Night Ripper is a 2017 independent Survival Horror game for PC, developed by Puppet Combo, the new and improved developer of Babysitter Bloodbath and Power Drill Massacre. It's the third instalment in their anthology series of 80's Slasher Movie inspired PS1-esque horror games.
You control a young girl named Rachel, forced to walk home from a diner late at night. On her way there in the dirty slums of a nondescript town, she's terrorized by the Night Ripper.
Has a character page here.
Night Ripper contains examples of the following tropes:
- The '80s: As per usual for the developer.
- Acceptable Targets: In-Universe. The Fundamentalist speaker on the radio in the beginning believes that because the Night Ripper has only killed drug-using female prostitutes, he should be commended for cleaning up the streets of the city.
- Action Survivor: Just like Sarah from Bloodbath and Megan from Massacre, Rachel is just a generic average Jane fending herself from a deranged Serial Killer.
- Antagonist Title: Guess what the name of the killer is.
- Asshole Victim: The prostitute who insults and rebuffs Rachel when she warns her of the Night Ripper, accuses her of trying to steal her business, and refuses to give her any money for her phone call.
- …But He Sounds Handsome: The way the DJ on the radios you can find throughout the game talks about the Night Ripper and glorifies his crimes, you get the feeling that he is the Night Ripper. A hidden radio broadcasting station can be found in the Night Ripper's turf, conspicuously unattended...
- The City Narrows: The setting is the trashiest part of your typical American town.
- Conspicuous Trenchcoat: The Night Ripper is caped in a big ol' black trenchcoat, as should any night predator.
- Cruel Twist Ending: Rachel made it home, but the Night Ripper breaks into her house...
- Evil Wears Black: The Night Ripper is as shadowy as can be, to blend in with the darkness... except for the bright yellow duck mask...
- Expy: Because he's based on The New York Ripper.
- Eye Scream: The Game Over animation has the killer gouging out Rachel's eye.
- Jack the Ripper: The killer is basically the modern version of him. Aside from the obvious similar names, they're both depraved, shadowy men who exclusively and gorily prey upon defenseless women, mainly hookers, when they're out drifting at night.
- Infinite Flashlight: Thankfully, Rachel's flashlight will never go out on her during this night of terror.
- The hooker, who belittles Rachel when she warns her about the Night Ripper. She won't even spare a dime.
- The Fundamentalist radio host, who implies that the Night Ripper's victims deserved to be murdered because they were prostitutes who used drugs.
- Malevolent Masked Man: As usual, except this time, it's a duck mask. Kinda draws away from the whole fear factor, huh?
- Monster Misogyny: The Night Ripper preys exclusively upon women, mainly prostitutes. Just like another Ripper-based serial killer.
- Painting the Medium: The game invokes the aesthetic of The '80s video games and horror movies so well, it's unreal. At the first glance, you'll be forgiven to think it was made a bit earlier than 2017.
- Pink Means Feminine: Rachel's default attire stars a bright pink dress-shirt and matching hairband, but it can be changed.
- Police Are Useless: Rachel can try to dial 911, only to get a dial tone, implying they're busy.
- Roaming Enemy: Like the power drill killer from Massacre. Uniquely, this survival horror monster patrols in a black car, and only gets out when he spots the player.
- Shout-Out: One bit of graffiti you can find reads "BE GARBAGE OF CESSPOOL HAHA"
- Sinister Subway: Apart of the urban setting is a desolate underground subway.
- Serial Killer: The Night Ripper, who killed 3 girls in one week and now has his sights on Rachel.
- Swarm of Rats: The subway is like a hive of rats.
- Scream Discretion Shot: When the Ripper kills the prostitute. There is a loud scream.
- Too Dumb to Live:
- Rachel. There's an infamous serial killer who killed three girls in her area THIS WEEK but she still insists on walking home in the middle of the night, even though one of her friends politely offers her a ride home.
- Even moreso, the prostitute you encounter. Rachel frantically warns her about the Night Ripper, who, again, murdered 3 hookers like her in 1 week, and the prostitute assumes she's just trying to steal her business (she is the only NPC in the area besides The Ripper himself). Guess what happens to her.
- Video-Game Lives: Unlike the previous two games; you get 4.