open/close all folders
Jade Chan/Zhu ChanJackie Chan's niece, who, after being accidentally banished to a weird pocket dimension, is turned back into her Queen of the Shadowkhan persona (though she still retains her personality) by a being named "The Cackler" and thrown into the Teen Titans world, where she ends up joining the HIVE school for villains (although not willingly). Her primary concern is how to get back home.
- Achilles' Heel: As part of her transformation, the three talismans Jade was carrying ended up attached to her body, and hitting or trying to remove them cause her a lot of pain.
- Anti-Villain: Type IV. She's a villain in name only, and would like to defect to the Titans.
- Bald Woman: After Taking the Bullet for Jinx all of her hair is burned off. And this is on top of having previously blown off her eyebrows by mistake in a lab accident.
- Baleful Polymorph: Is briefly turned into a monkey by Mumbo, as well as the Cackler turning her back into her Shadowkhan form.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: Thinks that her current situation is a result of her wishing for her life to be more adventurous back in her own world.
- Berserk Button: After her transformation and arrival in the TT universe, the stress of her situation and all the work she's doing at the HIVE has given her a number of these.
- Black Magician Girl
- Can't Hold His Liquor: One drink of ale (and it's not even the whole thing), leaves her half-conscious and wailing into a karaoke machine.
- Casting a Shadow: As part of being a Shadowkhan.
- Clingy Macguffin: The Talismans she had on her when she was moved between dimensions are now embedded in her body. Until she takes the bullet for Jinx, and Raven's separation spell violently rips them free.
- Combo Platter Powers
- Dark Is Not Evil
- Dark Magical Girl
- Dream Walker: Learns how to do this via astral projection.
- Empty Shell: After Taking the Bullet for Jinx, her mind is separated from her body, which is reduced to a mass of shadow.
- Even Evil Has Standards: From Raven's perspective.
- Evil Costume Switch: As required by HIVE rules. Her new outfit is basically a karate gi with a sorcerer's gown over it; this design was chosen to reflect her status as a Kung-Fu Wizard.
- Extreme Omnivore: Not only does she eat metal and wood, but she likes it. Jinx often jokes if she's related to goats.
- Eye Beams: Thanks to the Pig Talisman.
- Forced into Evil
- Foreign Language Tirade: Occasionally does this when angry, see Gratuitous Japanese.
- Genre Savvy: Partly due her other adventures, partly due to her knowledge of comics.
- Girls with Moustaches: When Jade tries to use a potion to try and regrow her eyebrows after a failed spell fried them off, she gets one.
- Gratuitous Japanese: Jade tends to slip into this when under duress. Presumably, this is due to the influence of her Shadowkhan side, seeing as she herself is Chinese.
- Groin Attack: Jade suggests this to Starfire when they're pummeling Mumbo.
- And she does it to the Master of Games later on.
- Guile Hero: Jade is intelligent and cunning, just like in canon.
- Hero with Bad Publicity: Due to her short temper during her interactions with the Titans and the random Jerk Ass civilians of Jump City, Jade ends up being labeled a public threat. And matters aren't helped any by her having to pretend to be a villain so that the HIVE doesn't kill her.
- Horny Devil: When she ages herself up.
- Hypocritical Humor: Derides ancient sorcerers for being quick to anger and holding grudges, when she has such a short temper and holds grudges against the Titans.
- Kung-Fu Wizard: As she points out, she's skilled in both magic and martial arts.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: After she ends up in the TT universe, Jade forgets running into the Cackler in his realm.
- Laser-Guided Karma: She lampshades this after BB hits her with an onion, thinking that it was karma for enjoying it so much when it happened to Tarakudo (though, as she quickly points out, he had it coming).
- Loss of Identity: Jade fears that she's becoming less and less like her old self. This only gets worse when she speaks with the Queen, who points out how comfortable she's become with some of the changes she's undergone.
- Luminescent Blush: When Jinx has to help her put on her new costume for the first time, she blushed so much it was almost neon against her skin.
