new Vocaloid.She was released on 21st December 2011, along with Oliver. She's voiced by Eri Kitamura.
- Badass Longcoat
- Fiery Redhead: Fanon often portrayed her that way.
- Hotter and Sexier: The only explanation for why she feels to wear a garterbelt over some very short shorts to hold up her stockings in her redesign. Her low-cut, cropped halter top also adds to this. For some reason she also has a Badass Longcoat though.
- Lady in Red: Before her redesign.
- Meaningful Name: Her name CUL is from the word "Culture". As stated above, she was used to help promote the growing Vocaloid culture.
- Of Corsets Sexy
- Red Eyes, Take Warning
- Spear Counterpart: REV, another VOCALO Revolution mascot which was an avatar for VY2 (see its section above).
- Unfortunate Name: CUL, as noted by many fans, means "ass" in French.
- Who Wears Short Shorts?: Her redesign.
- Zettai Ryouiki
GalacoGalaco is a limited voicebank offered exclusively in the Vocaloid Shop competition. She was first introduced in the PV of galaxias! of the band of the same name, and voiced by Kou Shibasaki. So far, a demo has been released.
- Cool Crown
- Early-Bird Cameo: In a similar way to Tone Rion below, she first made appearances in merchandises in Vocaloid Store, but censored.
- Facial Markings: She has one triangle underneath each eye.
- Hime Cut
- Multicolored Hair: Along with the blond and brunette long hair, she has multicolored bangs as well.
- Rapunzel Hair
- Star-Spangled Spandex: Her skirt, boots and tanktop has a galaxy-like motif.
- Surprisingly Good English: Here
KokoneA vocaloid by Internet Co, released on February 14, 2014. Here is one of her demos.
i-Style Project collab Studio DEEN and Sufer's Paradise
Aoki LapisAnother vocaloid using the Vocaloid 3 engine, released on April 6, 2012. Her style of music is known as "lifestyle", and that she will be targeted towards casual Vocaloid users. The project leaders, comprising of the Surfer's Paradise search engine, the anime studio Studio DEEN, and Nico Nico Douga, sent out a call for NicoNico users to "audition" by submitting a song they believed would suit Lapis, with a chance to become her actual voice. The role of her seiyuu was eventually awarded to an Utatte-mita singernote named Eguchi Nako.She has at least two demos so far, which can be viewed here and here. Since her commercial release she's had an explosion of cover songs, most of them quite well made.
- Fun Size: Word of God states that she's 15 centimeters tall.
- Hair Decorations: She sports a HUGE gem on her head.
- Identity Amnesia: She has no memory of who she is, according to Word of God.
- Innocent Blue Eyes
- Invisible to Normals: She's said to only be visible to a subset of human population.
- Magical Girl: Her apparent concept, complete with Transformation Sequence.
- Magic Music: Her singing can give life to others.
- Meaningful Name: Lapis comes from the jewel Lapis Lazuli. Also, "Aoki" means "blue princess". Guess what her primary color is.
- Our Fairies Are Different: As noted in I-style's official site, she's one of the faeries, a special race who can convert songs into power.
- Sailor Fuku
- Short Hair with Tail: Or rather, two tails.
- Tomboyish Sidetails
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
- Zettai Ryouiki: Again, with Thigh-High Boots.
MerliAn upcoming second Studio Deen Vocaloid, her voice will be determined by a contest in the future just like Lapis before her. Merli has been described as Lapis's Darker and Edgier sister, which really shows. She's strong-minded and tsundere; she's a charming mysterious girl, who is innocent and changing the facial expression all the time. She's basically naive, but so innocent that she usually pretends to know everything ad hoc. A demo of her voicebank can be heard here. She was revealed to be voiced by Misaki Kamata, who was awarded the role for her voice in the same way Aoki Lapis' voice provider was chosen.
- Aloof Darkhaired Girl: Her personality is just as dark as her hair.
- Ambiguously Brown: The first Japanese Vocaloid to be so.
- Animal Motifs: Butterflies
- Bare Your Midriff
- Darker and Edgier: Not only visually, as she's said to have a devilish personality.
- Detached Sleeves
- Evil Counterpart: Of Lapis above.
- Fun Size: She's only a centimeter taller than Lapis.
- Hair Decorations
- Innocent Blue Eyes
- Meaningful Name: Her name is taken from Merlinite, a stone known for its dual light and dark appearance.
- Of Corsets Sexy
- Our Fairies Are Different
- Rapunzel Hair
- Vampiric Draining/Brown Note: While Lapis' power of song gives life, Merli's draws energy from living things.
- Who Wears Short Shorts?
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Purple hair with blue streaks, to be exact.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Yet again with Thigh-High Boots.
Hibiki Lui / Ring Suzune01R Ring Suzune and 01L Lui Hibiki were announced the ending of May 2011. They are the result of a contest called "Everyone's Vocaloid project", which was sponsored by Yamaha. The contest called for fans to create an original Vocaloid character for the upcoming Vocaloid3 engine (as it was later revealed).Upon presenting the winning characters, they went through an unexpected makeover. Upon seeing how drastically different the official designs were to the original artist renders, the fandom reaction was a mix of disappointment and occasional approvals.The original names of the characters were Suzunone Ringu and Lui.They're now managed by Vocanext.
- Ambiguous Gender: Lui, combine that with visibly curly lashes and high cut shorts. In addition to the profile description "Easily mistaken for a girl because of his graceful manners...", and you're all set.
- Bishounen: Lui's original appearance was actually pretty boy with a touch of youthful masculinity... despite the plucky bow.
