Characters: Kamen Rider Dragon Knight
Kamen Rider Dragon Knight / Kamen Rider Onyx
Names: Kit Taylor, Adam
Advent Beast: Dragreder the dragon (Dragranzer in Survive Mode), Dragblacker the dragon
Ryuki Counterpart: Kamen Rider Ryuki, Kamen Rider Ryuga
- In the year since Kit's dad mysteriously vanished, Kit has gained a reputation as a criminal (which he claims is completely undeserved). He appears to have stumbled into the Rider war completely by accident. While he genuinely wants to help out, one of his first priorities is trying to find and help his dad. It turns out his criminal record and his dad's disappearance were set up by Xaviax. After Kit rejected Xaviax's manipulation and joined forces with Wing Knight, Xaviax eventually succeeded in sending Kit to the Advent Void. Xaviax took the Dragon Deck as a prize, but Kit got a replacement deck from Eubulon after being pulled back into the real world and became Kamen Rider Onyx.
- Adam was one of the Ventaran Kamen Riders, but became tired of the job. When one of Xaviax's race approached him and offered to release the Advent Deck's DNA lock, he jumped at the chance, only to realize too late it was Xaviax. Late in the invasion of Earth, Xaviax, running out of options, gave the reclaimed Dragon Deck back to Adam and ordered him to become a Heel Face Mole to the returning Ventaran Riders.
Tropes associated with Kit Taylor/Kamen Rider Dragon Knight/ Kamen Rider Onyx
- Adaptational Heroism: In Kamen Rider Ryuki, Onyx's counterpart Ryuga was the Big Bad of The Movie. In Dragon Knight, Onyx is only evil in Kit's dreams, when Kit finally becomes him, he's still a hero.
- Dark Is Not Evil: As Onyx
- Cool Bike: His 600 Suzuki Katana, which transforms into his Dragon Cycle, the Adventcycle (a generic motorcycle for all the riders), and Dragredder transforms into one.
- Cool Sword: His Sword Vent.
- Disappeared Dad: Kit's main motive at first is to find out what happened to his dad. He later discovers his father was rendered into a vegetative state due to Xaviax's schemes, something the alien general and Strike are fond of using to manipulate him with.
- Dragon Knight
- Evil Costume Switch: Subverted with a vengeance. After a series of nightmares lead him to believe that Onyx is some kind of dark force threatening to possess him, Kit takes up the mantle of Onyx while Adam uses the Dragon Knight armor until the end of the series.
- Oddly enough Len states that all the Riders have those nightmares because it's actually the ADVENT BEAST trying to take over the Rider it's bonded with!!
- The Hero
- Instant Awesome, Just Add Dragons
- Kill It with Fire: His Advent Beast's main mode of attack
- Luckily My Shield Will Protect Me: Guard Vent
- My God, What Have I Done?: His reaction after venting Spear.
- Na´ve Newcomer: But he does get legitimately more badass as time goes on.
- Our Hero Is Dead: Gets vented in episode 31. But the next episode is the one where his friends find the guy who can get people out of the Advent Void.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: "This is for Chris..."
- Superpowered Evil Side: Kit believes Onyx to be this at first. Subverted when the Onyx deck turns out to just be an unfinished prototype deck that's no more evil than his familiar Dragon Knight deck.
- Played partially straight when it's revealed by Len that Onyx is originally a manifestation of Dragreder trying to take control of Kit in his dreams!
Tropes associated with Adam/Kamen Rider Dragon Knight
- Acting for Two: Kit is the only Earthborn Rider to actually meet his Ventaran twin.
- The Atoner
- Dragon Knight
- Evil Twin
- Instant Awesome, Just Add Dragons
- Kill It with Fire
- Love Makes You Evil: He wanted to end his career as a Rider to be with a girl he loved.
- Unwitting Pawn: Falls for Xaviax's lies not once, but TWICE.
Kamen Rider Wing Knight
Advent Beast: Black Wing the bat (Black Raider in Survive Mode)
Ryuki Counterpart: Kamen Rider KnightLast of the Ventaran Kamen Riders and Xaviax's number one target. Tries to keep everyone out of the Rider conflict for fear of someone getting hurt, but accepts Kit's help once he's gotten involved.
Tropes associated with Len/ Kamen Rider Wing Knight
- Bat out of Hell
- Big Brother Mentor: To Kit
- Cool Bike: He has 4, his Kawasaki ZX-14 which transforms into his Wing Cycle, his Adventcycle, and Black Wing turns into one for his survive mode Final Vent.
