Country girl and fabric geek Mayuko Tokita goes to Tokyo, and she ends up finding work on the prestigious artisan lingerie Emotion, ruled by the eccentric genius creator Mayumi Nanjo. At first, it looks like this job is bound to fail: Mayuko is clumsy, has absolutely no sense of style, and sees no point in spending dozens of hours making a garment that will only be looked at by a handful of people.
As time goes by, however, she will come to realize that there is more to the world of lingerie than meets the eye...
Atelier (not to be confused with the video game series) is a 2015 live action TV show created by Fuji TV and Netflix, running for 13 episodes.
Atelier includes examples of the following tropes:
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: Vanderbilt's Fujimura, though he's more ruthless than evil.
- FaceHeel Turn: Mizuki and Fumi desert Emotion to make their own brand sponsored by Vanderbilt's, though Mizuki promptly gets a HeelFace Turn , and Fumi is shown in a very sympathetic light later on, showing how she still loves Emotion, but had to leave to fulfill her dreams of having her own brand.
- Parental Abandonment: subverted in that it's Mayumi who abandoned Seiran to focus in her designer career.
- Put on a Bus: happens to Sosuke, when Emotion gets in financial trouble due to the Vanderbilt lawsuit.
- She Cleans Up Nicely: as you can probably guessed, this happens to Mayuko early on the series.
- Will They or Won't They?: apart from the obvious one between Mayuko and Kaji, we get one later between Mayumi and Yamazaki.