open/close all folders
The Black Organization serves as the main antagonist in the series. It is a secret syndicate that commits a number of crimes for various reasons which range from blackmail to robberies to assassinations.Mandatory naming note: All of the codenames are related to alcoholic beverages.
- Animal Motifs: The Organization is associated with crows.
- Immortality Seeker: It's implied that the Black Organizations research, specifically that which Ai was involved with, was centered around a way to become immortal.
- Professional Killer: Ai mentions that they fund themselves by doing assassinations.
- There's No Kill Like Overkill: Ai mentions they have no problem killing people that find them and all of their friends and family to stay hidden. One time they blew up part of an entire building just to keep a possible leak from occurring.
- Undying Loyalty: Despite being composed of the most dangerous and amoral characters in the series the members are shown as dedicated to the organization's prosperity as a whole and at least embrace each other as comrades. Vermouth not having this for other members of the group is one reason she is hated by them.
- You Have Failed Me: Despite the Undying Loyalty mentioned above the organization will kill anyone who doesn't follow the rules, regardless of how much personal merit that member may have. Vermouth is the one exception to this rule and even she can't get away with outright defying their boss.
The leader of the Black Organization.
- Big Bad: He's the one running the Organization and supposed to be the Moriarty to Shinichi's Holmes.
- Crazy-Prepared: According to Vermouth.
- Expy: The Moriarty to Shinichi's Holmes.
- He Who Must Not Be Seen: His identity has yet to be revealed.
- Japanese Pronouns: "Ano kata" is an extremely respectful gender-neutral third-person pronoun.
Voiced by Yukitoshi Hori (JP); Troy Baker (EN), Eduardo Bulnes (first Latin-American Spanish dub), Matías Gallardo (third Latin-American Spanish dub), Kuranosuke Sasaki (Live-Action Drama Actor)One of the Black Organization's most dangerous operatives (arguably the most dangerous one of those that have been introduced), and the one who is unknowingly responsible for Shin'ichi's current "vertically challenged" condition.Dub Name Change: Melkior.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: Gin is the most dangerous agent of the Organization we have seen so far and also appears to be one of the highest-ranked, as most other members are shown to defer to him and he can threaten even Vermouth without repercussions.
- Badass Longcoat: Pretty much his iconic outfit.
- But for Me, It Was Tuesday: Makes a point of not remembering the faces of the people he kills. This occasionally becomes a handicap, such as when he doesn't remember Shinichi Kudo.
- Cool Car: Drives a black vintage Porsche 356A.
- Death Glare: In episode 176 (Reunion with the Black Organization, Part 1), a driver attempted to call him out for jaywalking. It only took a brief moment of eye contact to end the argument before it even started.
- The Dragon: Gin is Anokata's most loyal and sharpest member.
- The Dreaded: Even the normally stoic Ai is downright terrified of him.
- Eyes Never Lie: Shinichi only had to look into his eyes to realize he was a cold-blooded killer.
- Good Eyes, Evil Eyes: Gin's eyes are narrow and often at least partially obscured by his black hat or his long hair. What's more, he has unique pupils: Most characters have either large, detailed anime pupils or just black dots, while Gin's pupils are small, devoid of highlights and drawn with an intermittent outline, giving him a very unnerving glare.
- Good Smoking, Evil Smoking: One of the most evil characters in the series and a regular smoker.
- The Heavy: Because the Boss is never seen, Gin is the main antagonist in most confrontations with the Black Organization. For one arc, Vermouth took over this role instead.
- Hero Killer: Kicks the series off by murdering the protagonist, who only survives through an absurd stroke of luck that Gin couldn't possibly predict. He came quite close to killing several other main characters as well, and is one of the most feared men in the series.
- Knight of Cerebus: Only shows up for the most serious and important cases.
- Looming Silhouette of Rage: Before he strikes down Shinichi with a metal pipe in the first chapter.
- Scars Are Forever: Gets a permanent scar when Shuuichi Akai grazes his cheek with a sniper bullet.
- A Sinister Clue: He is left-handed.
- Slasher Smile: How he usually smiles.
