Characters in EastEnders
open/close all folders
The Beale Family
Kathy Beale (Gillian Taylforth 1985-2000, 2015-Present)
- The Reveal: Kathy Beale, Ben and Ian's mother, was never killed while she was away from the square, and Phil knows it having met with her
- Faking the Dead: For about nine years it was thought that she and her husband Gavin were confirmed dead in 2006 after a car accident in South Africa, which was only an opportunity for Gavin to make off with an insurance scam. Then during the 30th anniversary Live Episode, Kathy made a shock re-appearance to the audience and it was revealed that Phil had known about her whereabouts three years prior. Several months later, she eventually revealed herself to her two sons, Ian and Ben. Seeing how both of them struggled during her disappearance they exactly weren't happy... though it wasn't due to maliciousness, it was to keep them away from harm.
Ian Beale (Adam Woodyatt 1985-Present)
- Aesop Amnesia: Occasionally Ian will have an epiphany and realize that he should pride his wife and kids above money... it normally lasts about 2 weeks
- Fatal Flaw: Greed.
- Constantly digging himself into deeper lies.
- Parental Favoritism: Particularly, when Peter and Lucy were played by Thomas Law and Melissa Suffield. He preferred Peter over Lucy.
- Shortly before her death, Ian showed intense favouritism toward Lucy naming her his "success story", Peter was not pleased to overhear this.
- Ugly Guy, Hot Wife: Played straight with Cindy and Mel. Not his wife but Denise Fox is seen as this too.
- Unto Us a Son and Daughter Are Born: His and Cindy's twins: Peter and Lucy.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: Though this has largely been forgotten, in the early years, he was desperately trying to win his father's approval.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Alfie Moon , the pair became firm friends after Alfie arrived in Walford in 2004, one's a conman and a near bigamist with a criminal record and the other's a serial spouse with the habit of been a miser they are the best friend either man has ever had.
- Really Gets Around: No one knows how but he's been married to four attractive women and now engaged to another. Even though both were/are prostitutes, Janine Butcher and Rainie Cross count.
Jane Beale (Laurie Brett 2004-2012, 2014-Present)
- Mama Bear: To Bobby, most definitely.
- Parental Substitute: Bobby thinks she's his mother.
- Straight Woman: She's usually the voice of reason for Ian. This is flipped around later on as she had no control over herself whether to give Bobby in after Lucy's death.
Bobby Beale (Eliot Carrington; previously Alex Francis, Rory Stroud)
- Accidental Murder: Fought with his sister Lucy and killed her by accident.
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Tiffany Butcher.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: He's very easily set off and tends to react violently.
- Missing Mom: His mother, Laura, died when he was a baby. Jane became his 'adopted' mother who he lives with after his sister Lucy was murdered
- Mama's Baby, Papa's Maybe: Ian was convinced that Garry Hobbs was his father as he had a secret vasectomy. He didn't wait six weeks.
- The Other Darrin: Alex Francis left to focus on school, he was replaced by Rory Stroud.
- Parental Substitute: He largely thinks Jane is his mother.
- Troubling Unchildlike Behavior: After being revealed as Lucy's killer, he has started to become more aggressive in nature. Such as violently pushing Cindy over, threatening Phil Mitchell with a club, pushing Jane down the stairs, leaving Sharon's son Dennis for dead, and brutally attacking Jane with a hockey stick.
Peter Beale (Ben Hardy, previously: Francis Britton-Snell, Alex Stevens, Joseph Shade, James Martin, Thomas Law)
- Ambiguously Bi: For some reason a lot of fans think the character might be gay. This is despite him having at least 4 on-screen romantic interests
- Big "NO!": When he learns his twin sister, Lucy, has died, he breaks down screaming in his father's arms
- Big Brother Instinct: Even though Lucy is his twin sister, he would look out for her as much as he could and did feel super guilty for leaving her behind when Ian had his mental breakdown. He even began supplying Lucy with drugs to help control her addiction, only to become addicted himself. He is devastated when she dies. He's also very protective of younger brother, Bobby and to a lesser extent, Cindy.
- Break the Cutie: since Lucy's death he's been trying to stay strong for everyone, but it's clear he's keeping his emotions private and inside he's falling apart
- Camp Straight: When played by Thomas Law. Good lord. Ben Hardy's portrayal is very different.
- Dead Guy Junior: He is named after his deceased grandfather, Pete, who died on the day of his birth.
- Doom Magnet: A serious case could be made. His grandfather died on the day of his birth, his mother died when he was 5, his elder half-brother ran away from home only to return end up shooting Peter's stepmother and then his twin sister dies. Plus, he was nearly killed in a car crash, was set upon and beaten up by a gangster, as well as being attacked by a peadophile. The guy's had it rough.
- Foolish Sibling, Responsible Sibling: Was the responsible sibling to Lucy's foolish sibling.
- Mr. Fanservice: Since his return as played by Ben Hardy, we've been seeing quite a lot of his very muscular arms. He's also had a shirtless scene
- Nice Guy: Peter's kind and pleasant to pretty much everyone he meets.
- Only Sane Man: Alongside Jane, often the voice of reason in a family crisis and the most level-headed of the Beales.
- The Other Darrin: He been played no less that 6 different actors.
- Out of Focus: When played by Thomas Law, it was very rare that Peter would get any notable story-lines compared to twin sister Lucy. Peter was so underused that in 2009 he only appeared in 29 out of 212 episodes broadcast that year, leaving him the least seen character of the year. He's had more focus in his 2013 return though, becoming a character with a massive storyline in the Who Killed Lucy Beale? plot
- Put on a Bus: Was written out between December 2010 and June 2013 when he moved to Devon following an argument with Ian
- Left again in 2015, this time to move to New Zealand with Lauren after finding out who killed Lucy.
- Shirtless Scene: It did at least have some narrative context though
The Mitchell Family
Phil Mitchell (Steve McFadden)
- Abusive Parents: But Eric did love him and his siblings despite the violence. Similarly, Phil, despite his protectiveness, was quite abusive to his own son, Ben which in turn caused Ben to carry some of those abusive traits himself.
- Addled Addict: Phil became addicted to crack cocaine as well as alcohol. He set the Queen Vic on fire, nearly killing himself and mum, Peggy before admitting his problem and getting clean.
- As of 2016, he’s became addicted to alcohol again resulting in liver poisoning. However, he still rampages around with several drunk moments despite only having a few months to live unless someone offers him a transplant.
- Aesop Amnesia: Similar to Ian, Phil on many occasions tries to go legit and make an honest man of himself, but old habits die hard.
- Bald of Awesome
- Citizenship Marriage
- Dude In Distress: Held hostage by Gavin Sullivan for several days, then returns completely battered with an unhealthy addiction to alcohol.
- I Coulda Been a Contender: Phil had a real shot at being a pro boxer, but bottled his big chance.
- Alcoholic Parent: Was one and father Eric was one too.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds
- Heartwarming Moments: After a lifetime of being Ian Beale's bully/enemy, Phil was seen comforting and even hugging him after Ian broke down over his daughter Lucy's murder.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: At his core Phil is this, he saved Peter Beale from drowning, took Jay in after Billy lashed out at him and after Lucy's murder comforted a devastated Ian, coming to tears himself
- Papa Wolf: He staged the scene of Heather's murder as a burglary and destroyed evidence to protect Ben and Jay, he also nearly battered Christian Clarke with a baseball bat when he believed Christian had made a move on Ben. He was only prevented from tearing his fiancé Stella limb from limb for abusing Ben because she decided to rob him of the satisfaction and committed suicide.
