- Accidental Innuendo: the way that the Ez8 pulls out the Beam Saber in the Blu-Ray short.
- Awesome Music: Chihiro Yonekura's Arashi no naka e Kagayaite, the first OP.
- Base-Breaking Character:
- Ghinias Sahalin. Either you think of him as pure evil, a Tragic Monster / Jerkass Woobie, or a Draco in Leather Pants. There's NOTHING in between.
- To fans who prefer the more realistically "unaware" characters like Bernie, Shiro Amada also counts in several occasions, given his compassionate personality & his devoted love to Aina.
- Broken Base: The Gunpla community is split between the original 1998 HG version of the Ez8 versus the 2013 HGUC version. While normally 15 years of progress make the comparison obvious, the original version has some features that give it a unique advantage over the HGUC, specifically an opening cockpit and maintenance hatch on the chest, a figurine of Shiro Amada, and plastic buckles for the parachute pack. The HGUC version lacks these (it uses stickers for the parachute pack), though its detail, color accuracy, and articulation are considerably better, though with a higher listing price. The base is sharply divided on which is the better version.
- Complete Monster: Prince Gihren Zabi. See that page for details.
- Ensemble Dark Horse: Norris Packard is an honorable old soldier who is as loyal as he is awesome, and that's why we love him despite him getting relatively little screen time.
- An even odder one: an unnamed Zeon woman who only appears to report on Norris' signal to launch the Kergeren. Her cute looks and being used as a Zeon operator in various games led to a fan following on 2chan who dubbed her Kergerenko which caused her to appear in MORE games and even as part of the promotional material for said games.
- Fanfic Fuel: Ginias's lightly-touched Freudian Excuse and what little backstory was given for him and his sister are just enough to get fans' word processors put to use on occasion. The fact that some fans think Ginias might've been an abused child (extrapolated from the implications of their family being dysfunctional and the belief that his breakdown was fueled by deep-rooted trauma instead of purely biological factors) doesn't help. Needless to say, Ginias probably has the greatest risk of becoming a Draco in Leather Pants out of the cast.
- Memetic Badass: Norris Packard. Having a first name which is a surname of another Memetic Badass probably helps...
- Memetic Mutation:
- Moral Event Horizon: Ginias jumps off the deep-end in the last quarter of the series, starting with blowing up Kellarny and his men when they attempted to leave the planet. This was after he denied them aide in evacuation.
- Nightmare Fuel: Your Mech has been disabled and its sensors destroyed, leaving you trapped in the coffin-like cockpit, completely blind as to what's going on outside, while you are absolutely aware that the enemy ace is standing right there ready to kill you like he has the last three opponents he faced in the last ten minutes. Nothing happens. Cue minor Freak Out!.
- And then there was the wonderful time where you bear witness to the gas attacks as seen in Gihrens Greed. Made even worse if one actually knows what nerve gas does and realizes that scene is itself something of Gory Discretion Shot.
- As Ghinias loses his sanity and his health declines as well, he becomes more and more unhinged. For some, this makes him utterly dispicable; for others, it makes him tragic. There's no discussion on how creepy it is, and Show Hayami's superb voice acting does not help.
- The Scrappy: Michel get a fair share of hate from most of the fandom for being perceived as a whiny and inexperienced kid.
- Strangled by the Red String: Aina and Shiro. Meeting each other once in space was all it took for Shiro and Aina to get hooked between one another.
- They Changed It, Now It Sucks!:
- In the case of the Blu-Ray release; while some of the enhanced sound effects are praised, The majority of the changes (like the original Machine Gun's sound effects) has been mostly lambasted by the fans who grew up with the original sounds.
- On the merchandise side: Half of the Japanese modelers are not happy to the fact that the new HGUC GM Ground Type's head features a slight redesign on the "forehead" piece, which results in a slightly squinty look. The webshop exclusive HGUC Gundam Ground Type parachute pack however; features a more accurate design on the GM head.
YMMV / Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team