- Detached Sleeves: Ring sports these.
- Hair Decorations: Lui, a boy, wears them.
- Meaningful Name: Take into account that Ring's original design had a theme that consisted of rings, in particular the ones that use to hover around her ankles. When it comes to translating her original last name, "Bell Sound, Ring".
- Similar to the Kagamines, Ring and Lui's official title names stand for "Right and Left".
- Nice Shoes: Lui's official design, transparent boots with a silver heel.
- Rapunzel Hair: Ring (as well as her original design) is usually depicted with hair to her ankles.
- Who Wears Short Shorts?: Lui wears short shorts!
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Ring's new hair color officially. As Suzunone Ringu she had white hair.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Ring, in both incarnations.
- As Suzunone it was her boots that gave this effect.
Other Japanese producers
Note: All Japanese names are in Japanese order (surname-given name), as this is their formal product name arrangement. For consistency, the names of the providers of the voice banks are in the same format.
MayuThe first Vocaloid devloped by Exit Tunes, Mayu is a Yandere influenced Vocaloid.
- An Axe to Grind
- Elegant Gothic Lolita
- Girls Love Stuffed Animals: The rabbit's name is Usano Mimi.
- Multicolored Hair: Blond, with rainbow tint.
- Rapunzel Hair
Utatane PikoReleased by Ki/oon, a subsidary of Sony (yes, that Sony), as the fifteenth Japanese Vocaloid and the first one by Sony. The voicebank was recorded by the Nico Nico Douga singer Piko, hence the name - this makes Piko somewhat of a Promoted Fanboy. The design is based on an electric guitar (complete with a power cord).The voice data is male but has a feminine voice; however, gender factors can easily set to make it more masculine.
- Ambiguous Gender: Piko's voice can be either masculine or feminine.
- Covert Pervert: A popular fanon portrayal.
- Detached Sleeves
- Idiot Hair / Ahoge: Styled after a music note.
- Or the letter P.
- He often gets paired up with Miki because of this.
- Meaningful Name: "Utatane" means "sound of singer". His voice actor is Piko, an actual singer.
- Ridiculously Human Robots: Downplayed - he looks more robotic than most other designs, looking from his unusual headphones, his eyes, and especially his USB tail.
- Trickster Archetype: In fanon, when he's not a...
Akikoloid-chanYet another new Vocaloid, she is the mascot of Lawson, Inc. Unlike other vocaloids, she is not intended for public sale, and is only used for private commercial purposes by Lawson.
Tone RionA Vocaloid for the third engine. Her brief backstory states that she is 16 years old and was born in 2095, she is good at singing and dancing. Rion preforms on the "Dear Stage" (ディアステージ) located in future Akihabara set 100 years from the current. She has her own website and had eight demo songs (example here) before her release on 16 December 2011. She's designed by a famous character designer Akio Watanabe.
- Blush Sticker: Can't miss em'.
- Cute Little Fangs: Practically a signature of Akio Watanabe characters.
- Early-Bird Cameo: Her existence had been hinted in the Vonama NicoVideo◊ before she's officially revealed to the public.
- Fingerless Gloves: Rule of Cute
- Giant Waist Ribbon: It stands stiff, all mecha-like.
- Hair Decorations: She has (what appears to be) a little sea angel barrette.
- Kid from the Future
- Meido: Stylized after one.
- Nice Hat
- Pointless Band-Aid: Again, a signature item of many Akio Watanabe characters.
- Wingding Eyes: Purple heart-shaped reflections in her irises.
- Zettai Ryouiki
IAThe first Vocaloid produced by 1st Place, IA is voiced by singer Lia. She is described on her official site as IA -ARIA ON THE PLANETES- and was released on January 27th, 2012. Her demo song was a cover of Lia's Tori no Uta.
- Breakout Character: Is one of the most popular of the V3s, often featured in group pictures with the most famous Vocaloids.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Her basic personality is that of a dreamer, and she is often portrayed in fan art and PVs with a distant look on her face. Her songs sometimes give this impression.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: Her legwear.
- Heroic Albino: Fans often interpret Ia this way; her hair is cream colored and her skin is even lighter, her eyes are light blue, and her biggest song, Imagination Forest, has an alternate version of her with red eyes and powers living alone, afraid to make friends but genuinely good hearted. Her fandom portrayals vary from a quiet daydreamer girl to a highly intelligent but shy young woman who wants to break out of her shell. This is in sharp contrast to Sukone Tei and Mayu, who fans also consider albino but who have negative portrayals in the fandom. (Keep in mind there is no canon for Vocaloids.)
- I Just Want to Have Friends: Wants to form friendships with everyone. Also used and Played for Drama in Imagination Forest, with a Cute Monster Girl closely resembling IA who isolates herself from the outside world because of her ability to make others be Taken for Granite.
- Mad Dreamer: She is usually interpreted as a more serene version of this trope, but it still fits.
- Naïve Newcomer: Another fanon interpretation of her, given that she is a relatively new Vocaloid and is strong, honest, and optimistic.
- Plucky Girl
- Rapunzel Hair
- Wide-Eyed Idealist: Also apart of her given personality is that she wants to get along and be friends with everyone.
- Zettai Ryouiki: On her right leg only.
Kobayushi MatchaPart of multimedia project called Project 575 by Sega, which uses a lighter version of Vocaloid 2. Matcha is the calmer, but more introverted of the two.
Masaoka AzukiThe other character part of Project 575. Azuki is the more cheerful one, but is rather impatient and often acts before thinking.