- Pet the Dog: Phil took this to a whole new level when Linda Carter's dog Lady Di had a litter of puppies. Phil, noticing the runt of the litter was not breathing, gave the puppy mouth to mouth resuscitation and ensured its survival.
- Woman Scorned: Became a victim of this after being shot by ex-wife, Lisa and ex-girlfriend, Shirley on his own wedding day!
Sharon Mitchell (nee Watts, nee Rickman) (Letitia Dean)
- Big Screwed-Up Family: Ended up marrying her adoptive brother, Dennis and having his baby. Dennis ended up dying in her arms after being stabbed in the middle of the square
- Incest Subtext: It's implied that 'Dirty' Den has a little more love for his 'Princess' Sharon. The fact she ended up marrying her adopted brother is ironic
- Love Triangle: Possibly the most famous ever. Between Sharon and the Mitchell brothers, Phil and Grant; affectionately known as 'Sharongate'.
- Long-Lost Relative: Her biological father, Gavin Sullivan. AKA husband of Kathy Beale who faked his death for nearly ten years. And was a companion with Den back then. Den took care of Sharon instead because Gavin was under a lot of pressure.
- Mama Bear: To her son, Denny.
- Mama Didn't Raise No Criminal: When her son Denny becomes a hassle in school, Whitney goes to report Sharon about his bad behaviour. Sharon angrily tells her she's mistaken.
- Not Blood Siblings: Dennis Rickman and Sharon.
- Really Gets Around: Was married to Grant Mitchell, had an affair with his brother Phil. Was engaged to Tom Banks, who died in a housefire trying to rescue Little Mo Mitchell. THEN she got together with Den's estranged son, Dennis Rickman; staying together with him even after discovering he's her adoptive brother. He was stabbed in an attack arranged by Phil Mitchell. THEN she got married to Phil Mitchell!
- Scandalgate: In the mid 90's, the show ran a storyline where Sharon had an affair with Phil Mitchell whilst married to his brother, Grant. Nicknamed 'Sharongate'.
- Trauma Conga Line
- Obnoxious In-Laws: Does not get on with Peggy Mitchell.
- Addled Addict: Was addicted to painkillers. She relapsed after being attacked and left for dead at her own bar, Found out that Phil was behind the attack to which she retaliated and tried to fleece him for all the money he had. She decided against it after realising how sorry he was and they got married. Only for him to be shot by his ex/lover Shirley Carter.
- Died in Your Arms Tonight: Husband Dennis died in her arms after being stabbed
Dennis "Denny" Rickman Jr. (Bleu Landau; previously Harry Hickles)
- Bratty Half-Pint: Most of the time he can be a little nuisance.
- Dead Guy Junior: He was named after his father, who got murdered six months before he was born.
- Did Not Die That Way: This happened when his mother Sharon told him that his dad was killed in a helicopter crash. Once Dennis' actual death was revealed, he didn't take it too well.
- In-Series Nickname: Sharon always calls him "Denny".
- Out of Focus: Sharon is regularly seen, and yet he's nowhere to be found most of the time. This was so bad that fans started to joke about him being a missing child.
Billy Mitchell (Perry Fenwick)
- Butt Monkey: Cannot be taken seriously most of the time, especially with his own family. Phil and Grant refer to him as the 'runt of the litter'.
- Characterization Marches On: Was violent and underhanded initially, acting as an abusive Evil Uncle to Jamie and a sadistic drug dealer for Steve. By the time of both characters' demises, Billy's softer more pitiful personality had fully emerged.
- Evil Uncle: For Jamie initially. He backed off when Jamie [The Dog Bites Back gave him a return beating]]. Due to Characterization Marches On, it's generally subverted towards the rest of the Mitchell kids.
- Long-Lost Relative: his son Dan and granddaughter Lola
- Parental Abandonment: Was brought up in a care home.
- Throw the Dog a Bone: He was the torchbearer for the relay around Albert Square of the 2012 Olympics. He gained a great-granddaughter on the same day as well!
- Took a Level in Kindness: Early on, he was the abusive uncle of Jamie Mitchell. Then from then on, his comedic and loser side started to show.
- Ugly Guy, Hot Wife: Was married to both Little Mo and Honey, both very attractive.
Honey Mitchell (Emma Barton)
Roxy Mitchell (Rita Simons)
- Abusive Parents: averted, is probably the only Mitchell over 20 who wasn't abused
- Daddy's Girl: Was definitely this with Archie until the full extent of his evil was revealed.
- Fag Hag: with Christian.
- Long-Lost Relative: Danielle, her niece.
- Parental Abandonment: Glenda.
- Fatal Attractor: Not the luckiest in love. Was married to Sean Slater who left her, married Alfie Moon who decided he still loved his ex-wife, Kat Slater on Roxy's wedding day. Then it was Aleks, a slimy liar who was still married and had a child Roxy has no clue about! Finally it was Dean who was notorious for raping Linda and everyone in the square resented him, but she ignored all of that for love until she became a victim of his attempted rape just before Mick and Linda’s wedding day. She also has a habit of stealing her sister’s Ronnie’s boyfriends like Jack and Charlie Cotton.
- Big Screwed-Up Family: She's a Mitchell.
- Brainless Beauty
- Love Triangle: Got involved with her sister Ronnie's boyfriend, Jack Branning and ended up pregnant with his child.
- Mama Bear: Would do anything for her daughter, Amy.
- Really Gets Around
- Whodunnit: Was a suspect in the murder of Archie Mitchell.
- Pimped-Out Dress: Not exactly 'pimped out' but definitely not traditional during her wedding to Sean Slater! The dress was VERY short at the front, revealing her stockings underneath.
- Ms. Fanservice
Ronnie Mitchell (Samantha Womack)
- Abusive Parents: Oh boy. Was raped by her father Archie by age 13. Her daughter was adopted the moment she was born at 14 as her mother was manipulated into leaving. Her long lost daughter is blackmailed into keeping her true identity secret, only to be hit by a car upon revealing the truth to Ronnie. She miscarried a baby after Archie pushes her into a bar. No wonder she has 'issues'.
- Broken Bird: Upon discovering she was pregnant with Charlie's child, she acquired a GUN to protect herself, paranoid that history would repeat itself.
- Dark and Troubled Past: See above!
- Disney Death: After being in a car crash on her wedding day she is rushed to hospital and flat lines soon after. Everyone is crying and saying their goodbyes, then she comes back.
- The Dog Bites Back: She finally snaps when Carl attempts to molest her and makes the fatal mistake of putting his head over an open car boot...
- Gender-Blender Name: Ronnie is revealed to be short for Veronica. The only person who seemed to call her her full name was her father, Archie..
- Ice Queen
- Long-Lost Relative: Danielle, her daughter who was adopted against her will
- Love Triangle: Jack, Ronnie & her sister, Roxy. Especially heartbreaking when Roxy ends up pregnant, Ronnie's child with Jack dies from SIDS and kicks off the baby-kidnap storyline..
- Luke, You Are My Father: Was this to Danielle.
- Mama Bear: To Amy, as she responds so frighteningly following her kidnapping by Carl's brother she manages to disturb PHIL. One could argue Carl himself got it too if Ronnie's reasoning for killing him is to be believed, though it was also self defence.
- She is actually taking up the matriarchal mantle of Peggy Mitchell herself in recent days.
