Film watched: Terror from the Year 5000
The MST3K presentation contains these tropes:
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: At one point, Bob asks if there's a good movie playing in town. Mike's response: "So now we get to watch people watching a movie? What's that about?"
- Food Pills: Observers sent Mike their super-advanced Food Pills but you have to eat huge heaping bowls of them. Mike serves up gourmet pill dishes a la Anthony Bourdain.
- Funny Background Event: Bobo and Pearl keep fighting in the background throughout the entire episode.
- Hell Is That Noise: The SOL's yodeling ("Like Jimmie Rodgers!") is this to the Observers. "Yodelayheeyodelayheeyodelayhee—" "Yodlodlldloyodllodlodlyo—" "YolooOOOOooOyyolooOOOOooo—" "YO-DE-LAY-DEE-YO-DE-LAY-DEE—"First Observer (Mike): What are you doing? Stop it this instant!
Third Observer (Bill): Can't you see you're killing Observer?
Second Observer (Paul): (clutching his temple) ...devils! ...devils!
- After "When I Held Your Brain In My Arms", Mike gets a taste of his own medicine when the 'bots start singing the riff from 'that one Asia song' ("Only Time Will Tell").
- Ho Yay: Invoked for comedy when Victor arranges to have Bob sleep in his room.Mike: (As narrator, while Victor sneaks out of bed) The Terrible, Aching Crush I Have On My Roommate... FROM THE YEAR 5000!!!
- I Read It for the Articles: When one of the women in the film starts undressing, Crow excitedly says, "Movie's getting better, movie's getting better! I like the pacing, the cinematography has improved considerably."
- In the Style of...: In the writeup of the episode, Kevin Murphy remarks when they sang "When I Held Your Brain In My Arms" that "the Observers sound a helluva lot like Servo covering the The Ink Spots."
- Involuntary Battle to the Death: The Observers cast aside their welcoming facade and force Bobo and Pearl to kill each other as a test of their abilities.
- Kirk Summation: Pearl refuses to kill Bobo at the behest of the Observers, going on a passionate speech about being human and responsibility to other living things, looking straight into the camera. The fact that it's the show's lying, bullying, Adult Child villain saying this does not go unmentioned:Pearl: Being human isn't about killing in cold blood those who are helpless — though I have in fact done that, I probably shouldn't have...
- And then Bobo rabbit punches her from behind.
- No Indoor Voice: Miss Blake is said to be this, as a joke on her Extreme Doormat personality and exaggeratedly-gentle mannerisms.
- Running Gag:
- Servo keeps impersonating the narrator's booming declarations of the TERROR FROM THE YEAR 5000 to apologize and make excuses for the TERROR's failure to show up until about an hour into the movie.Tom: I Realize I May Have Oversold The "Terror" At The Beginning, And For That I Apologize.
- The pale, flabby, unattractive physiques of the lead characters when they get into their bathing suits.
- Riffs based upon Bob's haircut making him resemble a Drill Sergeant.
- Bob's secretary supposedly having a Hair-Trigger Temper.
- Angelo the Crusty Caretaker, his obvious perversion, and his resemblance to Jimmy Carter lead to plenty of jokes.Mike: (as Angelo) I believe I am experiencing stagflation.
- Servo keeps impersonating the narrator's booming declarations of the TERROR FROM THE YEAR 5000 to apologize and make excuses for the TERROR's failure to show up until about an hour into the movie.
- Same Language Dub: The Observer played by Mike Nelson lip-syncs to what is very clearly Tom Servo/Kevin Murphy's voice for most of the song. The Bill Corbett Observer, on the other hand, lip-syncs to... his own voice.
- Shout-Out: The SOL's yodeling and the pain it causes the Observers are a reference to the Martians' Weak Sauce Weakness (Slim Whitman's "Indian Love Call") in Mars Attacks!, which came out the previous year.
- Shown Their Work: "When I Held Your Brain In My Arms" throws out a lot of neuroanatomical terms in service of its tortured Tunnel of Love metaphor.First Observer: I remember
We would stroll
Along your fissure of Rolando
When I held your brain in my arms
Third Observer: I miss how we would float down your vestibular canal
And how we would go swimming in your pons
The music you would play us
On your locus coeruleus
First Observer: Still tickles my neurons...!
- Slasher Smile: The Observers sport these in the Stinger. Just look at Paul Chaplin's and try not to be scared.
- Spoof Aesop: All three riffers get one in over the closing shot of the now-dead TERROR:Crow: "Remember to moisturize, and use a sunscreen!"Mike: "And don't bob for french fries!"Servo: "Marry only UL-approved attractive people!"
- Time Machine: Used to mess with Mike Nelson a bit, and to teach Crow a lesson for same.
- [Verb] This!: Crow tells one of the Observers to "Observe this!" after they try and get Mike and the bots to fight each other.