Back To Recap Page
Season 1 Episode 12
We Are Grounders Part 1
- You expect us to trust a Grounder? This is our home now. We built this from nothing with our bare hands! Our dead are buried behind that wall in this ground! Our ground! The Grounders think they can take that away. They think that because we came from the sky, we don't belong here. But they've yet to realize one very important fact: We are on the ground now, and that means we are Grounders!—Bellamy
Up on the Ark, Jaha is speaking with the Council and the Station Representatives, telling them that there is no way for anyone to get to the earth. He says the Delinquents are their final hope and everyone should find peace within themselves in their final hours. He releases all the rations. After everyone else leaves besides Kane, Abby tells Jaha she needs to help a patient injured in the Exodus ship disaster and leaves. Kane asks if Jaha is sure there is no other way and Jaha tells him to spend his final time however he wishes re-running simulations but he prefers to spend it with a bottle of 97-year-old scotch.
At the Camp, the delinquents are preparing for the Grounders to come. Raven is setting up a minefield and Bellamy tells her he doesn't want anyone leaving camp. She gets upset because Clarke, Finn, and Monty are still missing. Sterling falls asleep on watch and accidentally fires his gun. Bellamy yells at him for wasting bullets. Octavia tells Bellamy that he's scaring people. Bellamy tells them that they should be scared because the Grounders are out there waiting for them and it's the camp that is keeping them alive. He orders them all back to work.
Meanwhile, Clarke is still Anya's hostage at a campfire in the woods. Tristan arrives and Anya asks Tristan if the Commander sent him and he tells her that her unit is now his. He brought his Rangers to complete what Anya failed to do, starting with Clarke. Just then, a signal fire is spotted in the distance, announcing Reapers. Tristan tells Anya to take care of Clarke and Anya asks one of her warriors if Finn is dead. The warrior nods and Anya tells him to finish Clarke as well and catch up with them when he's done. Clarke tries to run away and he grabs her chains, yanking her back hard enough that she hits her head and is knocked unconscious.
In the drop ship, Bellamy is going over their war model of the drop ship and surrounding area while Myles is moaning in pain from his injuries after the Grounders attacked him and took Finn and Clarke. Jasper doesn't think it's right that Bellamy doesn't want to go after Monty, Clarke, and Finn. Jasper goes upstairs for more gunpowder as Myles asks for some water. Bellamy leaves the drop ship to get it. A plastic bag is placed over Myles' head and Murphy suffocates him for trying to hang him before. Jasper comes down and catches him in the act. Murphy tries to play it off but he sees Jasper eyeing a gun and grabs it first. Murphy tells Jasper that Myles tried to kill him. Bellamy comes in over the radio in Jasper's pocket, asking what's going on and Jasper warns Bellamy that Murphy has a gun just as Murphy knocks Jasper out and closes the drop ship door.
Clarke awakens, riding in front of a Grounder on a two-headed horse through the woods. They arrive at the hilltop signal fire and she is let down and released. Finn comes out from behind the fire and they hug. The Grounder removes his mask to reveal it's Lincoln, who had to kill one of his own people to save them. They see the signal fire that Anya lit in response go out and Lincoln warns them it means that Anya knows Clarke and Finn are free and Lincoln tells them to run. They reach the Reaper tunnels just as Anya and Tristan arrive. Anya shoots arrows into the mines after them. Tristan tells Anya to let them go because they know where they're going if the mines don't kill them first.
Up in space, Abby and Jackson are working on an injured girl who looks a lot like Clarke. Jackson tells her they should have left her alone because they'll all be dead in two days anyway. The girl begins to crash and Abby gives her a shot of epinephrine. When she asks Jackson for more epinephrine, he tells her they're all out and Abby has to let her patient go. Abby tells Jackson that Clarke blames her for her father's death and she'll never get to hug her again or protect her anymore. Jackson tells her that Clarke is strong-willed like her mother and that's what will keep her alive on the ground. They hug and she tells him to leave before she starts crying over the dead patient.
Octavia comes running up to Bellamy, asking if it's true that Murphy has Jasper. Bellamy asks her if she's finished with the south foxhole because no one seems to be working. Octavia starts yelling out to Murphy to leave Jasper alone and asks Bellamy if he's even going to do anything. Raven walks up and tells Bellamy he was right; she can get under the floor of the drop ship. Octavia apologizes. Bellamy gets on the radio and tells Murphy that all their food and ammo are on the middle level and they need it. He tells Murphy that the person he really wants to hurt is him, not Jasper, and offers to take Jasper's place. Octavia warns Bellamy that Murphy will kill him and Bellamy tells her if he doesn't do this, then Murphy will kill Jasper. Murphy opens the drop ship door and gives Bellamy ten seconds to get inside the drop ship. Bellamy walks in and Murphy tosses a bound and gagged Jasper out before closing the drop ship door again.
In the Reaper tunnels, Lincoln lights a fire to make a torch and tells them they have to keep moving. Lincoln was hit by one of Anya's arrows and Clarke offers to help him with it. She asks Lincoln why he is helping them and pushes the arrow all the way through his side so he can break off the arrowhead and pull the arrow out. Lincoln tells them he's helping them because what his people are doing is wrong and Clarke cauterizes his wound for him.