- Parental Abandonment: Glenda
- Pay Evil unto Evil: To gangster, Carl.
- Put on a Bus: Left in July 2011 after being sent to prison for the abduction of Tommy Moon.
- Surprise Pregnancy: Comes back to Walford five months pregnant with Charlie's baby
- Tangled Family Tree
- The Woobie
- Trauma Congaline: Is driven to this when Carl tries to rape her and, bringing back memories of Archie, she murders him before putting his body in a car and putting the car in a crusher.
Ben Mitchell (Currently Harry Reid. Previously, Charlie Jones, Joshua Pascoe.)
- Bi the Way: Had many attractions to males but had a baby with Lola and currently is in a relationship with Abi. Has finally come out as gay and is now in a relationship with Paul.
- Cure Your Gays: He claims to no longer be gay. No one except his girlfriend Abi buys it. He eventually dumped Abi after finding out she'd lied about being pregnant. Ben's no angel either after he'd been sleeping with hairdresser, Paul. Ben and Paul are now together and Ben's more accepting of his own sexuality.
- Darker and Edgier: When played by Charlie Jones, Ben was a likeable character, who loved dancing and was just trying to make Phil proud. Then he was recast to Joshua Pascoe. He's now played by Harry Reid.
- The Dog Bites Back: Ben has a couple of these moments. One was the infamous "Spanner of Doom", where Ben used a spanner to bash Jordan Johnson in the head for bullying him too much. Another happened at around early 2012 after Phil mocked Ben so much that he claimed a witness statement saying that Phil was responsible for the death of Stella.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Ben nowadays is brash and easily irritable compared to how calm and quiet he was before.
- Jumping Off the Slippery Slope: Killing Heather.
- Like Father, Unlike Son: Phil is a hardman while Ben preferred dancing as a kid.
- Nice Guy: At first.
- Put on a Bus: To prison.
- Very Punchable Guy: The number of times he's had his nose broken...
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: He has throughout the years tried to earn the respect of Phil, but this always seems to backfire. Admitting that he was gay didn't help.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: As was seen coming a mile off, he finally snapped from years of abuse from Phil.
Louise Mitchell (Currently Tilly Keeper. Previously Brittany Papple, Danni Bennatar, Rachel Cox)
Peggy Mitchell (Barbara Mitchell)
- Catch Phrase: "Get Outta My Pub!" or anything about 'Fah-mily.'
- Very Special Episode: Her one episode returns in 2013 and 2015.
- The Voiceless: Through most of her Jan 15, 2016 appearance. Only speaking when she tells Phil she's dying from cancer.
Archie Mitchell (Larry Lamb)
- Abusive Parents: had one and was one
- Asshole Victim
- Parental Favoritism: He clearly preferred Roxie over Ronnie.
Jay Brown (Jamie Borthwick)
- Adults Are Useless: This has been Jay's experience anyway, he's practically raised himself
- Berserk Button: DO NOT insult his dead father
- Beta Couple: He and girlfiend Abi Branning are probably the most stable couple on the whole show. They broke up and she got into a relationship with Jay's best friend, Ben Mitchell
- Beware the Nice Ones: Jay's a nice, laid back easy going guy but he can turn quite nasty and violent if he needs to.
- Black Best Friend: Best mate Dexter. Ben Mitchell has pretty much taken Dexter's place since he left the square.
- Book Dumb: Though he's hardly The Ditz, Jay is certainly not very academically bright. But what he lacks in Academic smarts he certainly makes up for in street smarts
- Break the Cutie: Almost too many to count, he's certainly one of the writers favorite punching bags
- Clueless Chick Magnet: Abi, Lola, Kitty, Linzi/Star, Louise and (though not a girl) Ben all displayed attraction towards Jay, did he realize? Nope..
- Convicted by Public Opinion: Condemned as a paedophile by almost everyone in the Square despite not knowing Linzi/Star's real age and her clearly looking older than she really is.
- Deus Angst Machina Life really seems to have no other reason for his existence than to just completely break him down and destroy him at every available opportunity
- Deadpan Snarker: Has his moments
- Disappeared Dad: Jay's dad was in prison for the first 11 years of his life, then got out of prison only to be brutally murdered a year later
- Dogged Nice Guy: His unrequited crushes on Lauren and Lucy in his younger years
- Incompatible Orientation: It was heavily implied several times that step brother Ben had a crush on him
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Used to be this until around two years ago, now he's dropped the jerk and is just a general Nice Guy
- Missing Mom: She died of cancer. You can start to see why Jay's The Woobie of the show at times
- Trauma Congaline: In his six years on the show Jay has lost his grandmother and mother, been abandoned by his grandfather, seen his father get brutally murdered, been placed in care, been beaten by his foster father, witnessed a murder and been emotionally blackmailed and forced to cover it up having clearly negative affects on his mental health and was left homeless, jobless and penniless when the truth came out. All before his 18th birthday.
- After finding out that his girlfriend was really 14 years old, he ended up arrested. At his plea hearing, he was forced to either plead guilty and get released early, do unpaid labour and get put on the sex offenders registry for five years or plead not guilty and go to prison. He chose the former.
- And then after that, he is fired from his job, made homeless and beaten half to death in the middle of the street.
- After finding out that his girlfriend was really 14 years old, he ended up arrested. At his plea hearing, he was forced to either plead guilty and get released early, do unpaid labour and get put on the sex offenders registry for five years or plead not guilty and go to prison. He chose the former.
- The Woobie: Though originally very boisterous and kind of unsympathetic, Jay grew into a very nice young man..... it was just unfortunate that with that change in personality came a majority of his tragedy.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: His need and desire for a father figure of his own constantly has Jay trying to impress people, most notably Phil Mitchell who treated Jay like one of his own
- Your Cheating Heart: Cheated on girlfriend Abi with a girl on holiday. To be fair to Jay, he's always strived for a family of his own and Abi had just basically told him she didn't want a kid with him and he was devastated.
The Fowler Family
Sonia Fowler (Natalie Cassidy)
- Teen Pregnancy: Became pregnant with Martin Fowler's baby as a teen. She gave birth to baby Chloe on the sofa. Chloe is given up for adoption despite Pauline Fowler's pleas.
- Bi the Way: Sonia's sexuality has been explored multiple times which would lead to people 'labelling' her as bisexual. She's had long term relationships with men but also had lesbian encounters including her friend, Naomi and Tina Carter.
- Disappeared Dad: Never knew her real father.
- Happily Adopted: Her daughter, Chloe was adopted by a happy family until they were killed in a car crash. Chloe's name was changed to Rebecca and she now lives with her biological father, Martin Fowler.
- Dysfunctional Family
Martin Fowler (James Bye; previously James Alexandrou)
- Butt Monkey: Especially after helping Stacey through her breakdown after the birth of Arthur. After searching for weeks and weeks for a mother and baby unit for her to be able to live with Arthur during treatment, Martin found out that he was not actually Arthur's dad. Martin's best friend, Kush had gotten Stacey pregnant just before they got together properly.
- Dead Guy Junior: He and Stacey have a baby son, who he named after his deceased father Arthur. This was subverted though as the father wasn't him, it was Kush, but he didn't know at the time.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Kush. Until he found out Kush was the father of Stacey's baby, Arthur. They've kind of made up but you can see that they're not quite as close as before though.
- Papa Wolf: Took his and Sonia's daughter, Rebecca to live with him when they had split up. Martin also loves the bones of his son, Arthur with Stacey. Even though Arthur is not actually his son.