Macne NanaThe very first voicebank to have previously been an UTAUloid! She was first part of the Macne Series, made because before Vocaloid Neo, Vocaloid was not compatible with Mac.
- Canon Immigrant: She was an UTAUloid.
RanaThe 37th Vocaloid released for the VOCALOID 3 engine in collaboration with We've Inc. and Internet Co Ltd.. Her debut was in Vocalo-P ni Naritai! ("I want to become a Vocaloid producer!"), a how-to magazine showing novice users how to use Vocaloid software and create videos for their songs. Her voice is described as "tomboyish and ready to rock". Her voice is provided by Ai Kakuma.
- Animal Motifs: Rana's hoodie is bear-shaped, and when she puts the hood on, the lights on her head resemble bear ears. Her logo also comes in the shape of a bear.
- Copy Protection: For now, the only way one can use her is by collecting all the tickets found in the Vocalo-P ni Naritai! magazines.
- Everything's Better with Rainbows: Has rainbows on her hoodie and the lights on her head. According to the creator, they're supposed so symbolize her users' creative freedom with her, so they may "color her with the color that best represents you".
- Robot Buddy: Three of them: Morio Shishou (a panda), Jasmine Kenkyuuin (a puppy), and Sakiko (a bird).
- Rose-Haired Sweetie: Certainly has the looks of one.
- Sailor Fuku: One promotional image had Rana dress up in a Fujimura high school uniform.
- Significant Birth Date: Shares the same birthday as her voice provider.
- Stealth Pun: Rana's bear motif might be due to her voice provider's name being Ai Kakuma.
- Younger Than They Look: Her official age is stated as 0.
The Chinese VOCALOIDs
Shanghai He Nian
Shanghai He Nian - Vocaloid China
Mo Qingxian, Zhiyu Moke, Luo Tianyi, Yuezheng Ling, Yuezheng LongyaThe winning entries of the "Vocaloid China project".Note: There is only one confirmed Vocaloid presented, Luo Tianyi, who was the top winning entry for the project. The other four are in a unknown status, however, they are a part of the project. Luo Tianyi was released on July 12, 2012 which much fanfare, including a few OVA-like videos as a means of publicity.
- Accidental Kiss: Or at least, something that looks like it, in one of Tianyi's demos, involving her with Ling.
- Alien Among Us: Tianyi's official profile states that she was summoned to earth with an important mission, and arrived in the guise of a Vocaloid.
- Aloof Darkhaired Girl: Qingxian, her official profile states that she is quite popular; cool, stable, and good-looking. She's so mysterious that some people fear her.
- Ambiguous Gender: Moke, his official profile states that he is often mistaken for a girl. And though he dislikes it, it is rumored he once cosplayed as a girl during a cosplay convention.
- Bare Your Midriff: Qingxian
- Beauty Mark: Ling, located on the right side, below her bottom lip
- Big Brother Instinct: Longya's official profile states that he has a bit of a sister complex.
- Child Prodigy: Moke, with an IQ of 168
- Colour Coded Characters
- Mo Qingxian - Yellow
- Zhiyu Moke - White
- Luo Tianyi - Blue
- Yuezheng Ling - Red
- Yuezheng Longya - Green
- Detached Sleeves: Longya and formerly Qingxian.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: Tianyi and Ling's single thighhigh. Though all of them have a degree of asymmetry with their apparel.
- Fingerless Gloves: Moke and Ling
- Tianyi's previous design had this.
- Genki Girl: Ling's official profile states she is active and full of life. She likes to experience new things and even out competes the boys.
- Green Eyes: Tianyi (formerly golden brown) and Longya
- Hair Decorations
- Flower in Her Hair: Qingxian and Tianyi (official design)
- Idiot Hair: Ling
- Ill Girl: Qingxian was born with 'bad health' that made her quite slow in reaction.
- Meaningful Rename: Their original names to a degree, while their renames stand out more.
- Luo Tianyi - "Luo" last name of the goddess of music, Luoshen. "Tian" means Tianlai, the sound of nature (to describe a beautiful voice), "Yi" is short for "Yiren" that means fair lady in ancient Chinese.
- Multicolored Hair: Longya
- Nice Hat: Moke (his previous design does not have one)
- Non-Human Sidekick: Tian Dian, the small creature who accompanies Tianyi. Described as a fairy of music, she's said to be 10 years old.
- Otaku: Moke, surprisingly. Who is skilled at making MADs (animated music videos)
- Purple Eyes: Qingxian
- Red Eyes: Ling (formerly black)
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Ling and Tianyi, which caught on with the fandom during their 'development stage'. The duo is known as "Nanbei zu".
- Their official updated personalities show Ling being active and lively, while Tianyi is sensitive and quiet.
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin: Moke
- Rapunzel Hair: Qingxian, Ling, and Longya
- Short Hair with Tail: Longya
- Shrinking Violet: Moke is said to not talk much, and is a quiet boy. He smiles at everyone, but can be frank. And he has a dislike of being alone, though he does have close friends who know he's an Otaku.
- Starfish Language: Tianyi knows nothing about human language, so she can only sing to express her feelings.
- The Empath: Tianyi can feel and read the hidden songs in a human mind. She can also turn the repeating thoughts of a person, into a song.
- The Fashionista: Qingxian, her outfits are described as fashionable.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Ling and Tianyi
- Tomboyish Sidetails: Ling
- Trademark Favorite Food: Yayin's (presently Tianyi) favorite food is haw apple, and Tanghulu made by haw apple.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: Qingxian (even though she's, well, Chinese), her behavior is regarded as being a 'traditional lady'. She likes ancient books, poems, understand Tao, and likes traditional Chinese instruments. She is also generous and kind towards others.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Ling and Tianyi... at least with one leg each.