Under the drop ship, Raven and Jasper are looking around, trying to find a way to hot-wire the drop ship door open. Raven notices there is a ton of hydrazine left over from when the delinquents' drop ship crash-landed and tells him no shooting or they could blow. Just then, Murphy fires a warning shot at Bellamy and Octavia calls in on the radio to make sure he's all right. Murphy tells Bellamy to start making himself a noose out of seat-belts and he is then allowed to let Octavia know he is okay. Bellamy also tells her to tell Raven to hurry up. Jasper tells Raven to get the door open as Murphy has Bellamy toss the noose over a beam. Bellamy asks him if Murphy wants an apology and tells Murphy sincerely that he is sorry. Murphy tells him he wants him to feel what he felt and then die.
In the Ark, Jaha is watching home movies while contemplating "the baton," his 97-year-old scotch. On the video, a young Clarke and a young Wells are practicing for the Unity Day Celebration when Wells asks how the Ark stays in orbit. Clarke mentions the thrusters all over the Ark that keeps the Ark spinning to generate their own gravity. This gives Jaha an idea and he takes off.
In the Reaper tunnels, Lincoln is leading Clarke and Finn back toward the camp by using a map he took off an enemy. Clarke hears noises and Lincoln says it's the Reapers.
Murphy makes Bellamy stand on a stool and put the noose over his head. Murphy pulls the rope tighter, making Bellamy stand on his toes and asks him what he is thinking now.
Lincoln leads Finn and Clarke toward a tunnel blocked off by a group of Reapers and they see a mine cart filled with dead bodies. Lincoln gives Finn his book and his sword for Octavia and tells them to wait for him to lead the Reapers away and then they will need to run through the tunnel to get back to camp. He tells them to get all of the delinquents out of there before Tristan's scouts arrive and tells Clarke to take the delinquents to Luna's clan in the East. Lincoln then attacks a Reaper and kills him, making all of the other Reapers chase after him. Once the tunnel is empty, Clarke and Finn proceed down it with Clarke stopping at the mine cart. She pulls away a tarp and reveals a barely alive Grounder, reaching out for her help and realizes they're all still alive. A Reaper attacks them and has Finn by the throat when Finn grabs a rock and bashes the Reaper's head in.
Murphy tells Bellamy that he is a coward because he kicked out the crate under Murphy's feet. Underneath the drop ship, Raven has found the wires that control the door and tells Jasper to get outside and be ready. Bellamy admits to Murphy that he should have stopped them. Murphy tells him it's too late for that now and begins to talk about Clarke being dead and killing Octavia. Bellamy tries to kick him and Murphy pulls the rope tighter. Underneath, Raven accidentally sparks some wires, making noise. Murphy thinks it's Octavia and shoots several rounds into the drop ship floor before his gun jams. Bellamy sees his opportunity and begins struggling against the noose but Murphy kicks the stool out from under him first. Bellamy grasps at the rope around his throat and Murphy says Bellamy is cheating as he tries to grab Bellamy's hands, but instead Bellamy punches him in the face. Murphy then hits Bellamy several times in the stomach with the butt of his gun just as the drop ship door opens. Murphy flees upstairs and blocks the hatch door while Jasper and Octavia run inside and save Bellamy. Bellamy begins beating on the hatch door, trying to get in and Murphy finds one last bullet for his gun.
Finn and Clarke have made it out of the Reaper tunnels and stop by a stream where Finn begins washing the dead Reaper's blood off his hands. Clarke tells him he did what he had to do. He tells her he's in love with her and she tells him she's sorry, but he broke her heart and she can't be in a relationship with him. They hear a loud explosion coming from the camp and rush off.
Bellamy has finally gotten the hatch open and discovers that Murphy used the bullet to hit a can of gunpowder to blow a hole into the side of the dropship. Jasper asks if they should go after him but Bellamy says the Grounders will take care of Murphy. Instead, he asks Jasper to go with him to look for Clarke, Monty, and Finn. Jasper hugs him in appreciation. A voice on the radio reports movement outside the wall and Jasper and Bellamy rush outside. Miller tells them to open the gate for Clarke and Finn. Finn tells everyone that it's time to pack because they need to leave. Bellamy asks where they would go that's safer than behind the walls of the camp. Finn tells them about the tribe to the east. Bellamy tells the delinquents that they built this home from the ground and that now they're on the ground, they're all Grounders. Clarke says that Bellamy is right that their camp is safe but, if they stay, they will die and tells them to pack only what they can carry. As the delinquents disband, Finn gives Octavia Lincoln's sword and Raven appears from underneath the drop ship after having been shot by Murphy. Clarke has Finn take Raven into the drop ship while Bellamy tells Clarke he thinks she's making a bad decision and leaders need to do what they think is right, not what's popular. Clarke tells him she is as the camp prepares to leave.
Up in the Ark, Kane is running through simulations with Sinclair as he tries to find a way to save some of their people. Jaha enters and asks if they've tried not saving the Ark yet. He suggests they use the thrusters to propel the Ark into the atmosphere and asks Sinclair to find the 5% of the Ark that would survive, asking if anyone has a better idea and if Abby is ready to see her daughter again.