- Parental Substitute: To Lily. Lily's real dad, Ryan is in prison.
Rebecca "Bex" Fowler (Jasmine Armfield; before Jade Sharif)
- Daddy's Girl: Lived with Martin when him and Sonia split up. She has since gotten closer to her mum.
- Emo Teen
- Goth: As part of her image as soon as she returned in 2014.
- Tomboyand Girly Girl: Bex is the tomboy to Louise's girly girl.
Mark Fowler (Todd Carty)
- Arch-Enemy: To Nick Cotton.
- Beware the Nice Ones
- Crazy Jealous Guy: Threatened to rape his wife when she cheated on him. He had a Heel Realization and broke down before he could go through with it though.
- Ill Boy: He was an HIV positive.
- Momma's Boy: Much to his chagrin.
- Nice Guy: Usually.
- Put on a Bus
- Bus Crash: He succumbed to AIDS a year after leaving the square.
The Branning Family
Stacey Branning (nee Slater) (Lacey Turner)
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: In her past, Stacey was always attracted to bad boys. Until she met Bradley, that is. They got married and were in love, until his untimely death. She's now found love with Martin Fowler.
- Darkand Troubled Past: Her past showed her having to deal with her father's death and her mother having severe bipolar disorder.
- Love Triangle: Stacey, Bradley and his dad, Max. Revealed on Christmas Day via a DVD that Max's daughter, Lauren put in on purpose. Stacey, Kush and Shabnam Kush slept with Stacey before his relationship with Shabnam started but the two continued having romantic liaisons behind Shabnam's back
- Rape as Drama: Was raped by Archie Mitchell. eventually killed him in the biggest Whodunnit storylines ever
- Mama Bear: To her daughter, Lily and her son, Arthur.
- Mood-Swinger: turns out Stacey has bipolar disorder, just like her mother Jean
- Really Gets Around: When she first arrived on the square.
- Pay Evil unto Evil: When she killed Archie Mitchell for raping her
- Ms. Fanservice: More so in her early days.
- Long-Lost Relative: Is actually Kyle's half-sister. He is one of the children her father had with his other wife when he was still alive.
- Sanity Slippage: Due to her bipolar disorder, Stacey first suffers one by experiencing hallucinations, and then another with postpartum psychosis (thinking her baby is the Son of God). She got admitted to a psychiatric hospital both times.
- Tomboyand Girly Girl: Stacey is the girly girl to Shabnam's tomboy.
Dot Branning (nee Colwell formerly Cotton) (June Brown)
- As the Good Book Says: In spades.
- Catchphrase: "Oh I say!"
- Doting Grandparent: To a logical extreme with her natural grandchildren, a justified trope as she knew none of them as young children therefore she tries to the best grandmother she can.
- Gossipy Hens: A trait for the elderly of Walford.
- Hypocritical Humour: "You know me, I ain't one to gossip, but..."
- Happily Married: To Jim Branning, her first marriage to the elder Charlie Cotton went sour very quickly leaving her to raise son Nick alone
- Long-Lost Relative: And how! Dot has discovered the existence of three different children Nick fathered without her knowledge: Ashley, Dotty and the recently revealed Charlie and was horrified to discover that her half-sister Rose's son Andrew was fathered by her ne'er-do-well first husband Charlie Cotton Senior.
- Shipper on Deck: Very much so for Charlie and Ronnie. Ronnie been pregnant with her great-grandson helps.
Max Branning (Jake Wood)
- Abusive Parents: His father Jim used to punish him through extreme measures.
- Dirty Old Man: Is shaping up to be a slightly younger variant of this, Peter Beale calls him this trope word for word once the secret comes out that he was Lucy Beale's secret sexual liason before she died. Lauren also lampshades how he likes them young.
- Disappeared Dad: Max and his abandonment of Bradley when he was young.
- Disproportionate Retribution: He's on the receiving end of this by his family when his affair with Stacey was revealed. How he made it in one piece after being buried alive by his wife and run over by his daughter is unclear.
- Really Gets Around: now sleeping with the police officer who's supposed to be investigating Lucy Beale's murder case
- Ugly Guy, Hot Wife: Played straight with Tanya and Vanessa. A little more debatable with Kirsty.
Lauren Branning (Jacqueline Jossa currently. Previously, Madeline Duggan.)
- The Alcoholic
- Emo Teen
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Had a relationship with her cousin Joey who wasn't exactly innocent. Had an affair with married chef, Jake who she met at her AA meetings. He was accused and sent to prison for the murder of Lucy Beale as well as a brief relationship with Dean Wicks who's recently raped Linda. Finally seems to be with nice guy, Peter Beale.
- Little Miss Snarker
- The Other Darrin: Was recast to Jacqueline Jossa, during the tenure of Bryan Kirkwood.
- Really Gets Around: Has either slept with or had relationships with a lot of the younger male cast.
- She's Got Legs: Seen in her outfit at Sharon and Phil's wedding.
- Women Drivers: Run her dad, Max over when she was a young teen
- Ms. Fanservice: When she hit 18 and her alcohol issues took over, Lauren's interest in clothing did too..
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: The tomboy to Lucy's girly girl, especially in her teens. Also with Abi.
Cora Cross (Ann Mitchell)
- Apron Matron
- Deadpan Snarker
- Faux Interracial Romance: Cora dated an African-American sailor in the 60's, resulting in a pregnancy. Her daughter, Ava was born but her parents forced her to give the child up for adoption as she was mixed race.
- Parental Abandonment: When her husband fell ill with cancer, Cora would go out drinking and gambling to forget her problems; leaving her two young daughters Tanya and Rainie to look after him at the age of 13.
- Mama Bear: Even though she wasn't there for them during their childhood, Cora is fiercely protective of her daughters; especially concerning Tanya when one of Max's numerous affairs are revealed. She also doesn't give up trying to reconnect with her adopted daughter, Ava and her son Dexter when they arrive in Walford.
- Long-Lost Relative: Her daughter, Ava who was forced into adoption. Her grandson, Dexter also counts.
Abi Branning (Lorna Fitzgerald)
- Beware the Nice Ones: Abi has become increasingly aggressive and angry, culminating in a fight with Lucy upon discovering her sexual liasons with her dad, and even wishes she HAD killed her in a chilling confrontation with her parents.
- She has also tried to drown her own sister, as well as beat up Stacey in a fit of rage while she was still pregnant.
- The Beard: Is this to Ben Mitchell who claims he's no longer gay. She's in denial about it.
- Childhood Friend Romance: She and Ben were close friends when they were kids. Almost a decade later they're in a relationship with each other.
- The Cutie
- Daddy's Girl: As opposed to Lauren.
- Dating What Daddy Hates: Max clearly doesn't like Abi dating Jay. Doesn't need to worry about that any more as Jay broke up with Abi as he not only realised he loves Lola but he didn't want to move to Bolton with her when she went to university
- He also doesn't approve of her dating Ben Mitchell. Not so much because he's an ex-con, but more because he's using her as a beard.
- Foolish Sibling, Responsible Sibling: She is the responsible one to Lauren's foolish.
Jack Branning (Scott Maslen)
- Abusive Parents
- Chick Magnet: Has had Ronnie, Roxy, Tanya, Sam, Sharon, Chelsea and various others after him over the years
- Lantern Jaw of Justice
- Mr. Fanservice: Judging by his countless shirtless scenes over the years
- Dirty Cop: Former
- Putona Bus: As Of 15th of October 2013
Bradley Branning (Charlie Clements)
- Break the Cutie: His life after he moved into Walford.
