In rural farmland, a group of farmers protects their territories from monstrous invaders by fighting them in mechanized suits. Based on the short story of the same name by Steven Lewis.
Neil Kaplan voices Hank and G.K. Bowes voices Beth.
- Aliens Steal Cattle: The first thing we see the DeeBees do after breaking in is to go after the cattle. Although it's less "stealing" and more "violently devouring".
- Bait-and-Switch: The DeeBees are implied to be an Alien Invasion, only for the ending to reveal that it's the humans that have invaded their world.
- Bittersweet Ending: They've driven the enemy and killed the big boss bug, but the herd is lost, they've lost one of their own, their gear is mostly destroyed and the final zoom-out reveals the war is far from over, with bugs swarming all over their domes.
- Bottomless Magazines: Played with: during the fight Crazy Mel's mech runs out of missiles, Hank's mech runs out of bullets and Jake's mech completely runs out of ammo. New ammunition is sent in, but Jake has to abandon the fight for a moment to reload. However, Hank's mech is able to shoot something at the bugs without having to reload.
- Bug War: The farmers have to fight hordes of large bug-like aliens referred to as "DeeBees" that attack everything that moves.
- Brick Joke: The one-cow herd that Hank mentions moving closer to the house partway into the short can be seen peacefully munching grass in front of the house at the very end.
- Chekhov's Gun: Jake's ugly scarecrow, which Hank couldn't manage to uproot, proves a fine way to anchor his mech when attempting to hold down the big alien.
- Cigar Chomper: Crazy Mel is never seen without her cigar.
- Conditioned to Accept Horror: The farmers are just tired of their alien neighbors.
- Feed It a Bomb: Unable to penetrate the big DeeBee's armor, Hank uses his mech to wrench open its mouth so Beth can shoot a cannon round right down its throat.
- Good News, Bad News: After the first attack, Hank tells Beth that he's moving the cattle herd as asked. What he doesn't get to is that the herd has been reduced to one cow.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Jake blows himself up when surrounded by monsters. Hank tells his wife to shoot down the big monster's throat while he's holding it open, but he actually survives.
- It Has Been an Honor: "Well, Hank, it's been good knowin' ya!"
- "Join the Army," They Said: "Be a farmer," in this case, as it involves occasionally fighting off hordes of ravenous monsters.
- Kill It with Fire: Hank's mechsuit has a flamethrower, among other weapons.
- Macross Missile Massacre: Crazy Mel's mech specializes in this, firing a massive swarm of little homing missiles into the horde.
- Maligned Mixed Marriage: Hank and Beth are a white man, black woman couple, whose marriage was a source of much anger for her mother. However, it's never stated if her disapproval was for racial reasons or otherwise.
- Mini-Mecha: The farmers' homemade mechs are approximately the size of large farm equipment such as a tractor or combine harvester.
- Mission Control: Beth, who coordinates the defense and the evacuation as a Voice with an Internet Connection.
- One Head Taller: Hank is a head taller than Beth and twice as wide.
- Reveal Shot: The short ends with an Astronomic Zoom that shows the farms are in terraformed domes on an alien planet that the DeeBees completely swarm the outside of.
- Southern-Fried Genius: All protagonists got Southern accents and clearly have the technical skill to make their own mechs. With Jake seeing himself as a bit of a modern day Da Vinci.
- Ugly Guy, Hot Wife: Downplayed with Hank and Beth: while she is definitely more beautiful and she's thin while Hank he is portly, Hank is at least an attractive guy himself. Jake and Helen, however, play it painfully straight.
- Whole Plot Reference: It's a horde of ravenous alien monsters vs. determined space hicks in robot suits. Neil Kaplan even voices Tychus Findlay in that series.
- Zerg Rush: A lone DeeBee can be capped with human-sized small arms, but there's thousands of them. The big one, on the other hand, is so heavily armored that most weapons just bounce off it.