After Doomsday is a Science Fiction novel by Poul Anderson, in which ships of interstellar traveling humans return home and find it utterly destroyed. It recounts their efforts to survive, locate other humans, and discover what happened.
- Adam and Eve Plot: The women on one ship are aware this doesn't work and that if humanity is to survive, each woman will need to have children by several men, to increase the gene pool.
- Artistic License Physics: The crew rigs up some kinda space/time manipulator watchacallit to allow sound in space by vibrating other ship's hulls.
- Ballad of X: The Ballad of Brandobar is written in the Common Tongue of the sector, and taught to aliens as a drinking song in hopes that other humans will hear it and come to the Ben Franklin's position.
- Bury Your Gays: A crewman is murdered in cold blood for proposing to another. The murderer ? He isn't sanctioned and will have a Heroic Sacrifice later on.
- But What About the Astronauts?: The central plot
- The Captain: On the men's ship, he falls apart; on the women's, she leads the ship onward.
- Evil Virtues: The Kandemirians rule their subject races fairly and have very strong loyalties within their own clans.
- False Flag Operation: Against Kandemir.
- Hope Is Scary: A friendly alien still doesn't get it.
- Humans Are White: The survivors ? The men are from the US and there is no mention of any being black or asian. The women are from Europe.
- The Leader: Donnan. He even orders the captain about at first, and later takes the captaincy.
- Worthy Opponent: Tarkamat of Kandemir.
- You Are in Command Now: The second officer on the men's ship can not cope.