- Disappeared Dad: Max and his abandonment of Bradley when he was young.
- Dogged Nice Guy
Alice Branning (Jasmyn Banks)
- Daddy's Girl: To Joey's chagrin.
- Disappeared Dad: Her father Derek walked out on her when she was very young and they didn't get back in contact until she was 18.
- Jumping Off the Slippery Slope: Offering to kill Janine
- May-December Romance: Alice is in her early twenty's at least, Michael is in his forties. They have sex.
- Putona Bus: Following her arrest all her moments are off camera
- Unwitting Pawn; In Michael's scheme to regain custody of Scarlett.
Joey Branning (David Witts)
- Mr. Fanservice: David Witts is rumored to have had a no nudity agreement put into his contract, however that hasn't stopped the wardrobe department from dressing him in very tight revealing shirts.
- Kissing Cousins: Lauren
- Putona Bus: After losing all hope of saving his sister he takes off feeling there is nothing left for him.
Derek Branning (Jamie Foreman)
- Big Brother Bully
- Disappeared Dad: To Alice and Joey.
- Dropped a Bridge on Him: The most prominent villain in 2012, his death? A heart attack.
- Large Ham: While you can point out numerous instances the "I AM DEREK BRANNING!" line on the 2012 Christmas Episode sounded so cheesy and overdramatic
- Nice Hat: Wore a Flat cap more often then not when he was undertaking criminal activity
Tanya Branning (Jo Joyner)
The Masood Family
Masood Ahmed (Nitin Ganatra)
- I Have No Son
- The Gambling Addict
- Hypocrite: a gambling addict who has tried to run off with a (yet another) then-married woman... twice now is it?
- He gets called on it twice by Syed. Once when he punches Christian even though the Qur'an teaches non-violence and once when he brings up the two examples above.
Zainab Masood (Nina Wadia)
- The Dog Bites Back: Triumphantly dumps and dresses down Domestic Abuser Yusef Khan on the streets. When this only leads him to try kill Masood out of spite, she tricks him into thinking his daughter is in the house fire he caused out of despair, leading him to walk into his own death.
- Hypocrite: gets called on it more than her husband...
- I Have No Son
- Mama Bear: Deep down, from Nina Wadia herself, Zainab's intense homophobia is fueled partially by her need to protect her son from all the hatred he would receive from the Muslim community. She didn't do a good job of it.
- Obnoxious In-Laws: to Amira and Afia, Christian as well in her more "tolerant" moments
Syed Masood (Marc Elliott)
- Straight Gay
- Coming-Out Story
- Cure Your Gays: He tries to go to counseling to get rid of all those 'icky' gay feelings. It didn't work.
- The Charmer
- Secret Relationship
- Black Sheep: His backstory.
Shabnam Masood (currently Rakhee Thakrar, previously Zahra Ahmadi)
- Characterisation Marches On: When Shabnam was first introduced, she wasn't very interested in her Muslim culture but more into British culture, thus making her look rebellious to her mother Zainab. Once she returned from Pakistan in 2014: she finally became devoted to Islam, as well as undergoing a personality change with her having a Sugar and Ice Personality.
- The Other Darrin: Was originally played by Zahra Ahmadi until she left in 2008. The role was taken by Rakhee Thakrar in 2014 when Shabnam returned to the square
- Parental Abandonment: She had a fling with Dean Wicks which resulted in her giving birth to a daughter she named Roya. She immediately left her baby on a doorstep. Couple of years later she finds out that her daughter lives in a foster home and is renamed Jade.
- Ice Queen: Shabnam is particularly cold since she returned in 2014, not being very sympathetic to her colleague Denise's problems.
Tamwar Masood (Himesh Patel)
- Bollywood Nerd
- The Comically Serious: He can show almost no expression during a tense moment, and it's hilarious.
- Deadpan Snarker: And HOW!
- Middle Child Syndrome
- Physical Scars, Psychological Scars: Was severely burned after his evil step-father Yusef set fire to family home. The memories were too much when the Moon family home was set alight, causing Tamwar to run.
- The Stoic
Amira Masood (Preeya Kalidas)
- Alpha Bitch
- The Beard
- Spoiled Brat: At least until her father goes to prison.
- Unwanted Spouse
- My Secret Pregnancy
- Moment Killer: New Years Eve, among other times.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: She tells Syed that she hopes Christian and he will be very happy right before she leaves. Of course, that doesn't last long, judging by how she acted her second time around on the Square. Either she was being extremely sarcastic, or her time spent locked up with her dad has made her very bitter.
- Put on a Bus: After The Reveal, she leaves Walford with a secret of her own.
- She's returning in Fall 2011, with baby in tow.
- Foot-Dragging Divorcee
The Fox Family
Denise Fox (Diane Parish)
- Domestic Abuse: Suffered this at the hands of ex-partner, Owen. Ended up being locked away in a run-down house after her husband, Lucas' lies unravelled; revealing he accidentally killed his ex-wife and then Denise's ex-partner, Owen AND covering it up.
- Happily Married: To Kevin Wicks before his death.
- Lonely Together: In Denise's case anyway. She doesn't particularly love him and was planning to leave him but his daughter Lucy was murdered, causing her to not bring herself to leave
- May-December Romance: With the much younger, Fatboy.
- All Work vs. All Play: Slight case of this with Kim.
- Foolish Sibling, Responsible Sibling: Again with Kim.
Kim Fox (Tameka Empson)
- Foolish Sibling, Responsible Sibling: The foolish to Denise's responsible.
- The Ditz: Isn't known for her intelligence but Kim is always positive and provides the majority of the comic relief in the show.
- Surprise Pregnancy: Arrived back on the Square pregnant much to her sister, Denise's surprise.
- Who's Your Daddy?: The father of Kim's baby was kept a secret for a while, both in-universe and out. His name is Vincent Hubbard and he's Kim's husband. He also has history with Ronnie Mitchell..
- Instant Birth, Just Add Water: Kim gave birth to her daughter, Pearl prematurely. Conveniently it was in the Queen Vic pub on the live episode for added drama. Inconveniently it was during Sharon and Phil's wedding. She gave birth with no issues at all and relatively quickly although her daughter was kept in hospital for a few weeks after the birth.
The Carter Family
Shirley Carter (Linda Henry)
- Dark and Troubled Past: She is NOT fond of her dad. Is actually Mick's mother.
- Deadpan Snarker: She plays this trope to a tee when she's in the mood (which is most of the time).
- Luke, I Am Your Father: Is revealed to be Mick's mother to a shellshocked Phil during a drunken moment
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Heather. These two have been best mates for who knows long.
- Mama Bear: Used to be this with her younger siblings Mick and Tina, now it sort of extends to their kids.
- Mama Didn't Raise No Criminal: Refuses to believe that Dean raped Linda.
- Out of Focus: After Heather's death, she hasn't really done much.
- Parental Abandonment: Left her husband, Kevin and her three kids Jimbo, Carly and Deano when they were young. Jimbo died of cystic fibrosis when she was gone.
- Woman Scorned: Towards Phil Mitchell. After the pair begin sleeping together behind his fiance, Sharon's back; Phil promises Shirley that he will leave Sharon for her. He doesn't and Phil marries Sharon anyway. Shirley reveals their affair to Sharon on the wedding day but isn't believed. Shirley then shoots Phil and runs.