- Magic Versus Technology: The source of her rivalry with Gizmo (and him being a jerk). Having to share a lab with him doesn't exactly help either.
- Mind over Matter: The Rooster Talisman gives her this power.
- Mundane Utility: Has used the Pig to heat up a potion on at least one occasion.
- My God, What Have I Done?: She freaks out when Kitten pushes her too far with her insults and blasts her with the Dragon Talisman, and is understandably mortified when she realizes that Kitten wasn't Made of Iron, and briefly worries that she killed her (she didn't).
- No Sell: During the period where she's magically aged into an adult, she's shown to shrug off things like a full force attack from a Green Lantern ring and taking a baseball bat to the head (which breaks the bat).
- Not Quite Dead: After Taking the Bullet for Jinx, she's reduced to a mass of shadow, and though she survives, the HIVE and Titans think her dead.
- Odd Friendship: With Jinx.
- Omniglot: Knows English, Chinese almost certainly (duh, she's from there), and apparently her Shadowkhan side gives here Japanese.
- Overnight Age-Up: Uses a magic staff based on Mad Mod's technology to steal Cyborg's age, making herself an adult. And then she reverses the process when she gets annoyed by it.
- Playing with Fire: The Dragon Talisman.
- Power Floats: Again, the Rooster Talisman.
- Power Incontinence: When she's magically aged up, her powers grow so strong she can barely control them.
- Psychic Block Defense: According to the author, her status as a higher Shadowkhan, her willpower, and a third factor (which he won't identify) allow her to No Sell Brother Blood's Mind Control.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Debates this trope with Beast Boy and Cyborg at one point, and denies it, pointing out that Cyborg himself has a glowing red eye, and he's not evil.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: When she finds herself facing Jon Stewart (of Justice League).
- Senseless Sacrifice: Her attempt at Taking the Bullet for Jinx does jack squat to stop the spell (and the spell frees Jinx from the Amulet that had been affecting her).
- Slasher Smile: Does this accidentally, due to her now-pointy teeth.
- Taking the Bullet: Does this for Jinx when Raven uses a spell to remove the Talisman of Hwan from her. Due to the unstable nature between Jade's human and Shadowkhan sides, this collapses her mind.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Jade delivers one to the Master of Games during their battle, in response to his claims that he always wins (which actually causes a minor Villainous Breakdown)."Yeah, because you stack the deck. And brag about beating up a girl who has already fought hard while you sit on the sidelines. I know real badasses, and you don't even come close to the list," Zhu Chan taunted."Enough of your impudence!" he commanded, firing a starbolt at her. She burst it with an optic blast."Sloppy. You may have a lot of power, but you didn't earn it. They may not have been smart, but at least they know their own power, idiot," Jade shook her head.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: The tomboy to Jinx's girly girl.
- Weaksauce Weakness: She has Oni's weakness to onions.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: There's an odd variation here, in that Jade was apparently traumatized by the experience the last time she was turned into a monkey, so she's understandably freaked out when it happens again.
The HIVE and other villains
- Ambition Is Evil: Wants power and respect.
- Big Eater: When using the Talisman of Hwan, her metabolism skyrockets. And even with all she starts eating, she still loses weight faster than she gains it.
- Cruel to Be Kind: Knocks out the aged-up Jade with a baseball bat when the latter is drunkly singing loudly in the HIVE's bar, because the alternative is the other annoyed patrons paying Gadjo to shut her up.
- Dark Magical Girl
- Girls with Moustaches: When Jinx laughs when Jade's attempt to regrow her singed-off eyebrows gives her one, Jade throws the potion in her face, causing the bad luck witch to get one nearly reaching her shoulders!
- Half-Human Hybrid: Claims her powers come from being 1/4 fey.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Has this after her Talisman of Hwan power trip, given how she treated Jade during it. Especially since it led to Jade Taking the Bullet for her.
- Odd Friendship: With Jade.
- This Is Your Brain on Evil: When using the Talisman of Hwan, she gets a massive power boost, but is left unstable and paranoid, in addition to it wrecking havoc on her body.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: The girly girl to Jade's tomboy.