Yan HeThe second Chinese Vocaloid, released on July 11, 2013. Her design was chosen from a character design contest like Tianyi before her. Her design is quite sporty, influencing some Fanon portrayals.
The English VOCALOIDs
Sweet AnnThe fourth English Vocaloid, the first Vocaloid released by PowerFX, and the first Vocaloid released for the Vocaloid2 enginenote , Sweet Ann is voiced by an Australian singer under the stage name of "Jody".Fanon often portrays her as an elegant woman. In some media she is made fun of for the stitches on her neck (PowerFX is fond of making "monster" Vocaloids), the background of her boxart resembling "Satanic flames" and the fact that the lighting on her boxart makes her look like she's got a bad fake tan.
- Dark-Skinned Blonde: And often depicted with Regal Ringlets.
- Berserk Button/Mama Bear: According to Oliver's Twitter account, she doesn't take kindly to Oliver getting hurt.
- Nice Hat: A nice, white cowboy hat in her E-capsule design.
- Older Than They Look: The Madness of Duke Venomania PV says she's 62. Canonically (at least in the Taiwan version), she's 23.
- Phenotype Stereotype: Even in Taiwan, Sweet Ann can not escape being portrayed as a blond-haired blue eyed American cowgirl by some means. This continues despite the fact that her origins are Swedish.
- Punny Name: Sweet Ann = Sweden.
- Steam Punk: E-capsule Sweet Ann gives off this impression to viewers.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Chicken drumstick.
Big AlSince Big-Al was announced years before his actual release due to complications with recording the voice bank, for a while he was the Duke Nukem Forever of the Vocaloid community. However, he was eventually released with a voice bank provided by PowerFX staff Frank Sanderson and a more Animesque design (his original artwork, done in the style of Sweet Ann's, was often regarded as Nightmare Fuel) as the seventh English Vocaloid.Fanon has often portrayed him as a goofy Man Child.
- Anime Hair: Particularly his third boxart design (E-capsule), which is of the Spiky Hair variety.
- Badass Longcoat: In his Taiwanese designs.
- Everything's Better with Penguins: A minor meme at most, but he seems to have a good relationship with antarctic animals.
- Iconic Item: A pocket watch, apparently as a reference of him being "late"note .
- Man Child: Let's see. Two of his songs focus on childhood, one of them is an acid trip that could be easily shrugged off as a chid playing pretend, and several are about things that he has a childlike obsession towards. It seems people like this.
- Megane: E-capsule Big Al sports a pair of white glasses.
- Rated M for Manly: His original voice is ridiculously deep and rumbly. The fandom had been aching for a deep-voiced male vocaloid for ages, so they latched this trope onto him and never let it go.
- His final voice isn't quite as deep, but is still much deeper than the other male vocaloids.
- Hell, just listen to THIS! Manly to the MAX!
- Sinister Scythe: E-capsule Big Al has one.
OliverAnnounced on October 15, 2011. Oliver is the name of the PowerFX's new Vocaloid3, made in collaboration with the new American Vocaloid company VocaTone, which notably consists of passionate Vocaloid fans.Early fan supporters couldn't be deterred from making art based on him, even before any details of his design were revealed. VocaTone did release a silhouette of him◊ ahead of time, which helped considerably.On November 12, 2011, three demos and his official artwork were released. Additional demos continued to appear until Oliver made his actual debut on December 21, 2011.He provides the voice of Puppycat in Webut Bee and Puppycat.
- A Boy And His Bird: He's often depicted this way the the bird featured on the boxart, James. James' popularity was so great that VocaTone took advantage of it, in ways including but not limited to: 1) an official demo song of Oliver, "Dinky Dink", where James is shown wearing Cool Shades; 2) Oliver's official Twitter account claims to actually be administered by James, with Oliver dictating to him what to post; 3) James was hinted to be able to speak; and 4) VocaTone played an April Fool's joke by announcing that James would become a Vocaloid of his own, as Bird-loid.
- Bandage Brat: He has bandages covering his feet and left eye. The artist noted that it's to substitute the stitches in the previous PowerFX characters.
- Bratty Half-Pint: One of the earliest fanon portrayals of Oliver.
- Breakout Character: Not on Miku's level (yet) but so far, he's slowly but surely been rising in the ranks to becoming one of (if not the) the most popular English Vocaloid.
- Cherubic Choir: He can be used to make one.
- Child Soldier: His official design gives off vibes of this. And he has bandages on his legs and left eye... Atlthough it's actually based off the Vienna Boy's Choir
- Cool Pet: James the bird. In tribute to Oliver's co-creators in the U.S., it's an American goldfinch.
- Creepy Child: Some songs like this one portrayed him as such.
- Curtains Match the Window
- The Cutie: Oh God... Just listen to this and try to resist the urge to hug him through the screen.
- Does Not Like Shoes: After releasing a silhouetted version of Oliver, the artist stated that he looked too girly with shoes, so they were scrapped. The "youthful innocence" variant of this trope is a popular interpretation of his character as a result.
- Eyepatch of Power: He has a bandage over his left eye.
- Hotterand Sexier: When he's drawn in his older teenage years.
- Nice Hat
YOHIOloidA male Vocaloid released on September 10, 2013. He is voiced by Swedish Visual Kei artist, YOHIO. Despite his Swedish origins, he has English and Japanese voicebanks. Beta of his Japanese bank can be found here, and a couple of his English demos are here and here. His design was determined by a contest, chosen by YOHIO himself.