Mick Carter (Danny Dyer)
- Dark and Troubled Past: Shares this with Shirley.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: His mother is actually Shirley. This puts all the Stan as his father comments to big question
- Nice Guy: Is very firm but fair to his family and friends.
- Family Relationship Switcheroo: He finds out that Shirley is his mother, not his sister. This also means that instead of Stan being his father he's his grandfather, and it's the same with Dean who's his brother instead of his nephew (which he refuses to believe after finding out he raped Linda).
- Papa Wolf: Even his own grandfather is not free from his wrath, you dare insult his family and he WILL make you pay for it. Additionally, the scene where he accepts Johnny unconditionally after he comes out of gay was so heartwarming it received acclaim.
- Tranquil Fury: Mick is a very calm and controlled person to a fault, but when Stan jokes about the mortality of his elder son Lee on duty...that smile is not one of good humor.
- This controlled rage manifests again when Dean arrives planning to torch the Vic in revenge for the ruined life he has over the accusations and takes Nancy hostage. Upon a moment of oppertunity with that tranquil look in his eyes, gets the lighter out of Dean's hands and crashes him at the neck underfoot, leaving him unconcious only because Nancy bashed him off before he could snap his neck!.
- Roaring Rampageof Revenge: Trailers for Christmas 2014 show Mick going from Tranquil to full on explosive rage after he discovers that (his unknown Brother) Dean raped his wife, throwing him across a table in the vic and smashing things
Linda Carter (Kellie Bright)
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Initially very hostile toward Shirley, however over time they have been able to accept each others presence.
- Jerkass: Has trouble accepting her son's sexuality at first, later decides to send him to Sharon's new bar as a spy against their competition.
- Rape as Drama: Was raped by her nephew Dean, who's actually her brother-in-law. This is also unknown to all the family bar Shirley and Aunt Babe. The rest of the family were downstairs in The Queen Vic pub, unaware of what was happening.
- Page Three Stunna: Was photographed topless on Page 3 when she was a teenager. The photo was found by Dexter who proceeded to pass it around to his friends. The picture is now proudly behind the bar (the obvious hidden by some conveniently placed bar snacks!)
Johnny Carter (currently Ted Reilly; previously Sam Strike)
- Break the Cutie: After he came out and his mother refused to acknowledge him. Noticeable is that Johnny had only been on-screen for a week when this happened, he's the quickest cutie to ever be broken. Also, bare in mind that there's probably more on the way; no character as sweet, innocent and cute as Johnny is ever gets it easy
- Coming-Out Story: Confessing to his father Mick that he is gay, while breaking down in tears.
- Internal Reveal: After his departure to Italy, Johnny wasn't informed about anything that happened in the next year such as Linda's confession about Dean being the rapist, Lee's depression, Shirley trying to drown Dean, Mick fighting with Dean during his wedding and Nancy and Lee's fighting caused Ollie to fall out of his chair. Once he returned he was told all of these events.
- Momma's Boy: He is described as this. And it's true, since Linda is always calling him her 'sausage', and she is shown to be interfering with his problems a tad too much. Also she was very stubborn about accepting his homosexuality, probably just having high levels of concern. Then later on, Johnny eventually snaps at his mother calling her a 'stupid bitch'.
- Nice Guy: Probably the most realistic and normal young male on the show, Johnny is just out and out sweet to everybody
- Pretty Boy
- The Woobie: The way he was outed to his family wasn't nice, and then a few days later he was outed to the entire community by his aunt. It helps the the actor seems to be very talented at doing puppy dog eyes.
Tina Carter (Luisa Bradshaw-White)
- Adult Child: She's in her fourties but acts like a teenager.
- But Not Too Bi: She sleeps with Billy Mitchell early after they meet but later says it was just a bit of mistaken fun and that she is a lesbian.
- Lampshade Hanging: She knows people would find it odd that despite claiming to be a lesbian, she has a daughter, and is happy enough to talk about it.
- Nice Girl: A very caring and nice person, ESPECIALLY toward Cindy.
- Domestic Abuse: Girlfriend Tosh pushed her into a door frame rather violently which resulted in a cut above Tina's eyebrow. It's also been hinted that Tosh has been a bully and possibly violent towards Tina in the past.
Lee Carter (Danny-Boy Hatchard)
- The Charmer: Lee's shown his charming side and eventually won over Whitney Dean, even after his fling with the late Lucy Beale.
Nancy Carter (Maddy Hill)
- Deadpan Snarker: Always with a serious expression. Does it more often if she's feeling moody.
- Honor Before Reason: Nancy is perhaps the most moral of the Carter family to a fault. She tells Shirley the truth of what Mick did to Dean in the Vic cellar
- Middle Child Syndrome: Shades of this can be seen. Her older brother, Lee is a war hero who's highly respected and her younger brother, Johnny is a mummy's boy who's recently come out. This can be seen clearly during Nancy's 21st birthday where her party is a little less than exciting, resulting in her mother, Linda going berserk. The family are however unaware of mother, Linda being raped only days earlier and is still coming to terms with it.
- Outnumbered Sibling: All of her siblings are male, even her new baby brother Ollie.
- She Cleans Up Nicely: She made a stunning appearance (hair let loose, in a nice dress) for her parents' wedding. Even people in-universe were shocked.
- Tomboy: Has only ever been seen wearing baggy clothes with her hair constantly in a ponytail.
Aunt Babe Smith (Annette Badland)
- Dark Secret: Implied to be between her and Shirley's mother, Sylvie Carter.
- Turns out that she had the disappeared Sylvie in her house all along, but because she was looking after her now she has Alzheimer's' disease.
- Also turns out that Stan had previously dated her.
- Manipulative Bitch: Underneath that caring nanny-like exterior.
- Politically Incorrect Villain: Convinces Abi to manipulate Ben into staying with her instead of Paul because she's homophobic.
Les Coker (Roger Sloman)
- Under Taker: His lifelong occupation, Like Father, Like Son as he confirmed during his first and initially only a guest appearance to arrange Pat Evans' funeral in 2012.
- Ascended Extra: Les was a guest character who arranged Pat Evans' funeral in early 2012, but returned for a small number of scenes during that year. In 2014 he returned as a regular cast member with his Gossipy Hens wife Pam and references were made to a grandson named Paul.
- Crossdresser: He's been doing it since the age of seven, and kept it a secret throughout his marriage to Pam. His Alter Ego name is of a woman named Christine and only Pam's friend Claudette knew about this.
- Darker and Edgier: Somewhat the case as he returned in the midst of the mysterious Charlie Cotton storyline and took a backhander from Charlie for arranging the funeral for the presumed dead Nick Cotton
- Dark and Troubled Past: The Cokers unnamed son's early death is rarely discussed but his loss clearly plays on their minds making his parents cheerful and sociable demeanours and pride in their grandson Paul heartbreaking
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: However he genuinely seemed unsettled by lying to Dot over the situation despite the backhander he is Happily Married to Pam and supported a devastated Peter Beale when Peter went to see Lucy's body in the Coker and Son's chapel of rest
- Happily Married: To Pam, his wife of nearly 50 years despite implying he was a client of Pat's in her days as a prostitute to Carol Jackson and David Wicks.
- Remember the New Guy: Prior to his first appearance, the undertakers used by Walford was never named. Les stated due to his 'friendship' with Pat the funeral of Ian Beale and David Wicks' father Pete Beale was the first of many associated within Albert Square dealt by Coker and Sons.
