Nora Lum (born June 2, 1988), known professionally as Awkwafina, is an American rapper and actress of Chinese and South Korean descent.
Awkwafina first received attention for her viral rap song "My Vag" in 2012, itself a response track to Mickey Avalon's hit song "My Dick". Off the back of its success, she released her full-length debut album, Yellow Ranger, in 2014, which was then followed by the In Fina We Trust EP in 2018.
Since Girl Code, Awkwafina has transitioned into high-profile acting projects, which included Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising, Regular Show, and Future Man. In 2018, she starred in two major motion pictures: Ocean's 8, a spinoff to the Ocean's Eleven franchise, and Crazy Rich Asians, an adaptation of the book of the same by name by Kevin Kwan. Later that year, she became the second-ever woman of Asian descent to host Saturday Night Live. In 2019, she played against type in the dramedy The Farewell, and won a Golden Globe for Best Actress in a Musical or Comedy. In 2021, she made her Marvel Cinematic Universe debut as one of the leads in Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings playing Canon Foreigner Katy Chen, Shang-Chi's closest friend.
- Yellow Ranger (2014)
- In Fina We Trust EP (2018)
- Girl Code (2014 — 2015) as herself
- Girl Code Live (2015)
- Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising (2016) as Christine
- Storks (2016) as Quail (voice)
- Regular Show (2016) as Apple (voice)
- Future Man (2017) as Woman at Video Game Store
- Ocean's 8 (2018) as Constance
- Crazy Rich Asians (2018) as Goh Peik Lin
- Saturday Night Live (2018) as herself (host)
- Tuca & Bertie (2019) as Bertie's Left Boob (voice)
- The Farewell (2019) as Billi
- The Angry Birds Movie 2 (2019) as Courtney (voice)
- The Simpsons (2019) as Carmen / Dr. Chang (voice)
- The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance (2019) as SkekLach The Collector (voice)
- Jumanji: The Next Level (2019) as Ming
- Awkwafina is Nora from Queens (2020) as Nora Lin
- The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge on the Run (2020) as Otto (voice)
- Raya and the Last Dragon (2021) as Sisu (voice)
- Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (2021) as Katy Chen
- The Little Mermaid (TBA) as Scuttle (voice)
Tropes applying to her work:
- Typecasting: She tends to play the brash, mouthy comic relief.
- Vocal Dissonance: Despite her waifish appearance (5'2" and 120 lbs) she has a notably raspy voice she admits (on a "Celebrities Read Mean Tweets" segment of The Tonight Show) makes her sound like "a fifty-eight year old divorce attorney."