— Agnes Evans
She Kills Monsters is a dramatic comedy play by Qui Nguyen that debuted in 2011. It is the story of Agnes Evans, a young woman leaving her childhood home shortly after the death of her geeky little sister, Tilly. Upon finding a homemade Dungeons & Dragons module Tilly made shortly before her passing, Agnes decides to play the game in order to understand her sister more. To this end, she enlists the assistance of Chuck, a teenager who used to play D&D with Tilly.
The play jumps between the real world and the game world as Agnes travels through the quest from the module to learn about the girl she called sister.
She Kills Monsters provides examples of:
- Abridged for Children: The "Young Adventurer's Edition" changes the older characters from 20-somethings into high schoolers and omits the more harsh profanity.
- Action Girl: In the game world, all of the female adventurers are fighters and warriors.
- The Big Bad: The five-headed dragon goddess The Tiamat.
- Cast Full of Gay: All the characters Tilly made for her game world are gay because she herself was gay.
- The Hero: Agnes Evans, the main protagonist.
- The '90s: The play is set in 1995, with all of the appropriate pop culture references included.
- Not What It Looks Like: Agnes's boyfriend begins to suspect she is cheating on him with Chuck, when they are in fact just playing D&D together.
- Posthumous Character: Tilly appears on stage through the game module she left behind.