- Villainous B.S.O.D.: She becomes deeply depressed after Jade's apparent death, neglecting her hygiene and seeking revenge on the Titans.
- Winds of Destiny, Change: She has bad luck powers, like in canon.
- The Talisman of Hwan supercharges this, taking her powers to Physical God levels.
- Bald of Evil: Tries to avert this by reworking Jade's mustache spell, but it doesn't work.
- Jaw Drop: Does this when Jade breezes through the first part of the HIVE entrance exam, Jinx making a wisecrack at his expense.
- Jerkass: A lot of the time.
- Magic Versus Technology: The source of his rivalry with Jade (and him being a jerk).
- Taking You with Me: Is about to do this to the tech villain Spencer after he allows Gadjo to get his time machine and activate it, fearing that he'd be Ret Gone. Luckily for Spencer, Gadjo came back.
- Worth It: Says this when Jade blasts him across a room for mocking her Arch-Enemy status with Beast Boy.
Brother BloodThe Headmaster of the HIVE and primary antagonist of the story (so far).
- Big Bad: Is the head of the HIVE and is trying to manipulate and corrupt Jade into a villain. Tarakudo usurps him and takes his place as Big Bad after escaping the mask.
- Evil Mentor: Tries to be to all his students, and really wants to be to Zhu Chan.
- Eviler Than Thou: Is on the "thou" from both Tarakudo and Slade in "Super Jinx".
- He's on the receiving end again in the next chapter when the Oni defeat him and his students and take control of the HIVE.
- Evil Old Folks
- Faux Affably Evil: Like in canon, he passes himself off as a charming old fellow, but really isn't.
- Light Is Not Good: Jinx lampshades this, saying his gold and white robes seem to represent their secondary meanings of greed and death.
- Manipulative Bastard: One of his major defining traits.
- Mind Control: Like in canon, though a number of factors make this a No Sell on Jade.
- The Starscream: Is a successful one, having overthrown the previous Headmistress of the HIVE at some point just prior to the start of the story.
- You and What Army?: Asks this of the Oni when they show up in the HIVE and demand obedience. They promptly summon their Shadowkhan armies.
GadjoA Romanian freelance mercenary who joined HIVE shortly before Jade. He's violent, and easy to get angry.
- Affably Evil: When he doesn't act like a psycho, he's pretty nice.
- Affectionate Nickname: Calls Jade "Little Shadow".
- Badass Normal: Described as big, bukly and very muscular, but doesn't seem to have any obvious powers. Still, he can fight against the Teen Titans on his own quite well.
- Berserk Button: According to him, they're: zombies, his brother, people messing with pie, and sending him text messages.
- Blood Knight: There's nothing he enjoys more than a fight. Well, expect pie.
- The Brute
- Combat Sadomasochist/Too Kinky to Torture: He gets electrocuted by Susano during the entrance exam fight, and laughs through it, and when he's later thrown into the Pit for a week, Mammoth comments that probably the only reason he doesn't break out early is because whatever goes on in there, he probably enjoys it.
- The Dreaded: Even other HIVE students fear him.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Gadjo believes fighting should be about fighting, not big speeches or special effects, like Susano was using in the entry exam.
- Evil Redhead
- Fantastic Arousal: Is seemingly turned on by the horns Jade gets when she's magically aged up.
- Genre Savvy: He takes it to Leaning on the Fourth Wall levels, when he states to Jinx that Jade can't be dead, because this is her story, and it's not over yet.
- Heads or Tails: When the Oni take over the HIVE, they tell him that he can either fight for them or against them, to which he responds by this trope, since either choice involves a lot of fighting, and he's a Blood Knight. He ends up doing the latter.
- Insane Troll Logic: Seems to believe that relationships, and civilization by extension, are based on women giving men sex in exchange for them taking out the trash.
- He eats the pie form of Mother Mae Eye because he felt she was an insult to pie.
- Noodle Incident: Being who he is, he tends to collect these kind of moments.