- Cool Sword: His rapier, which doubles as his card-slot. Also his Sword Vent.
- The Chains of Commanding: Len mentions he wasn't that high on the chain of command with the original Ventaran Riders, now he finds himself leading the resistance against Xaviax on Earth.
- Dark Is Not Evil
- Expy: Admit it, when you saw this guy, you thought "Hey, it's Batman in a knight costume!"
- Or for those aware, "Hey, it's Knight, the British Batman!" (Yes, that's actual DC Comics canon.)
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: Once Kase is vented, Len cuts the crap and goes right for the throat. Strike is practically crapping his pants in fear at that point.
- Supporting Leader
Kamen Rider Incisor
Name: Richie Preston
Advent Beast: Volcancer the crab
Ryuki Counterpart: Kamen Rider ScissorsA wealthy preppie cut off from his family fortune and told to get a job, he's offered a million-dollar paycheck for each defeated Rider.
Tropes associated with Richie Preston/Kamen Rider Incisor
- Bounty Hunter: He's promised a million bucks for each Rider he vanquishes.
- Giant Enemy Crab
- Jerk Ass
- Upper-Class Twit
- Meaningful Name: Richie the rich kid.
- Spoiled Brat
- Starter Villain
- Punch Clock Villain: He doesn't seem to know or care about Xaviax's master plan or the motives of the opposing Kamen Riders, all he wants in the end is his paycheck.
Kamen Rider Torque
Name: Drew Lansing
Advent Beast: Magnugiga the ox
Ryuki Counterpart: Kamen Rider ZoldaA scam artist and one of the few on Xaviax's side to be aware of his true plans, recruited to "convince a group of people to wage an all-out war". Tries to turn the various Riders against each other for his own benefit, with... mixed results.
Tropes associated with Drew Lansing/Kamen Rider Torque
- Alpha Strike: His Final Vent.
- BFG: His deck is loaded with these!
- The Chessmaster: Or at least, he tries to be.
- A Load of Bull
- Power Fist: His Strike Vent
- Small Name, Big Ego: Overestimates his abilities, to say the least.
- Smug Snake
- The Starscream: Unfortunately for him, Xaviax seems to have learned from Megatron's mistakes...
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness
Kamen Rider Camo
Name: Grant Staley
Advent Beast: Biogreeza the chameleon
Ryuki Counterpart: Kamen Rider VerdeBelieves he was hired by a private military contractor, and fights for the opportunity to become "the strongest man on two worlds". While specifically sent after Wing Knight, he tends to pick fights with the other Riders as well, not wanting them to steal his glory.
Tropes associated with Grant Staley/Kamen Rider Camo
- Blood Knight
- Combat Pragmatist: He's not above fighting dirty if it means winning.
- Demoted to Extra: The Ryuki version of Camo was the Big Bad of The Movie and killed Kamen Rider Knight. Here he doesn't even last an episode.
- Scary Black Man
- We Hardly Knew Ye
Kamen Rider Strike
Name: James Trademore (possibly a fake name)
Advent Beast: Venosnaker the cobra (merged with Metalgelas and Evildiver into Cerebeast the chimera)
Ryuki Counterpart: Kamen Rider OhjaA wanted hacker well-known in paranormal blog circles as "JTC". Xaviax broke him out of jail, and he uses his new mirror-warping ability to get at any classified secret he wants. He's used his reputation to feed information to Maya and "help" along her own Kamen Rider investigation (and thereby manipulate Kit). As a Rider, he's Xaviax's right-hand man.
Tropes associated with James Trademore/Kamen Rider Strike
- Badass: The fact that he has the highest body count of all Riders and that he's able to hold his own against veteran Riders Wing Knight and Siren speaks volumes about him.
- Conspiracy Theorist: Was one until Xaviax proved him right.
- The Dragon: To Xaviax's Big Bad.
- Fallen Hero: In Maya and Trent's eyes.
- Fusion Dance: His Unite Vent
- Hero Killer: While Torque was undoubtedly an Asshole Victim and Axe was more of an Alas, Poor Villain at best, Sting and Siren, two of the most unambiguously heroic Riders, are sent to the Void by his hands. Thrust, interestingly enough, was disposed of so he wouldn't become one, making Strike effectively a Pre-Hero Killer
- I Fight for the Strongest Side: Joined Xaviax because he believed Xaviax's forces had the best chance of winning the war. In the video game, his story mode has him perform a Heel-Face Turn because he comes to believe the Riders side is stronger (though the story mode still pits him against the good guys).
