The daimyo of a peaceful village is slain in a coup d'etat, with his children being forced to flee. Years later, the usurper has proven to be a brutal and cruel ruler, prompting the people to rally around the returning children for salvation. However, with the daimyo's forces being far better armed than the people, they must awaken the statue of vengeful god Daimajin to save the day. However, Daimajin's wrath is not easily sated...
This film contains examples of:
- Antagonist Title: While
- Anti-Hero: Daimajin is the one who saves the people from those who would do them harm, but that doesn't necessarily make him a hero. In fact, Daijamin has actually taken out his anger on both the villain and heroes alike, only stopping until his wrath is sated.
- Big Bad: Odate Samanosuke, The Usurper of the village's lordship.
- The Coup: The first fifteen minutes of the film depict Odate's coup against his lord and the ensuing massacre of the loyalists.
- Dramatic Thunder; Daimajin's awakening causes a thunderstorm to start out of nowhere.
- Evil vs. Evil: A wrathful Knight Templar of a god vs. A ruthless usurper.
- From Nobody to Nightmare: Odate Samonosuke started off as a poor vagrant, and ends up as a cruel daimyo.
- Game Face: Daimajin's face is usually covered by a gray, expressionless mask, but when he awakens for some vengeance, he waves his hand and a green, scowling face appears instead.
- Greater-Scope Paragon: Shino, the God of Good who kept Daimajin trapped in the mountains for centuries before the film.
- Kaiju: Daimajin, the giant animated statue of a vengeful god.
- Karamic Death: Any main antagonist of the film usually ends up dying the way he intended to kill the heroes.
- Knight Templar: Daimajin awakens when there's great strife and cruelty to destroy whomever causes it. However, he sees any kind of discord as a killing offense, and typically ends up attacking everybody around. He can be sated by an altruistic sacrifice.
- Living Statue: Daimajin's earthly form is a giant samurai statue. Despite its stony exterior, it appears to be biological, since chiseling it makes it bleed.
- Noble Demon: Daimajin is by no means a benevolent figure. He's a violent and vengeful demon who could easily kill everyone around him. However, he mostly seems to target those who bring great suffering onto others, and seems to show some level of pity to the villagers.
- Rightful King Returns: The two children of a deposed lord summon a vengeful god to get their throne back.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: A god is summoned to slaughter the usurpers of a daimyo's throne.
- The Usurper: The main antagonists are a group of samurai who overthrew their daimyo and now have a cruel reign.