- Psycho for Hire
- Rapid Hair Growth: Somehow forces himself to grow a full handlebar mustache during his fight with the Sumo Khan general.
- Shipper on Deck: Ships Raven/Robin due to the above mentioned "logic" (and we use the term logic very loosely).
- Trademark Favorite Food: Pie.
- Worthy Opponent: Seems to view Jade as one, and she can't figure out if that means he wants to be her friend or he wants to kill her.
MacheteAnother HIVE student. A girl dressed in a camo suit that uses a weapon she's named after. She's Gadjo's teammate.
- Ax-Crazy: The reason she's paired with Gadjo.
- The Brute
- Clingy MacGuffin: Her suit appears to be fused to her body.
- The Speechless: While she can make sounds with her mouth, she doesn't speak.
- Ungrateful Bastard: Attacks Jade even though Jade had just busted her out of her cell!
SusanoAnother HIVE student.
- A God Am I: Claims to be the descendant of the Japanese god of the same name.
- Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy
- Fantastic Racism: Seems to hate Jade primarily because she's part Oni now. Though considering he's on a team with what seems to be a demon and a ghost, it may be just another way to let out his chronic rudeness.
- Jerkass: Unnecessarily rude towards everybody.
- Kick the Dog: Sends the comatose Jade into the shadow realm.
- Laser-Guided Karma: His constant mistreatment of Jade ultimately comes back to bite him when him throwing her into the Shadow Realm to die causes her to come back as Kagehime, backed by the Oni, who quickly enslave him and turn him into a geisha.
- Power of the Storm
- Original Character: He first appears in the story Jewel Of Darkness by the same author (in fact, part of his conversation in regards to the Missing Episode of that story implies this Susano and that Susano may be the same person). Confirmed by his last appearance, when he escapes back to his own dimension.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Takes advantage of a portal opened by the Oni's defeat to return to his own dimension (though he ends up in the One Piece universe first by mistake).
Captain HollywoodA teacher at the HIVE
- Drill Sergeant Nasty
- Dropped a Bridge on Him: Gets killed offscreen by a unicorn, and nobody much cares afterward.
- Killed Off for Real: Is gored to death by a unicorn.
- No Indoor Voice/Gale-Force Sound: Once yelled at Jade so loudly that it blew her hood back. She describes him "whispering" as just talking at normal person levels.
- Too Dumb to Live: Tried to strangle a unicorn, only to end up getting gored to death. It's even lampshaded in-universe.
Evil DickAnother HIVE student
- Batter Up: Fights with a monogrammed baseball bat.
- The Chew Toy: Seems to exist only to get beaten up.
- Unfortunate Names: Really, "Evil Dick"? He expects people to take that seriously?
- Unknown Rival: Cyborg can't even be bothered to remember his name.
The Amazing MumboA crazy magician.
- Ax-Crazy: In fact, Robin compares him to The Joker, and that it's lucky they can turn off his powers, whereas the Joker's only power is being the Joker.
- Baleful Polymorph: Turns Jade into a monkey.
- Large Ham
- Magicians Are Wizards: Has real magical power but with a stage magic theme.
- Politically Incorrect Villain: Has a habit of forcing female heroes (and villains) to be his assistants. During their battle, he changes Jinx's outfit to a classical magician's assistant outfit, which Jinx herself says is harassment.
The Master of GamesA being from another dimension who gather a number of female villains (and Raven) for a tournament, for his own ends.
- All Your Powers Combined: Like his canon counterpart, his plan for the Tournament of Villainesses was to absorb the powers of the losers.
- Filler Villain: Only shows up in one chapter.
- Groin Attack: Jade kicks him in the groin.
- How Do I Shot Web?: As Jade lampshades in her "The Reason You Suck" Speech, saying that while the female villains he stole the powers of may not have been that smart in some regards, they at least knew how to use their own powers effectively. The fact that she and Raven were able to win against him despite all the powers he had proves her point.
- Jerkass Genie: Offers a "wish" to the winner of the Tournament, but later reveals the wish was merely returning the winner home safely.
