"We need a little less Forever 21 and a little more Suddenly 42"
— Maura Ellis
This film provides examples of:
- Adult Fear: While Kate is portrayed as a rather irresponsible parent, you can't really blame her for her worrying about her young teenage daughter, Haley, constantly running off to an unnamed friend Kate has presumably never met and has no other details on. This was not helped by the fact that it turned out Haley was living with Maura all along and neither she nor even their parents told Kate, and then there's Haley falling into a sinkhole.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Kate tells Pazuzu that he was exactly the kind of guy she was attracted to in her youth. Maura, however, is instantly attracted to Nice Guy James.
- Ass Shove: James slips on the floor and ends up with a music box ballerina inside him.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Kate and Maura's parents are very cheerful people but after their daughters' shenanigans wreck their property, they really get harsh."Asses up!"
- Butch Lesbian: Two of them attend the party. Maura says she wishes being gay was a choice as she likes the shorts and boots look.
- Cat Fight: Between Maura and Kate that ends up with both of them Mud Wrestling.
- Chekhov's Gun: The frequency of sinkholes is mentioned by Dave early on.
- Chekhov's Skill: Kate's ability to climb a wall comes in handy in the climax.
- Coitus Interruptus: Kate and Maura do this to their own parents.
- Covert Pervert: Maura's opening scene implies that she's secretly this as she tells an elderly male patient he needs lotion on his groin despite his protestations.
- Foolish Sibling, Responsible Sibling: Kate is the mess, Maura is the responsible one. At their party they try to invert their usual roles: Maura wants to have fun and Kate reluctantly agrees to remain sober.
- Formerly Fat: James tells Maura that he used to be a lot heavier, now he looks like Ike Barinholtz.
- Incredibly Lame Fun: The movie plays young Maura as having such. Her "fun" involved having "changed the grit on [her] rock tumbler"; contrast with Kate dancing extensively and sleeping around.
- Insistent Terminology: Kate takes umbrage to being called a hothead. "I'm brassy!"
- Long List: Pazuzu's list of drugs he has on offer.Pazuzu: What'chu want? I got ketamine, MDMA, Adderall, Bromo-Dragonfly, heroin, coke, crack, codeine, oxys, percs, vikes, PCP, LSD, Dilaudid, mescaline, mushrooms, bath salts, cortisone, Toradol. I got Molly. I got her sister Sandra. I got big Frank. I got birth control, I got Plan B. I got that morphine from China they took off the market. Shit to make your dick hard, shit to make your dick soft, shit'll find your dick. That shit there's from Kenya, supposed to be a scurvy cure for silverback gorillas but for humans it just makes them violently masturbate. Did I say crack? Because I got more of that, too. I got some Ibuprofen, Aspirin. I got Flintstone Gummies if you want.
- Mama Bear: Kate jumps into a sinkhole after her daughter falls into it.
- Misplaced-Names Poster: The image for this page shows Tina Fey's name under Amy Poehler's face and vice versa.
- Nice Girl: Maura wants to do nothing but help her family, friends, and even random strangers, regardless of whether her help is needed. Played for Laughs when the sisters read from their diaries in the bathtub:Maura: I didn't smoke pot because I was afraid there wouldn't be enough for everyone.
- Political Correctness Gone Mad: Brinda during the sinkhole crisis.Brinda: Everyone say a non-denominational silent prayer to themselves, please.
- Safe Word: Pazuzu's safe word is "keep going".
- She Is All Grown Up: Maura apparently: when Dave reacquaints himself with her and Kate, he remarks that while Kate is still as hot as she was in high school, Maura "became a peach".
- Team Mom: Maura's designated character in any teen outings in her youth. She pleads with Kate to take the role. Kate fails miserably.
- Unwanted Assistance: Maura is always eager to help others whether or not they want or need it, and is eventually lectured by her parents that her help is not always wanted.
- Wacky Parent, Serious Child: Haley is the serious daughter to her flighty mother Kate, even sometimes scolding her for her irresponsibility.
- Wild Teen Party: When the sisters were young they had several of these, the party featured in the film also devolves into this minus the teen part.