- Always a Bigger Fish: Twice:
- Clarke meets Tristan, who the Grounder Commander has placed above Anya in the command structure. He's much more bloodthirsty.
- The Reapers this to the Grounders.
- Always Someone Better: Murphy mocks Bellamy for thinking he is better than him.
- And I Must Scream: Clarke and Finn find a series of carts in the mind, seemingly filled with the Reapers' victims. Then they realize some of them are still alive, but can barely move.
- Anguished Declaration of Love: Finn finally gives one to Clarke. She rejects him for breaking her heart.
- Annoying Arrows: Lincoln again. It barely slows him down.
- Callback: When exploring the underside of the Drop Ship, Raven discovers there is still a significant tank of Hydrazine, and Jasper recalls how the engines originally fired late into the ships descent, and therefore didn't burn it all up on reentry.
- Bullet Holes and Revelations: Murphy shoots into the floor Raven and Jasper are hiding under, while Raven tries to hotwire the Drop Ship's door. The door then opens and Jasper enters, rescuing Bellamy. Raven emerges about 10 minutes later with a bullet wound in her side, courtesy of Murphy's wild firing.
- Crazy Enough to Work: Jaha's plan to bring the entire Ark to the ground. They go for it anyway because they are dead either way.
- Darkest Hour: The episode begins this way. Clarke and Finn have been captured by Grounders, who are also marching en masse to slaughter the delinquents, who don't have enough bullets to stop them. Bellamy is teetering on the edge of a breakdown from the stress of trying to organize the defense. Also, there is a murderer in the camp secretly killing the defenders, and the Ark is dead in the water with no way to save anyone on board.
- Dig Your Own Grave: A variation. Murphy forces Bellamy to tie and string up his own noose.
- Dressing as the Enemy: Ironically, Lincoln does this to rescue Clarke from Anya. According to Finn, he pulled a Kill and Replace on one of Anya's mooks.
- Engineered Public Confession: Jasper tricks Murphy into doing this, by switching on the walkie talkie in his pocket while Murphy holds him at gunpoint. It warns Bellamy of Murphy's actions.
- Eureka Moment: Jaha has one when watching an old video of him explaining to a young Clarke and Wells how the Ark stays in space.
- Exact Time to Failure: Played with. Jaha states at the beginning of the episode that the Ark has only 51 hours left until everyone on board is dead from the slow loss of Life Support.
- Face Death with Dignity: Twice:
- Jaha urges most people on the Ark to do this.Jaha: Look inside. Find your peace.
- Bellamy calmly lets Murphy hang him at gunpoint.
- Jaha urges most people on the Ark to do this.
- Foreshadowing: Lincoln instructs Clarke and Finn to seek out his friend Luna, who leads a clan by the eastern sea.
- I Ain't Got Time to Bleed: Lincoln barely notices the arrow in his side at first, and derides Clarke when she suggests he bite down on something when she prepares to remove the arrow.Lincoln: You people are so soft.
- I Need a Freaking Drink: Jaha decides to spend his last few hours on the Ark drinking a 97 year old bottle of scotch called "The Baton".
- Just in Time: Raven manages to open the Drop Ship door just in time for Jasper to save Bellamy as he is hanging in the noose.
- Oh, Crap!: Several:
- Both Anya and Tristan when they see the signal fire indicating the Reapers are coming.
- Jasper, when he accidentally sees Murphy murder Myles.
- Lincoln, when the return signal fire goes out, meaning Anya knows Clarke isn't dead.
- Prisoner Exchange: Bellamy trades himself for Jasper as Murphy's prisoner. It buys Raven the time she needs to break into the Drop Ship.
- These Hands Have Killed: Finn has a moment of this, followed by Out, Damned Spot! after beating a Reaper to death with a rock.
- Tired of Running: Bellamy gives a Rousing Speech to the camp to convince them to stay and defend the camp from the impending Grounder army. It includes the Title Drop. Becomes a Negated Moment of Awesome when Clarke gives a more sensible speech in response that convinces them to flee the camp.
- Tunnel Network: Turns out the Grounders have access to an old system of mines that have an exit near the delinquents camp. However, it's infested with Reapers, so Lincoln's use of it is a Godzilla Threshold.
- Uncertain Doom: Monty is still missing this episode, having been abducted by an unknown force last episode. The Grounders make no mention of him, and neither do the Reapers.
- Villain Ball: Murphy grabs it when he decides to suffocate Myles without making sure the Drop Ship was clear of witnesses. Jasper ends up witnessing it, forcing Murphy to take him hostage.
- You Are Better Than You Think You Are: Jackson gives one to Abby after she has a breakdown when her patient dies and she faces never getting to see Clarke again.
- We Have to Get the Bullet Out: Clarke pushes the arrow through Lincoln's side in order to get it out, then cauterizes the wound.
- We Need a Distraction: Lincoln pulls a subdued Leeroy Jenkins on a group of Reapers to lead them away from Clarke and Finn.