- Villainous Breakdown: Briefly falls apart when Raven pulls Jade out of his amulet, followed by Jade giving him a "The Reason You Suck" Speech, though he recovers quickly.
KittenThe daughter of the supervillain Killer Moth, she is abducted by the Master of Games for his tournament and ends up facing Jade, who quickly defeats her.
- Bullying a Dragon: Insulting the girl with fire powers who is currently holding you in a telekinetic grip and offered you a chance to say uncle without getting hurt? GREAT IDEA!
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Jade defeats her with no real effort.
- Emergency Transformation: Her father appears to be doing this to save her.
- Kick the Dog: Insults Jade viciously.
- Made of Iron: Subverted, as she is not as durable as the other foes that Jade has faced, something Jade lampshades.
- Overly Narrow Superlative:Master of Games: "Kitty, daughter of Killer Moth. The nastiest girl inů any high school in all of America!
- Too Dumb to Live: Insults Jade, who had defeated her with no real effort on her part, and ends up getting Dragon blasted. And unfortunately for her, she isn't Made of Iron.
- Whip It Good: Her weapon of choice in her battle with Jade was an energy whip.
Killer MothKitten's father, a supervillain who's name is synonymous with sub-par villainy. Has sworn revenge on Jade for wounding his daughter in the Tournament.
- Emergency Transformation: It is implied he is doing this to save his daughter
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: Swears revenge when his daughter is injured, as he deeply loves her.
Georgia SivannaThe daughter of one of Captain Marvel's enemies.
- The Cameo: Only appears as a minor character in the Tournament of Villainesses.
- Gadgeteer Genius
- Mad Scientist
- Magic Versus Technology: Faces off against Jinx in the tournament and defeats her due to the witch's overconfidence. Fights Raven in the next round and gets curbstomped.
TarakudoSomehow, Tarakudo seems to be active again, and is apparently trying to turn Jade to evil.
- Arc Villain: Is defeated and re-sealed at the end of the HIVE Arc.
- Big Bad: Like Blood, he's trying to manipulate and corrupt Jade, but is doing it subtly via her subconscious.
- Deal with the Devil: Makes a deal with the Queen, with himself in the role of the "devil".
- Even Evil Has Standards: Would have preferred Jade fell to darkness on her own, and thus doesn't think much of the Queen/Kagehime, who he sees as a pale imitation.
- Eviler Than Thou: When he catches Blood sneaking around Jade's mind, he quickly overpowers him and throws him out.
- And then his armies overpower Blood's forces and seize control of the HIVE, capturing Blood in the process.
- Fantastic Arousal: Is attracted to Jade's adult form, especially her horns.
- Hidden Villain: Doesn't directly show up as anything but a voice in his first few appearances, but it's fairly obvious to the readers who it is.
- Laser-Guided Karma: His constant mistreatment of Kagehime causes her to betray him.
- Manipulative Bastard: See More Than Mind Control.
- More Than Mind Control: Is trying to manipulate Jade into turning to darkness of her own free will."I will make the caged bird want to sing."
- Sealed Evil in a Can: Is working very hard to escape, via Jade. Ultimately succeeds via a deal with the Queen, only for her to sell him out to the Titans and re-seal him.
- Taking You with Me: As he's being re-sealed, tries to kill the treacherous Kagehime, only for Jinx to stop him.
SladeThe Titans' archenemy, who's taken an interest in Jade.
The Titans and other heroes
- Black and White Morality: According to Raven, he thinks that all villains are just the same.
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: After Jade takes the bullet for Jinx during a plan he ordered.
- It's All My Fault: Blames himself for Jade's apparent death, since it happened during a plan he ordered.
- Genki Girl: Hyper and energetic.
- Incorruptible Pure Pureness: Seems to be the reason why her chi is used in the transfer to break Tarakudo's hold on Kagehime.
- Fountain of Youth: Is temporarily turned back into a child by Jade stealing his age, but is returned to normal when Jade gets tired of being an adult and reverses the process.