- The Sociopath: Can kill without remorse and doesn't even remember many of his victims.
- White Hair, Black Heart: He has silver hair, and is one of the most dangerous antagonists in the series.
- Wrong Genre Savvy: He can predict his enemies' motives and actions and make accurate deductions from even the tiniest detail, but has no idea that one of his opponents is a genius detective in the body of a six-year old. This leads him to make several grave mistakes, such as not looking for his enemy in places where no adult could possibly hide.
- Would Hurt a Child: Orders to kill Kogoro and Conan."Kill him...along with the kid..."
Voiced by Fumihiko Tachiki (JP); Kyle Hebert (TV series) and Christopher Sabat (movies) (EN), Carlos Valdés (third Latin-American Spanish dub), Taro Okada (Live-Action Drama Actor)Gin's partner.Dub Name Change: Kaspar.
- Dumb Muscle: The big idiot that Gin always has to help. However, Vodka has exceptional memory skill and thus one of the few people to actually remember that APTX4869 was used on Shinichi.
- Satellite Character: He is Gin's partner and is rarely seen doing anything on his own.
- Sunglasses at Night: Almost never seen without his glasses.
- The Watson: An evil version. Since's he considerably less intelligent and of lower rank than his partner, Gin can explain his plans and those of the Organization to Vodka (and therefore the audience) without having to talk to himself.
See Ai Haibara.
Voiced by Mami Koyama (JP), , Jessica Toledo (third Latin-American Spanish dub)
The lead female operative of the Black Organization. Unlike her colleagues, she prefers to work on her own agenda. However, her most recent activities have shown her willingly working along side Bourbon. She appears to be exceptionally skilled at impersonation, having successfully pretended the personae of Dr. Araide, Jodie Starling and Scar Akai throughout her work; her primary objective being to hunt down and kill Shiho Miyano (aka Ai Haibara). After the events of her story arc, she gains a soft-spot for Shinichi; believing that he is the real Silver Bullet, and not Akai, that will eventually destroy the Black Organization.Her known aliases are: aka Chris Vineyard aka Sharon Vineyard.
- Anime Accent Absence: For a supposedly American character, her Gratuitous English can get quite horrible.
- Attending Your Own Funeral: In a flashback, Chris Vineyard is shown giving the eulogy at her mother, Sharon Vineyard's, funeral. They're both the exact same person.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: The reason why Vermouth goes out of her way to protect Shinichi/Conan and Ran is because they both saved her life in New York even after she was about to kill them.
- The Bus Came Back: After being missing for a while, she reappears in 954... impersonating Azusa Enomoto.
- Catch Phrase: "A secret makes a woman woman," spoken in the most godawful heavily-accented Engrish imaginable ("A secret makes a ooman ooman"). One kid even lampshades this in an episode. After he meets Vermouth, he is questioned by Conan, and replies that it was a woman who kept on repeating the word "horse" (uma).
- Cain and Abel: Friends version, with Yukiko.
- Dartboard of Hate: Shown to have one, with a picture of pre-Apotoxin Haibara tacked on the dartboard with a giant "X" drawn over her face.
- Enigmatic Minion: Emphasis on the "enigmatic" part. This especially applies because of the unusual amount of interest Vermouth has in Shinichi, as well as the way she is clearly not always working in the Organization's best interest, and has some sort of hidden agenda.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Although the mysterious and beautiful criminal Vermouth has killed many people, she will not kill the protagonist, or his love interest; this probably has to do with the fact that they saved her life a year ago, and Conan is the son of Vermouth's friend Yukiko Kudo. Things get really interesting when Ran sneaks in the trunk of Jodie's car and tries to stop Vermouth; her mook immediately starts shooting, but Vermouth yells at him and tells him to stop shooting. As Ran protects Haibara, (whom Vermouth hates), Vermouth shoots around her, and tries to get her to release Haibara.
- Femme Fatale: Mysterious, seductive and dangerous, she got all in one package.
- Foreign Fanservice: Even moreso than Jodie.
- Good Smoking, Evil Smoking: Is seen lighting herself a cigarette when she's first revealed as a member of the Organization.