- A Boy and His X: More precisely, A Vocaloid and His Companion Cube.
- Badass Longcoat
- Bishōnen: Well he is based off of Yohio. Humorously enough, he's actually more masculine looking than his namesake (a picture for reference◊).
- Companion Cube: Cubi, a black cubical object that floats around him. Stated to be his pet and music player.
- Determinator: His past self shown shades of this in the song NeapolitaN. His current self Double Subverts this, as he was shown to be pessimistic at first, before finally standing up after seeing the reflection of his past self.
- Hair of Gold
- No Name Given: According to VocaTone's Tumbir, his character does not have a given name.
- Omniglot: He can speak in English and Japanese.
LeonThe first Vocaloid (alongside Lola) - ever - and the first male English Vocaloid. He was released by Zero-G and runs under the original Vocaloid engine.Fanon sometimes portrays him as a Butt Monkey.Due to the obsolescence of the Vocaloid 1 engine, he is due to be retired and pulled out of sales after December 31, 2013.
- Butt Monkey: Half of his tiny fandom tends to abuse him and his image to hell and back. Luckily the other half draws him as an extremely pretty blonde◊, even if he still falls under The Ditz.
- Carpet of Virility - The Japanese fandom often depicts him as a very hairy man◊.
- Demoted to Extra: See Irony.
- Iconic Item: Tulips.
- Irony: He was one of the first ever Vocaloids, and yet he gets the least amount of recognition (and fanart).
- Small Name, Big Ego: When portrayed as his pretty image, he demonstrates traits of this.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Sometimes. See Kaito.
- Vocal Dissonance: His vocal range shows this.
LolaReleased at the same time and by the same company as Leon, Lola is the first female Vocaloid. She also runs under the initial Vocaloid engine.She has the unfortunate distinction of having an extremely low voice, almost masculine. Fanon has sometimes portrayed her as a Genki Girl.Due to the obsolescence of the Vocaloid 1 engine, she is due to be retired and pulled out of sales after December 31, 2013.
- But Not Too Black: Some of her best songs feature a black woman, yet even more of them go for an identical-twin look with Leon's blond persona, and still others portray her as a pale woman with black hair and Purple Eyes. No one can decide which is 'canon'.
- Iconic Item: Apparently, a frying pan. As such she's either depicted as a Lethal Chef or Supreme Chef in fanon.
- She Cleans Up Nicely: Even if she does have a very deep voice, an astonishing number of gems show up if you look for them.
MiriamThe third English Vocaloid and the first to reveal the provider of the voice bank. She is distributed by Zero-G, is voiced by Miriam Stockley, and is the last English Vocaloid to be released under the first engine.Fanon has sometimes portrayed her as The Stoic or a Shrinking Violet.Due to the obsolescence of the Vocaloid 1 engine, she is due to be retired and pulled out of sales after December 31, 2013.
PrimaThe first Vocaloid2-engine Vocaloid by Zero-G and the fifth English Vocaloid, Prima is built almost entirely for opera songs. Thus, she sings with deep vowels and rolls her consonants.Fanon frequently portrays her as a classy, rich woman, although software pirates tend to think of her as a Yandere since she sometimes kills illegal versions of the software.
- Classically Trained Extra: One interpretation, seeing as she was designed to sing opera and is usually used to sing...not Opera.
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette: Based upon her photo boxart.
- Fans also tend to take that image and personify Prima as such.
- Idiot Hair: E-capsule Prima has a stray curl on the side of her head.
- Meaningful Name - From "prima donna," the lady in an opera company who generally got the leading roles.
- Shrinking Violet: E-capsule Prima shyly glances sideways, while her chibi form shows her standing pigeon-toed, tight lipped and blushing.
- Tomboyish Sidetails: E-capsule Prima with long payot and what appears to be a Hime Cut.
- Trademark Favorite Food: a glass of wine.
- Unusual Ears: E-capsule Prima sports a pair of headphones with pointing speaker ears. No one is quite sure if they are Fox ears, Cat ears or Wolf ears. Though the most popular assumption is fox.
- Vocal Dissonance: Much like the popular teenager design spawned from the Japanese fandom, E-capsule Prima was designed to appear as a young female (18 in fact). In the Western fandom such portrayals are criticized as some believe it doesn't fit her voice.
- Yandere: She's portrayed as one by the Western fandom, mainly those who tried to pirate her and the software with a wrong cracking code, making it unusable; they interpreted it as Prima being yandere and taking everybody with her.
SonikaThe sixth English Vocaloid, Sonika is essentially Zero-G's attempt at imitating the Japanese Vocaloids by invoking Animesque. Thus, Sonika was advertised with height/age/weight measurements along with katakana on her arm, and was advertised as being able to "sing any language" (since she's not as restricted to phonetics as other voice banks), and is essentially Zero-G's mascot, even with a full-blown personality and Twitter profile. This... backfired. She was criticized for having terrible pronunciation and being a badly-attempted sleight at marketing. Eventually, people warmed up to her, but she'll Never Live It Down.She has two boxarts, the first being a CGI render and the second being done by an artist on DeviantArt.As such, in Fanon, she is often portrayed as a friendly, cheerful weeaboo.
- Absolute Cleavage: E-capsule Sonika, surprisingly less subtle than her second design.
- Bare Your Midriff: Can't get anymore obvious.