- Insane Troll Logic: Decides that the only way to snap Robin and Raven out of their joint Heroic B.S.O.D. after Jade's apparent death is to lock them in a crate together, since that much angst will cancel itself out, like a negative times a negative equaling a positive. Surprisingly, he turns out to be right.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: When attempting to infiltrate the HIVE as "Stone", like in canon. Jade is stunned that no one else can see through it.
- Arch-Enemy: Jade declared Beast Boy hers after he nailed her with an onion.
- Meta Guy: Thinks that having an archnemesis makes him cooler.
- Politically Incorrect Hero: Has shown shades of political incorrectness at some points. Notable occasions include him referring to Jade as a midget (the other Titans lampshade this), saying glowing red eyes are a sign of evil (Jade denies it, points out that Cyborg's robot eye is red and he isn't evil), and saying Jade should have some sympathy for Mumbo because they are both blue-skinned magic users (which she points out doesn't make sense, saying it's like claiming BB is the Martian Manhunter's nephew, and accuses him of racial profiling). Though, to be fair, he did catch himself on that last one when he saw Jade's angry look.
- Strange Minds Think Alike: Is the only Titan to get Gadjo's Insane Troll Logic about romance (he even takes notes).
- Dark Is Not Evil: Repeatedly points out that she's not a villain and shouldn't be in the tournament.
- Friendly Enemy: Towards Jade and to a lesser extent Jinx at the end of the Tournament of Villainesses.
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: After Jade takes the bullet for Jinx for a spell she cast.
- It's All My Fault: Blames herself for Jade's apparent death, since she cast the spell that seemingly killed her.
The CacklerA mysterious entity Jade meets in a strange pocket dimension, who turns her back into a Shadowkhan and sends her to the Teen Titans universe, for as yet unclear reasons.
- Arch-Enemy: Apparently has one, but we know even less about him than we do about this guy.
- Greater Scope Villain: Possibly. He instigates the plot, and definitely gives off an antagonistic vibe, but not much is known about him yet.
- Hidden Agenda Villain: As stated above, it's unclear why he transformed and banished Jade, but the guy's definitely antagonistic.
- Humanoid Abomination: Is described as looking like a living scarecrow.
- Omnicidal Maniac: He wants something called "The Omega" to rise and destroy at least one world.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: Apparently, he dwells on an island in a strange pocket dimension.
- Talkative Loon: Spends more of his time during the encounter with Jade talking to himself than her.
The Queen of the Shadowkhan/KagehimeJade's alter ego who appeared for first time in the JCA episode of the same name, who's trying to slowly take over Jade again.
- Bald Woman: Gains this alongside Jade. She's not amused (though Tarakudo assures her that it will grow back).
- Also a case of Bald of Evil.
- Deal with the Devil: Makes a deal with Tarakudo to free him in exchange for being restored after Jade Taking the Bullet for Jinx reduces them to a feral shadow creature.
- Demoted to Dragon: After her deal with Tarakudo frees him.
- Enemy Within: She's Jade's.
- Evil Costume Switch: When Tarakudo grants her control, she dons a black kimono and kasa.
- Failed a Spot Check: Lampshades how she missed Tohru in a Shadowkhan outfit.
- God Save Us from the Queen!
- Horny Devils: Gains a small set of horns after her Deal with the Devil with Tarakudo.
- Mistreatment-Induced Betrayal: Ultimately sells out Tarakudo to the Titans due to him and the Generals constantly belittling her.
- Necessary Evil: According to herself, it's her that makes Jade to break the rules, even if it's for a good purpose.
- Super-Powered Evil Side
- Split-Personality Merge: She's aiming for this, since she realized that she's too Stupid Evil to be effective on her own.
- Tellingly, when Tarakudo engineers a Split Personality Takeover instead, she's not happy.
- Stupid Evil: By her own admission.
- Villain Has a Point: Jade is forced to admit that she has become rather used to some of the changes she's gone through, like her new Extreme Omnivore diet, but this only makes her more motivated to find a way to stop the Queen's plan.