A Finnish film director who rose to prominence in the late 1980s with special-effects filled horror movies, and followed them in the 90s with several action movies.
- Born American (1986)
- Prison (1988)
- A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master (1988)
- The Adventures of Ford Fairlane (1990)
- Die Hard 2 (1990)
- Cliffhanger (1993)
- Cutthroat Island (1995)
- The Long Kiss Goodnight (1996)
- Deep Blue Sea (1999)
- T.R.A.X. (2000) — A pilot for an unmade horror series.
- Driven (2001)
- Mindhunters (2004)
- Exorcist: The Beginning (2004)
- The Covenant (2006)
- Cleaner (2007)
- 12 Rounds (2009)
- 5 Days of War (2011)
- Devil's Pass (2013)
- The Legend of Hercules (2014)
- Skiptrace (2016)
Tropes for the man:
- Creator Thumbprint: References to Finland, his home country. These range from prominent ones (like the parachute with a Finnish flag on it in Cliffhanger) to blink-and-miss-it examples (like a bottle of Finlandia brand vodka in The Long Kiss Goddnight and Deep Blue Sea).
- Hate Sink: Unlike most films where this trope and Big Bad are kept separate, Harlin makes the villains also this due to their attitudes and actions, a good example would be the most loathsome group of terrorists in Cliffhanger.