Characters: A Shadow Of The Titans
open/close all folders
Jade Chan/Zhu Chan
Jackie Chan's niece, who, after being accidentally banished to a weird pocket dimension, is turned back into her Queen of the Shadowkhan persona (though she still retains her personality) by a being named "The Cackler" and thrown into the Teen Titans world, where she ends up joining the HIVE school for villains (although not willingly). Her primary concern is how to get back home.
- Achilles' Heel: As part of her transformation, the three talismans Jade was carrying ended up attached to her body, and hitting or trying to remove them cause her a lot of pain.
- Anti-Villain: Type IV. She's a villain in name only, and would like to defect to the Titans.
- Baleful Polymorph: Is briefly turned into a monkey by Mumbo, as well as the Cackler turning her back into her Shadowkhan form.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: Thinks that her current situation is a result of her wishing for her life to be more adventurous back in her own world.
- Berserk Button: After her transformation and arrival in the TT universe, the stress of her situation and all the work she's doing at the HIVE has given her a number of these.
- Black Magician Girl
- Can't Hold Her Liquor: One drink of ale (and it's not even the whole thing), leaves her half-conscious and wailing into a karaoke machine.
- Casting a Shadow: As part of being a Shadowkhan.
- Clingy Macguffin: The Talismans she had on her when she was moved between dimensions are now embedded in her body. Until she takes the bullet for Jinx, and Raven's separation spell violently rips them free.
- Combo Platter Powers
- Dark Is Not Evil
- Dark Magical Girl
- Dream Walker: Learns how to do this via astral projection.
- Empty Shell: After Taking the Bullet for Jinx, her mind is separated from her body, which is reduced to a mass of shadow.
- Even Evil Has Standards: From Raven's perspective.
- Evil Costume Switch: As required by HIVE rules. Her new outfit is basically a karate gi with a sorcerer's gown over it; this design was chosen to reflect her status as a Kung-Fu Wizard.
- Extreme Omnivore: Not only does she eat metal and wood, but she likes it. Jinx often jokes if she's related to goats.
- Eye Beams: Thanks to the Pig Talisman.
- Forced Into Evil
- Foreign Language Tirade: Occasionally does this when angry, see Gratuitous Japanese.
- Genre Savvy: Partly due her other adventures, partly due to her knowledge of comics.
- Girls with Moustaches: When Jade tries to use a potion to try and regrow her eyebrows after a failed spell fried them off, she gets one.
- Gratuitous Japanese: Jade tends to slip into this when under duress. Presumably, this is due to the influence of her Shadowkhan side, seeing as she herself is Chinese.
- Groin Attack: Jade suggests this to Starfire when they're pummeling Mumbo.
- And she does it to the Master of Games later on.
- Guile Hero: Jade is intelligent and cunning, just like in canon.
- Hero with Bad Publicity: Due to her short temper during her interactions with the Titans and the random Jerk Ass civilians of Jump City, Jade ends up being labeled a public threat. And matters aren't helped any by her having to pretend to be a villain so that the HIVE doesn't kill her.
- Horny Devil: When she ages herself up.
- Hypocritical Humor: Derides ancient sorcerers for being quick to anger and holding grudges, when she has such a short temper and holds grudges against the Titans.
- Kung-Fu Wizard: As she points out, she's skilled in both magic and martial arts.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: After she ends up in the TT universe, Jade forgets running into the Cackler in his realm.
- Laser-Guided Karma: She lampshades this after BB hits her with an onion, thinking that it was karma for enjoying it so much when it happened to Tarakudo (though, as she quickly points out, he had it coming).
- Loss of Identity: Jade fears that she's becoming less and less like her old self. This only gets worse when she speaks with the Queen, who points out how comfortable she's become with some of the changes she's undergone.
- Luminescent Blush: When Jinx has to help her put on her new costume for the first time, she blushed so much it was almost neon against her skin.
- Magic Versus Technology: The source of her rivalry with Gizmo (and him being a jerk). Having to share a lab with him doesn't exactly help either.
- Mind over Matter: The Rooster Talisman.
- Mundane Utility: Has used the Pig to heat up a potion on at least one occasion.
- My God, What Have I Done?: She freaks out when Kitten pushes her too far with her insults and blasts her with the Dragon Talisman, and is understandably mortified when she realizes that Kitten wasn't Made of Iron, and briefly worries that she killed her (she didn't).
- No Sell: During the period where she's magically aged into an adult, she's shown to shrug off things like a full force attack from a Green Lantern ring and taking a baseball bat to the head (which breaks the bat).
- Odd Friendship: With Jinx.
- Omniglot: Knows English, Chinese almost certainly (duh, she's from there), and apparently her Shadowkhan side gives here Japanese.
- Overnight Age-Up: Uses a magic staff based on Mad Mod's technology to steal Cyborg's age, making herself an adult. And then she reverses the process when she gets annoyed by it.
- Playing with Fire: The Dragon Talisman.
- Power Floats: Again, the Rooster Talisman.