- Family Business: The Coker family have been in the funeral business since 1915, Pam fears for their grandson Paul's future, leading to Les blackmailing an angry Charlie Cotton to keep his silence over the funeral of 'Nick'
- Food as Bribe: Les was bribed by Mick to get Stan to quit being a Lazy Bum around the Vic by pretending to address Stan's funeral arrangements It Works to Mick and Nancy's glee- Les's price? A single malt whiskey. Nancy now considers him a Cool Old Guy because of this.
- Outliving One's Offspring: In discussion with Billy Mitchell Les revealed that his and Pam's son had died "some time ago" leaving behind his son Paul, whom Les described as the splitting image of his father
Pamela 'Pam' Coker (Lin Blakley)
Paul Coker (Jonny Labey)
The Kazemi Family
Kush Kazemi (Davood Ghadami)
- Mr. Fanservice: Not even a month into the show and he's provided himself to be naked in front of the stall place
- Opposites Attract: The loud, joker Kush fell in love with the distant and orderly Shabnam.
Carmel Kazemi (Bonnie Langford)
The Butcher Family
Tiffany Butcher (Originally Dean) (Maisie Smith)
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Bobby Beale.
- Deliberately Cute Child
- Fiery Redhead: Downplayed.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: Originally believed to be fathered by Whitney's father, a DNA test later showed she was actually Ricky's.
- Mouthy Kid: She takes after Bianca.
Morgan Butcher (Devon Higgs)
- Deliberately Cute Child
- Trademark Favorite Food: Chicken nuggets.
- Not so much anymore after a little hint about their true contents...
Liam Butcher (James Forde)
- Book Dumb: Liam's school grades aren't all that due to the fact he suffers from dyslexia.
- Dogged Nice Guy: Cindy didn't like him back, and to really make things worse she's pregnant by Liam's best friend
- Nice Guy: Seems to be the only one in his entire family who ever spares a thought for other people
- Out of Focus: Despite being the eldest of mum Bianca's children, it's very rare for Liam to get any screen time compared to younger siblings Morgan and Tiffany (especially Tiffany). Averted starting in 2013; He now gets story lines of his own because his actor is now over 16.
- In With The Crowd: Desperate to fit in, Liam ended up becoming friends with a bunch of thugs who got him into a lot of trouble
- Hopeless Suitor: Has a hopeless crush on Cindy Beale who ended up pregnant with Liam's best friend's baby
Pat Butcher (Pam St. Clement)
Janine Butcher (Charlie Brooks currently. Previously, Rebecca Michael, Alexia Demetriou)
- Bad Samaritan
- Crying Wolf: most of her family's convinced she murdered her grandmother Lydia
- Even Evil Has Standards: Janine has no problem with destroying lives, but genuinely seemed horrified by Rob's exploitation of Whitney (though guilt, marginal family loyalty and fear of reprisal helped)
- I Take Offense to That Last One: the only insult that actually seems to upset Janine is reference to one of her... previous lines of employment.
- It's All About Me: Janine Butcher will manipulate, con or even murder for her own self gain, all the while genuinely convinced she is Walford's purist Woobie forced into unscrupulous schemes by the cruel world around her.
- Gold Digger
- Morality Pet: Billy, Tiff, Whitney and Lydia are the most recent/longstanding examples.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds
Grant Mitchell (Ross Kemp)
- Abusive Parents: while Phil was their dad's preferred target, grant was on the receiving end too.
- Bald of Awesome
- Crazy Jealous Guy: Put his brother in a coma after discovering he had sex with his 1st wife Sharon, could get very jealous over his 2nd wife Tiffany despite not being in love with her, and went on the run from the law for violently beating the man who was sleeping with his 3rd wife Carla.
Diane Butcher (Sophie Lawrence)
Ricky Butcher (Sid Owen)
The Jackson Family
Carol Jackson (Lindsey Coulson)
- Mama Bear: Don't mess with her family. Just don't.
- Mrs. Robinson: She once slept with a guy, like 25 years younger.
- Really Gets Around: All her four children have different fathers.
- The Topicof Cancer: Has recently gone into remission after a long-running breast cancer storyline which also involved her daughters, Bianca and Sonia worrying if they carried the same cancer gene. Bianca didn't, Sonia did
- Will Theyor Wont They: Her and David Wicks. They've been one of the longest on-off couples on the show.
- They did.... then they didn't after Carol realised she didn't want to marry him after all
- Outliving One's Offspring: Son, Billie Jackson died of alcohol poisoning.
Bianca Jackson (Patsy Palmer)
Robbie Jackson (Dean Gaffney)
The Slater Family
Jean Slater (Gillian Wright)
The Cotton Family
Charlie Cotton (Declan Bennett)
- Disappeared Dad: Originally played straight but later subverted as it becomes clear Nick is aware of Charlie's actions and has played some part in his eldest sons life enough for Charlie to know him and address as 'Dad'.
- Dead Guy Junior: Averted although Charlie is named after his paternal grandfather given he is likely in his early thirties, Charlie Snr was very much alive in Charlie's early life.
- Dark Secret: Implied to be impersonating a policeman and that he knows more about his father, Nick's 'death'. His shady dealings with funeral director, Les Coker imply he's hiding something that could break poor Dot's heart.
- Surprise Pregnancy: Was definitely surprised to find he got Ronnie Mitchell pregnant. She turned up at his door, sporting a baby bump. The two look like they may have a potential spark.
- Impersonating an Officer: Appeared originally to be a Detective Constable however this was not the case: after Emma Summerhayes discovered this Charlie resorted to blackmail to keep her quiet.
The Moon Family
Kat Moon (Jessie Wallace)
- Alpha Bitch: Has her moments
- Broken Bird: Was sexually abused as a teenager by her uncle which resulted in a pregnancy. The child was Zoe. Is now recovering from severe burns from a housefire started by her husband, Alfie who only did it to get money from the insurance, not realising she was in the house at the time.
- The Lad-ette: Played up in her early days.
- Mama Bear: To Zoe. Her son, Tommy (Especially after he was abducted by Ronnie Mitchell) and the newborn twins
- Parental Substitute: To Shenice.
- Your Cheating Heart: Cheats on Alfie, with Derek. Was still married to Alfie when she slept with his cousin Michael and had his baby.
- You're Not My Mother
Alfie Moon (Shane Ritchie)
- Plucky Comic Relief
- Sad Clown: Sometimes.
- Nice Guy: Very Friendly to everyone
- Beware the Nice Ones:Especially when Kat cheated on him with Derek
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: After he realised Kat was in their home, which he had set alight for the insurance payout, he risked his life to save her, this was after he had been blown off his feet by an explosion triggered by Mo's dodgy haircare products
- Only Sane Man: During Stacey's return story, he was deeply concerned about the pregnant Kat and the legal convictions which could occur by assisting a wanted criminal
- Odd Couple: With Heterosexual Life Partner Ian and later on with his Manipulative Bastard cousin Michael who seemed to actually like him despite sleeping with Kat and fathering Tommy
- Promotion to Parent: Alfie raised his much younger brother Spencer after the death of their parents with help from their paternal grandmother.
- Big Brother Instinct: Took a beating meant for Spencer by some gangsters.
- Big Second Cousin Instinct: Served prison time in place of his younger second cousins Jake and Danny when they committed credit card fraud.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Ian Beale, the pair became firm friends after Alfie arrived in Walford in 2004, one's a conman and a near bigamist with a criminal record and the other's a serial spouse with the habit of been a miser they are the best friend either man has ever had.