- The Quisling: He truly believes resistance against Xaviax's invasion is a lost cause and sided with him out of self-preservation. Maya angrilly tells Trent that since he's proven himself to be one of the strongest Riders, he could have easily turned the tides in the heroes' favor.
- Villains Want Mercy: When Wing Knight goes on a Roaring Rampage of Revenge in Survive Mode on him after he vents Siren, Strike resorts to begging for mercy due to how completely Wing Knight is curbstomping him.
Kamen Rider Thrust
Name: Brad Barrett
Advent Beast: Metalgelas the rhino
Ryuki Counterpart: Kamen Rider GaiA motocross pro that Xaviax had framed and blacklisted for sabotaging another competitor; he is convinced that he must win in "Battle Club" in order to get the proof that will clear him. He's soon set straight, but that changes nothing - Xaviax is still blackmailing him.
Tropes associated with Brad Barrett/Kamen Rider Thrust
- Adaptional Anti-Heroism: Thrust is portrayed with a lot more sympathy than his Ryuki counterpart, Gai.
- Arrogant Motocross Guy
- Badass Biker
- Badass Boast: "Brad Barrett never loses!"
- The Big Guy
- Clear My Name: His ultimate goal
- Fight Clubbing: What he thinks he's doing at first.
- Power Fist: His Strike Vent
- Rhino Rampage
- Sixth Ranger: Subverted. Kit, Len, and Chris all know Brad isn't a bad guy and try desperately to sway him to their cause, but Xaviax orders Strike to terminate him because he feared it was only a matter of time before he defected.
Kamen Rider Sting
Name: Chris Ramirez
Advent Beast: Evildiver the stingray
Ryuki Counterpart: Kamen Rider RaiaWas to be a fifth-generation US Marine until getting a medical discharge for advanced asthma. Still desiring to serve his country, he was recruited by a federal agent to help fight the alien invaders - unaware that he was actually fighting for the aliens. The Knights are able to correct him as to who the bad guys are, but unfortunately, asthma and Toku superheroics don't mix...
Tropes associated with Chris Ramirez/Kamen Rider Sting
- The Heart
- Flying Seafood Special
- Heroic Sacrifice / Tear Jerker: His venting, and Kit and Len's reaction.
- Incurable Cough of Death: A result of his asthma.
- The Load: Chris believes himself to be this, though Len and Maya try to convince him otherwise.
- Military Brat
- Power Copying: His Copy Vent
- Real Men Wear Pink: A Marine no less!
- Semper Fi
- Sixth Ranger: Briefly
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: He wants to do his father proud and carry on his family's military tradition, but his asthma kept that from happening.
- Whip It Good: His Swing Vent.
Kamen Riders Axe and Spear
Names: Danny and Albert Cho
Advent Beasts: Destwilder the tiger and Gigazelle the gazelle, respectively
Ryuki Counterparts: Kamen Riders Tiger and ImpererTwo-bit crooks looking for a big score. Xaviax posed as a crime boss to recruit them for "the biggest heist in the history of Earth". After Albert gets vented, Danny becomes dead-set on avenging him.
Tropes associated with Danny and Albert Cho/Kamen Riders Axe and Spear
- Asshole Victim: Albert for Kit, Danny for James. Worth noting that out of all the Riders he had eliminated by that point, Danny was the only one he had felt guilty about venting.
- Jerk Asses
- Kick the Dog: The brothers are very quick to mock the state of Kit's father and the recently-vented Sting quite viciously. Kit does NOT take this well, as Spear found out the hard way the next episode.
- Irony: Guess who loses a loved one next?
- Sibling Team
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: Axe, after Kit vents his brother
- Both of them do this in their story line of the video game because the other is vented. However, unlike the show, the target is Xaviax.
- Panthera Awesome: Axe
- An Axe to Grind: Do I even need to say it?
- They Call Him Sword
- This Is a Drill: Spear's Spin Vent
- Wolverine Claws: Axe's Strike Vent
- Zerg Rush: Spear's Final Vent
Kamen Rider Siren
Advent Beast: Blancwing the swan
Ryuki Counterpart: Kamen Rider FemmeTo the surprise of everyone, she's another survivor of Ventara. She's not happy with Kit's involvement at first, but she comes around (and Len wasn't much better at the start anyway).
Tropes associated with Kase/Kamen Rider Siren
- Action Girl: Of course.
- Ascended Extra: Her counterpart in Ryuki only appeared in the movie and was killed off rather unceremoniously. Here, she plays a much bigger role.
