Morita-san Wa Mukuchi ("Morita-san Is Quiet") is a Japanese four-panel comic strip manga written and illustrated by Tae Sano. It's about Mayu Morita, a high school girl who is extremely reticent. Her silence and habit of looking at people's eyes straightly sometimes cause misunderstandings. The reason behind it is not because she doesnt like to talk nor because she has nothing to say. The reason she rarely speaks is due to the fact she thinks too much before speaking, thus losing the timing to speak altogether. She lives a happy school life with her classmates.
The manga was originally published in the March 2007 issue of Takeshobo's Manga Life magazine, and later moved to Takeshobo's Manga Life Momo and Manga Club magazines. The first tankobon volume was released in January 2009; as of February 2011, three volume have been published. An Original Video Animation was bundled with volume three of the manga in February 2011, and another OVA was released separately in March 2011. A TV anime series produced by Studio Gram (the same as the OVAs) began airing in Japan in July 2011. The first season ended in September 2011, but the second season immediately started in October 2011.
- Alliterative Name: Mayu Morita and Miki Murakoshi.
- The Cameo: Atsumi and Atsushi from Recorder and Randsell walk past in the final episode. Mayu and Hana return the favor in the first episode of their show.
- Cargo Envy: Kouta in the OVA said he wanted to be reincarnated as School Swimsuit.
- Childhood Friends: Mayu and Miki
- Cross-Popping Veins: Mayu's mother often gets these over Morita's father.
- Dude, Not Funny!: Deliberately invoked in-story by Hana as a Running Joke. In episode 16, when Miki and Chihiro joke about magazines with stories about broken homes.Hana: I see those stories play out in my house every day.
- Dull Eyes of Unhappiness: Hana exemplifies the trope whenever something reminds her of home.
- Even the Girls Want Her:
- Yamamoto is very popular with the female student body.
- Megane for Mayu.
- Fanservice: Maybe the pool episode counts as such.
- Faux Paw: Occurs quite a few times; just look at the page picture.
- Festival Episode: Episode 8
- Four-Girl Ensemble: Namely, Chihiro, Miki, Mayu, and Hana.
- Genki Girl: Miki Murakoshi
- Girlish Pigtails: Chihiro and Megane.
- Girl-on-Girl Is Hot: Kouta and Ryuichi certainly think so, to the point that Kouta wants to be reincarnated as a girl.
- Gratuitous French: There's a cookbook that's titled "Le plat qui est amoureux", which means "the dish which is in love"; maybe it was supposed to be "The Lovely Dish"?
- Happily Married: Morita's parents. The secret seems to be zealously making up after jealous fights.
- Heroic Mime: Mayu
- Iyashikei: Both seasons OP lyrics exemplify this.
- Season 1Let's be more loving
Let's love everyone with all our might!
It's a wonderful thing, isn't it?
I don't know about hurting others
There are many things that can't be compared,
but I want to be by your side!
- Season 2Nyaa-Nyaa-Nyaa-Nyaa-Nyaa!
Don't be afraid!
It's alright! I'll help you!
You don't have to say anything!
I understand you perfectly!
Your gentle and clumsy side ...
is what I love the most!
- Season 1
- Kimono Is Traditional: Yumi is always shown wearing a kimono.
- Letter Motif: All of the girls' family names start with M.
- Love Bubbles: High-school girls like sweet things!
- Episode 5, when the entire Four-Girl Ensemble try the parfait.
- Episode 11, when Mayu treats herself to a strawberry shortcake.
- Lucky Translation: "mura mura" / "ira ira" ? "sexy" / "vexing"
- Meganekko: Megane Musume
- Mistaken for Cheating: This is what seems to happen to Mayu's dad all the time.
- Motor Mouth: Miki Murakoshi.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Megane Musume (Glasses Girl)
- Real Song Theme Tune: Season 1's OP is a Iori Nomizu cover of a Lindberg song.
- Reflectionless Useless Eyes: Mayu's "eyes of frozen squid" kind of scare some people.
- Schoolgirl Lesbians: Megane may well qualify, and there is also the moment when Mayu overhears how a girl confesses to Ritsuki.
- Schoolgirl Series
- Serious Business: Hana and cooking. Mayu and talking.
- Shrinking Violet: Hana
- Stalker with a Crush: Megane
- Sweat Drop: Mayu, a lot.
- Those Two Guys: Kouta and Ryuichi
- Verbal Backspace: Yamamoto does this often around Mayu.Yamamoto: (to Mayu) You turn me on (Mura Mura).
(Mayu blushes and self-consciously covers herself)``
Yamamoto: Sorry, I said it wrong. You irritate (ira ira) me.
- Woman Scorned: Played with, in that Yumi (Mayu's mom) constantly thinks that her husband is cheating on her.