open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- A perfect example of this is performed by Hijikata Toshizou in the 15th episode of Peacemaker Kurogane.
- Sgt. Frog:
- In episode 5, Natsumi displays this after Keroro hits her up for a loan. Heck, she does it in the title sequence!
- In Volume 17 of the manga, Keroro pulls off one that scares the crap out of Zoruru.
- Keroro does this again to a Kiruru unit in Volume 20
- Tendō Sōun from Ranma ˝ often does this, when he isn't going for a Demon Head. His daughters (even Kasumi! but especially Akane) have mastered this technique to a level beyond his wildest dreams.
- Hazumu's mother does this every time Hazumu's father tries a Zany Scheme to be ecchi toward Hazumu in Kashimashi: Girl Meets Girl.
- Tina in a wedding dress in Ai Yori Aoshi.
- Shizuru in Mai-HiME, after Nao attacks Natsuki.
- Shin's mom in Crayon Shin-chan, episode 42.
- Professor Rowan, during the summer camp arc of Pokémon D/P Battle Dimension.
- Rather than exactly a silhouette, Mahou Sensei Negima! usually just uses a darkened version of the characters, but with all the other features of the trope. Example here.
- Serious example: In Hellsing, Seras gets a looming silhouette of rage when she becomes a true vampire and is about to slaughter Zorin Blitz and her mooks.
- Taken to Nightmare Fuel levels in One Piece where at Marineford Admiral Sakazuki manages to both be one and receive one: the first is when he is advancing on Luffy and Ace preparing to kill them and everyone else; the second after crossing a line killing Ace he turns around to meet a Silhouette of a very angry Whitebeard who is fully prepared to demonstrate why he is the most powerful being in the world. Complete with fitting music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqSRpAWJ6aU
- In one of the alternate covers of Monstress, Maika gets one of these - with her eyes glowing, no less.
- Life in Hell casts Binky as the Shadow Rabbit, every time Bongo does something to enrage him.
Films — Animation
- Phlegm Bile at the start of Monsters, Inc..
- The King of All Cosmos in Katamari Damacy, already a gigantic man, will throw his enormous silhouette over his pint-sized son if the Prince fails to complete a katamari according to specification. Made worse in the sequel, where he shoots laser beams from his eyes, and all the poor Prince can do is dodge. This is lampshaded a bit in the first game by watching the change in shape of the shadow he casts. Every third lightning flash shows him out of his customary "arms folded" pose and doing something silly. Sometimes even shadow puppets.
- More than once in El Goonish Shive.
- Misfile: Ash and Emily do not want Rumsiel bothering them right now.
- Something*Positive provides the page image.
- Used in an awesome Splash Panel in Dubious Company after Tiren sobers up from Mary's humiliating arrest.
- A textbook example from Roommates. Jareth really shouldn't do a magic lecture when the others want him to teleport the group out of Oz.
- Used in Teen Titans when Beast Boy suggests he transform into a single cell and go inside Cyborg to fix his virus. They glare at him because Beast Boy caused the virus in the first place.
- Ms. Bitters from Invader Zim is so very good at this that some fans have posited it may be her native form.
- The "Cloaked Mystery Figure" from the Japanese opening of Transformers Animated.