- My God, What Have I Done?: After he set his family home alight for the insurance payout, unknowingly to him, Kat was in the house and his heartbroken reaction to her severe burns as a result has to seen to be believed
Michael Moon (Steve John Shepherd)
- Aloof Big Brother: To Anthony and Tyler.
- Berserk Button: Mentioning his mother's death.
- The Chessmaster
- Dark and Troubled Past
- Killed Off for Real
- Manipulative Bastard
- The Sociopath
- Morality Pet: Alfie served as this as he was happy to let Alfie raise Tommy as his own son referring to Tommy as "Alfie's boy" mostly every chance he got. Also on the night of his murder Michael bid a fond farewell to Alfie and Alfie was devastated by his death.
The Hubbard Family
Claudette Hubbard (Ellen Thomas)
- Apron Matron: Is this for the Fox-Hubbard household.
- Dark Secret: Her family have had a long-lasting grudge between the Mitchells for about 30 years.
- She made all of that up just to cover up the truth: instead of Eric Mitchell murdering her husband, she pulled it off herself accidentally.
Gavin Sullivan (Paul Nicholas)
- Cold-Blooded Torture: Gavin done this to Phil by kidnapping him for days unless Kathy gave him a certain amount of money. At the end of all this, it's revealed he was exploiting Phil's addiction to alcohol once again.
- Faux Affably Evil
- Luke, I Am Your Father: To Sharon. "Hello, princess!"
- The Reveal: Appeared out of the blue, thought to have been dead along with Kathy but feigned that just to travel to South Africa and gain more money for himself.
The Wicks Family
Dean Wicks (Matt DiAngelo)
- Date Rape: Spiked Stacey Slater's drink at a house party and proceeded to blame it on Bradley Branning. Nothing happened to Stacey but the drink was still spiked.
- Rape Discretion Shot: When Dean rapes his aunt, Linda Carter the actual rape isn't shown; just poor Linda's stunned face. Granted the show is pre-watershed
- Parental Issues: His dad, Kevin died in a car crash. His mother, Shirley left the family when Dean, his sister Carly and their older brother Jimbo were young. Jimbo died whilst Shirley was absent. Dean is still trying to come to terms with being reunited with his mother and letting her back into his life. That is until she shot Phil Mitchell and left him AGAIN
- Self-Serving Memory: Like many real life rapists, he genuinely believes his victim consented.
Vincent Hubbard (Richard Blackwood)
- Cruel to Be Kind: When the going gets tough. He doesn't bother mentioning Fatboy's death to Dot and instead makes up an excuse that he's in Ibiza. Complete with him sending fake postcards.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Has been trying to take down the Mitchells ever since because of an incident involving Phil’s father Eric murdering Vincent’s dad.
- Death Glare: Gives a lot of these.
- Matricide: Very nearly. Has to be stopped from choking Claudette to death after finding out she manipulated him the whole time about his father's death.
- The Reveal: The same guy who met Kim in a cruise and got her pregnant and also provided Ronnie with the gun she had previously.
- Scary Black Man: When he's up to dodgy things.
Patrick Trueman (Rudolph Walker)
Ryan Malloy (Neil McDermott)
- Mr. Fanservice: They really loved to have him in as little clothing as possible. One example; on his stag night he randomly decides to take all of his clothes off in public and proceeds to run around giving the audience a view of his bare naked bottom.
- Put on a Bus
Jordan Johnson (currently Joivan Wade, before Michael-Joel David Stuart)
- Freudian Excuse: Due to his father Lucas being in prison, he has spent most of his teenage life causing trouble and getting involved in gangs.
Carl White (Daniel Coonan)
- Abusive Parents: His mother still abuses him.
- Domestic Abuse: Used to hit Kirsty.
- Killed Off for Real: Ronnie does him in.
DC Emma Summerhayes (Anna Acton)
- Fair Cop
- Forbidden Fruit: Max Branning is this to her due to his part in the Lucy Beale murder investigation. She goes there anyway.
- Killed to Uphold the Masquerade: Figured out the identity of Lucy's killer, but died under unrelated circumstances before she could tell the police.
- Police Are Useless: The Beale family more than likely think this of her now her affair with Max Branning is in the open.
Fiona 'Tosh' Mackintosh (Rebecca Scroggs)
- Lipstick Lesbian
- Domestic Abuse: Implied to have been abusive towards girlfriend, Tina Carter. Was shown on-screen to push her into a door frame during an argument and cutting her eyebrow.
- All Lesbians Want Kids: Her and Tina save up for artifical insemination. After Tosh miscarries, Tina's cousin Dean suggests using his sperm to impregnate Tosh whilst they were drinking.
Aleks Shirovs (Kristian Kiehling)
- What the Hell Is That Accent??: Aleks is Latvian. The actor portraying him is German-Latvian.
- Secret Relationship: Aleks left his wife and daughter in Latvia to come to London. His girlfriend, Roxy Mitchell has no idea they exist. They end up turning up in the square, forcing Tamwar Masood to lie to Roxy. Aleks and his wife are still attracted to each other and sleep together in the market office.
Lola Pearce (Danielle Harold)
- Kissing Cousins: Actually a bit more than that; Lola's third cousin Ben is the father of her daughter Lexi.
- Teen Pregnancy: Her first storyline involved her finding out she was pregnant at age 15.
- Took a Level in Kindness: Though originally hard faced and troublesome, Lola has matured and is now generally quite nice.
- She still has her moments where she panics over her motherhood and does some stupid things, but now she is generally nowhere near as fiery as before and keeps a level head. This is most evident where Bianca doesn't pay her immediately, thinking she talked Morgan and Tiffany out of their staple food.
- Mama Bear: Would do anything for her daughter, Lexi. Even attempting to kidnap her when she was threatened by social services.
Arthur Chubb 'Fatboy' (Ricky Norwood)
- Claustrophobia: Revealed when he was locked up by Vincent in a closet overnight. Horrible end to his life when he got involved in Vincent and Ronnie's Hubbard/Mitchell conflict because he was accidentally locked inside the boot of a car, triggering his fear of closed spaces. Since nobody heard him (except Ronnie but she thought he was Vincent) he eventually suffocated to death, and after that the car got sent to the scrapyard and crushed along with his body inside.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: You wouldn't expect a Plucky Comic Relief like Fatboy to be killed off by being crushed inside a boot of a car...
- Jive Turkey
- Odd Friendship: As his character profile on the BBC EastEnders website states thusly: "You might expect his best mate to be an Asbo-wielding ex-con, but it is in fact bible-bashing octogenarian Dot Branning, who prefers to address him by his real name. She teaches him biblical tracts, he teaches her street lingo. It's a beautiful relationship"
- Nice Guy: Under all that 'street lingo' is a kind hearted young gentleman who willingly stood up against Whitney's pimp Rob Grayson and befriended Dot Branning whom he affectionately calls "Mrs B".
- Beware the Nice Ones: But don't take him for granted, after he discovered Whitney had cheated on him with Tyler Moon, he hunted Tyler down and punched him to the ground. He also did not take his father's meddling in his best friend Mercy's life well.
Mo Harris (Laila Morse)
- Honest John's Dealership: Her mate, Fat Elvis, can get ANYTHING.
- Out of Focus: In 2013, she's only appeared in two episodes.
Dexter Hartman (Khali Best)