- Hotter and Sexier: Compare her current boxart (pictured above) to her original◊.
- Iconic Item: Depending on who you ask, it's either a ringnote or a pineapple, or a bell note .
- Idiot Hair: After Sonika's original box art included a loose strand of hair, several artists tend to exaggerate this (though still to a realistic degree). This was eventually exaggerated in her second boxart.
- Kaleidoscope Hair: Her green hair is able to change color according to her Twitter messages.
- Master of None: Though her voice is average at best and often unintelligible, she's less restricted by phonetics and syllables than other Vocaloids, making it easier for her to sing in other languages.
- She Cleans Up Nicely: She doesn't have to be The Unintelligible, so long as you know how to use her. So just carry on.
- Trickster Archetype: Yeah, it's there.
- The Unintelligible: Oh so much. Many of her fans find this appealing, though.
- Who Wears Short Shorts?: E-capsule Sonika
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: By default, her hair is green.
TonioTonio was released by Zero-G as the eighth English Vocaloid; while his initial release was delayed and people thought it would go to Big-Al status, Tonio was eventually released after a few months. He is meant to be an opera singer as a partner to Prima.Fanon usually portrays him like Prima: classy and rich.
- Classically Trained Extra: Like Prima, he is not used for opera. Some of his most famous songs are Lady Gaga covers.
- Horned Humanoid: E-capsule Tonio's artwork◊
- Perma Stubble
- Tall, Dark and Handsome: Many fans like the stock image.
- Tuxedo and Martini: Even Sonika claims a martini to be his character item!
AvannaThe first Vocaloid3-engine vocaloid by Zero-G. She is promoted as having a Celtic voice bank. She was first publicized through a demo (cover of Enya's Only Time) which was played during this Vocaloid Producers Panel. Her second demo was a Rose Royce song, "Wishing on a Star".She was released 22nd of December 2012.
- Animesque: Unlike the other Zero-G vocaloids, her sole official design closely follows the anime style of drawing, mainly as a result of Yamaha's insistence (the commissioned artist, EmpathP, originally designed her to be a western style elf; this concept was rejected, but still appears as a sillouette on the boxart behind the official design).
- Innocent Blue Eyes
- Oireland: As a result of Wild Mass Guessing by the English fandom.
- Pointy Ears: She was going to have this, but changed at the last moment.
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin: Like many Irish people.
- Tareme Eyes
- Youthful Freckles
The Spanish VOCALOIDs
Bruno and ClaraThe first pair of Spanish Vocaloids on the Vocaloid3 engine. The old character design by Raimon Benach was used in their first visual demo video "Juntos Tú y Yo". The current design is by artist "Rumple".
- Butt Monkey: Bruno. Some fans jokingly call him a brony (because of his name) plus the fact he wears a fedora.
- Others compare him to Bruno Mars (again, because of his name and fedora).
- Cool Shades: Clara
- Iconic Item: Bruno's hat and Clara's glasses. They're also both seen with microphones.
- Nice Hat: Bruno
- Skunk Stripe: Clara
- Spicy Latina: Depending on the producer, Clara is viewed as being this. While on the other side she is viewed as The Cutie.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome: Bruno
- Who Wears Short Shorts?: Clara
- Zettai Ryouiki: Clara has a variation with her shorts.
MaikaThe second female Spanish Vocaloid on the Vocaloid 3 engine, released on December 15 2013 as a download (her boxed version is yet to be released). Her character design was made by Noriko Hayashi, the winning result of a contest held by Voctro Labs. The voicebank itself was acutally part of a collaboration between Voctro Labs and the Spanish Pop Band La Oreja de Van Gogh, where the Vocaloid was used by the band to listen to their own written lyrics before recording their songs. Supposedly the voicebank was based on the band's current lead singer, Leire Martinez, though this has yet to be confirmed.
- Beauty Mark: The "Play/Pause" symbol under her left eye.
- Multicolored Hair: White at the head, gradually turning red at the tips.
- Princess Curls: Rare variant - her straight hair curls at the tips
- Rapunzel Hair
- Surprisingly Good English: While her voicebank is Spanish, it is versatile enough to sing almost clearly in a few other languages, including English, Italian, and Japanese, without the need for a separate voicebank.
- Zettai Ryouiki
Vocaloids in more languages
SeeUThe first Korean Vocaloid, released by SBS Artech. Character design by manhwa artist Kkuem. Voiced by real-life Korean Idol Singer Kim (also known as Kim Tahi, Dahi, Dahee), who has since debuted in the Korean girl group GLAM (she's the girl riding the bicycle).A leaked early demo can be found here, which was praised for its humanlike realism. It should be noted, though, that Kim Tahi also sings in the background for said demo. Her first official demo, 'RUN', was released 22 September 2011; and was brought her back to the forefront in "Never Let You Go" .
- Cat Girl: No tail in evidence, but her costume includes a pair of cat-ear-shaped speakers mounted on her head, and her standard facial expression is a Cat Smile.
- Exotic Eye Designs: Star-shaped light reflections in her irises.
- Rapunzel Hair
- Trademark Favorite Food: Either a grape seed oilnote or a taiyaki (fish-shaped ice cream-bread).
- Zettai Ryouiki
Ascended Fan Derivatives
Fanmade derivatives of existing Vocaloids, who have gained official recognition as memes from Crypton themselves; two of them, Neru and Haku, made cameos in the spinoff manga and games.
Yowane HakuHaku is a depressed counterpart of Miku, created by those who cannot use Miku properly. She is usually off-key when she sings (although sometimes she produces nice songs), and envies Miku's voice, to the point where she drinks. A lot.