- Improbable Aiming Skills: She manages to shoot out the gas tank of a car with a small handgun while driving another car and looking in her rear-view mirror. As Akai remarks, she's very good.
- It's Not You, It's Me: When Ran recognizes Vermouth under her Azusa disguise and confronts her, she sadly tells her not to come into "her world".
- Latex Perfection: She did, after all, train under the same instructor as the other two Masters of Disguise, Yukiko and Kaito.
- Light Feminine and Dark Feminine: The series' prime example of Dark Femininity, especially when contrasted with Ran or Yukiko.
- Master of Disguise: Learned from the master, Toichi Kuroba, the first Kaitou KID.
- Meaningful Name: Her codename alludes to her relationship with Gin, as mixing Gin and Vermouth is the recipe for that most famous of cocktails, the Martini. Her real name, Vineyard, might also hold significance, seeing how all female agents of the Organization have wine-based beverages as their codenames.
- Ms. Fanservice: Occasionally seen to be wearing exposing sexy outfit.
- The Nicknamer: Refers to Shinichi/Conan as "Silver Bullet" and Ran as "Angel".
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: Sharon Stone.
- Older Than They Look: Vermouth is shown in a flashback set at least twenty years ago. She looks exactly the same as she does now when she kills Jodie's father. She also is impersonating her own daughter, having first been Sharon Vineyard and then assuming the identity of Chris Vineyard as of Sharon's funeral.
- Pet the Dog: A little gem. She put her coat on Conan to keep him warm before she escaped.
- Phenotype Stereotype
- Secret Keeper: Down to her Catch Phrase. She is also one of the few people who know that Conan is really Shinichi, as well as Haibara's real identity.
- Woman in Black: Wears black both in her secret and her public identity.
- Woman of a Thousand Voices: Vermouth is able to mimic anyone's appearance and voice exactly with her disguise and acting skills even after observing them for only a short period of time.
Voiced by: Masako Katsuki as Masami the schoolgirl and later by Sakiko Tamagawa (JP), Betsabé Guitérrez (third Latin-American Spanish dub)A rather sympathetic member of The Syndicate. Akemi is Ai Haibara/Shiho Miyano's dead older sister, having been murdered by the Syndicate.Dub Name Change: Kendra.
- Anti-Villain: Type I or II.
- Ascended Extra: Got an additional TV episode to herself to fix any plotholes coming from her early appearance.
- Bowdlerize: Her death in the manga had her bleeding quite a bit and coughing up EVEN MORE blood in front of Ran and Conan. This was seriously toned down in the anime.
- Broken Bird: Being in the Organization really didn't do any good to her emotional state, and she's said to have a very sad aura by Akai
- Children Are Innocent: As a little girl, Akemi's innocent smile quenched a Killer of the Week's thirst for murder years ago. He was hoping for her to visit him once more and dissuade him again, but she was killed before she could return.
- Cool Big Sis: For Shiho, as seen in the flashback. Akemi had constantly tried to encourage the studious and workaholic Shiho to relax and find herself a boyfriend.
- Dark Chick: To the Organization, since she is a member with limited physical skills as far as the audience is aware but has strong emotions and just as strong emotional ties to some members.
- Died in Your Arms Tonight: Conan's, in both anime and manga.
- Even Evil Has Standards: In her first anime episode, she was very disgusted when one of her accomplices, Okita, tricked her into killing another (Akira Hirota) with poison. She was even more pissed when she learned Okita wanted to off her as well. It's similar in the manga, when she screams at Gin and Vodka for their similar action.
- Knight Templar Big Sister: She did the robbery because the Organization promised her to release Shiho from their control. Of course, Gin made sure to know he has no interest keep said promise.
- Manipulative Bitch: Very, very good at making herself look sweet and unassuming. She's not.
- Master of Disguise: Disguised as high school girl in her introductory case.
- Meganekko: Wears glasses as part of her disguise at first.
- Mixed Ancestry: Like her younger sister, Ai Haibara/Shiho, Akemi is half-English (mother's side) and half-Japanese (father's side).
- Necessarily Evil: Only worked for the Organization so they would let her and her little sister go. Of course, they were just using her all along.
