Andrew Klavan (born July 13, 1954 in New York City) is a novelist, screenwriter, web-based conservative political commentator and satirist.
He worked as a radio and newspaper reporter and a radio news writer, then became a full-time writer. Some of his novels were adapted into films, such as White of the Eye, Don't Say a Word and True Crime, and he wrote some screenplays such as A Shock to the System and One Missed Call.
He once hosted Andrew Klavan on the Culture, more shortly known as Klavan on the Culture, a series of short video clips by the internet TV channel PJTV. The videos had Klavan poking fun at liberals by either outright showing the flaws in their arguments or sometimes through Stealth Parody. Since 2016, he hosts a satire-heavy politics-centric show, The Andrew Klavan Show, partnering with Ben Shapiro's site The Daily Wire.
Klavan's topic of rants tend to vary from high taxes, religion, political figures, and many more.
Tropes in Andrew Klavan on the Culture:
- Bait-and-Switch Comparison: A variation was done when he was comparing Barack Obama to Jesus:Klavan: There are important similarities between our dear saviour and Jesus.
- Cool Old Guy: Andrew keeps himself well-up on pop culture (apropos for a show such as this), and a major theme of his work involves the link between entertainment and politics.
- Hypocritical Humor: In the "Fun with Anti-Semitism" video which criticizes anti-semitism, Klavan made an "anti-semitic" comment and had a horn sounded on him.
- Religion of Evil: Satanism.Klavan: Satanism, after all, is the religion of peace.(a possessed girl turned her head 180 degrees)Klavan: Okay, maybe it's the religion of unspeakable evil.
- Shout-Out: Klavan made some reference to films, comic books and video games in the videos. Appropriate, as he is also well-known for his successful screenplays (like True Crime) and his novels adapted into movies (like Don't Say a Word and A Shock to the System).
- Title Drop: "Hi, this is Andrew Klavan on the Culture."
Tropes in The Andrew Klavan Show:
- Animated Credits Opening: See here.
- Biting-the-Hand Humor: Because of the COVID-19 Pandemic and his own advanced age, Klavan worked from home throughout 2020, and regularly joked in the show about The Daily Wire trying to "distance themselves" from him.
- "Trigger warning, I'm Andrew Klavan, and this is the Andrew Klavan Show."
- "There are no 'E's in 'Klavan'!"
- When talking about his news in the obligatory Please Subscribe to Our Channel moment, he always says "Click the bell for notifications, and I'll bring them to your home (insert silly delivery method)."
- "Alright, we are back laughing our way through the fall of the Republic" during and after the 2020 presidential election.
- Freemium: Just like Shapiro, about two-thirds into his videos (and usually when he interviews people), there's a paywall covering the screen and only the audio remains.
- Nice, Mean, and In-Between: Of the three initial Daily Wire pundits, Ben Shapiro tends to be the most curt, Klavan the most soft-hearted, and Michael J. Knowles is somewhere between the two.
- Product Placement: He makes in-show adverts for various sponsors, though he puts way more effort (and bombast when it's about RockAuto.com) than Ben Shapiro in his transitions into advertising.
- Satire: He always starts his videos by humorously talking about the political news of the day, most often involving exaggeration, Insane Troll Logic and Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking, followed by the below Title Drop and the Animated Credits Opening. Then he gets back to talking about said news in a way more serious manner.
- Title Drop: "Trigger warning, I'm Andrew Klavan, and this is the Andrew Klavan Show."