Stealing Harry is a fan fiction written by Sam The Storyteller. Its summary says it best "Stealing Harry grabs canon by the throat and disembowls it. If Lucius Malfoy got to Peter Pettigrew before Sirius could, Sirius would be a bookshop owner, Remus would have a steady job, and one day, when Harry Potter was eight-and-a-half years old, they might kidnap him from the Dursleys..."
The work is very popular among Remus/Sirius shippers, though others enjoy it as well. Sadly, though Stealing Harry is complete, its sequel, Laocoon's Children, is a Dead Fic. Proceed with caution.
It can be found here as well as many other places.
This page requires some Wiki Magic.
Tropes in this work include:
- Abusive Parents: Vernon and Petunia. As in canon, they lock Harry in a tiny closet and allow Dudley to bully him relentlessly. Witnessing this treatment is what motivates Sirius to forcibly take custody of Harry and give him a happier life.
- Narcissa. Having lost Lucius to Azkaban, Narcissa is left in disgrace. She doesn't take her situation well and takes out her frequent, unpredictable bouts of anger out on poor Draco.
- Adaptational Badass: While no slouch in canon, Nymphadora Tonks is much more accomplished thanks to her expanded role including becomind the second-year D.A instructor instead of Lockheart, and killing the basilisk
- Adaptational Villainy: Peter Pettigrew is far worse here than he ever was in canon, and stronger as well. He's the main antagonist of The Philosopher's Stone rather than Quirrel, who is just his Dragon
- Adult Fear: Sirius and Remus must deal with the fact that Harry is the target of many dangerous people, including Peter Pettigrew.
- Lucius Malfoy has gone round the bend after years in Azkaban. He escapes in the third installment of the series and heads off to find his one and only heir, Draco. This doesn't sit well with Sirius or the other adults.
- Ascended Extra: Many minor characters that were only mentioned briefly in JKR's books are given bigger roles in the Stealing Harryverse. For example, Padma replaces Hermoine as The Smart Guy of Harry's group.
- Alt Fic
- Badass Gay: Remus. Sirius also counts, although he's more Badass Bisexual.
- Big Bad Duumvirate: Bellatrix and Peter Pettigrew in the first story.
- Expands to Peter, Quirrell, and Voldemort in the second, as per canon.
- Big Brother Bully: Though his cousin, not his brother, this trope fits Dudley to a tee.
- Big Friendly Dog: Harry thinks Padfoot is this. Padfoot is also a hit with other children, who love to play with him.
- BlessedWithSuck: Remus is a werewolf as in canon, which means that he has to deal with painfully transforming into a slavering beast once a month, discrimination from other wizards, and strange dreams of another universe where things went very wrong (i.e. the canonverse). On the upside, he is mostly impervious to starvation, curses, and injury, and possesses an amazing healing factor. The disturbing dreams that he gets tend to show up when Harry is in trouble, allowing Remus to predict when something bad is going to happen.
- The Bully: Sticking with canon, Dudley.
- The Cameo: Two from Good Omens. A 'Mr. Fell' is mentioned briefly, having been one of Remus' paramours before he got together with Sirius. Crowley is also mentioned.
- Changeling Fantasy: Well, it is based on Harry Potter, but Harry finds out about being a wizard sooner in this fic.
- Crossover: With canon, in that Remus has dreams about his canon existence.
- Cheerful Child: Harry. Despite years of living with the Dursleys, Harry is still a bright and inquisitive child. He gradually becomes more open and cheerful under Sirius and Remus' care.
- Neville, once he starts living with Andromeda and Ted.
- Dead Fic: Laocoon's Children, the sequel, which leaves off in the third book and is officially confirmed dead.
- Everyone Can See It: Andromeda assumed Remus and Sirius were gay together years before they actually were.
- Experimented In School: Sirius, with James. Though not as far as he says.
- Forgets to Eat: Remus. As a werewolf, he's impervious to essentially everything, so being hungry doesn't affect him. Combined with his inability to hold down a job, this leads to him nearly starving to death.
- Good Parental Substitutes: Remus and Sirius. Also, Ted and Andromeda Tonks.
- Green-Eyed Epiphany: How Sirius realized he liked Remus. Too many "old book collectors" for his taste.
- Happily Adopted: Harry, after Remus and Sirius 'kidnap' him from Petunia and Vernon Dursley.
- Also Neville, after his gran is killed and he moves in with the Tonkses.
- If It's You, It's OK: Sirius likes girls. Remus is his exception.
- Intimate Healing: Sirius tries this on Remus. It works as intended, but Remus feels completely betrayed once he's actually more than half-concious.
- Kissing Under the Influence: Sirius and James, when they were younger.
- Little Boys Love Stuffed Animals: Harry. His only toy when he is with the Dursleys is a toy frog he found and refused to be parted with.
- Made of Iron: Lupin. Being a werewolf has blessed Lupin with incredible healing abilities and resistance to most curses. He can take an Killing Curse full-on with only a splitting headache afterwards.
- Meaningful Name: Almost everyone, sticking to JKR's canon.
- Meaningful Rename: Harry's alias as Professor Snape's nephew is "Parvus Rana," which means "small frog."
- Mr. Fanservice: Sirius, to the point where he's seen as one of the most eligible bachelors in the wizarding world, and much speculation is made of his dating life. They all seem to overlook his "valet" Remus Lupin.
- Nigh-Invulnerability: Remus. His weaknesses are fire, silver, beheading, and other werewolves. Which means he is protected from the Killing Curse.
- Papa Wolf: Both Remus and Sirius.
- ShrinkingViolet: In this continuity, Draco Malfoy is a shy, timid boy that tries to avoid attention.
- Sssssnake Talk: Just like in canon, Harry.
- Took a Level in Badass: Unfortunately, Peter Pettigrew.
- Wouldn't Hurt a Child: Remus, "Hit him?" the man [Remus] asked. "I'd as soon hit a child.'
- Would Hurt a Child: Bellatrix, Peter Pettigrew... Let's just say basically all the bad guys.