- Bare Your Midriff
- Detached Sleeves
- Drowning My Sorrows: Because she thinks she'll never be as good as Miku.
- The Eeyore: A popular fanon portrayal.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Neru, in fanon.
- Hidden Depths: Despite her concept as not being as good a singer as Miku, she's often portrayed as being good at other things, such as playing musical instruments (especially the guitar).
- Jiggle Physics: Her model in Miku Miku Dance is the first officially released one that does this.
- Ms. Fanservice
- Meaningful Name: Her name means "weak willed words".
- Morality Pet: To Neru and Dell in fanon.
- Rapunzel Hair
- Tareme Eyes
- Technicolor Eyes: Red eyes.
- Those Two Guys: In fanon she and Neru are portrayed as this.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: With Neru in Dark Woods Circus, in which she's the "tomboy" (she's seen wearing a blue suit and top hat). In fanon, however, it's usually the other way around.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Sake, just like Meiko up there.
- The Voiceless: In Project DIVA, being a fan-created Vocaloid, Haku had no voice. Averted in Project DIVA 2nd, where (like everyone else), she has her own celebration dialogue when completing a song.
- Haku's voice in Project DIVA 2nd seems to be a deeper, more reserved-sounding Miku.
Akita NeruNeru is another counterpart of Miku, made by people who make Miku's pitch too high. It is said she represents those who are too lazy and impatient to use Vocaloid correctly and give up half way through, which is indicated by Neru's Tsundere nature. Her origin can also be explained as a personification of Trolling.Her voice is usually an edit of Miku's, but can also come from Rin's, depending on the editor.
- Companion Cube: Her cell phone.
- Detached Sleeves
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Haku, in fanon.
- Lazy Bum: Often depicted as such. Her origin and name lampshade this.
- Ms. Fanservice
- Meaningful Name: Her name itself is a reference to trolling; "akita, neru" equates to "(Fuck this,) I'm tired, I'm going to bed."
- While it's likely accidental, Neru also shares her last name with the Akita Inu, a dog breed with a reputation of being loyal towards humans, yet aggressive toward other animals.
- Phoneaholic Teenager: Often depicted as one due to her cell phone.
- Rapunzel Hair
- Skirt over Slacks: She wears shorts under her skirt.
- The Voiceless: Like Haku, had no voice in Project DIVA (Due to being an unofficial cameo). Also like Haku, averted in Project DIVA 2nd in the same fashion. All of her celebratory quotes sound displeased, no matter how well the player performs.
- Neru's dialogue in Project DIVA 2nd seems to be a deeper, more womanly-sounding Rin.
- Those Two Guys: With Haku, in Fanon.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: With Haku in Dark Woods Circus, in which she's the "girly girl" (she's seen wearing a long green dress). In fanon, however, it's usually the other way around.
- Troll: Created out of a trolling incident, as can be read on that trope's page.
- Tsurime Eyes: To contrast with Haku.
Hachune MikuA chibified version of Miku, created especially for her Leekspin video and helping to push her (and arguably, Vocaloids as a whole) into the mainstream.
- Ascended Meme - As in literally ascended. 3 figurines of her were launched in a rocket from Black Rock, Nevada.
- Blank White Eyes
- Detached Sleeves
- Perpetual Frowner: She spends most if not all of her time with a shocked, sleepy, or angry expression.
- When She Smiles: In the opening for Project Diva 2nd, she actually smiles for once.
- Zettai Ryouiki
TakoLukaMeaning "Octopus Luka", this is Luka's disembodied head with her hair turned into pink tentacles. She somewhat resembles the yukkuris associated with Touhou, but shouldn't be confused with them.
- Body Horror: One piece of fanart suggests that TakoLuka's eyes are actually anuses. Eww!
- Head Pet: Her Nendoroid figurine is designed to rest on top of a Luka nendo.
- Interspecies Romance: She's sometimes paired up with a tuna named Ooma-sannote , such as in Tako Luka * Tuna Fever.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Although Luka likes tuna, Tako Luka takes it further by dating tuna.
- Waddling Head
Sakine MeikoA teenage counterpart of Meiko made when the popularity of Hatsune Miku left Meiko behind.
- Bare Your Midriff
- Composite Character: Some fans settle confusion between her and normal Meiko by making them the same person (usually with Meiko's fanon personality in Meiko Sakine's body).
- Genki Girl: in fanon.
- Lady in Red
- Lighter and Softer: Sakine Meiko is much cuter, lighter, and softer than MEIKO.
- Other times she and Meiko are depicted as the same person, which, in a roundabout sort of way, makes her into a Darker and Edgier version of Meiko Sakine.
- Magic Skirt: That skirt is just begging for a panty shot.
- Ms. Fanservice: Though more subdued than MEIKO.
- Prequel: "Sakine" means "preceding sound", as in preceding Mikunote . Also, her official setting is "the Meiko who came into music trend in the age of 16".
Calne Ca/CalciumA rather disturbing original character created by Deino, first starring in his PV Machine Muzik. She is sometimes also incorrectly called Karune Ca. Calcium is a mechanized skeleton with a cybernetic red left eye, finger-like appendages in place of a lower jaw, a clawed mechanical right arm, a skeletal left arm, and twisted, mechanical legs. She runs on batteries and requires a robotic companion to occasionally replace them (humorously and disturbingly at once, her batteries are located under her skirt). Calcium is usually seen wearing an outer shell and outfit resembling Miku Hatsune's, and goes by the alias Calne Ca while doing so.She is closely associated with insects and other crawling critters, such as wharf roaches and cockroaches. The world of Calne Ca is full of grotesque and deathly imagery.Calcium also appears in a PV for DJ Technorch's Ataraxia, but with red eyes and more normal-looking robotic limbs as opposed to Calne's wierd appendages. She was recognized by Crypton as a derivative of Miku, and has been featured in some of their events.Calne Ca also stars in Bacterial Contamination with an all new look!