- Badass Biker
- Badass Cape
- Battle Couple: With Len.
- Biker Babe: And how.
- Cool Sword: Her Weapon of Choice
- Distaff Counterpart: to Wing Knight.
- Sixth Ranger: to Kit and Len
- The Smurfette Principle: Siren is only female Rider out of 12.
- Swans A Swimming
- Take Up My Sword: While Kase is stuck in the Advent Void, Maya temporarily takes the reins as Kamen Rider Siren.
- Woman in Black: When not transformed.
- Woman in White: In rider form.
Kamen Rider Wrath
Name: Vic Frasier
Advent Beast: Goldphoenix the phoenix
Ryuki Counterpart: Kamen Rider OdinA construction worker and one of Xaviax's kidnapping victims, and like the rest was drained of energy and put into a catatonic state. Xaviax can control his body to take part in the fight directly.
Tropes associated with Vic Fraiser/Kamen Rider Wrath
- All There in the Manual: Wrath's real name was never directly said in the series, but is frequently found in official supplementary material.
- Badass Arm-Fold
- Demonic Possession: Xaviax controls Vic's body directly.
- Flat Character: Well, not a whole lot of characterization is available when you're comatose and possessed.
- The Mentor: The original Wrath was this to Len. Xaviax wastes no time toying with him about it.
- The Phoenix
- Teleport Spam
General XaviaxThe Big Bad. Is quietly abducting people one by one, until he can create a genetic database big enough to do mass kidnappings and enslave the human race. Something of a Master of Disguise; while he only has one human form, he's used it to pose as a lawyer, a mercenary, a federal agent, and so on. He's also transformed into Eubulon's human form and even duplicated his Kamen Rider armor, right down to the cards he uses.
- Affably Evil
- Big Bad
- Large Ham: He maybe one of the very reasons why many watches this show.
- Manipulative Bastard: Most of the Riders are only working for him because he played them like fiddles.
- Shape Shifter
Maya YoungAn Intrepid Reporter who writes for a paranormal blog. While investigating the rash of mysterious disappearances and the armored vigilante reports, she briefly is pulled through a mirror, allowing her to see Xaviax's monsters. She teams up with Kit to compare notes and figure out just what's going on. Much later, she temporarily takes Kase's place as Kamen Rider Siren, while Kase is stuck in the Void.
- Conspiracy Theorist
- Intrepid Reporter
- Non-Action Girl: And elects to remain so even after a taste of Action Girl-hood.
Trent MosleyMaya's coworker in the bookstore and the paranormal business. Might or might not have a crush on Maya, which might have contributed to his initial distrust of Kit and the Riders. After getting involved with the Riders, he's given a decision: join the MIBs or go to jail. He chooses the MIBs.
Lacey SheridanMaya's Valley Girlish and spunky best friend. At first tolerant of her friend's apparent conspiracy theories, she becomes increasingly frustrated and concerned as Maya and Trent delve into the Kamen Rider world. She eventually witnesses Riders in person, which unnerves her and leaves her open to manipulation by Michelle, but she ultimately sticks by her friends even though she's still uneasy with all the weirdness.
- Black Best Friend: But Not Too Black given her assorted hairdos.
- Genki Girl: played up in the Japanese dub (but of COURSE!)
- Opt Out: Steps out during the final episodes, having trouble coping and not being able to contribute much.
Michelle WalshOne of the senior reporters for the blog Maya works for. Generally bitchy and condescending to everyone, she often steals credit for stories and tries to undermine Maya when she won't play along. However, we eventually find that this is a cover, and she's actually a government agent for a top-secret paranormal division called the "No Men". After she successfully gets Maya's intel, the No Men start getting involved in the Rider war, ultimately becoming allies. And Michelle starts reining in her bitchiness, too.
- Good Is Not Nice
- Kick the Dog: When Maya won't share what she knows, Michelle goes ahead and steals the data.
- Pet the Dog: She eventually loosens up and apologizes.
- The Men in Black
Ryuki Counterpart: AlternativeThe Advent Master. The only one with the power to reassign Advent Decks and retrieve defeated Riders from the Advent Void (originally intended to be a safe zone for them, not a prison). Was originally Xaviax's top scientist, but had a Heel-Face Turn and developed the Riders for Ventara. When defeated in Ventara, he was accidentally sent to Earth instead of the Void. The government secretly kept him in stasis until he could be awakened.
- Adaptational Heroism: Let's just say that his Ryuki counterpart was not a nice person.
- Big Good
- Heel-Face Turn: In the backstory
- Roswell That Ends Well