2019 British sitcom about a woman attempting to rebuild her life after 18 years in jail.
Tropes in Back To Life:
- Crime of Self-Defense: Miri's crime is this. Lara attacked Miri first, and the fight ended with Miri pushing Lara over a cliff.
- Dirty Cop: It's suggested that Miri's claim of self defence was never properly considered because it could potentially have exposed DCI Boback's secret that he had been sleeping with Miri's friend Mandy.
- Driving Question: Not, as you might expect, "Did Miri do it?" (there's no mystery: she did) but rather "What caused the fight?"
- Extreme Libido: Mandy reckons her life is "80% pussy, 20% other stuff". This is initially Played for Laughs, but revealed to have a darker significance later on.
- First-Episode Twist: Despite the series' publicity making a particular point of not revealing what Miri's crime was, we quickly learn that she pushed a schoolfriend off a cliff to her death.
- Good Adultery, Bad Adultery:
- "Bad": Miri's ex Dom will sleep with Anything That Moves, including her mother and Miri herself.
- "Good": Billy, although it makes sense because Billy's wife Anna has dementia.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Miri's mother, Caroline.
- Mysterious Watcher: A mysterious man is seen to be snooping around Miri and her family. He is eventually revealed to be an Amateur Sleuth trying to clear Miri's name.
- Mood Whiplash: The town council meeting, where it appears Miri is being reintegrated into her town followed immediately by her discovering the truth about Laura's anger.
- Plucky Girl: This is Miri's main character type. Daisy Haggard, who co-wrote the series and plays Miri, describes her as "an eternal optimist", but she's realistic enough not to fall into being The Pollyanna or Wide-Eyed Idealist.
- Rhetorical Request Blunder / I Wished You Were Dead: Billy's wife, Anna, dies just after Miri finally snaps back at her after enduring a barrage of abuse.
- Stepford Smiler: Everyone, especially Caroline and Caroline's husband, Miri's father Oscar (who are both struggling with being alienated from the community), Miri (who is trying to move on from being in prison for twenty years), and Miri's best friend Mandy.
- Town with a Dark Secret: Miri's hometown. It appears to be her crime, but it is later revealed to be her motive for her crime.
- Wham Line:Don: The rumour was that Mr Boback was sleeping with Mandy, not Miri.