- Absolute Cleavage: When "dressed" as Miku she leaves the vest undone, when she's wearing anything at all.
- Big Creepy-Crawlies: in the Bacterial Contamination PV, the nightmarish Vocaloids trade their mechanical appendages for organic spiny insectile limbs. In the Machine Muzik PV, she's accompanied by a large scorpion-like creature.
- Body Horror: Her legs, mouth, one eye, and an arm are grotesque cybernetic prostheses, and her other arm is disproportionately long, three-fingered, and skeletal.
- Dark Is Not Evil: According to Word of God.
- Dem Bones: The base form of Calne Ca is a mechanized skeleton. The stuff that makes her look even remotely human is additions.
- Associated with her is a skull with a cybernetic eye walking on 4 mechanical legs.
- Hair Decorations: A spiny insect-thing.
- Humanoid Abomination: Her biological insect-like form, for a given definition of "humanoid". Calcium fits the trope even better; she only looks human, but you can tell that there's something...off about her...
- Eldritch Location: Fittingly enough, she lives in one.
- Killer Robot: Even though Deino has insisted that "she is not a brutal character", she definitely has that vibe going.
- Losing Your Head: has been seen at least once with her head detached and walking on the floor on its finger-appendages.
- Ms. Fanservice : Your Mileage May Vary greatly, but some people think her to be attractive in her human form. Not so surprising considering her creator making artworks featuring her in which she has some gloriously fanservicey outfits such as this and this among others ( yes this is calne ca in case you have doubts, she simply is human form in these artworks ). And if you turn off the mature filter you can find more.
- Natural Weapon: Insect Calne Ca's hand-blades that mirror the blades of her robot form.
- Our Clones Are Identical: Those weird faceless mannequins, be they clones or androids.
- She Who Fights Bullies: In Bacterial Contamination. She fights against her bullies so hard, that eventually she becomes one. Her reaction upon realizing this Isn't pretty.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: In Bacterial Contamination, where she's a severe victim of bullying.
- The Worm That Walks: not quite, but she is occasionally seen pretty much swarming with creepy crawlies.
Fan-made Vocaloids, excluding genderbends
See here for a larger, more inclusive list.
- Dojikko : His biggest thing is how clumsy he is. For this reason, his item is a first-aid kit.
- Ill Guy: See above.
- Ill Guy: A more harmless variant. He's described as getting sick often, so he wears his scarf over his mouth.
- Sleepyhead: If the fanart is to be believed, he's definitely this.
- Evil Counterpart: Intended to be this to Miku.
- Darker and Edgier
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette
- Red and Black and Evil All Over
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: She's described as Miku's 'dark side'.
- Knife Nut: She is often seen wielding two large cleavers◊.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning
- Unholy Matrimony: She's considered Taito's lover in some cases.
- The Ace/Always Someone Better: According to Word of God, he is able to do anything Haku can do, but better. Fanon often portrays him as a Broken Ace, though.
- Bigger Is Better in Bed: An occasional joke in the fandom is that since Haku has big breasts and Dell is a male counterpart to her, then he probably has a something "big" of his own...
- Megane: His redesign comes with a set of glasses◊.
- Only Sane Man: Generally depicted as such in fanon.
- Oranyan: In fanfictions, he's usually rather nice to Haku, but a total Jerkass to everyone else, especially the Vocaloids.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Averted...or not, depending on his mood.
- Smoking Is Cool: Fanart sometimes makes his smoking this way, but the original conception of this character is meant to be like Yowane Haku. In other words, his voice doesn't sound as good because he smokes, which could be considered an aversion.
- Workaholic: Fanon depicts him as an insomniac workaholic, to pay off Haku's drinking debts and support them.
Acme IkuThe mascot of Maidloid, a voice synthesizing engine like Vocaloid, but intended to create erotic sounds rather than singing.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: Listen to one—no, any—of her songs. Except for "Chaosmaid".
- The Immodest Orgasm: Her voice was designed to sound ridiculously suggestive; as a result, it's hard to create a song for her that doesn't resemble Donna Summer's background "vocals" in "Love To Love You Baby".
- Meaningful Name: "Akume" is a Japanese slang term for orgasm, and if you've watched any hentai at all you know full well what "Iku" means.
- Ms. Fanservice: She's pretty much designed to be this.
FL-ChanThe mascot of FL Studio, a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) software released by Image-Line Software commonly used by expert Vocaloid producers in the West. FL-Chan was created by Japanese artist Uruido after a comment made by FL Studio programmer Didier Dambrin stated that he wanted a Moe Anthropomorphism of the software. A voicebank was made in UTAU, but its usage requires one to own a copy of FL Studio.
Miscellaneous Fan-Made Characters
- McHatsune, a McDonalds-style Palette Swap of Miku, is used on YouTube a lot.
- In this MikuMikuDance movie, Neru Akita and Haku Yowane did the fusion dance to become a rather popular character named Haru Akine.
- Shiteyan'yo and Larval Rin, "creature" versions of Miku and Rin (similar to Takoluka but purportedly scarier). However, some producers show them to be quite sympathetic.