Western Animation: The Great Grape Ape
The Great Grape Ape is a Saturday Morning Cartoon produced by Hanna-Barbera for ABC as part of The Tom And Jerry Show. The main characters were Grape Ape, a gigantic purple gorilla, and Beegle Beagle, his canine partner.Grape Ape later spun off into a Sunday morning show and competed on Yogi Bear's team in the Laff-A-Lympicsnote and later still cameoed in an episode of Harvey Birdman.
The Great Grape Ape provides examples of:
- Depth Deception: Grape Ape has been known to manipulate the sun and the moon.
- Does Not Know His Own Strength: Grape Ape's strength seems to cause as many problems as it solves.Grape Ape: Sorrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyy. Grape Ape, Grape Ape.
- Funny Animals: Grape Ape and Beegle, naturally.
- Gentle Giant: Grape Ape!
- Half-Dressed Cartoon Animal: Both Grape Ape and Beegle Beagle, and probably more. This is a Hanna-Barbera production, of course.
- The Klutz: Grape Ape
- Lions and Tigers and Humans... Oh, My!: Beegle and Grape Ape are generally the only funny animals on the show. While everyone panics upon seeing a 40ft gorilla, no one bats an eye at a dog driving a van.
- Nice Hat: Grape Ape's giant green cap, and Beegle's red trilby
- Odd Friendship: A 40ft tall gorilla and his talking dog best friend
- Pokémon Speak/Verbal Tic/Third-Person Person: Grape Ape says his own name frequently.
- Phrase Catcher: "YOW! A GORI-LI-LI-LI-LI-LI-LI-LI-LI-LLA!!"
- Running Gag: People freaking out and running away at top speed on seeing Grape Ape.
- Vagabond Buddies: Each episode begins with the two coming into town in/on Beegle's minivan.
- Your Size May Vary: Grape Ape is canonically 40 feet tall, but he'll often appear bigger or smaller depending on the needs of a scene.