- Power Incontinence: When she's magically aged up, her powers grow so strong she can barely control them.
- Psychic Block Defense: According to the author, her status as a higher Shadowkhan, her willpower, and a third factor (which he won't identify) allow her to No Sell Brother Blood's Mind Control.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Debates this trope with Beast Boy and Cyborg at one point, and denies it, pointing out that Cyborg himself has a glowing red eye, and he's not evil.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: When she finds herself facing Jon Stewart (of Justice League).
- Slasher Smile: Does this accidentally, due to her now-pointy teeth.
- Taking the Bullet: Does this for Jinx when Raven uses a spell to remove the Talisman of Hwan from her. Due to the unstable nature between Jade's human and Shadowkhan sides, this collapses her mind.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Jade delivers one to the Master of Games during their battle, in response to his claims that he always wins (which actually causes a minor Villainous Breakdown).
"Yeah, because you stack the deck. And brag about beating up a girl who has already fought hard while you sit on the sidelines. I know real badasses, and you don't even come close to the list," Zhu Chan taunted.
"Enough of your impudence!" he commanded, firing a starbolt at her. She burst it with an optic blast.
"Sloppy. You may have a lot of power, but you didn't earn it. They may not have been smart, but at least they know their own power, idiot," Jade shook her head.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: The tomboy to Jinx's girly girl.
- Weaksauce Weakness: She has Oni's weakness to onions.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: There's an odd variation here, in that Jade was apparently traumatized by the experience the last time she was turned into a monkey, so she's understandably freaked out when it happens again.
The HIVE and other villains
- Ambition Is Evil: Wants power and respect.
- Big Eater: When using the Talisman of Hwan, her metabolism skyrockets. And even with all she starts eating, she still loses weight faster than she gains it.
- Cruel to Be Kind: Knocks out the aged-up Jade with a baseball bat when the latter is drunkly singing loudly in the HIVE's bar, because the alternative is the other annoyed patrons paying Gadjo to shut her up.
- Dark Magical Girl
- Girls with Moustaches: When Jinx laughs when Jade's attempt to regrow her singed-off eyebrows gives her one, Jade throws the potion in her face, causing the bad luck witch to get one nearly reaching her shoulders!
- Half-Human Hybrid: Claims her powers come from being 1/4 fey.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Has this after her Talisman of Hwan power trip, given how she treated Jade during it. Especially since it led to Jade Taking the Bullet for her.
- Odd Friendship: With Jade.
- This Is Your Brain on Evil: When using the Talisman of Hwan, she gets a massive power boost, but is left unstable and paranoid, in addition to it wrecking havoc on her body.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: The girly girl to Jade's tomboy.
- Winds of Destiny, Change: She has bad luck powers, like in canon.
- The Talisman of Hwan supercharges this, taking her powers to Physical God levels.
- Bald of Evil: Tries to avert this by reworking Jade's mustache spell, but it doesn't work.
- Jaw Drop: Does this when Jade breezes through the first part of the HIVE entrance exam, Jinx making a wisecrack at his expense.
- Jerkass: A lot of the time.
- Magic Versus Technology: The source of his rivalry with Jade (and him being a jerk).
- Worth It: Says this when Jade blasts him across a room for mocking her Arch-Enemy status with Beast Boy.
The Headmaster of the HIVE and primary antagonist of the story (so far).
- Big Bad: Is the head of the HIVE and is trying to manipulate and corrupt Jade into a villain.
- Evil Mentor: Tries to be to all his students, and really wants to be to Zhu Chan.
- Evil Old Folks
- Faux Affably Evil: Like in canon, he passes himself off as a charming old fellow, but really isn't.
- Light Is Not Good: Jinx lampshades this, saying his gold and white robes seem to represent their secondary meanings of greed and death.
- Manipulative Bastard: One of his major defining traits.
- Mind Control: Like in canon, though a number of factors make this a No Sell on Jade.
- The Starscream: Is a successful one, having overthrown the previous Headmistress of the HIVE at some point just prior to the start of the story.
A Romanian freelance mercenary who joined HIVE shortly before Jade. He's violent, and easy to get angry.
- Affably Evil: When he doesn't act like a psycho, he's pretty nice.
- Badass Normal: Described as big, bukly and very muscular, but doesn't seem to have any obvious powers. Still, he can fight against the Teen Titans on his own quite well.
- Berserk Button: According to him, they're: zombies, his brother, people messing with pie, and sending him text messages.
- Blood Knight: There's nothing he enjoys more than a fight. Well, expect pie.
- The Brute
- Combat Sadomasochist/Too Kinky to Torture: He gets electrocuted by Susano during the entrance exam fight, and laughs through it, and when he's later thrown into the Pit for a week, Mammoth comments that probably the only reason he doesn't break out early is because whatever goes on in there, he probably enjoys it.
- The Dreaded: Even other HIVE students fear him.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Gadjo believes fighting should be about fighting, not big speeches or special effects, like Susano was using in the entry exam.
- Evil Redhead
- Fantastic Arousal: Is seemingly turned on by the horns Jade gets when she's magically aged up.