- Nice Girl: Akemi had a friendly, cheerful and outgoing personality and a good sense of humor.
- Punch Clock Villain: Unlike her sister, she had a normal life outside the Organization.
- Older Than They Look: She was good enough at disguises to make herself pass as a schoolgirl in her first appearance, despite being at least in her mid-20's.
- Out-Gambitted: Subverted. Akemi met up with Gin and Vodka and told them they wouldn't kill her or they'd never know where she put the money she stole for them... but they shot her to death and took the key to the locker where she hid it. However, Akemi had the last laugh: said locker key was false, and she gave the real one to Conan before dying.
- Red Herring Shirt:
- When Akemi was killed, she was a mook. It was 16 volumes later when she was ascended into a Posthumous Character for being Ai Haibara's dead elder sister]], then being Shuichi Akai's girlfriend and The Lost Lenore, which caused some problems for the animators discussed in Schrödinger's Cast, below.
- As a result, this was less obvious in the anime: the episode where Akemi gets killed is the one immediately before the one where Haibara is introduced—yet Conan says in the latter episode that the Akemi case was "some time ago".
- Retirony: In both anime and manga, she had intended to leave the Syndicate alongside Shiho and definitely get together with her boyfriend Akai as soon as she made a last robbery for the group. The Syndicate thought otherwise.
- Schrödinger's Cast: The infamous anime fixup, as the anime adaptation of the relevant chapters (episode 12) changed the end to made her not a mook of the Dark Organization and she was kept alive, but since she needs to die for Ai's backstory to continue, an original episode (episode 128) was made before Ai's appearance at 129 so that she's Killed Off for Real.
- She Knows Too Much: Another probable reason for her murder. As the sister to Sherry (top scientist of the Black Org.) and the lover to Akai (who was The Mole in the organization), she probably would be able to leak info to the FBI or others.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: She and her former lover, Shuichi Akai.
- Walking Spoiler - You Should Know This Already: Can we stop spoilering her identity?
- Woman in White: In her second anime episode she wore a very light-colored, almost white Office Lady suit. And then, she died.
Atsushi and Elena Miyano
- Voiced by: Hiroko Suzuki (Elena)
- All of the Other Reindeer: Atsushi was a “mad scientist” who was unpopular in the scientific community because his work and theories were not mainstream.
- Emotionless Girl: Elena gave this impression to Agasa and others.
- He Who Must Not Be Seen: We have not yet seen Atshushi's face.
- Hidden Eyes: Elena's eyes are not visible beneath her reflecting glasses.
- Hidden Depths: Ai has never known them, but after meeting Conan's loving mother Yukiko she becomes bothered by the fact that her own parents both had an extremely unflattering reputation. She later finds out they were better people than commonly thought:
- Atsushi was rejected by the scientific community as a deranged mind, but Agasa claims he was an open and friendly man when he met him.
- Elena was known as "Hell's Angel" in the Organization and appeared cold and unapproachable even to Agasa. Turns out she was also a warm and caring mother: Before she died, she recorded 20 tapes for Ai, one for each of her first 20 birthdays, so that Elena could be close to her daughter on her way to adulthood.
- Also, it's strongly implied that Elena may have had an Inter Generational Friendship with a then very young Tooru Amuro.
- Ice Queen: Elena had this reputation even within an Organization full of unrepentant killers.
- Mad Scientist: Atsushi's peers thought he was this. The fact that he was apparently brillant and immoral enough to join the most dangerous criminal organization in the world and take on their most important research project lends credence to this, but we ultimately don't know his reasons or the goal of his research yet.
- Posthumous Character: Both of them died long before the present story. Elena left tapes to Ai, however, which may or may not turn out to contain significant secrets.
- Scary Shiny Glasses: In the few pictures we have seen of Elena, she sports these.
- Sugar And Ice Girl: What Elena actually was, as seen in both the tapes and Amuro's flashbacks about her, where she doesn't berate him for picking up fights with other kids, and tends to his bruises gently instead.
- Voiced by: Kosei Hirota (JP); Andrew T. Chandler (EN)
- Dropped a Bridge on Him: Got killed by a bomb by mistake.
