open/close all folders
The Heap Family
Septimus HeapThe main character, Septimus is a seventh son of a seventh son, wielding amazing Magykal powers.
- The Apprentice: Of Marcia Overstrand. She had been in fact waiting for him since long.
- Character Development: At first, he's scared and rather antisocial. After the first book, he grows to be more confident and happy.
- Child Mage: He becomes ExtraOrdinary Apprentice at the tender age of ten years.
- Child Soldier: In the Young Army during his first ten years of life.
- Dragon Rider: He is Spit Fyre's rider.
- Green Eyes: He gets them after being recovered from the Young Army in Magyk, as do all Wizard children when exposed to Magykal learning.
- Magical Seventh Son: The main theme of the series is that seventh children of seventh children have extraordinary Magykal abilities.
- Meaningful Name: Septimus is the seventh son of a seventh son. His name means "seventh" in Latin. Furthermore, his Young Army "name" was Boy 412, and 4+1+2=7.
- Reaches Arc Number level when in Queste, Marcia Overstrand is revealed to be the 776th ExtraOrdinary Wizard (remember, the first Wizard came sailing in from ancient Egypt), which will eventually make her apprentice, Septimus, the 777th.
- Nice Guy: He is genuinely compassionate towards others and doesn't regard anyone with malice. He even offers a second chance to Simon.
- Switched at Birth: With Jenna.
- Took a Level in Badass: Septimus timidly starts off as The Load, but gets much better as his magical skill improves.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: In Darke, partly as a consequence of the imminent Darke Week and its tribulations.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: All powerful Wizards tend to fear heights, as explained in Queste.
Jenna HeapThe daughter of Queen Cerys and Milo Banda. She was rescued by Marcia Overstrand when the Queen was shot, and subsequently adopted by the Heap family.
- Action Girl: An on-and-off example.
- Berserk Button: Don't try to kill Septimus or else she will take you down.
- Disappeared Dad: Milo's wherabouts weren't know until Flyte, and his reunion with his daughter was rather less than friendly.
- Everything's Better with Princesses: Literally, as she uses her Queen authority, e.g in Flyte to force Stanley to lead them to Aunt Zelda's cottage and in Darke to get Septimus to explain what the Darke Week is.
- Genki Girl: She's generally upbeat.
- Happily Adopted: She considers the Heap family to be her true family, almost more than her actual family.
- One of the Boys: Courtesy of living with six boys, leading into...
- Tomboy: Although she doesn't mind wearing the tiara and dress that come with being queen, Jenna gives off slight vibes of this. She's certainly not scared to get dirty.
- Plucky Girl: Whatever happens, she won't let her spirits be dampened.
- Princesses Rule: Only in Darke does she receive "official" royal promotion.
- Switched at Birth: With Septimus.
Marcia OverstrandThe bossy ExtraOrdinary Wizard, she became EOW after her tutor Alther Mella was shot along with the Queen, and rescued Jenna in the same moment.
- The Archmage: The ExtraOrdinary Wizard of the setting has high authority over other Wizards.
- Green Eyes: She's the main Wizard of the setting after all.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Usually, she is very bossy and can be a huge annoyance to everyone, but when trouble abounds, she can be very caring and helpful. Also, her abrasiveness is often directed at those who deserve it; oftentimes she is depicted as gracious and polite, especially towards those that she takes a liking to. Her biggest fault is probably her tendency to leap to wrong conclusions about people, but she is at least capable of admitting her mistakes, such as happens with both Silas and Marcellus.
- Parental Substitute: She is this to Septimus, according to Word of God.
- Purple Is Powerful: She is dressed head to toe in the purple robes of the ExtraOrdinary Wizard. She orders her shoes to be handmade out of special purple snakeskin, much to her shoemaker's dismay.
- Tsundere: Marcia is a non-romantic variant — she's self-centered and abrasive as all get-out, but she very clearly cares deeply for Septimus (when she slips enough to let it show).