- Insane Troll Logic: Seems to believe that relationships, and civilization by extension, are based on women giving men sex in exchange for them taking out the trash.
- Psycho for Hire
- Shipper on Deck: Ships Raven/Robin due to the above mentioned "logic" (and we use the term very loosely).
- Trademark Favorite Food: Pie.
- Worthy Opponent: Seems to view Jade as one, and she can't figure out if that means he wants to be her friend or he wants to kill her.
Another HIVE student. A girl dressed in a camo suit that uses a weapon she's named after. She's Gadjo's teammate.
Another HIVE student.
A teacher at the HIVE
Another HIVE student
The Amazing Mumbo
A crazy magician.
- Ax-Crazy: In fact, Robin compares him to The Joker, and that it's lucky they can turn off his powers, whereas the Joker's only power is being the Joker.
- Baleful Polymorph: Turns Jade into a monkey.
- Large Ham
- Magicians Are Wizards: Has real magic but with a stage magic theme.
- Politically Incorrect Villain: Has a habit of forcing female heroes (and villains) to be his assistants. During their battle, he changes Jinx's outfit to a classical magician's assistant outfit, which Jinx herself says is harassment.
The Master of Games
A being from another dimension who gather a number of female villains (and Raven) for a tournament, for his own ends.
- All Your Powers Combined: Like his canon counterpart, his plan for the Tournament of Villainesses was to absorb the powers of the losers.
- Filler Villain: Only shows up in one chapter.
- Groin Attack: Jade kicks him in the groin.
- How Do I Shoot Web: As Jade lampshades in her "The Reason You Suck" Speech, saying that while the female villains he stole the powers of may not have been that smart in some regards, they at least knew how to use their own powers effectively. The fact that she and Raven were able to win against him despite all the powers he had proves her point.
- Jerkass Genie: Offers a wish to the winner of the Tournament, but later reveals the wish was merely returning the winner home safely.
- Villainous Breakdown: Briefly falls apart when Raven pulls Jade out of his amulet, followed by Jade giving him a "The Reason You Suck" Speech, though he recovers quickly.
The daughter of the supervillain Killer Moth, she is abducted by the Master of Games for his tournament and ends up facing Jade, who quickly defeats her.
Kitten's father, a supervillain who's name is synonymous with sub-par villainy. Has sworn revenge on Jade for wounding his daughter in the Tournament.
The daughter of one of Captain Marvel's enemies.
Somehow, Tarakudo seems to be active again, and is apparently trying to turn Jade to evil.
The Titans' archenemy, who's taken an interest in Jade.
- The Cameo: Has only appeared in a couple of brief scenes so far, enough to indicate an interest in Jade.
- Eviler Than Thou: Subtly implies this relationship to Blood.
- Genre Savvy: After his experience with Robin, he knows to avoid apprentices with noble streaks. As such, while Jade has potential, he's keeping his distance.
- Stealth Hi/Bye: Does this to Blood, just to prove a point.
The Titans and other heroes
- Fountain of Youth: Is temporarily turned back into a child by Jade stealing his age, but is returned to normal when Jade gets tired of being an adult and reverses the process.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: When attempting to infiltrate the HIVE. Jade is stunned that no one else can see through it.
- Arch-Enemy: Jade declared Beast Boy hers after he nailed her with an onion.
- Meta Guy: Thinks that having an archnemesis makes him cooler.
- Politically Incorrect Hero: Has shown shades of political incorrectness at some points. Notable occasions include him referring to Jade as a midget (the other Titans lampshade this), saying glowing red eyes are a sign of evil (Jade denies it, points out that Cyborg's robot eye is red and he isn't evil), and saying Jade should have some sympathy for Mumbo because they are both blue-skinned magic users (which she points out doesn't make sense, saying it's like saying BB is the Martian Manhunter's nephew, and accuses him of racial profiling). Though, to be fair, he did catch himself on that last one when he saw Jade's angry look.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Repeatedly points out that she's not a villain and shouldn't be in the tournament.
- Friendly Enemy: Towards Jade and to a lesser extent Jinx at the end of the Tournament of Villainesses.
A mysterious entity Jade meets in a strange pocket dimension, who turns her back into a Shadowkhan and sends her to the Teen Titans universe, for as yet unclear reasons.
- Arch-Enemy: Apparently has one, but we know even less about him than we do about this guy.
- Bigger Bad: Possibly. He instigates the plot, and definitely gives off an antagonistic vibe, but not much is known about him yet.
- Hidden Agenda Villain: As stated above, it's unclear why he transformed and banished Jade, but the guy's definitely antagonistic.
- Humanoid Abomination: Is described as looking like a living scarecrow.
- Omnicidal Maniac: He wants something called "The Omega" to rise and destroy at least one world.
- Talkative Loon: Spends more of his time during the encounter with Jade talking to himself than her.
The Queen of the Shadowkhan
Jade's alter ego who appeared for first time in the JCA episode of the same name, who's trying to slowly take over Jade again.