- Kansai Regional Accent: His accent is so recognizable even by other characters than Conan.
- Kick the Dog: Hits Conan for slowing him down.
- Would Hurt a Child: When Conan pretended he dropped a 10 yen coin that had fallen beneath Tequila's shoe and really tried to stick a transmitter and bug on the sole of his shoe, Conan was hit hard by Tequila for annoying him. This shows Tequila has an impatient personality and isn't afraid to hit young children.
One of the many snipers hired by the Organization with a soft-spot for Vermouth. He commits suicide over being taken into custody by the FBI.
- Better to Die than Be Killed: Having been injured by Akai and about to be taken into custody, he killed himself to avoid capture and a posterior "You Have Failed Me".
- Cold Sniper: Fits this trope as much, to the point that he has no lines in his only appearance.
- The Faceless: His face is never really shown in his actual physical appearance. It's only shown later posthumously in a flashback from Chianti.
- Forgotten Fallen Friend: Vermouth doesn't seem to care about his death. Chianti and Korn, however, do not forget him and resent their group for "letting him die"
- Subordinate Excuse: Seemed to have feelings for Vermouth.
- Sunglasses at Night: In a flashback from Chianti, he's seen with sunglasses. So he presumambly wore them in the night of his death.
- Villainous Friendship: Seems to have decent friendship with Chianti and Korn because both of them share their hatred on Vermouth for leaving Calvados to die.
- Voiced by: Yasuo Muramatsu
- Death by Secret Identity: Gin killed Pisco before he had the chance to tell him that Shiho is shrunk into a body of little girl.
- Evil Old Folks: Probably one of the oldest members in the Organization.
- Good Smoking, Evil Smoking: Another member of the Organization who enjoys the occasional cigarette. This turns out to be his undoing when he stands in a puddle of high proof liquor and the fumes catch fire, allowing Ai and Conan to escape from him.
- You Have Failed Me: Was killed by the Black Organization because he was caught on photos while killing a politician.
Voiced by Kikuko Inoue (JP)The wild and aggressive assassin of the Organization.
- Blood Knight: Compared to Calvados and Korn who are Cold Snipers, she's more Hot-Blooded in her job.
- Butterfly of Death and Rebirth: The tattoo on her face is shaped like a butterfly, and she's a trigger-happy Dark Action Girl who likes killing peple.
- Dark Action Girl and Dark Chick
- Facial Markings: A tattoo under her left eye
- Kick the Dog: Willing to shoot civilians for the heck of it.
- The Gunslinger: She serves the Organization as their sniper.
- Trigger Happy: Comments that if Gin takes too long to decide whether she should shoot the target, she'll do it regardless of his orders.
- Villainous Friendship: Seems to have decent friendship with Calvados and Korn because she and Korn share their hatred on Vermouth for leaving Calvados to die.
- Woman in Black: Almost never seen without her black jumpsuit.
- Voiced by: Hiroyuki Kinoshita
- Voiced by: Yuji Mikimoto
- Big Ol' Eyebrows: Spiky, thick ones.
- Canon Foreigner: Only appeared in the 13th non-canon movie.
- Death by Secret Identity: He knows Conan is Shinichi. Guess what happens to him.
- Genius Bruiser: Irish seems quite smart, and endowed with deduction skills, as he manages to find out that Conan is actually Shinichi relatively quickly when he has only met him once. He's also a capable martial arts fighter whose strong body can count on well-mastered battle techniques. He single-handedly knocks out six police officers and a security employee, although it is very likely he hit them from behind. In addition, he is able to stand up to Ran in a hand-to-hand fight, defeating her after a balanced confrontation, though his winning strike may have relied on the element of surprise.
- Master of Disguise: Impersonates Matsumoto.
- Noble Demon: He at least claims to be one, saying that he wants revenge for his old friend Pisco's death. It doesn't stop him from beating up Ran and Conan, though.
- Taking the Bullet: Conan tried to save an already wounded Irish, but Gin saw him and shot at him. Irish protected Conan, took the bullet and then kicked it, his Famous Last Words being a sort-of challenge to Conan/Shinichi: "Shinichi Kudo... keep coming after us!"
