Super Tanooki Skin 2Dnote is an Endless Running Game made by PETA in 2011, intended as a rather gruesome parody of the then-recent Super Mario 3D Land and its Tanooki Suit (Which was previously featured in Super Mario Bros. 3).
The premise, such as it is, is that Mario is evil because he uses Tanooki Suitsnote , and a tanooki has gotten fed up with this and has set out to catch Mario and save his skin. Thus, through a fairly short Auto-Scrolling Level, you must jump over obstacles and take your skin back from Mario.
Upon release, the game was heavily criticized by gamers for missing the point of the Tanooki Suits, something the company's games tend to suffer from as a whole. As such, Retsupurae has taken on the game (or rather, its message) in this video.
This game provides examples of:
- Author Tract: Wouldn't be a PETA game without long-winded rants on the evils of animal cruelty and using stuff that requires killing animals to make.
- A Winner Is You: Beating the game (which is rather short, mind you) shows a shot of the tanuki, his skin regained, giving the V-Sign over a dazed Mario.
- Big Bad: Mario steals the Tanooki's skin, driving him to get it back.
- Big Ball of Violence: When you finally catch Mario, he and the tanooki do this.
- Bloodier and Gorier: Definitely way more violent than the Mario franchise itself, given that the protagonist is a tanuki skinned alive and the game's backgrounds are sickeningly visceral.
- Circling Birdies: The star variant is shown on Mario in the ending.
- Crapsack World: The game takes place in a twisted version of the Mushroom Kingdom, where the hills bleed and are stripped of their fur. It gets better once you catch Mario.
- Cue the Sun: The red clouds dissipate into a normal blue landscape when you regain your skin.
- Excuse Plot: Mario skins a Tanooki alive to get a Tanooki suit- get your skin back. The only words you get upon starting the game is "SAVE YOUR SKIN!"
- Fur and Loathing: Mario, of course. He's taken the tanuki's skin and is treated as the game's bad guy.
- "Get Back Here!" Boss: The entire game is spent running after Mario.
- Nintendo Hard: The game's speed eventually makes it really hard to keep up with Mario.
- Red Sky, Take Warning: For most of the game, the sky is red.
- Space Whale Aesop: Don't skin tanooki, because they will come after you and beat you up. Even if the skin doesn't even come from real tanooki.
- Symbol Swearing: When you finally catch Mario:"#$*! YOU MARIO!
THIS SKIN BELONGS
TO AN ANIMAL!"
- V-Sign: Done by the tanooki when he regains his skin.
- Word Salad Title: Super Mario 3D Land sort of made sense. Super Tanooki Skin 2D less so.