- Would Hurt a Child: Has no qualms over beating up Conan.
- Would Hit a Girl: Beats up Ran bloody.
See Rena Mizunashi.
See Shuuichi Akai.
See: Tooru Amuro..
- Number Two: Supposed to be this in the Organization, apparently in a higher rank than even Vermouth or Gin.
- Secret Identity: It's only known for certain that he's a man, he lacks an eye and uses a cane. So far, there are two men in the cast that fit in such a description: Chief Hyoue Kuroda from Nagano Police's first division, and his subordinate Inspector Kansuke Yamato.
- Voiced by: Hikaru Midorikawa note
- Cynicism Catalyst: He's this to Shuichi Akai, Tooru Amuro and Sera Masumi.
- Famous Last Words:"I'm sorry, Furuya. They've found out I'm PSB. It looks like the only way out is the other world... Goodbye, Rei!"
- Posthumous Character: He died quite a while ago. He was a Reverse Mole like Akai/Rye and Amuro/Bourbon, and his death is the incident that threw the massive wrench between them. Akai found out that he was a Reverse Mole as well and tried to sway him to his cause, but then Scotch commited suicide in a desperate attempt to cover his tracks; Amuro is deeply, deeply angry at Akai for having let hit happen.
- The Reveal: Scotch in a flashback of chapter 937. Said 'back shows that he was friends with Amuro from before they became reverse moles, and it also includes a pre-teen Sera who seems to have seen him as a Big Brother Mentor. He didn't know Akai until the moment of his death, presumably because Akai lived in the USA for a long time.
- Voiced by: Naoki Tatsuta (JP); Barry Yandell (EN)
- Anti-Villain: Toyed with. While he has commited many crimes, the story often plays him up more as a frightened victim with animalistic reactions who kills when he cracks under pressure, rather than a fully malicious Monster who kills For the Evulz. OTOH, Haibara openly says he shouldn't be pitied as he's just too crazy to handle and did kill others for the heck of it.
- Beard of Sorrow: More like Beard of Psychosis.
- Expository Hairstyle Change: We see him well-shaved and with short hair in an old photo. We "meet" him with a Beard of Sorrow and longer hair. And in his last appearance when he's in the forest with Mitsuhiko, his hair has grown past his shoulders.
- Friend to All Living Things: Having lived near a forest when he was a child, he likes animals quite a lot. Specially fireflies, whom Numabuchi considers "his friends".
- Kick the Dog: In the Naniwa Murder case, he tries to stab Ran to escape when cornered. Conan took the hit for her and was barely saved due to a Pocket Protector that Heiji loaned him.
- Knife Nut: Stabbed Conan with knife almost fatally.
- Looks Like Cesare: Pale skin, black hair, hollow eyes...Genta: So we have to search for someone who looks like a skeleton?
- Pet the Dog: When finally caught by the police, he doesn't offer resistance and simply asks them to turn off their lights... since the fireflies will get scared. It turns out he wanted to see the forest of his childhood and the fireflies one last time before being executed for his deeds.
- Psychopathic Manchild: Many of his reactions to danger can be seen as childish.
- Red Herring: Invoked. Yusuke Sakata wanted to use them as one by killing and then framing him for the murders that he commited, since Numabuchi was involved in his father's death.
- Psycho for Hire: Was supposed to be this in the Organization, but was just too psychotic despite his physical strength and inhuman reflexes.. He was then slated to be the guinea pig for the APTX 4869, but that sent Numabuchi into a psychotic breakdown (again) and he ran away, killing several people in his crazy escape.
- Villainous B.S.O.D.: Has many of these.
- Voiced by: Mitsuo Iwata
- Driven to Suicide: He killed himself when he realized he couldn't escape the FBI during a car pursuit.
- Elite Mook: He's not a high enough operative to have his own codename, but still played a pivotal role during the Kir arc.
- Posthumous Character: Despite his small role, his death plays a part in the story as Bourbon searches for his whereabouts.
- Red Herring: Andre Camel was thought to be the actual Black Organization spy before Rikumichi's reveal.